|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga found her job with the help of
2. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
3. Helga wants to leave Naxos because
4. Anne secretly knows that Dr. Anderson might
5. Helga considers that perhaps her feelings for Dr. Anderson mean that
Short Essay Questions
1. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
2. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
3. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
4. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
5. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
6. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
7. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
8. What does the story imply about Mrs. Hayes-Rore's husband? In what might he have been involved? Explain your answers, quoting text.
9. Why did Uncle Peter's wife reject Helga? Is she an unreasonable woman? Is she cruel? Explain your answers.
10. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the meaning of the word "outre" and explain how the concept is used in Larsen's descriptions of Helga Crane. Did Helga play the peacock role well? Did she enjoy it? Can you think of other examples of people being so different from others in their environment, that their only option is to expand on those differences? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the current level of poverty among African Americans in the American South? Choose three southern states and compare and contrast the income levels, education and population densities and racial demographics. To what can you attribute the variations among the three states?
Essay Topic 3
Who made up high society in the black population in New York in the 1920s? What did these people do for a living? From where did their money come? Focus on three examples of historical figures and discuss their occupations and lifestyles.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)