|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1 Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In contrast to the American press corps men, how does Fowler assess Pyle?
(a) He sees Alden Pyle as a complete fool who should go home.
(b) He sees Alden Pyle as mature beyond his years.
(c) He sees Alden Pyle as modest, serious, quiet, and soft-spoken.
(d) He sees Alden Pyle as a boy who is acting like a man.
2. How does Pyle see himself?
(a) He sees himself as being trapped where he doesn't want to be.
(b) He sees himself as a serious backer of the French.
(c) He sees himself as a possible source of winning information.
(d) He describes himself as an observer with no real views on the war.
3. How does Fowler see most of the men in the press corps?
(a) He sees them as men who could not get a job anywhere else.
(b) Fowler finds his American colleagues in the press to be big, noisy, boyish and middle-aged types.
(c) He sees them as being very familiar with the culture of Vietnam.
(d) He sees them as quiet, hard working professionals.
4. What seems to be Vigot's main concern?
(a) Writing up a report that will pass the scrutiny of his superiors
(b) Pinning the crime on Fowler
(c) Finishing and going to the bar
(d) Bribing Fowler to let him have Phuong
5. What is strange about Fowler's relationship with Phuong?
(a) They have been together for several years, yet mysteriously she is engaged to marry Alden Pyle.
(b) He is old enough to be her grandfather.
(c) He is ashamed to take her out anywhere in public.
(d) She cannot speak any English or French.
Short Answer Questions
1. Is Fowler listening closely to Pyle's ideas about war?
2. Why does Vigot speak softly to Fowler?
3. What is Alden Pyle's publicly known job?
4. What does Vigot allow Fowler to do in Pyle's apartment?
5. What is Alden Pyle's Passion?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)