|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) She worked in the factories there.
(b) She was born there.
(c) She remembers going there as a child.
(d) Her grandmother is there.
2. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
(a) She wants to continue to live with Anne.
(b) She misses her aunt and uncle.
(c) She is jealous, confused and afraid.
(d) She is angry to be black.
3. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Make him jealous.
(b) Arrange never to see him again.
(c) Get him matched up with Anne.
(d) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
4. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
(a) The relationship between the two.
(b) That her mother was white.
(c) That her mother has died.
(d) Her teaching background.
5. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She is ashamed.
(b) She wants her to disappear.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is determined.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
2. Helga could never marry
3. As Helga watches the dancers, she sees
4. Helga feels that at Naxos she is
5. In Chicago, Helga finds a place to stay
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
2. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
3. Why does Helga feel free on the ship on her way to Denmark? Does being isolated in the middle of the ocean have any effect on her? If so, what?
4. Describe Helga's lifestyle as a teacher. Is it unusual? Why or why not?
5. Devastated over losing what she secretly hoped would develop into an affair with Anderson, Helga's depression returns. Discuss the worship service that she happens upon, and its symbolism.
6. Why does Anne begin avoiding Helga? Has something come between them? What is it?
7. Why does Helga decide to marry Reverend Green? Does her decision make any sense? Is she not concerned about the reactions of others?
8. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
9. What is Helga's reasoning for not wanting children? Is this just a defense mechanism on her part? Why, or why not?
10. What is it about African Americans that Helga hates? Is this opinion of hers new, or has she felt this way for some time? What causes her to draw this conclusion?
This section contains 1,456 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)