|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
(a) That her mother was white.
(b) The relationship between the two.
(c) Her teaching background.
(d) That her mother has died.
2. Anne does not know that Helga
(a) Is angry about the Audrey Denny comments.
(b) Is planning to leave for Denmark.
(c) Dislikes her.
(d) Is hoping Anne will like Dr. Anderson.
3. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
(a) Excite her.
(b) Bore and exasperate her.
(c) Make her want to serve her race.
(d) Make her irritable.
4. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
(b) The idea of of singing.
(c) The flu.
5. Margaret Creighton is
(a) Concerned for Helga's career.
(b) Worried about losing her job.
(c) Afraid Helga might be ill.
(d) A lost soul.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
2. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
3. Helga is sure that James Vayle's family
4. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
5. Helga Crane loves
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
2. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
3. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
4. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
5. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
6. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
7. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
8. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
9. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
10. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)