|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
2. John Bellew enters Felise's apartment in a state of
3. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) She thinks it is meaningless.
(c) It might serve as a warning to him.
(d) She is not sure why it happened.
4. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Walk in the snow.
(b) Offend Clare.
(c) Lose Felise as a friend.
(d) Lose Brian.
5. Why does Irene feel it unsafe for Clare to come back?
(a) She could be assaulted.
(b) She could be mistaken for someone else.
(c) Her picture could end up in the papers.
(d) Her husband and child could find out.
6. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
(c) Blissful motherhood.
7. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
(a) Old ties of friendship.
(b) Love and longing.
(c) Shame and sadness.
(d) Anger and humiliation.
8. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
(a) Her affection.
(b) Her selflessness.
(c) Her energy.
(d) Her anger.
9. Irene Redfield does not
(a) Does not tell her sons they are black.
(b) Discuss her skin color.
(c) Try to pass as a white person.
(d) Reveal to anyone that she is black.
10. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
(a) Discloses all she knows about Clare.
(b) Is embarrassed about bringing Clare.
(c) Does not tell him Clare is black.
(d) Complains about Brian.
11. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
(a) She is hiding her real address.
(b) It implies Clare thinks Irene would be indiscreet.
(c) It shows Clare's devious nature.
(d) It implies that Clare is being sarcastic.
12. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) See her daughter in Switzerland.
(b) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
(c) Get back into white society.
(d) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
13. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Asked Irene to leave.
(b) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
(c) Claimed he had Negro blood.
(d) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
14. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Orderly and managed.
(b) Peaceful and serene.
(c) Spontaneous and fun.
(d) Wild and carefree.
15. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Re-commit to the church.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Leave Pastor Green.
(d) Flee to Naxos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
2. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
3. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
4. The time spent without Clare in the picture
5. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)