|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of riding does Eliza hope to show Lisolette?
2. What is Jack imprisoned in?
3. How long has Daniel known James?
4. Who is the real Countess de Zeur?
5. What secret did Daniel keep for James?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Newton think Solomon knew, and why?
2. Why does Daniel get a new guard while in prison?
3. Why doesn't Arlanc want to be rescued?
4. What is Kuxen?
5. What advice does John Churchill give Jack after he is stabbed?
6. How has Eliza been sending messages without being discovered?
7. How does Rossingol discover Eliza is corresponding with members of the Royal Society?
8. Why does Eliza say Jack's business plan in Amsterdam is foolish?
9. What does Bob ask Eliza for help with?
10. Why has Bob come to ask Eliza for help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephenson presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 3
What role did slavery play in this plot, and which characters were most affected by the inclusion of the theme of slavery?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)