Part 1 Chapter 1
* Thomas Fowler waits for an appointment with Alden Pyle but he never shows up.
* Fowler's lover who had left him for Pyle is waiting in the dark outside his apartment when he gets home.
* Phuong makes an opium pipe ready for Fowler, who takes three more after that.
* A policeman comes to take Fowler and Phuong to the Surete.
* The French policeman interrogates Fowler and Phuong and finally tells Fowler that Pyle has been murdered.
* Fowler knows he is a suspect because of Phuong.
* Vigot asks Fowler about how he first met Pyle.
* They go to the mortuary where Fowler identifies the body.
* Fowler gives Vigot his detailed alibi for last night when Pyle was murdered.
* Vigot says that Pyle was doing a lot of harm.
* Back at the apartment, Fowler explains to Phuong that Pyle is dead. She shows no reaction.
Part 1 Chapter 2
* A flashback...
This section contains 2,047 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)