|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chicago, Helga finds a place to stay
2. For her departure from Denmark, Helga now blames
3. Helga takes the time to
4. Katrina would like Helga to
5. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Uncle Peter's wife reject Helga? Is she an unreasonable woman? Is she cruel? Explain your answers.
2. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
3. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
4. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
5. What does Axel Olsen's portrait of Helga symbolize? Is the portrait important to the story? Why or why not?
6. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
7. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
8. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
9. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
10. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From a woman's perspective, did Larsen break ground for or elevate women in her writing? For blacks? For black women? How did Larsen's characters portray women, in general? Was it constructive? Do the characters provide an example of strong, evolving womanhood? Why, or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Research and write about Harlem in the 1920s. What made Harlem the haven it became for African Americans? What kinds of people lived there? What was the basic economic structure at that time? Did people generally live in Harlem and work outside, or vice versa? Was black Harlem closed to white folks?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Helga Crane with Clare Kendry, then expand on the theme of these two stories. How are the two stories alike? How are they different? Compare Helga Crane with Irene Redfield, and then with Clare Kendry. Between which of the two is she most like?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)