|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tess's occupation?
2. What did Daniel help Wilkins do while Cambridge was closed?
3. What affected Wilkins's judgement before his death?
4. How did Daniel meet Tess?
5. Why did Daniel fear the Plague so much?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Daniel say about England and war?
2. How is Leibniz's mine different from other mines?
3. Why does Daniel leave his family and go to London?
4. What did Newton build on a wall in Cambridge?
5. How does Daniel describe the beginning of his friendship with Newton?
6. What does Oldenburg tell Daniel while he is in prison?
7. What happened to make Daniel upset with Hooke's experiments?
8. How does this book begin?
9. How does Daniel meet Tess?
10. Why does Daniel make a hole in a roof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tess was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was an emotion that affected a number of the characters in this book. Which characters were most affected by despair, and how did this change the course of the plot branches they were involved in?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)