|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
(d) Blissful motherhood.
2. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(b) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
(c) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
(d) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
3. Helga grows tired and ill from
(a) Gossip and loneliness.
(b) Continuous child bearing.
(c) The dirt and squalor.
(d) Bad food.
4. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
(a) Because he wants to see black people.
(b) Because he is self-righteous.
(c) Because he is a voyeur.
(d) Because he is attracted to black women.
5. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Brian invited Clare to tea.
(b) Her children tell her.
(c) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
(d) Clare tells her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
2. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
3. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
4. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
5. At the tea, Clare is
Short Essay Questions
1. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
2. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
3. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
4. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
5. What kind of parent is Clare Kendry? What are the clues, thus far, that help us to draw conclusions about her parenting abilities? How has Larsen informed us about this?
6. Is there anything we can deduce about Irene's response to Clare's letter without knowing the whole story? If so, what are they?
7. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
8. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
9. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
10. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
This section contains 1,578 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)