|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the hole Daniel made used for?
2. Why did Daniel not seek vengeance for the boy who committed the stabbing at college?
3. What does Van Hoek do with the men he captures who attacked the Minerva?
4. What did Eliza disguise herself in when she ran away with Jack?
5. How did the Duke of York find out about Hooke's experiments with dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What frightens Jack in Backboden?
2. Why does Daniel make a hole in a roof?
3. What does Eliza hope to sell at a fair?
4. Why did Daniel think he got the best education possible at Cambridge?
5. How does this book begin?
6. What news does the Earl of Epsom bring Daniel?
7. Why did Daniel begin studying Natural Philosophy?
8. What does Oldenburg tell Daniel while he is in prison?
9. How is Leibniz's mine different from other mines?
10. How does Daniel meet Tess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pursuit of happiness was a common theme found in this book. What parts of the plot embodied this theme, and how did that pursuit affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Maturity is a theme presented in a number of places in this plot, and is manifested in a number of different ways. Choose a few of these instances and compare and contrast them. How are they different in their manifestations of this sensitive theme?
Essay Topic 3
Tess was a minor character in this book who made a huge impact on the plot. How did she accomplish this, and how would the plot have been altered had she not been included in the story line?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)