|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Daniel spend so much time at Whitehall?
2. What does Eliza learn about in Amsterdam?
3. What is Jack imprisoned in?
4. Why does Eliza say she spent time at a convent?
5. What does Daniel say a revolution does not have to include?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is St. George?
2. Why does Daniel get a new guard while in prison?
3. What does Newton think Solomon knew, and why?
4. How does Jack make money while in Paris?
5. Why has Bob come to ask Eliza for help?
6. Why is Rossignol so worried about Eliza's actions?
7. What happens between Eliza and d'Arcachon?
8. Why doesn't Arlanc want to be rescued?
9. Why does Eliza say Jack's business plan in Amsterdam is foolish?
10. Where is Daniel held prisoner, and why is this ironic to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many characters in this book who were manipulated and persuaded to do things they did not want to do. What were some of these instances, and how were those characters affected by the manipulation?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Stephenson presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)