|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga decides to ask her maternal uncle for help because
(a) She knows he will take her in.
(b) Her mother would have wanted it.
(c) Her father's wealth has disappeared.
(d) Her father's relatives hate her.
2. When it comes to Dr. Anderson, Helga has now developed a vague sense of
3. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
(a) She does not want to fit in.
(b) She is better than these people.
(c) She loves to travel.
(d) Her feelings are hurt.
4. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
(b) Forget her past in Harlem.
(c) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
(d) Not be mad at her.
5. Helga considers Negro society to be
(a) Beneath her social status.
(b) Simple and straightforward.
(c) As complex as white.
(d) Much easier to live with than white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What the Dahls have wanted all along was
2. Helga leaves Denmark with the expectation of
3. Helga's false pride masks her
4. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
5. Once again, Helga realizes that
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
2. What is Helga's reasoning for not wanting children? Is this just a defense mechanism on her part? Why, or why not?
3. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
4. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
5. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
6. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
7. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
8. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
9. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
10. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)