|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Teach small children.
(b) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(c) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(d) Clean a large, beautiful home.
2. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
(a) Bore and exasperate her.
(b) Make her want to serve her race.
(c) Excite her.
(d) Make her irritable.
3. How did Helga's mother lift herself out of her bad situation?
(a) She married a white man.
(b) She proclaimed her Danish heritage.
(c) She moved to Denmark.
(d) She stopped having children.
4. When she finds Anne gone upon her return from the tea, Helga
(a) Is disappointed.
(b) Is upset.
(c) Is worried.
(d) Is indifferent.
5. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
(a) His noble personality.
(b) His artistic finesse.
(c) His true intentions of marrying Fru Dahl.
(d) Disrespect for Helga and her race.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga's aunt resembles
2. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
3. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
4. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
5. Helga considers that perhaps her feelings for Dr. Anderson mean that
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Axel Olsen's inappropriateness with Helga. What kind of person is he? Why does Helga reject him?
2. Discuss Helga's newly emerging feelings about the black population around her in New York. What might this mean about Helga?
3. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
4. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
5. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
6. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
7. Why did Uncle Peter's wife reject Helga? Is she an unreasonable woman? Is she cruel? Explain your answers.
8. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
9. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
10. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)