|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the tea, Irene is
2. Irene has a bad moment during the social event wherein she
3. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
4. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
5. Helga chooses to remain
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
2. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
3. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
4. What is odd about the initial meeting among Irene, Gertrude and Clare? Are these conversations typical among women friends? What, if anything, makes the visit among the three women unusual?
5. What kind of parent is Clare Kendry? What are the clues, thus far, that help us to draw conclusions about her parenting abilities? How has Larsen informed us about this?
6. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
7. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
8. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
9. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
10. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the music in Harlem during the 1920s, including popular musicians and their audiences. Do some of the same venues still exist there? Does the traditional music of the 1920s still exist there? What permanent mark did early Harlem leave on music, if any?
Essay Topic 2
What are the most outstanding differences in Helga Crane's presentation of herself in Denmark and in New York? Write about her transition from one facade to the other, and what she brought from one culture to the other. Did she blend in within any of the societal structures in which she chose to live? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Helga Crane not fit into the culture of Naxos? Larsen suggests several reasons, but one stands out above the rest. Helga is a complex character, but has some basic flaws that hinder her development. What were they, and how did they hurt her?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)