|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Fowler and the others eventually leave Phat Diem?
(a) They make a huge raft and go down the river that Fowler came up on.
(b) Fowler marches with others through farmland. Everyone's nerves are taut with fear yet it is very boring.
(c) They are rescued at night by French helicopters.
(d) They stay in the cathedarl until the French retake the city.
2. Where do Pyle and Fowler want to go?
(a) Pyle wants to go to America and Fowler wants to go to England.
(b) They say they would like to go to Cambodia.
(c) They both want to go to Bangkok.
(d) Both Pyle and Fowler express interest in going to Phat Diem to access the situation.
3. What makes Vigot even more suspicious of Fowler?
(a) Fowler does not ask Vigot if there are any other suspects.
(b) Fowler does not act surprised when he finds out Pyle is dead, and that adds to Vigot's suspicions.
(c) Fowler does not offer an alibi for his whereabouts that night.
(d) Fowler becomes unconsolable when he learns of Pyle's death.
4. Why does Fowler suddenly have a big suspicion about Pyle?
(a) Because his military equipment does not seem like what an Economic attache needs.
(b) Because he knew exactly where Fowler was when he came to rescue him.
(c) Because he suspects Pyle really wants him dead.
(d) Because he doesn't undertand Pyle's urgency to get Phuong.
5. What does Pyle notice the first time Fowler meets him?
(a) The time on the big clock in the square.
(b) The Milk Fountain where Vietnamese people buy malted milks.
(c) That Fowler is left-handed.
(d) The spies who are trailing Fowler.
6. Why is the American Attache upset?
(a) He thinks the French should stay out of it.
(b) He is upset seeing Fowler on the scene.
(c) He wis called out of bed to come to Pyle's apartment.
(d) He knows Pyle's father.
7. Why does Pyle suddenly want to leave the Continental?
(a) Pyle receives a phone call and says that he needs to go right away.
(b) Pyle sees someone across the room and thinks it might be trouble.
(c) Pyle sees that Phuong is going home with Fowler and he gets sad.
(d) A vulgar floorshow with female impersonators begins and Plyle thinks is not suitable for Phuong.
8. What does Miss Hei tell Pyle when he and Phuong return to the table?
(a) Miss Hei tells Pyle that Phuong has a younger sister he can have.
(b) Miss Hei tells Pyle that Phuong is a perfect match for Fowler.
(c) Miss Hei tells Pyle that the dance will cost him one thousand francs.
(d) Miss Hei tells Pyle that Phuong is the most beautiful woman in Saigon and needs care and protection.
9. What is the name of York's theory In which Pyle believes?
(a) The Third Force
(b) The Mind's Eye
(c) The Last Stand
(d) The Magnum Force
10. Instead of Pyle, who comes to Fowler's door after midnight?
(a) It is Phuong's elder sister who is trying to get Phuong married to an American.
(b) It is the landlord wanting to know why the lights are still on.
(c) It is a messenger from the US embassy.
(d) It is a messenger from Vigot, a French officer who is a casual social acquaintance of Fowler.
11. What is the conflicting report about the war in the North?
(a) Granger says General The is fighting with the French and the attache says General The is dead.
(b) The attache says the Vietminh are retreating but Granger says they are coming to Saigon.
(c) Some say the Americans are pulling out and others say the Germans are coming.
(d) Granger says the French are doing well in the northwest, but the Attaché reports that the Vietminh are about to take Phat Diem.
12. What is Graham Greene's definition of the quiet American?
(a) An American who works alone in a large office.
(b) An American who has lost his voice.
(c) The Teddy Roosevelt type who speaks softly but carries a big stick.
(d) Not the obnoxious pushy kind of person that is often the stereotype of Americans in foreign countries.
13. What restriction is imposed by the French after the battle of Phat Diem?
(a) No one is allowed near the river.
(b) No one can leave the area without a security check.
(c) No one can return to Saigon until reinforcements arrive.
(d) No journalists, including Fowler, are allowed to report it.
14. Fowler translates for Phuong that Pyle loves her and wants to marry her. What is Phuong's response?
(a) She runs and jumps in Pyle's lap.
(b) She turns him down.
(c) She says he will have to ask Hei.
(d) She has no reaction at all.
15. Returning to the night Fowler met Pyle, where was he?
(a) He was strolling along the rue Catinat.
(b) He was meeting Vigot at the surete.
(c) He was fishing in the river.
(d) He and Phuong were dining at the Continental.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fowler think is Pyle's obsession?
2. How was Pyle killed?
3. What are the results of the battle that follows the Vietminh's infiltration?
4. Who surprises Fowler by showing up during the march out of Phat Diem?
5. Fowler, who is British, has developed what feeling about Vietnam?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)