|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Katrina would like Helga to
2. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
3. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
4. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
5. Helga remembers being in Denmark where people
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
2. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
3. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
4. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
5. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
6. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
7. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
8. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
9. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
10. Why does Helga think Anne is almost perfect? Is Anne perfect? What does Helga even know about her at this point in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the music in Harlem during the 1920s, including popular musicians and their audiences. Do some of the same venues still exist there? Does the traditional music of the 1920s still exist there? What permanent mark did early Harlem leave on music, if any?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Helga Crane with Clare Kendry, then expand on the theme of these two stories. How are the two stories alike? How are they different? Compare Helga Crane with Irene Redfield, and then with Clare Kendry. Between which of the two is she most like?
Essay Topic 3
What is the current level of poverty among African Americans in the American South? Choose three southern states and compare and contrast the income levels, education and population densities and racial demographics. To what can you attribute the variations among the three states?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)