|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The time spent without Clare in the picture
2. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
3. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
4. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
5. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
2. Things have taken a turn for the worse at the Redfields'. What are the clues that the story is inching toward a conclusion as it pertains to the Redfields and Clare Kendry? What conclusions can we draw about this section of the story?
3. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
4. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
5. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
6. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
7. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
8. What kind of parent is Clare Kendry? What are the clues, thus far, that help us to draw conclusions about her parenting abilities? How has Larsen informed us about this?
9. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
10. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the current level of poverty among African Americans in the American South? Choose three southern states and compare and contrast the income levels, education and population densities and racial demographics. To what can you attribute the variations among the three states?
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-researched essay on the effects of early American blues music on women's sexuality and the perceptions that surrounded it, before and since. Was there a "code" of sexuality for women during the 20s in black Harlem? How did music influence or coincide with that code?
Essay Topic 3
There are several mentions of "uplift" of the Negro race in the 1920s. Research and write about at least three organizations whose cause it was to uplift the race, what they did, and whether they still exist. Are there any of these still in existence today? If so, where are they headquartered and what is their creed or motto?
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)