|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga thinks she has now
2. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
3. Helga gets a job in New York at
4. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
5. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
2. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
3. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
4. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
5. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
6. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
7. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
8. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
9. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
10. Why does Helga think Anne is almost perfect? Is Anne perfect? What does Helga even know about her at this point in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who made up high society in the black population in New York in the 1920s? What did these people do for a living? From where did their money come? Focus on three examples of historical figures and discuss their occupations and lifestyles.
Essay Topic 2
Research and write about Harlem in the 1920s. What made Harlem the haven it became for African Americans? What kinds of people lived there? What was the basic economic structure at that time? Did people generally live in Harlem and work outside, or vice versa? Was black Harlem closed to white folks?
Essay Topic 3
Write a well-researched essay on the effects of early American blues music on women's sexuality and the perceptions that surrounded it, before and since. Was there a "code" of sexuality for women during the 20s in black Harlem? How did music influence or coincide with that code?
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)