|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga feels the school's intention is to
(a) Teach the children arts and crafts.
(b) Pave the way for college students.
(c) Turn black children into white children.
(d) Preserve the Negro culture.
2. Anne does not know that Helga
(a) Is planning to leave for Denmark.
(b) Is hoping Anne will like Dr. Anderson.
(c) Is angry about the Audrey Denny comments.
(d) Dislikes her.
3. When it comes to Dr. Anderson, Helga has now developed a vague sense of
4. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be like Uncle Peter.
(b) Will not accept her.
(c) Will be black.
(d) Will be attractive.
5. It is possible that Helga Crane is
(a) Desperate to be married.
(b) Too irritable to have a relationship.
(c) Ready to settle down with anyone.
(d) In love with Dr. Anderson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
2. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
3. Dr. Anderson has assumed that Helga's good qualities are due to
4. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
5. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
Short Essay Questions
1. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
2. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
3. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
4. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
5. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
6. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
7. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
8. Discuss Helga's new exuberance as the wife of a minister.
9. What, exactly, does Irene fervently wish John Bellew could know? Why?
10. What is your initial assessment of Clare Kendry? Do we know enough about her in these first two chapters to draw any conclusions about her? If so, what would they be?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)