|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4 Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the telegram Fowler receives form London?
(a) He is fired for not turning in any reports.
(b) They want his report of Phat Diem.
(c) He has been promoted to foreign editor. He will be leaving Vietnam for a desk job in London.
(d) They want him to interview the French commanding general.
2. How does Joe the Attache speak crudely about Phuong?
(a) He asks Phuong what she charges by the hour.
(b) He refers to all Vietnamese women as whores.
(c) He refers to Phuong as Fowler's piece of tail.
(d) He brags that he once had her when she worked in the dancehall.
3. When Fowler goes to see Pyle, to whom does he talk?
(b) Joe, the Economic Attache
(c) Miss Hei
(d) Mr. Heng
4. What is the conflicting report about the war in the North?
(a) The attache says the Vietminh are retreating but Granger says they are coming to Saigon.
(b) Granger says General The is fighting with the French and the attache says General The is dead.
(c) Granger says the French are doing well in the northwest, but the Attaché reports that the Vietminh are about to take Phat Diem.
(d) Some say the Americans are pulling out and others say the Germans are coming.
5. What does Fowler think of the speech the deputy Pope of Caodaism gives him?
(a) That it is canned and insincere.
(b) That is the sincere belief of the Caodaists.
(c) That it is the hope of the Vietnamese people.
(d) That it is incomprehensible.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fowler perceive the man who is selling the place?
2. Why does Pyle suddenly want to leave the Continental?
3. What does Fowler learn from Mr. Chou's manager, Mr. Heng?
4. After Pyle leaves, how long does it take Fowler to get to Saigon?
5. What does a priest offer Fowler?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)