|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reason for Mrs. Hayes-Rore's reaction to Helga's story is that
2. Helga feels the school's intention is to
3. Helga has found peace and contentment in
4. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
5. Helga gets a job in New York at
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Uncle Peter's wife reject Helga? Is she an unreasonable woman? Is she cruel? Explain your answers.
2. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
3. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
4. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
5. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
6. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
7. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
8. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
9. What does the story imply about Mrs. Hayes-Rore's husband? In what might he have been involved? Explain your answers, quoting text.
10. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the meaning of the word "outre" and explain how the concept is used in Larsen's descriptions of Helga Crane. Did Helga play the peacock role well? Did she enjoy it? Can you think of other examples of people being so different from others in their environment, that their only option is to expand on those differences? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
From a woman's perspective, did Larsen break ground for or elevate women in her writing? For blacks? For black women? How did Larsen's characters portray women, in general? Was it constructive? Do the characters provide an example of strong, evolving womanhood? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Research the country of Denmark and determine what percent of the population is black. Is Denmark a typical destination for people of color from the US? Why, or why not? How does the general population of that country feel at this time in history about mixed races -- would a bi-racial person feel at home in Denmark today? If you were a black man or woman relocating to Copenhagen, what type of work would you expect to get?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)