|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
(a) She is angry to be black.
(b) She wants to continue to live with Anne.
(c) She misses her aunt and uncle.
(d) She is jealous, confused and afraid.
2. Helga's aunt Katrina wants Helga to
(a) Wear less makeup.
(b) Dress in a subdued manner.
(c) Wear brightly colored clothing.
(d) Mind her manners.
3. What emotion does Dr. Anderson's presence stir up in Helga?
(a) Her grief.
(b) Her superiority.
(c) Her depression.
(d) Her anger.
4. Her decision to marry Pleasant Green is Helga's way of
(a) Avoiding a return to Denmark.
(b) Hurting James Vayle.
(c) Having both God and man.
(d) Avenging Dr. Anderson's cruelty.
5. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
(a) Robert Anderson.
(b) Her wish to stay with Anne.
(c) Her simple life in Chicago.
(d) Her career goals.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
2. Anne Grey symbolizes
3. Katrina would like Helga to
4. Prior to Olsen's proposal, Helga had planned to
5. Helga Crane loves
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
2. Why did Uncle Peter's wife reject Helga? Is she an unreasonable woman? Is she cruel? Explain your answers.
3. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
4. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
5. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
6. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
7. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
8. Is Helga feeling regret as she leaves Naxos? Why or why not? Is this a good move for her career? Is sh being responsible?
9. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
10. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
This section contains 1,276 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)