|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Desperately wants to see her.
(b) Really does not want to see her.
(c) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(d) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
2. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Claimed he had Negro blood.
(b) Asked Irene to leave.
(c) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
(d) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
3. Brian would rather be living in
(a) The Netherlands.
(b) South America.
(c) Southern Europe.
(d) South Africa.
4. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
5. Helga chooses to remain
(a) In her unhappy situation.
(b) Bedridden for as long as she can.
(c) A servant of God.
(d) In Alabama with her beloved husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
2. What happened to Clare's father?
3. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
4. Irene allowing Clare into the private rooms of the house symbolizes
5. In her illness, Helga is unable to
Short Essay Questions
1. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
2. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
3. What kind of parent is Clare Kendry? What are the clues, thus far, that help us to draw conclusions about her parenting abilities? How has Larsen informed us about this?
4. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
5. Things have taken a turn for the worse at the Redfields'. What are the clues that the story is inching toward a conclusion as it pertains to the Redfields and Clare Kendry? What conclusions can we draw about this section of the story?
6. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
7. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
8. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
9. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
10. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
This section contains 1,784 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)