|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2 Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Pyle tell Fowler he got to Phat Diem?
(a) Pyle says he came in a military Jeep.
(b) Pyle says he parachuetted out of a plane.
(c) Pyle tells Fowler he hiked the whole way.
(d) Pyle relates how he came to Phat Diem alone and by boat.
2. What does Miss Hei want from Fowler?
(a) To see him some opium
(c) Information about Pyle
(d) Permission to visit Phuong at his apartment
3. What does Fowler see when he goes out?
(a) He sees bodies and body parts floating in canals, some covered with flies, some lying dead on the road.
(b) He sees that the United Nations is there to help the survivors.
(c) He sees that the Vietminh have set up a hospital to treat the wounded.
(d) He sees that the town was not touched and most people are alive.
4. What does Miss Hei tell Pyle when he and Phuong return to the table?
(a) Miss Hei tells Pyle that Phuong is the most beautiful woman in Saigon and needs care and protection.
(b) Miss Hei tells Pyle that the dance will cost him one thousand francs.
(c) Miss Hei tells Pyle that Phuong is a perfect match for Fowler.
(d) Miss Hei tells Pyle that Phuong has a younger sister he can have.
5. What is Graham Greene's definition of the quiet American?
(a) Not the obnoxious pushy kind of person that is often the stereotype of Americans in foreign countries.
(b) An American who has lost his voice.
(c) An American who works alone in a large office.
(d) The Teddy Roosevelt type who speaks softly but carries a big stick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pyle feel the need to speak to Fowler at all?
2. What happens to wounded French soldiers when no helicopters are available to rescue them?
3. What does Vigot allow Fowler to do in Pyle's apartment?
4. While waiting for Pyle who is three hours late, what does Phuong do for Fowler?
5. Who comes to the table to talk to Fowler while Pyle and Phuong are dancing?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)