|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Brian prefer to live?
2. Brian demands that Irene
3. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
4. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
5. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
2. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
3. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
4. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
5. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
6. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
7. Clare attends the Negro League dance with Brian and Irene. What does the dance symbolize in the story? Why is Irene careful to arrange a ride home for Clare?
8. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
9. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
10. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a well-researched essay on the effects of early American blues music on women's sexuality and the perceptions that surrounded it, before and since. Was there a "code" of sexuality for women during the 20s in black Harlem? How did music influence or coincide with that code?
Essay Topic 2
Research the country of Denmark and determine what percent of the population is black. Is Denmark a typical destination for people of color from the US? Why, or why not? How does the general population of that country feel at this time in history about mixed races -- would a bi-racial person feel at home in Denmark today? If you were a black man or woman relocating to Copenhagen, what type of work would you expect to get?
Essay Topic 3
What are the most outstanding differences in Helga Crane's presentation of herself in Denmark and in New York? Write about her transition from one facade to the other, and what she brought from one culture to the other. Did she blend in within any of the societal structures in which she chose to live? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)