|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Margaret Creighton is
(a) Afraid Helga might be ill.
(b) A lost soul.
(c) Worried about losing her job.
(d) Concerned for Helga's career.
2. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Knows no one in Chicago.
(b) Has no references.
(c) Is too persistent.
(d) Tries too hard.
3. Helga's step-siblings were
(a) Mulatto children.
(b) White children.
(c) Danish children.
(d) Black children.
4. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
(a) She does not want to fit in.
(b) She loves to travel.
(c) Her feelings are hurt.
(d) She is better than these people.
5. Helga Crane loves
(a) Beauty and beautiful things.
(c) Classical music.
(d) Being black and educated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga feels that at Naxos she is
2. Helga considers Negro society to be
3. The remade green velvet dress
4. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
5. Helga is angry at herself because
Short Essay Questions
1. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
2. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
3. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
4. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
5. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
6. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
7. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
8. What is Helga's reasoning for not wanting children? Is this just a defense mechanism on her part? Why, or why not?
9. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
10. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)