|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fatio warn William about?
2. What season does Jack wander through Paris?
3. How does dAvaux find out where Eliza has gone when she spends time with Lisolette?
4. Why does John visit the place where Jack is imprisoned?
5. What kind of business does Jack get involved with when he gets back to Amsterdam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Bob come to ask Eliza for help?
2. What kind of life does Eliza tell dAvaux she wants for herself?
3. Why doesn't Arlanc want to be rescued?
4. Where is Daniel held prisoner, and why is this ironic to him?
5. How does Jack make money while in Paris?
6. What happens to Eliza on her trip to Varseilles?
7. What does Liselotte tell the King about Eliza?
8. How does Rossingol discover Eliza is corresponding with members of the Royal Society?
9. What advice does John Churchill give Jack after he is stabbed?
10. Why is Eliza going to Varseilles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wealth is a major motivating factor for a number of characters in this book. Which characters are most affected by this, and what are some of the different ways this love for money is manifested?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)