|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Flee to Naxos.
(c) Leave Pastor Green.
(d) Re-commit to the church.
2. John Bellew enters Felise's apartment in a state of
3. Irene allowing Clare into the private rooms of the house symbolizes
(a) Irene's invitation to invade her family.
(b) Irene's wish that Clare will love her sons.
(c) Irene's desire to show Clare her wealth.
(d) Irene allowing herself to be vulnerable.
4. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
5. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Has no impact.
(b) Is extremely disturbing to him.
(c) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(d) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
2. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
3. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
4. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
5. Clare is very
Short Essay Questions
1. Clare attends the Negro League dance with Brian and Irene. What does the dance symbolize in the story? Why is Irene careful to arrange a ride home for Clare?
2. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
3. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
4. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
5. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
6. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
7. What kind of parent is Clare Kendry? What are the clues, thus far, that help us to draw conclusions about her parenting abilities? How has Larsen informed us about this?
8. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
9. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
10. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)