|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Daniel use to escape Blackbeard?
2. Why was Eliza afraid of the man in rags?
3. What did Daniel discuss with Newton on the way to the fair?
4. Where did Churchill say Jack would be useful?
5. What caused Cambridge to be closed in 1665?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boyle say after Wilkins's death that upsets Daniel?
2. How did Eliza come to be in the place she met Jack?
3. How is Leibniz's mine different from other mines?
4. What did Newton build on a wall in Cambridge?
5. Why did Daniel begin studying Natural Philosophy?
6. What job did Jack have at the prison?
7. How does this book begin?
8. How does Daniel help Van Hoek in Cape Cod Bay?
9. How does Daniel meet Tess?
10. What news does the Earl of Epsom bring Daniel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Jack and Eliza. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Neal Stephenson. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the characters involved?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)