|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
(a) A stronger sense of her self.
(b) Dullness and aversion.
(c) A more secure outlook.
(d) Anxiety and tension.
2. James Vayle feels it is important
(a) For Helga to be married and settled down.
(b) For negroes at the top of the race to have children.
(c) For everyone to have at least one child.
(d) That poorer negroes continue to have children.
3. Helga is angry at herself because
(a) She is too beautiful to be a teacher.
(b) Her teaching has been ineffective.
(c) Her students think she is too young.
(d) Her colleagues like their jobs.
4. Helga found her job with the help of
(a) A teacher in downtown Chicago.
(b) The local YWCA.
(c) A small personnel agency.
(d) Mrs. Haye-Rore.
5. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
2. Helga has found peace and contentment in
3. Her deepest regret over the incident with Anderson is
4. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
5. Helga's hidden feeling about her lack of family is
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
2. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
3. What does Axel Olsen's portrait of Helga symbolize? Is the portrait important to the story? Why or why not?
4. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
5. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
6. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
7. Discuss Helga's "maladjustment" at Naxos. Is it about the school, or is it about Helga, or both?
8. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
9. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
10. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
This section contains 1,376 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)