|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katrina would like Helga to
2. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
3. Helga's hidden feeling about her lack of family is
4. The husband of Mrs. Hayes-Rore died
5. In her lovely room at Naxos, Helga is
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
2. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
3. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
4. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
5. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
6. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
7. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
8. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
9. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
10. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about the complexities of the personality of Mrs. Hayes-Rore. Why does Larsen develop her character? What does she symbolize? Is she a typical Harlemite? Is she important to Quicksand as a character? If so, what exactly is her role in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Who made up high society in the black population in New York in the 1920s? What did these people do for a living? From where did their money come? Focus on three examples of historical figures and discuss their occupations and lifestyles.
Essay Topic 3
Research and write about Harlem in the 1920s. What made Harlem the haven it became for African Americans? What kinds of people lived there? What was the basic economic structure at that time? Did people generally live in Harlem and work outside, or vice versa? Was black Harlem closed to white folks?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)