|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
(b) Glad that he has rejected her.
(c) Realize that she does not like him.
(d) Consider marrying James Vayle.
2. Prior to Olsen's proposal, Helga had planned to
(a) Steal Dr. Anderson from Anne.
(b) Begin a new relationship with Herr Dahl.
(c) Date within her own race.
(d) Turn her attention to another man.
3. Anne secretly knows that Dr. Anderson might
(a) Cheat on her throughout their marriage.
(b) Lose his job and become dependent.
(c) Have a split personality.
(d) Lose his willpower when it comes to Helga.
4. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
(a) She is a black activist.
(b) She is an aggressive woman.
(c) Her hair is blonde.
(d) Her skin is fair.
5. Helga tells Olsen that some day
(a) He will learn to love all black people.
(b) In the future, they will marry.
(c) His racism will catch up with him.
(d) The differences in their races would come between them.
Short Answer Questions
1. For her departure from Denmark, Helga now blames
2. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
3. Helga considers Negro society to be
4. Helga is tired of black people
5. Helga wants to leave Naxos because
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
2. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
3. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
4. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
5. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
6. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
7. Why does Helga think Anne is almost perfect? Is Anne perfect? What does Helga even know about her at this point in the story?
8. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
9. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
10. Discuss Axel Olsen's inappropriateness with Helga. What kind of person is he? Why does Helga reject him?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)