|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The teacup Irene destroys is
(a) A porcelain antique.
(b) An heirloom from Brian's family.
(c) A cheap reproduction.
2. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Indicates danger to the children.
(b) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(c) Exposes her violent nature.
(d) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
3. Helga grows tired and ill from
(a) Gossip and loneliness.
(b) Continuous child bearing.
(c) The dirt and squalor.
(d) Bad food.
4. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
(a) His continued longing to be in South America.
(b) His sense of guilt.
(c) His increased satisfaction with his job.
(d) His newfound happiness in his marriage.
5. Irene has a bad moment during the social event wherein she
(a) Pushes Clare across the room.
(b) Deliberately breaks a tea cup.
(c) Throws a champagne bottle.
(d) Screams at Brian.
6. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
(a) Does not tell him Clare is black.
(b) Is embarrassed about bringing Clare.
(c) Complains about Brian.
(d) Discloses all she knows about Clare.
7. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
(a) Because he is attracted to black women.
(b) Because he is a voyeur.
(c) Because he wants to see black people.
(d) Because he is self-righteous.
8. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
(a) She can travel more.
(b) She will despise her solitude.
(c) She can give up mothering.
(d) She will be free to live in Harlem.
9. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A cougar.
(b) A cat.
(c) A lion.
(d) A fox.
10. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Walk in the snow.
(b) Offend Clare.
(c) Lose Brian.
(d) Lose Felise as a friend.
11. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
(b) She packs up to leave.
(c) She rejects Green's advances.
(d) She prays for redemption.
12. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
(c) Blissful motherhood.
13. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
14. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
(a) Because she is so happy to be there.
(b) Because she plans to hurt the children.
(c) For reasons we do not yet know.
(d) Because she knows she is leaving.
15. Brian would rather be living in
(a) South Africa.
(b) The Netherlands.
(c) South America.
(d) Southern Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Bellew enters Felise's apartment in a state of
2. Brian demands that Irene not
3. Irene Redfield does not
4. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
5. Brian demands that Irene
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)