|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
(b) Realize that she does not like him.
(c) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(d) Glad that he has rejected her.
2. At the bottom of Helga's angst may be the fact that
(a) She has abandoned her family.
(b) She has a better place in society.
(c) Her family was wealthy at one time.
(d) She comes from questionable circumstances.
3. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
(b) Forget her past in Harlem.
(c) Not be mad at her.
(d) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
4. It is possible that Helga Crane is
(a) Too irritable to have a relationship.
(b) Desperate to be married.
(c) In love with Dr. Anderson.
(d) Ready to settle down with anyone.
5. Helga feels that at Naxos she is
(a) Well thought of.
(d) A real success.
Short Answer Questions
1. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
2. The Danish word for "black" that Helga hears in town is
3. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
4. Helga feels the school's intention is to
5. Helga has trouble finding work because she
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
2. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
3. What does the story imply about Mrs. Hayes-Rore's husband? In what might he have been involved? Explain your answers, quoting text.
4. Discuss Uncle Poul's reaction to Helga's weeping. Is he a kind man? A loving uncle? Why or why not?
5. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
6. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
7. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
8. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
9. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
10. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)