Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
2. Once again, Helga realizes that
3. Helga gets a job in New York at
4. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
5. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
2. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
3. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
4. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
5. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
6. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
7. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
8. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
9. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
10. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
Essay Topic 1
Write about Christian spiritualism among African Americans in the 1920s in America. What were their general doctrines, and where did they come from? Did the beliefs come over with slaves from Africa, or were they developed among blacks in America? Where did these ideas come from?
Essay Topic 2
Write a biography, from what you can find through research, of Nella Larsen and her own experiences that contributed to her stories. Are her stories autobiographical? Where did she gain knowledge of the problems of being bi-racial? What impact, if any, did her writing have on Americans?
Essay Topic 3
From a woman's perspective, did Larsen break ground for or elevate women in her writing? For blacks? For black women? How did Larsen's characters portray women, in general? Was it constructive? Do the characters provide an example of strong, evolving womanhood? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)