|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The time spent without Clare in the picture
2. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
3. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
4. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
5. When Brian tries to talk to his sons about racism, Irene
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
2. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
3. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
4. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
5. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
6. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
7. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
8. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
9. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
10. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Helga Crane not fit into the culture of Naxos? Larsen suggests several reasons, but one stands out above the rest. Helga is a complex character, but has some basic flaws that hinder her development. What were they, and how did they hurt her?
Essay Topic 2
Research the country of Denmark and determine what percent of the population is black. Is Denmark a typical destination for people of color from the US? Why, or why not? How does the general population of that country feel at this time in history about mixed races -- would a bi-racial person feel at home in Denmark today? If you were a black man or woman relocating to Copenhagen, what type of work would you expect to get?
Essay Topic 3
There are several mentions of "uplift" of the Negro race in the 1920s. Research and write about at least three organizations whose cause it was to uplift the race, what they did, and whether they still exist. Are there any of these still in existence today? If so, where are they headquartered and what is their creed or motto?
This section contains 1,679 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)