|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back in Harlem, Anne has
(a) Rejected Helga completely.
(b) Become overly-protective.
(c) Begun to drink heavily.
(d) Distanced herself from Helga.
2. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
(a) Dullness and aversion.
(b) A stronger sense of her self.
(c) Anxiety and tension.
(d) A more secure outlook.
3. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
4. Axel Olsen tells Helga that she has
(a) The soul of a prostitute.
(b) The grace of an African.
(c) The determination of a white woman.
(d) The stubbornness of a mule.
5. Anne does not know that Helga
(a) Is angry about the Audrey Denny comments.
(b) Dislikes her.
(c) Is hoping Anne will like Dr. Anderson.
(d) Is planning to leave for Denmark.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
2. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
3. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
4. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
5. Helga tells Olsen that some day
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
2. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
3. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
4. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
5. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
6. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
7. What is Helga's reasoning for not wanting children? Is this just a defense mechanism on her part? Why, or why not?
8. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
9. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
10. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)