|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
(a) Made her care for them in their old age.
(b) Forced her to learn to cook.
(c) Tortured her with religion.
(d) Used her father against her.
2. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
(b) Claimed he had Negro blood.
(c) Asked Irene to leave.
(d) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
3. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) See her daughter in Switzerland.
(b) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
(c) Get back into white society.
(d) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
4. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Desperately wants to see her.
(b) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(c) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(d) Really does not want to see her.
5. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
(a) His continued longing to be in South America.
(b) His increased satisfaction with his job.
(c) His newfound happiness in his marriage.
(d) His sense of guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Irene bring up Junior being exposed to sexually tinged jokes?
2. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
3. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
4. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
5. Helga finds some satisfaction in
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
2. Things have taken a turn for the worse at the Redfields'. What are the clues that the story is inching toward a conclusion as it pertains to the Redfields and Clare Kendry? What conclusions can we draw about this section of the story?
3. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
4. What is your initial assessment of Clare Kendry? Do we know enough about her in these first two chapters to draw any conclusions about her? If so, what would they be?
5. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
6. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
7. What kind of parent is Clare Kendry? What are the clues, thus far, that help us to draw conclusions about her parenting abilities? How has Larsen informed us about this?
8. What is odd about the initial meeting among Irene, Gertrude and Clare? Are these conversations typical among women friends? What, if anything, makes the visit among the three women unusual?
9. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
10. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
This section contains 1,727 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)