|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Forget her past in Harlem.
(b) Not be mad at her.
(c) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
(d) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
2. Helga's hidden feeling about her lack of family is
3. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not good looking.
(b) Her attitude was superior.
(c) She was not very smart.
(d) She was fair-skinned.
4. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) A retail store.
(b) A law firm.
(c) An insurance firm.
(d) A factory.
5. The reason for Mrs. Hayes-Rore's reaction to Helga's story is that
(a) She becomes quite bored with Helga's drama.
(b) People do not talk about intermingling race.
(c) The story strikes a familiar note.
(d) She is appalled and disgusted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back in Harlem, Anne has
2. When it comes to Dr. Anderson, Helga has now developed a vague sense of
3. Helga's false pride masks her
4. Helga's aunt Katrina wants Helga to
5. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
Short Essay Questions
1. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
2. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
3. Who is Uncle Peter? Why does Helga expect help from him?
4. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
5. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
6. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
7. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
8. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
9. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
10. Dr. Anderson has almost talked Helga into staying at Naxos. What triggers her rage, and why?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)