|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At all costs, Irene does not want to
2. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
3. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
4. Brian's comments about sex being a joke indicate that
5. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
Short Essay Questions
1. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
2. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
3. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
4. What is your initial assessment of Clare Kendry? Do we know enough about her in these first two chapters to draw any conclusions about her? If so, what would they be?
5. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
6. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
7. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
8. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
9. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
10. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who made up high society in the black population in New York in the 1920s? What did these people do for a living? From where did their money come? Focus on three examples of historical figures and discuss their occupations and lifestyles.
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-researched essay on the effects of early American blues music on women's sexuality and the perceptions that surrounded it, before and since. Was there a "code" of sexuality for women during the 20s in black Harlem? How did music influence or coincide with that code?
Essay Topic 3
Write an in-depth essay on Dr. Robert Anderson. There are many things about him which attract and repel Helga. What is his role in Helga's life in Quicksand? What does he represent to her? Is there anything about him that would make him more attractive to Helga than the average man? Why does Larsen include him?
This section contains 1,346 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)