|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga could never marry
(a) An artist.
(b) A white man.
(c) A black man.
(d) A Dane.
2. What the Dahls have wanted all along was
(a) For Helga to leave.
(b) For Helga to marry.
(c) A better understanding of Helga.
(d) An artist in the family.
3. Helga shows up at the mission
(a) Wishing to find friends.
(b) Ready to receive God.
(c) Wet and disoriented.
(d) Looking for a way to die.
4. Helga's false pride masks her
(b) Insecurity and pain.
(c) Lack of taste.
(d) Cruel nature.
5. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
(a) Anne thinks Helga's mother just recently died.
(b) She knows she is taking advantage of Anne.
(c) She has taken money from Hayes-Rore.
(d) She plans to abscond with Anne's fortune.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once again, Helga realizes that
2. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
3. Anne's feelings about racism cause her to
4. Helga considers Negro society to be
5. Axel Olsen tells Helga that she has
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
2. Why did Uncle Peter's wife reject Helga? Is she an unreasonable woman? Is she cruel? Explain your answers.
3. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
4. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
5. Why does Helga think Anne is almost perfect? Is Anne perfect? What does Helga even know about her at this point in the story?
6. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
7. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
8. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
9. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
10. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)