|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga wants to leave Naxos because
(a) She hates James Vayle.
(b) She does not fit in.
(c) She dislikes her students.
(d) The staff is dependent upon her.
2. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
(a) The idea of of singing.
(b) The flu.
3. The portrait Olsen has painted of Helga is
(a) Exotic and wild.
(b) Demure and soft.
(c) Exact and lifelike.
(d) A mocking likeness.
4. When she finds Anne gone upon her return from the tea, Helga
(a) Is indifferent.
(b) Is worried.
(c) Is disappointed.
(d) Is upset.
5. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
2. Olsen thinks Helga's surprise at his proposal is
3. Anne does not know that Helga
4. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
5. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
2. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
3. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
4. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
5. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
6. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
7. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
8. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
9. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
10. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)