|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Enoch's saddle bags filled with at the beginning of the book?
2. How long had London been burning when Daniel first saw it?
3. Why did Daniel not seek vengeance for the boy who committed the stabbing at college?
4. Who was being executed in the camp that Jack ended up in after chasing a bird?
5. Who did Daniel make the hole at a college for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Newton build on a wall in Cambridge?
2. How does Daniel help Van Hoek in Cape Cod Bay?
3. Why does Daniel leave his family and go to London?
4. How does this book begin?
5. What does Oldenburg tell Daniel while he is in prison?
6. What happens to Jack after his visit to Backboden?
7. What does Drake think of the London fire?
8. What did the Duke of York want to talk to Daniel about?
9. How did Jack meet Eliza?
10. How does Daniel describe the beginning of his friendship with Newton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a very prevalent literary device used by Neal Stephenson. What are some of these symbols, and how does their presence affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a central theme of this book. What are the main friendships, and how did their inclusion in this book affect the outcome of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
The separation of classes is quite a significant theme in this book. What are these classes, and how does this separation affect the characters belonging to them?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)