|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does Dr. Anderson's presence stir up in Helga?
2. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
3. Anne's feelings about racism cause her to
4. Helga shows up at the mission
5. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
2. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
3. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
4. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
5. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
6. Why does Helga think Anne is almost perfect? Is Anne perfect? What does Helga even know about her at this point in the story?
7. Things have taken a turn for the worse at the Redfields'. What are the clues that the story is inching toward a conclusion as it pertains to the Redfields and Clare Kendry? What conclusions can we draw about this section of the story?
8. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
9. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
10. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Hugh Wentworth? What is his role in Larsen's writing? Do a close review of both stories and determine why Larsen includes Wentworth as a character. Is he simply a literary device for her? What does he represent?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Helga Crane not fit into the culture of Naxos? Larsen suggests several reasons, but one stands out above the rest. Helga is a complex character, but has some basic flaws that hinder her development. What were they, and how did they hurt her?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the music in Harlem during the 1920s, including popular musicians and their audiences. Do some of the same venues still exist there? Does the traditional music of the 1920s still exist there? What permanent mark did early Harlem leave on music, if any?
This section contains 2,477 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)