|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
(a) A struggling actress.
(b) An activist for the Negro cause.
(c) An administrator for Chicago schools.
(d) An entertainer.
2. What Helga respects in Audrey is
(a) Her ability to look beyond racial barriers.
(b) Her incredible talent for dancing.
(c) Her intrigue with Dr. Anderson.
(d) Her beautiful apricot colored dress.
3. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
4. Helga Crane loves
(a) Beauty and beautiful things.
(b) Classical music.
(d) Being black and educated.
5. Katrina would like Helga to
(a) Stay with her forever.
(b) Be less flambouyant.
(c) Be attracted to Axel Olsen.
(d) Make more friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga has found peace and contentment in
2. As Helga watches the dancers, she sees
3. Helga remembers her mother being
4. The Fishers arrive at the boat in order to
5. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Axel Olsen's portrait of Helga symbolize? Is the portrait important to the story? Why or why not?
2. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
3. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
4. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
5. Discuss Uncle Poul's reaction to Helga's weeping. Is he a kind man? A loving uncle? Why or why not?
6. Discuss Helga's "maladjustment" at Naxos. Is it about the school, or is it about Helga, or both?
7. What surprises does Katrina's character bring in the story? Does she provide a safe haven or a sense of family for Helga? Why, or why not?
8. Discuss the reasons for Helga's newfound happiness with her life in New York. What is it that pleases her in these new surroudings? Why does she feel better here than in Chicago?
9. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
10. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)