|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The portrait Olsen has painted of Helga is
(a) A mocking likeness.
(b) Exotic and wild.
(c) Exact and lifelike.
(d) Demure and soft.
2. Back in Harlem, Anne has
(a) Become overly-protective.
(b) Distanced herself from Helga.
(c) Begun to drink heavily.
(d) Rejected Helga completely.
3. Helga's hidden feeling about her lack of family is
4. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
5. It is possible that Helga Crane is
(a) In love with Dr. Anderson.
(b) Ready to settle down with anyone.
(c) Desperate to be married.
(d) Too irritable to have a relationship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga's aunt resembles
2. The staging of Helga by her aunt and uncle make Helga feel like
3. What effect did Uncle Peter's check have on Helga?
4. Anne secretly knows that Dr. Anderson might
5. Helga thinks she has now
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Helga's "maladjustment" at Naxos. Is it about the school, or is it about Helga, or both?
2. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
3. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
4. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
5. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
6. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
7. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
8. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
9. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
10. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)