|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Helga encounter Robert Anderson again?
(a) At a health meeting in a church.
(b) At a health seminar at her employer's.
(c) At an insurance conference in Harlem.
(d) At a local restaurant.
2. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be like Uncle Peter.
(b) Will be black.
(c) Will be attractive.
(d) Will not accept her.
3. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Make him jealous.
(b) Get him matched up with Anne.
(c) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
(d) Arrange never to see him again.
4. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) Her grandmother is there.
(b) She worked in the factories there.
(c) She was born there.
(d) She remembers going there as a child.
5. Why does her uncle's wife reject Helga?
(a) She thinks Helga dresses too loudly.
(b) She does not believe Helga.
(c) She feels Helga is not a valid member of the family.
(d) She is simply cruel and evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. The painter, Herr Olsen, finds Helga's looks to be
2. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
3. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
4. Helga has trouble finding work because she
5. Helga's step-siblings were
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
2. What is the YWCA and why is Helga there? Is this a safe haven for her? Does it meet her high living standards?
3. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
4. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
5. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
6. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
7. What is Helga's reasoning for not wanting children? Is this just a defense mechanism on her part? Why, or why not?
8. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
9. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
10. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)