|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Unusually chatty.
(b) Preoccupied with her children.
(c) Her usual charming self.
(d) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
2. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
(a) She is a high fashion model in New York.
(b) She has been seen with rich white men.
(c) She has been a housewife.
(d) She has found a career as a dancer.
3. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
(b) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(c) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
(d) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
4. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
(a) To Harlem.
(b) In New York.
(c) In Chicago.
(d) In Brazil.
5. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(a) Absolutely not.
(b) Perhaps, with conditions.
(d) She is ambivalent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
2. Irene privately considers what it would be like if
3. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
4. At all costs, Irene does not want to
5. Brian's comments about sex being a joke indicate that
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
2. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
3. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
4. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
5. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
6. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
7. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
8. What is your initial assessment of Clare Kendry? Do we know enough about her in these first two chapters to draw any conclusions about her? If so, what would they be?
9. Clare attends the Negro League dance with Brian and Irene. What does the dance symbolize in the story? Why is Irene careful to arrange a ride home for Clare?
10. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
This section contains 1,459 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)