|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga thinks she has now
2. How did Helga's mother lift herself out of her bad situation?
3. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
4. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
5. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
Short Essay Questions
1. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
2. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
3. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
4. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
5. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
6. Things have taken a turn for the worse at the Redfields'. What are the clues that the story is inching toward a conclusion as it pertains to the Redfields and Clare Kendry? What conclusions can we draw about this section of the story?
7. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
8. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
9. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
10. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
Essay Topic 1
There are several mentions of "uplift" of the Negro race in the 1920s. Research and write about at least three organizations whose cause it was to uplift the race, what they did, and whether they still exist. Are there any of these still in existence today? If so, where are they headquartered and what is their creed or motto?
Essay Topic 2
What is the current level of poverty among African Americans in the American South? Choose three southern states and compare and contrast the income levels, education and population densities and racial demographics. To what can you attribute the variations among the three states?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Helga Crane with Clare Kendry, then expand on the theme of these two stories. How are the two stories alike? How are they different? Compare Helga Crane with Irene Redfield, and then with Clare Kendry. Between which of the two is she most like?
This section contains 2,303 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)