|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of place does Eliza meet with William for several days after her stay in the convent?
2. What secret did Daniel keep for James?
3. How does Eliza make notes in an unsuspicious way?
4. Why does Rossignol think Eliza spent time in a convent?
5. Why does Eliza want to visit Whitehall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eliza say Jack's business plan in Amsterdam is foolish?
2. Where is Daniel held prisoner, and why is this ironic to him?
3. What kind of life does Eliza tell dAvaux she wants for herself?
4. How is the telling of Monmouth's death different from the rest of the book?
5. What rumor does dAvaux spread that causes Eliza trouble while being a governess?
6. How has Eliza been sending messages without being discovered?
7. How does Jack make money while in Paris?
8. Why doesn't Arlanc want to be rescued?
9. What bothers Jack when he first gets to Paris?
10. Why has Bob come to ask Eliza for help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)