Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack headed east to fight ___________.
2. Why was Eliza afraid of the man in rags?
3. What is the occupation of Edward Teach?
4. Where is the book set at the beginning?
5. What kind of language did Wilkins want to create?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eliza send reports to William about?
2. Why does Daniel leave his family and go to London?
3. Why is Eliza hesitant to write personal details about herself to Leibniz?
4. What does Boyle say after Wilkins's death that upsets Daniel?
5. Why did Daniel begin studying Natural Philosophy?
6. What kind of life does Eliza tell dAvaux she wants for herself?
7. Why is Eliza going to Varseilles?
8. What frightens Jack in Backboden?
9. Who is St. George?
10. What happens between Eliza and d'Arcachon?
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
Stephenson presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)