|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Eliza when she was abducted?
2. Who did Daniel make the hole at a college for?
3. What kind of mines does Jack buy shares in?
4. Who starts a fire at Daniel's house?
5. Princess Caroline wants Daniel's help with _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Jack after his visit to Backboden?
2. What news does the Earl of Epsom bring Daniel?
3. What does Drake think of the London fire?
4. How does Daniel meet Tess?
5. How does Daniel describe the beginning of his friendship with Newton?
6. How does this book begin?
7. Why is the Minerva attacked?
8. How does Daniel help Van Hoek in Cape Cod Bay?
9. Why did Daniel think he got the best education possible at Cambridge?
10. What happens when Trinity re-opens after the first closure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephenson presents the idea that there are two sides to every man. Choose three of the characters from the book and write about their dual natures and how this duality affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of different settings in this book. Describe some of these settings. Why might Stephenson have chosen these settings for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)