|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga could never marry
(a) A white man.
(b) A black man.
(c) A Dane.
(d) An artist.
2. What Helga respects in Audrey is
(a) Her intrigue with Dr. Anderson.
(b) Her incredible talent for dancing.
(c) Her ability to look beyond racial barriers.
(d) Her beautiful apricot colored dress.
3. Helga feels the school's intention is to
(a) Teach the children arts and crafts.
(b) Pave the way for college students.
(c) Turn black children into white children.
(d) Preserve the Negro culture.
4. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) She was born there.
(b) She remembers going there as a child.
(c) Her grandmother is there.
(d) She worked in the factories there.
5. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
(a) Make her want to serve her race.
(b) Make her irritable.
(c) Bore and exasperate her.
(d) Excite her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anne Grey symbolizes
2. Helga projects a sense of
3. Helga decides to ask her maternal uncle for help because
4. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
5. The Danish word for "black" that Helga hears in town is
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helga's opinions of Naxos as an institution. Would Naxos be a popular school in today's world? Why, or why not?
2. Discuss Uncle Poul's reaction to Helga's weeping. Is he a kind man? A loving uncle? Why or why not?
3. What exactly happens to Helga in Denmark? What is her social life like? Is she doomed to be unhappy again? Why?
4. Why does Helga return to Harlem? Discuss her newfound spiritual ties to the black population here. Is it the same connection she felt before? Why, or why not?
5. How has the gift of Uncle Peter's money affected Helga? Was this a kind gesture on his part? Why or why not?
6. What is the point of Larsen's description of Helga's response to the music at the club? What does the jungle animal description prove? Is this a racist passage?
7. What was it about Helga's past that was so unhappy? Is her unhappiness justified? Why, or why not?
8. What is Dr. Anderson's attitude toward the troubles of society? Is he an idealist, or is he a wise man? Use examples to answer.
9. What is it that disturbs Helga about Naxos' methods of educating children? Are her feelings justified?
10. Explain Helga's repulsed fascination with the Negro performers. Why does she return over and over to see them? Is this helping her somehow?
This section contains 1,365 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)