|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Thomas Fowler doing in Vietnam?
(a) He is writing a book about the Vietnamese people.
(b) He is looking for a young Asian wife.
(c) He is on holiday from his correspondance post in India.
(d) He is covering the war in Vietnam in 1952 in which the French armies are fighting against the Communist Vietminh.
2. What is strange about Fowler's relationship with Phuong?
(a) She cannot speak any English or French.
(b) He is old enough to be her grandfather.
(c) He is ashamed to take her out anywhere in public.
(d) They have been together for several years, yet mysteriously she is engaged to marry Alden Pyle.
3. What alibi does Fowler give for his whereabouts?
(a) He says that he was at the clinic getting an allergy shot.
(b) He says he was with Phuong all evening long.
(c) He says he was at the Continental and then saw a movie and later had dinner. People would remember him at these places.
(d) He says he had a party at his house from seven until eleven.
4. What is Alden Pyle's Passion?
(a) Getting the French out of Vietnam
(c) To reform and redeem the entire universe
(d) Scotch and soda
5. What is Alden Pyle's publicly known job?
(a) He is a battery manufacturer.
(b) He is a reporter for the New York Times.
(c) He works for the Economic Aid Mission.
(d) He works for Harvard University.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phuong's favorite reading subject matter?
2. What does the Attache put in the wire to Pyle's parents?
3. Why does Fowler go to Pyle's apartment?
4. Instead of Pyle, who comes to Fowler's door after midnight?
5. What information does Fowler offer Pyle?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)