|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
2. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
3. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
4. What Helga respects in Audrey is
5. Helga tells Olsen that some day
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
2. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
3. Discuss Uncle Poul's reaction to Helga's weeping. Is he a kind man? A loving uncle? Why or why not?
4. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
5. What does Axel Olsen's portrait of Helga symbolize? Is the portrait important to the story? Why or why not?
6. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
7. Discuss Helga's "maladjustment" at Naxos. Is it about the school, or is it about Helga, or both?
8. Why did Uncle Peter's wife reject Helga? Is she an unreasonable woman? Is she cruel? Explain your answers.
9. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
10. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Helga Crane not fit into the culture of Naxos? Larsen suggests several reasons, but one stands out above the rest. Helga is a complex character, but has some basic flaws that hinder her development. What were they, and how did they hurt her?
Essay Topic 2
Who made up high society in the black population in New York in the 1920s? What did these people do for a living? From where did their money come? Focus on three examples of historical figures and discuss their occupations and lifestyles.
Essay Topic 3
What are the most outstanding differences in Helga Crane's presentation of herself in Denmark and in New York? Write about her transition from one facade to the other, and what she brought from one culture to the other. Did she blend in within any of the societal structures in which she chose to live? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)