|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
(a) Because he wants to see black people.
(b) Because he is attracted to black women.
(c) Because he is self-righteous.
(d) Because he is a voyeur.
2. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
3. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
(a) To Harlem.
(b) In Brazil.
(c) In New York.
(d) In Chicago.
4. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
5. Helga's most recent infant
(a) Looks just like Helga.
(b) Passed away after one week.
(c) Was nursed by Clementine.
(d) Is cared for by Pastor Green.
Short Answer Questions
1. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
2. Helga grows tired and ill from
3. Brian demands that Irene not
4. Irene is determined to keep her life
5. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
Short Essay Questions
1. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
2. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
3. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
4. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
5. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
6. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
7. Clare attends the Negro League dance with Brian and Irene. What does the dance symbolize in the story? Why is Irene careful to arrange a ride home for Clare?
8. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
9. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
10. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,586 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)