|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her lovely room at Naxos, Helga is
2. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
3. Helga's aunt resembles
4. What the Dahls have wanted all along was
5. When she finds Anne gone upon her return from the tea, Helga
Short Essay Questions
1. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
2. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
3. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
4. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
5. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
6. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
7. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
8. What is Helga's reasoning for not wanting children? Is this just a defense mechanism on her part? Why, or why not?
9. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
10. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a biography, from what you can find through research, of Nella Larsen and her own experiences that contributed to her stories. Are her stories autobiographical? Where did she gain knowledge of the problems of being bi-racial? What impact, if any, did her writing have on Americans?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Hugh Wentworth? What is his role in Larsen's writing? Do a close review of both stories and determine why Larsen includes Wentworth as a character. Is he simply a literary device for her? What does he represent?
Essay Topic 3
There are several mentions of "uplift" of the Negro race in the 1920s. Research and write about at least three organizations whose cause it was to uplift the race, what they did, and whether they still exist. Are there any of these still in existence today? If so, where are they headquartered and what is their creed or motto?
This section contains 1,323 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)