Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
(a) His true intentions of marrying Fru Dahl.
(b) His noble personality.
(c) His artistic finesse.
(d) Disrespect for Helga and her race.
2. Once again, Helga realizes that
(a) Negroes are her own people.
(b) Harlem is the height of racism.
(c) Negroes are superior to whites.
(d) Harlem is superior to Denmark.
3. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) An insurance firm.
(b) A retail store.
(c) A factory.
(d) A law firm.
4. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
(a) Is a well-known gossip.
(b) Has dishonorable intentions.
(c) Has assimilated into the school's culture.
(d) Is a rebel and a loner.
5. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
(a) She is ashamed of herself for resigning.
(b) She wanted to stay.
(c) She feels she confided too much to him.
(d) She feels she told half-truths.
Short Answer Questions
1. For her departure from Denmark, Helga now blames
2. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
3. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
4. Helga leaves Denmark with the expectation of
5. Helga tells Olsen that some day
Short Essay Questions
1. Do we know why Helga loses interest in her present lifestyle? How would you assess Helga if you were her friend or counselor?
2. What role, if any, does Clare's husband play in the story so far? Is he a comforting presence? Why, or why not? Is he a likable character?
3. Hugh Wentworth, the white author, comes back into the story during the afternoon tea scene. What is Wentworth's role? Is he a true friend to Irene? To Clare?
4. Is it clear whether Helga is liked by her peers or colleagues? If so, is it genuine? Is Helga a likable person?
5. What is it that has kept Clare from leaving her husband and living permanently in Harlem?
6. During a period while Clare is gone, is there peace in the Redfield home? Why, or why not?
7. Speculate on why Clare is silent at the Redfield dinner table, but talkative and gregarious a parties with others. Does she have a split personality, or is she just shy at the Redfields'? How does Larsen let on what is going on without saying it?
8. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
9. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
10. Why does Helga's lack of references hurt her job search? Why does she have no references?
This section contains 1,438 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)