|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her lovely room at Naxos, Helga is
(a) Perfectly content and relaxed.
(b) Angry and wants to leave.
(c) Passionate about children.
(d) Fulfilled in her job.
2. Anne's feelings about racism cause her to
(a) Stay out of Harlem.
(b) Keep to herself.
(c) Reject blacks.
(d) Hate white people.
3. Helga remembers her mother being
4. At the bottom of Helga's angst may be the fact that
(a) Her family was wealthy at one time.
(b) She has abandoned her family.
(c) She has a better place in society.
(d) She comes from questionable circumstances.
5. In the sophisticated crowd, James Vayle seems
(a) Young and innocent.
(b) Highly principled.
(c) Silly and under-dressed.
(d) Like a country boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dr. Anderson makes an assumption about her background, Helga
2. How did Helga's mother lift herself out of her bad situation?
3. Helga's hidden feeling about her lack of family is
4. What Helga respects in Audrey is
5. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
2. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
3. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
4. Discuss Helga's "maladjustment" at Naxos. Is it about the school, or is it about Helga, or both?
5. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
6. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
7. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
8. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
9. What does the story imply about Mrs. Hayes-Rore's husband? In what might he have been involved? Explain your answers, quoting text.
10. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)