|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter finds Brian Redfield
2. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
3. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
4. In this section, Clare is now
5. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is odd about the initial meeting among Irene, Gertrude and Clare? Are these conversations typical among women friends? What, if anything, makes the visit among the three women unusual?
2. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
3. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
4. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
5. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
6. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
7. What is your initial assessment of Clare Kendry? Do we know enough about her in these first two chapters to draw any conclusions about her? If so, what would they be?
8. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
9. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
10. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the most outstanding differences in Helga Crane's presentation of herself in Denmark and in New York? Write about her transition from one facade to the other, and what she brought from one culture to the other. Did she blend in within any of the societal structures in which she chose to live? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Hugh Wentworth? What is his role in Larsen's writing? Do a close review of both stories and determine why Larsen includes Wentworth as a character. Is he simply a literary device for her? What does he represent?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Helga Crane not fit into the culture of Naxos? Larsen suggests several reasons, but one stands out above the rest. Helga is a complex character, but has some basic flaws that hinder her development. What were they, and how did they hurt her?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)