|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga is sure that James Vayle's family
(a) Is spiteful and petty.
(b) Wishes she would marry him.
(c) Is warm and inviting.
(d) Disapproves of her.
2. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
(a) A wish for more money.
(b) A repugnance of Negroes.
(c) A hatred of Harlem.
3. In the sophisticated crowd, James Vayle seems
(a) Highly principled.
(b) Silly and under-dressed.
(c) Like a country boy.
(d) Young and innocent.
4. Helga's aunt resembles
(a) Helga's mother.
(b) Helga's father.
(c) Audrey Denny.
(d) Uncle Peter.
5. Helga considers that perhaps her feelings for Dr. Anderson mean that
(a) She resents him.
(b) She is in love with him.
(c) She wishes he would leave New York.
(d) She longs for Naxos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
2. Olsen thinks Helga's surprise at his proposal is
3. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
4. Helga tells her story to Mrs. Hayes-Rore who
5. The husband of Mrs. Hayes-Rore died
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
2. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
3. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
4. Discuss Axel Olsen's inappropriateness with Helga. What kind of person is he? Why does Helga reject him?
5. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
6. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
7. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
8. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
9. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
10. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
This section contains 1,280 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)