|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chicago, Helga finds a place to stay
(a) With an old friend.
(b) At the local YWCA.
(c) At the local golf club.
(d) With a roommate in an apartment.
2. Helga leaves Denmark with the expectation of
(a) Bringing Anne back with her.
(b) Staying in Harlem forever.
(c) Returning after the wedding.
(d) Marrying Dr. Anderson.
3. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
(a) She dresses loudly.
(b) She is a heavy drinker.
(c) She dances with anyone who asks.
(d) She socializes with whites and blacks.
4. Helga's aunt resembles
(a) Helga's father.
(b) Uncle Peter.
(c) Helga's mother.
(d) Audrey Denny.
5. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
(a) She is angry to be black.
(b) She is jealous, confused and afraid.
(c) She wants to continue to live with Anne.
(d) She misses her aunt and uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What effect did Uncle Peter's check have on Helga?
2. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
3. The portrait Olsen has painted of Helga is
4. In the sophisticated crowd, James Vayle seems
5. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
Short Essay Questions
1. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
2. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
3. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
4. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
5. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
6. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
7. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
8. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
9. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
10. What does the story imply about Mrs. Hayes-Rore's husband? In what might he have been involved? Explain your answers, quoting text.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)