|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of shop did Newton have someone watching him in?
2. What caused Cambridge to be closed in 1665?
3. Who did Daniel make the hole at a college for?
4. How did Dick die?
5. What was the hole Daniel made used for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jack meet Eliza?
2. What frightens Jack in Backboden?
3. How did Eliza come to be in the place she met Jack?
4. How does this book begin?
5. How does Daniel meet Tess?
6. What news does the Earl of Epsom bring Daniel?
7. What happened to make Daniel upset with Hooke's experiments?
8. How does the doctor help Jack?
9. What did Newton build on a wall in Cambridge?
10. Why did Daniel think he got the best education possible at Cambridge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Jack and Eliza. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)