|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
2. Where would Brian prefer to live?
3. Brian demands that Irene
4. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
5. Brian would rather be living in
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
2. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
3. Things have taken a turn for the worse at the Redfields'. What are the clues that the story is inching toward a conclusion as it pertains to the Redfields and Clare Kendry? What conclusions can we draw about this section of the story?
4. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
5. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
6. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
7. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
8. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
9. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
10. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the most outstanding differences in Helga Crane's presentation of herself in Denmark and in New York? Write about her transition from one facade to the other, and what she brought from one culture to the other. Did she blend in within any of the societal structures in which she chose to live? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write about Christian spiritualism among African Americans in the 1920s in America. What were their general doctrines, and where did they come from? Did the beliefs come over with slaves from Africa, or were they developed among blacks in America? Where did these ideas come from?
Essay Topic 3
Write a biography, from what you can find through research, of Nella Larsen and her own experiences that contributed to her stories. Are her stories autobiographical? Where did she gain knowledge of the problems of being bi-racial? What impact, if any, did her writing have on Americans?
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)