|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
2. Helga's aunt Katrina wants Helga to
3. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
4. It is possible that Helga Crane is
5. Helga shows up at the mission
Short Essay Questions
1. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
2. What does the story imply about Mrs. Hayes-Rore's husband? In what might he have been involved? Explain your answers, quoting text.
3. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
4. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
5. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
6. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
7. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
8. Why does Helga think Anne is almost perfect? Is Anne perfect? What does Helga even know about her at this point in the story?
9. Discuss Axel Olsen's inappropriateness with Helga. What kind of person is he? Why does Helga reject him?
10. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Hugh Wentworth? What is his role in Larsen's writing? Do a close review of both stories and determine why Larsen includes Wentworth as a character. Is he simply a literary device for her? What does he represent?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Helga Crane with Clare Kendry, then expand on the theme of these two stories. How are the two stories alike? How are they different? Compare Helga Crane with Irene Redfield, and then with Clare Kendry. Between which of the two is she most like?
Essay Topic 3
Write about the complexities of the personality of Mrs. Hayes-Rore. Why does Larsen develop her character? What does she symbolize? Is she a typical Harlemite? Is she important to Quicksand as a character? If so, what exactly is her role in the story?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)