|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga is angry at herself because
2. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
3. Helga wishes that the school would not
4. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
5. The staging of Helga by her aunt and uncle make Helga feel like
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
2. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
3. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
4. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
5. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
6. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
7. Discuss Axel Olsen's inappropriateness with Helga. What kind of person is he? Why does Helga reject him?
8. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
9. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
10. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the 1920s, being of mixed race was not easy, as exemplified by these stories. How have things changed in America in this regard, or have they? Is there more freedom now for mixed marriages and bi-racial children? Why, or why not? What are some of the hardships faced by bi-racial couples and children?
Essay Topic 2
Write a well-researched essay on the effects of early American blues music on women's sexuality and the perceptions that surrounded it, before and since. Was there a "code" of sexuality for women during the 20s in black Harlem? How did music influence or coincide with that code?
Essay Topic 3
Research and write about Harlem in the 1920s. What made Harlem the haven it became for African Americans? What kinds of people lived there? What was the basic economic structure at that time? Did people generally live in Harlem and work outside, or vice versa? Was black Harlem closed to white folks?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)