|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did homeless people go to stay warm?
2. What did Daniel see a play about at Cambridge?
3. What did Daniel study in school?
4. What ocean is Daniel in when he escapes from Blackbeard?
5. What was thought to be a cure for Syphilis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Duke of York want to talk to Daniel about?
2. Why is the Minerva attacked?
3. What does Boyle say after Wilkins's death that upsets Daniel?
4. How does Daniel help Van Hoek in Cape Cod Bay?
5. What did Newton build on a wall in Cambridge?
6. How does Daniel meet Tess?
7. How did Eliza come to be in the place she met Jack?
8. What does Drake think of the London fire?
9. What frightens Jack in Backboden?
10. What happens when Trinity re-opens after the first closure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this plot follows the relationship between Jack and Eliza. How does this relationship change over the course of the plot, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in this book are forced to sacrifice much in order to obtain their goals. Who are some of these characters, and how did their sacrifices affect the other characters around them? Were these sacrifices worth the reward? Why or why not?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)