|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne secretly knows that Dr. Anderson might
2. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
3. Helga's aunt resembles
4. James Vayle is clearly
5. The remade green velvet dress
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
2. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
3. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
4. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
5. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
6. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
7. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
8. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
9. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
10. Discuss Uncle Poul's reaction to Helga's weeping. Is he a kind man? A loving uncle? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Determine the meaning of the word "outre" and explain how the concept is used in Larsen's descriptions of Helga Crane. Did Helga play the peacock role well? Did she enjoy it? Can you think of other examples of people being so different from others in their environment, that their only option is to expand on those differences? Explain your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In the 1920s, being of mixed race was not easy, as exemplified by these stories. How have things changed in America in this regard, or have they? Is there more freedom now for mixed marriages and bi-racial children? Why, or why not? What are some of the hardships faced by bi-racial couples and children?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Helga Crane with Clare Kendry, then expand on the theme of these two stories. How are the two stories alike? How are they different? Compare Helga Crane with Irene Redfield, and then with Clare Kendry. Between which of the two is she most like?
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)