|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
(a) Because she is so happy to be there.
(b) Because she knows she is leaving.
(c) Because she plans to hurt the children.
(d) For reasons we do not yet know.
2. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
(a) Appreciate the worth of Pastor Green.
(b) Understand goodness.
(c) Respect God.
(d) Look black enough.
3. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
(a) His increased satisfaction with his job.
(b) His sense of guilt.
(c) His continued longing to be in South America.
(d) His newfound happiness in his marriage.
4. Brian demands that Irene not
(a) Divert him from complaining about his job.
(b) Talk of sex at the table.
(c) Molly-coddle their son.
(d) Talk to him so much.
5. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
(a) In New York.
(b) In Brazil.
(c) To Harlem.
(d) In Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
2. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
3. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
4. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
5. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
2. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
3. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
4. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
5. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
6. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
7. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
8. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
9. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
10. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)