|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
(a) Her simple life in Chicago.
(b) Her wish to stay with Anne.
(c) Robert Anderson.
(d) Her career goals.
2. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
(b) Free to pursue others.
(c) Extremely depressed.
(d) Wanting to return to Naxos.
3. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
(a) Her skin is fair.
(b) Her hair is blonde.
(c) She is an aggressive woman.
(d) She is a black activist.
4. Helga now feels alienated from
(a) Harlem and New York.
(b) Her aunt.
(d) The Negro race.
5. The husband of Mrs. Hayes-Rore died
(b) In peace.
(c) At his own hand.
(d) After a long illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga feels the school's intention is to
2. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
3. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
4. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
5. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this time in Helga's life compare to other times? Is it similar or different? In what ways?
2. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
3. Why do you suppose Clare is pushing herself so rigorously to get involved in Irene's life? Why has she not chosen, for instance, Gertrude, to reacquaint her with the black culture? What is the particular attraction to Irene?
4. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
5. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
6. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
7. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
8. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
9. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
10. Clare attends the Negro League dance with Brian and Irene. What does the dance symbolize in the story? Why is Irene careful to arrange a ride home for Clare?
This section contains 1,453 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)