|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does her uncle's wife reject Helga?
(a) She feels Helga is not a valid member of the family.
(b) She does not believe Helga.
(c) She thinks Helga dresses too loudly.
(d) She is simply cruel and evil.
2. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Needs a better hairdo.
(b) Needs higher heels.
(c) Must have earrings.
(d) Needs more makeup.
3. Her deepest regret over the incident with Anderson is
(a) She never really liked him.
(b) Her broken relationship with Anne.
(c) That she made a fool of herself.
(d) That she did not tell Anne.
4. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
(a) An administrator for Chicago schools.
(b) An entertainer.
(c) A struggling actress.
(d) An activist for the Negro cause.
5. Axel Olsen tells Helga that she has
(a) The soul of a prostitute.
(b) The stubbornness of a mule.
(c) The determination of a white woman.
(d) The grace of an African.
Short Answer Questions
1. Knowing she is without support, Helga's desperation turns to
2. Katrina would like Helga to
3. The sermon heard earlier affects Helga because
4. In her lovely room at Naxos, Helga is
5. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Helga think Anne is almost perfect? Is Anne perfect? What does Helga even know about her at this point in the story?
2. How does Larsen tell us that Helga is irreparably damaged from her childhood? Helga does not complain much - how do we know that she carries old wounds?
3. Why would Helga become alienated in a school for Negro children? What makes her different from other faculty.
4. What is Anne's problem with Audrey Denny? Does her hate toward Audrey make any sense? Why or why not?
5. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
6. To what do you suppose Helga is attracted in Dr. Anderson? (Hint: Up until now, the author repeatedly mentions a certain aspect of him.)
7. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
8. Something about Anne has begun to wear on Helga. What is it? Is Helga's irritability justified? Why?
9. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
10. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)