|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Pyle and Fowler want to go?
(a) Pyle wants to go to America and Fowler wants to go to England.
(b) They say they would like to go to Cambodia.
(c) They both want to go to Bangkok.
(d) Both Pyle and Fowler express interest in going to Phat Diem to access the situation.
2. What is Alden Pyle's publicly known job?
(a) He works for the Economic Aid Mission.
(b) He is a battery manufacturer.
(c) He is a reporter for the New York Times.
(d) He works for Harvard University.
3. Who comes to the table to talk to Fowler while Pyle and Phuong are dancing?
(a) Miss Hei, Phuong's older sister, comes to speak to Fowler.
(b) The Continental manager comes over to Fowler's table.
(c) A French soldier asks Fowler for a light.
(d) Lieutenant Virot comes to join Fowler.
4. What ridiculous suggestion does Pyle make?
(a) That Fowler give the bride away.
(b) That Phuong moves in with her sister until they are married.
(c) That he and Phuong should have blood tests to see if they could have children.
(d) That they should see a priest about pre-Cana sessions.
5. What does Fowler say when Phuong says Miss Hei does not believe he will marry her?
(a) He tells her they can live together and his wife will divorce him.
(b) He tells her he just wrote a letter to his wife asking for a divorce.
(c) He tells her that he had lied; he isn't married after all.
(d) He tells her he can marry her without getting a divorce.
6. Where and with whom is Thomas Fowler as The Quiet American begins?
(a) He is walking along the beach on the China Sea.
(b) The story opens with Fowler in his rooms over the rue Catinat in Saigon with his beautiful young lover Phuong.
(c) He is at the Continental having a cappuccino with his editor.
(d) He is flying into Saigon from a trip he made to England.
7. Besides Phuong, why does Fowler really want to stay in Vietnam?
(a) He thinks he can be an editor in Vietnam.
(b) He takes pride in his apathy and lack of views. He does not want to be an editor but an observer.
(c) He thinks there is going to be a major break for the French in the war soon.
(d) He wants to put Pyle in his place.
8. What does Fowler think about the prospects of the French holding the north?
(a) He thinks that the French can hold Northern Vietnam if the Chinese don't intervene.
(b) He thinks the French will have to bring in allies to help.
(c) He thinks it will be a decades long standoff.
(d) He thinks the French will pull out and leave it for the communists.
9. Why is Miss Hei interested in Pyle?
(a) He is young and looks like a possible marriage partner for Phuong.
(b) He is handsome and she wants to marry him.
(c) She wants to sell him some opium.
(d) She is a Vietnamese undercover agent.
10. How does Pyle see himself?
(a) He describes himself as an observer with no real views on the war.
(b) He sees himself as a serious backer of the French.
(c) He sees himself as being trapped where he doesn't want to be.
(d) He sees himself as a possible source of winning information.
11. Why does Pyle suddenly want to leave the Continental?
(a) A vulgar floorshow with female impersonators begins and Plyle thinks is not suitable for Phuong.
(b) Pyle receives a phone call and says that he needs to go right away.
(c) Pyle sees that Phuong is going home with Fowler and he gets sad.
(d) Pyle sees someone across the room and thinks it might be trouble.
12. Why does Vigot speak softly to Fowler?
(a) Vigot tells Fowler that Phuong is a spy.
(b) Vigot tells him that Pyle has been murdered.
(c) Vigot gives Fowler a message from Pyle.
(d) Vigot offers to buy Phuong.
13. What alibi does Fowler give for his whereabouts?
(a) He says he was with Phuong all evening long.
(b) He says that he was at the clinic getting an allergy shot.
(c) He says he was at the Continental and then saw a movie and later had dinner. People would remember him at these places.
(d) He says he had a party at his house from seven until eleven.
14. Why does Fowler go to Pyle's apartment?
(a) To find a book he had lent Pyle
(b) To pick up Phuong's things
(c) To look for clues
(d) To meeti with Vigot
15. How was Pyle killed?
(a) Someone shot him in the head.
(b) Someone strangled him and threw his body in the river.
(c) Someone poured gasoline on him and set him on fire.
(d) Someone stabbed him before dumping his body in the mud and he drowned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phuong's response when Fowler tells her Pyle had invited himself to Fowler's apartment for a drink?
2. What rumors about Pyle have been circulated and find their way to Phuong?
3. Fowler translates for Phuong that Pyle loves her and wants to marry her. What is Phuong's response?
4. What feeling does Vigot reveal about Pyle's murder?
5. What does Phuong tell Vigot about her and Pyle?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)