|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think is peculiar about Amsterdam?
2. How does Eliza feel about her status as a commoner?
3. Where does Jack find Arlanc?
4. Whom does Eliza hope to use to get into Whitehall?
5. How long has Daniel known James?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Arlanc want to be rescued?
2. What happens between Eliza and d'Arcachon?
3. What does Eliza send reports to William about?
4. Why does Daniel get a new guard while in prison?
5. What does Newton think Solomon knew, and why?
6. What rumor does dAvaux spread that causes Eliza trouble while being a governess?
7. What is Kuxen?
8. How is the telling of Monmouth's death different from the rest of the book?
9. Why does Eliza say Jack's business plan in Amsterdam is foolish?
10. What kind of life does Eliza tell dAvaux she wants for herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Human nature is a strong symbol and theme in this book. Where does this symbol appear, and what role does it play in the book?
Essay Topic 2
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 3
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)