|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
(b) Indicates danger to the children.
(c) Exposes her violent nature.
(d) Should have been a clue for Irene.
2. Irene has a bad moment during the social event wherein she
(a) Screams at Brian.
(b) Deliberately breaks a tea cup.
(c) Throws a champagne bottle.
(d) Pushes Clare across the room.
3. At the tea, Clare is
(b) Not herself.
(d) Lively and gregarious.
4. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Love her new child.
(b) Ask the right questions.
(c) Give birth.
(d) Pray properly.
5. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Is extremely disturbing to him.
(b) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(c) Has no impact.
(d) Makes her nervous and frightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
2. Why does Irene bring up Junior being exposed to sexually tinged jokes?
3. Clare married her husband because
4. Helga finds some satisfaction in
5. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
2. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
3. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
4. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
5. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
6. What is your initial assessment of Clare Kendry? Do we know enough about her in these first two chapters to draw any conclusions about her? If so, what would they be?
7. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
8. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
9. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
10. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
This section contains 1,559 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)