|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian states that sex is a joke because
2. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
3. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
4. At the tea, Irene is
5. Clare is very
Short Essay Questions
1. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
2. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
3. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
4. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
5. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
6. Clare attends the Negro League dance with Brian and Irene. What does the dance symbolize in the story? Why is Irene careful to arrange a ride home for Clare?
7. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
8. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
9. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
10. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several mentions of "uplift" of the Negro race in the 1920s. Research and write about at least three organizations whose cause it was to uplift the race, what they did, and whether they still exist. Are there any of these still in existence today? If so, where are they headquartered and what is their creed or motto?
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography, from what you can find through research, of Nella Larsen and her own experiences that contributed to her stories. Are her stories autobiographical? Where did she gain knowledge of the problems of being bi-racial? What impact, if any, did her writing have on Americans?
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-researched essay on the effects of early American blues music on women's sexuality and the perceptions that surrounded it, before and since. Was there a "code" of sexuality for women during the 20s in black Harlem? How did music influence or coincide with that code?
This section contains 1,538 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)