|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga is tired of black people
2. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
3. Helga found her job with the help of
4. Helga has found peace and contentment in
5. Helga leaves Denmark with the expectation of
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
2. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
3. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
4. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
5. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
6. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
7. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
8. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
9. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
10. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the 1920s, being of mixed race was not easy, as exemplified by these stories. How have things changed in America in this regard, or have they? Is there more freedom now for mixed marriages and bi-racial children? Why, or why not? What are some of the hardships faced by bi-racial couples and children?
Essay Topic 2
Is there really such a place as Naxos? If not, trace the history of the first schools in the south that were strictly designed for African American students. Were they designed to uplift the black race, or to teach assimilation?Were they comparable to Naxos in terms of their goals and objectives? If so, in what ways?
Essay Topic 3
What are the most outstanding differences in Helga Crane's presentation of herself in Denmark and in New York? Write about her transition from one facade to the other, and what she brought from one culture to the other. Did she blend in within any of the societal structures in which she chose to live? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,262 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)