|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thomas Fowler doing in Vietnam?
(a) He is looking for a young Asian wife.
(b) He is covering the war in Vietnam in 1952 in which the French armies are fighting against the Communist Vietminh.
(c) He is on holiday from his correspondance post in India.
(d) He is writing a book about the Vietnamese people.
2. What is Fowler thinking as he watches Pyle and Phuong dancing?
(a) He thinks about what a good dancer Pyle is.
(b) He thinks about his late wife.
(c) He thinks about his opium pipe.
(d) Fowler recalls how she used to dance at the Grand Monde.
3. What rather obnoxious person comes to the table where Fowler, Joe the Attache, Pyle, and Phuong are seated?
(a) The American Finance Attache.
(b) An American journalist named Granger.
(c) The British Consul.
(d) A messenger from the surete.
4. What seems to be Vigot's main concern?
(a) Finishing and going to the bar
(b) Writing up a report that will pass the scrutiny of his superiors
(c) Pinning the crime on Fowler
(d) Bribing Fowler to let him have Phuong
5. Instead of Pyle, who comes to Fowler's door after midnight?
(a) It is Phuong's elder sister who is trying to get Phuong married to an American.
(b) It is a messenger from the US embassy.
(c) It is a messenger from Vigot, a French officer who is a casual social acquaintance of Fowler.
(d) It is the landlord wanting to know why the lights are still on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the conflicting report about the war in the North?
2. What does Pyle notice the first time Fowler meets him?
3. Why does Vigot tell Fowler he is a suspect in the murder?
4. What offer does Pyle make to Miss Hei?
5. Fowler wants to make love to Phuong but accepts the opium pipes instead. Why?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)