|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
(a) Disrespect for Helga and her race.
(b) His true intentions of marrying Fru Dahl.
(c) His artistic finesse.
(d) His noble personality.
2. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She wants her to disappear.
(c) She is ashamed.
(d) She is determined.
3. Helga takes the time to
(a) Scrub the floors and windows.
(b) Order the maid to change Anne's bed.
(c) Prepare the house for Anne's arrival home.
(d) Write a note to Anne about her departure.
4. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) An insurance firm.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A factory.
(d) A retail store.
5. Helga's false pride masks her
(a) Insecurity and pain.
(b) Cruel nature.
(d) Lack of taste.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga thinks she has now
2. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
3. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
4. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
5. Helga found her job with the help of
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
2. What does the story imply about Mrs. Hayes-Rore's husband? In what might he have been involved? Explain your answers, quoting text.
3. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
4. Discuss Uncle Poul's reaction to Helga's weeping. Is he a kind man? A loving uncle? Why or why not?
5. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
6. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
7. What is Helga's reasoning for not wanting children? Is this just a defense mechanism on her part? Why, or why not?
8. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
9. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
10. Discuss Helga's "maladjustment" at Naxos. Is it about the school, or is it about Helga, or both?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)