|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Daniel fear the Plague so much?
2. What area did Wilkins make bad decisions in before his death?
3. What kind of mines does Jack buy shares in?
4. Who wants to autopsy Wilkins?
5. Where is the book set at the beginning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Eliza come to be in the place she met Jack?
2. Why does Daniel leave his family and go to London?
3. How does this book begin?
4. Why is the Minerva attacked?
5. What does Boyle say after Wilkins's death that upsets Daniel?
6. Why did Daniel begin studying Natural Philosophy?
7. What does Eliza hope to sell at a fair?
8. What job did Jack have at the prison?
9. What does Daniel see is his role when the Declaration for Freedom of Conscience of all Dissenters is signed?
10. What does Daniel say about England and war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Training and education are topics of discussion in this book. Where do these topics appear in this book, and what effects do they have on the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Stephenson have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)