|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Brian invited Clare to tea.
(b) Her children tell her.
(c) Clare tells her.
(d) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
2. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Lose Felise as a friend.
(b) Lose Brian.
(c) Walk in the snow.
(d) Offend Clare.
3. Brian would rather be living in
(a) The Netherlands.
(b) Southern Europe.
(c) South Africa.
(d) South America.
4. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
(a) Hard work.
(b) Naxos and its efforts.
(c) The black southerners and their simplicity.
(d) New York and its excitement.
5. Clare is very
(a) Generous and gregarious.
(b) Self-focused and manipulative.
(c) Maternal and kind.
(d) Threatening and belligerent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
2. The teacup Irene destroys is
3. Brian states that sex is a joke because
4. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
5. Brian demands that Irene not
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss how giving birth to her fourth child seems to be Helga's breaking point. Why does this happen? What does the death of her infant symbolize?
2. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
3. What kind of parent is Clare Kendry? What are the clues, thus far, that help us to draw conclusions about her parenting abilities? How has Larsen informed us about this?
4. What do we learn about the marriage of Irene and Brian Redfield in this chapter? Is it healthy? Is it durable? Why, or why not?
5. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
6. What is the author's intention when she puts the two women together in the hotel restaurant scene? What conclusions can we draw from Irene's memory of that day?
7. After two years pass, Clare again wants to become involved in Irene's life. Is Irene's reaction negative or positive? Explain her reaction.
8. What is the burden that these characters carry with them throughout the story?
9. How did her religion help Helga through difficult times?
10. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)