|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Eliza stay during the day in Amsterdam while Jack wanders?
2. Who is with Jack when Eliza sees him again after their long separation?
3. Where does Eliza see Jack again after their long separation?
4. Whom is King Louis supposed to look like on the stone gate?
5. Whom does Eliza blame when she is treated like a prostitute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is St. George?
2. What does Newton think Solomon knew, and why?
3. How is the telling of Monmouth's death different from the rest of the book?
4. Why are Bob and Dick sent to visit Daniel in prison?
5. Why does Eliza say Jack's business plan in Amsterdam is foolish?
6. Why has Bob come to ask Eliza for help?
7. What rumor does dAvaux spread that causes Eliza trouble while being a governess?
8. What test does Lisolette give Eliza when they begin associating with each other?
9. How has Eliza been sending messages without being discovered?
10. Why does Jack go to Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Stephenson have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effects do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Tess was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)