|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Enoch to the ferry?
2. Who sent Dick, Bob and Jack to get work?
3. What does Eliza dress up as when they go to Leipzig?
4. Where is the book set at the beginning?
5. What kind of bird did Jack chase while in the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Daniel think he got the best education possible at Cambridge?
2. What does Eliza hope to sell at a fair?
3. What does Boyle say after Wilkins's death that upsets Daniel?
4. How does Daniel describe the beginning of his friendship with Newton?
5. How does this book begin?
6. What does Daniel say about England and war?
7. What happens to Jack after his visit to Backboden?
8. What happened to make Daniel upset with Hooke's experiments?
9. What does Oldenburg tell Daniel while he is in prison?
10. How does the doctor help Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did slavery play in this plot, and which characters were most affected by the inclusion of the theme of slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Jack and Eliza. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)