|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fowler get to the city of Phat Diem?
(a) He drives with Pyle.
(b) He takes the train.
(c) Fowler goes by boat to the city of Phat Diem.
(d) He flies with the French troops.
2. Fowler wants to make love to Phuong but accepts the opium pipes instead. Why?
(a) It keeps him busy so he does not have time to think about her.
(b) He knows if he smokes more than four pipes, he will lose his desire for her.
(c) He hopes she will make the first move if he accepts the pipes.
(d) He is more addicted to opium than he is to Phuong.
3. What alibi does Fowler give for his whereabouts?
(a) He says he was at the Continental and then saw a movie and later had dinner. People would remember him at these places.
(b) He says he was with Phuong all evening long.
(c) He says he had a party at his house from seven until eleven.
(d) He says that he was at the clinic getting an allergy shot.
4. What about the meeting really surprises Fowler?
(a) Fowler does not understand why Granger would help him.
(b) Fowler wonders why the Saigon surete is out there.
(c) Fowler observes that Pyle mysteriously has very good equipment.
(d) Fowler is surprised to learn Hei is in the underground.
5. What feeling does Vigot reveal about Pyle's murder?
(a) He says he has no feeling because he never met Pyle.
(b) He is sad that they got Pyle instead of some outrageous American.
(c) He cannot believe someone would kill such a gentle person.
(d) Vigot says he is not sorry that Pyle is dead because he was causing a lot of harm.
6. What information does Fowler offer Pyle?
(a) He tells Pyle at what times of the day what roads and parts of town are safe.
(b) He tells Pyle where to find beautiful Vietnamese women.
(c) He tells Pyle how to bargain with a trishaw driver.
(d) He tells Pyle where to find a great Vietnamese tailor.
7. What is Alden Pyle's Passion?
(a) Scotch and soda
(b) Getting the French out of Vietnam
(c) To reform and redeem the entire universe
8. What does Fowler think is Pyle's obsession?
(a) Weeding corrupt administrators out of charities
(b) Politics and York Harding's theory of democracy and public policy
(c) Getting Coca Cola into every country in the world
(d) Taking out corrupt politicians in countries friendly to the USA
9. What restriction is imposed by the French after the battle of Phat Diem?
(a) No one is allowed near the river.
(b) No one can leave the area without a security check.
(c) No one can return to Saigon until reinforcements arrive.
(d) No journalists, including Fowler, are allowed to report it.
10. What does Fowler see when he goes out?
(a) He sees that the Vietminh have set up a hospital to treat the wounded.
(b) He sees that the United Nations is there to help the survivors.
(c) He sees that the town was not touched and most people are alive.
(d) He sees bodies and body parts floating in canals, some covered with flies, some lying dead on the road.
11. What book does Pyle go on and on about?
(a) The Red Badge of Courage
(b) The History of War
(c) Democracy and the Eastern Cultures
(d) The Yellow Peril
12. Why does Pyle suddenly want to leave the Continental?
(a) Pyle sees that Phuong is going home with Fowler and he gets sad.
(b) Pyle sees someone across the room and thinks it might be trouble.
(c) Pyle receives a phone call and says that he needs to go right away.
(d) A vulgar floorshow with female impersonators begins and Plyle thinks is not suitable for Phuong.
13. What is the difference between Fowler and Pyle?
(a) Fowler knows all the big players; Pyle knew only the subordinates.
(b) Fowler has no fear; Pyle was afraid of his shadow.
(c) Fowler is new to the country; Pyle knew the risks he was taking.
(d) Fowler understands Vietnam and loves it; Pyle did not understand Viet Nam and wanted to save it.
14. What is the name of York's theory In which Pyle believes?
(a) The Third Force
(b) The Mind's Eye
(c) The Last Stand
(d) The Magnum Force
15. What is Lieutenant Peraud's obsession?
(a) Peraud is mad about Vietnamese art.
(b) Peraud is devoted to Our Lady of Fatima.
(c) Peraud is infatuated with every woman he meets.
(d) Peraud has a phobia against germs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumors about Pyle have been circulated and find their way to Phuong?
2. Where do Pyle and Fowler want to go?
3. Where and with whom is Thomas Fowler as The Quiet American begins?
4. What does Pyle say about his importing plastics?
5. What seems to be Vigot's main concern?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)