|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(b) Has no impact.
(c) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(d) Is extremely disturbing to him.
2. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
(b) See her daughter in Switzerland.
(c) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
(d) Get back into white society.
3. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A fox.
(b) A cougar.
(c) A lion.
(d) A cat.
4. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
(a) Blissful motherhood.
5. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
(a) She is a high fashion model in New York.
(b) She has been seen with rich white men.
(c) She has been a housewife.
(d) She has found a career as a dancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
2. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
3. The time spent without Clare in the picture
4. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
5. Helga finds some satisfaction in
Short Essay Questions
1. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
2. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
3. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
4. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
5. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
6. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
7. What is odd about the initial meeting among Irene, Gertrude and Clare? Are these conversations typical among women friends? What, if anything, makes the visit among the three women unusual?
8. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
9. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
10. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)