|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Katrina would like Helga to
(a) Be attracted to Axel Olsen.
(b) Be less flambouyant.
(c) Make more friends.
(d) Stay with her forever.
2. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be black.
(b) Will be attractive.
(c) Will not accept her.
(d) Will be like Uncle Peter.
3. Helga shows up at the mission
(a) Ready to receive God.
(b) Wet and disoriented.
(c) Looking for a way to die.
(d) Wishing to find friends.
4. In the sophisticated crowd, James Vayle seems
(a) Young and innocent.
(b) Silly and under-dressed.
(c) Highly principled.
(d) Like a country boy.
5. The sermon heard earlier affects Helga because
(a) She feels it was rude and inappropriate.
(b) It was not spontaneous.
(c) It pressed ideas onto the students about God.
(d) It was about the persecution of blacks.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
2. Helga takes the time to
3. Helga Crane loves
4. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
5. In Chicago, Helga finds a place to stay
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
2. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
3. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
4. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
5. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
6. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
7. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
8. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
9. What do we know about Clare Kendry from her letter to Irene? What do we know about her from this chapter?
10. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)