|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is van Hoek's occupation?
2. When did Jack meet Churchill?
3. What did Dick, Bob, and Jack get as their first job?
4. Why was Eliza afraid of the man in rags?
5. What caused Cambridge to be closed in 1665?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Daniel think he got the best education possible at Cambridge?
2. Why does Daniel make a hole in a roof?
3. How is Leibniz's mine different from other mines?
4. What did Newton build on a wall in Cambridge?
5. How does the doctor help Jack?
6. What does Daniel say about England and war?
7. Why did Daniel begin studying Natural Philosophy?
8. How does Daniel help Van Hoek in Cape Cod Bay?
9. How did Jack meet Eliza?
10. What happened to make Daniel upset with Hooke's experiments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephenson presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are many secrets made, kept, and divulged in this book. What are some of these secrets, and how does their placement in the plot affect the course of the plot and the characters involved in the secrets?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)