|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
2. Irene Redfield does not
3. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
4. Helga's most recent infant
5. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
2. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
3. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
4. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
5. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
6. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
7. What is your initial assessment of Clare Kendry? Do we know enough about her in these first two chapters to draw any conclusions about her? If so, what would they be?
8. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
9. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
10. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Research and write about Harlem in the 1920s. What made Harlem the haven it became for African Americans? What kinds of people lived there? What was the basic economic structure at that time? Did people generally live in Harlem and work outside, or vice versa? Was black Harlem closed to white folks?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Helga Crane not fit into the culture of Naxos? Larsen suggests several reasons, but one stands out above the rest. Helga is a complex character, but has some basic flaws that hinder her development. What were they, and how did they hurt her?
Essay Topic 3
There are several mentions of "uplift" of the Negro race in the 1920s. Research and write about at least three organizations whose cause it was to uplift the race, what they did, and whether they still exist. Are there any of these still in existence today? If so, where are they headquartered and what is their creed or motto?
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)