|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fowler think about the prospects of the French holding the north?
(a) He thinks the French will have to bring in allies to help.
(b) He thinks the French will pull out and leave it for the communists.
(c) He thinks that the French can hold Northern Vietnam if the Chinese don't intervene.
(d) He thinks it will be a decades long standoff.
2. What does Miss Hei want from Fowler?
(a) To see him some opium
(c) Information about Pyle
(d) Permission to visit Phuong at his apartment
3. Where do Granger, Joe and Pyle decide to go?
(a) They decide to go to Fowler's apartment.
(b) They decide to go to the Majestic theater.
(c) They decide to go next door to the House of Five Hundred Girls.
(d) They decide to go to the American embassy.
4. Fowler translates for Phuong that Pyle loves her and wants to marry her. What is Phuong's response?
(a) She turns him down.
(b) She has no reaction at all.
(c) She runs and jumps in Pyle's lap.
(d) She says he will have to ask Hei.
5. What is Pyle trying to hide but everyone suspects anyway?
(a) That he is there on some kind of secret mission.
(b) That he has a venereal disease.
(c) That he does not really like girls.
(d) That he is really from Russia.
6. Fowler has a good story, so why does he not send it?
(a) He thinks it might demoralize the troops.
(b) He realizes it will not pass government censorship.
(c) He doesn't believe anyone will believe it.
(d) He doesn't have photos to back his story up.
7. What does Fowler do to see who will win Phuong?
(a) He plays a dice game and suddenly tells Pyle that he's going back to England.
(b) He sends a message to London that Fowler has not returned from Phat Diem.
(c) He proposes marriage to Phuong as soon as he can get a divorce.
(d) He wires his new service and turns down the job.
8. How do Fowler and the others eventually leave Phat Diem?
(a) They make a huge raft and go down the river that Fowler came up on.
(b) They stay in the cathedarl until the French retake the city.
(c) Fowler marches with others through farmland. Everyone's nerves are taut with fear yet it is very boring.
(d) They are rescued at night by French helicopters.
9. What alibi does Fowler give for his whereabouts?
(a) He says he was at the Continental and then saw a movie and later had dinner. People would remember him at these places.
(b) He says that he was at the clinic getting an allergy shot.
(c) He says he was with Phuong all evening long.
(d) He says he had a party at his house from seven until eleven.
10. What is Phuong's favorite reading subject matter?
(a) The British Royal Family, especially Princess Margaret
(b) The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
(c) The stock market in the Wall Street Journal
(d) The latest scandals in Hollywood
11. What does Fowler find so annoying about the letter from Pyle?
(a) The letter is annoyingly long.
(b) The letter is annoyingly illiterate.
(c) The letter is annoyingly rude.
(d) The letter is annoyingly boyish.
12. What does Fowler say when Phuong says Miss Hei does not believe he will marry her?
(a) He tells her that he had lied; he isn't married after all.
(b) He tells her he can marry her without getting a divorce.
(c) He tells her they can live together and his wife will divorce him.
(d) He tells her he just wrote a letter to his wife asking for a divorce.
13. How does Fowler see most of the men in the press corps?
(a) Fowler finds his American colleagues in the press to be big, noisy, boyish and middle-aged types.
(b) He sees them as being very familiar with the culture of Vietnam.
(c) He sees them as men who could not get a job anywhere else.
(d) He sees them as quiet, hard working professionals.
14. Where and with whom is Thomas Fowler as The Quiet American begins?
(a) He is at the Continental having a cappuccino with his editor.
(b) He is walking along the beach on the China Sea.
(c) The story opens with Fowler in his rooms over the rue Catinat in Saigon with his beautiful young lover Phuong.
(d) He is flying into Saigon from a trip he made to England.
15. How does Pyle tell Fowler he got to Phat Diem?
(a) Pyle relates how he came to Phat Diem alone and by boat.
(b) Pyle says he parachuetted out of a plane.
(c) Pyle tells Fowler he hiked the whole way.
(d) Pyle says he came in a military Jeep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letters does Fowler write to be mailed from Hong Kong by a departing journalist?
2. What is Alden Pyle's publicly known job?
3. What is in the telegram Fowler receives form London?
4. In contrast to the American press corps men, how does Fowler assess Pyle?
5. Why is Phuong unhappy with Pyle and not want to see him?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)