|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Eliza when she was abducted?
2. What does Jack name the horse he steals?
3. How did Dick die?
4. What is Tess's occupation?
5. What are Enoch's saddle bags filled with at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jack after his visit to Backboden?
2. Why did Daniel think he got the best education possible at Cambridge?
3. What frightens Jack in Backboden?
4. What did Newton build on a wall in Cambridge?
5. How does Daniel describe the beginning of his friendship with Newton?
6. How does this book begin?
7. How is Leibniz's mine different from other mines?
8. What does Drake think of the London fire?
9. Why does Daniel make a hole in a roof?
10. What does Daniel say about England and war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Obsession is a theme present in a number of places in the plot. What are some of the best examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this theme affect the outcome of this book?
Essay Topic 2
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity and discrimination are two major and related themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and how do they work together to propel the plot of the book?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)