|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent Dick, Bob and Jack to get work?
2. Whom does Wilkins ask to carry on his work?
3. What college did Daniel make a hole at?
4. Princess Caroline wants Daniel's help with _____________.
5. During what month is the Minerva attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Daniel think he got the best education possible at Cambridge?
2. How is Leibniz's mine different from other mines?
3. How did Jack meet Eliza?
4. What job did Jack have at the prison?
5. How does Daniel meet Leibniz?
6. What does Eliza hope to sell at a fair?
7. How does Daniel help Van Hoek in Cape Cod Bay?
8. What happens when Trinity re-opens after the first closure?
9. What does Daniel say about England and war?
10. Why does Daniel make a hole in a roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Protection is a strong theme in this story. Where does this theme appear, and which characters are most affected by the presence of this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Neal Stephenson. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)