|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga's most recent infant
(a) Was nursed by Clementine.
(b) Is cared for by Pastor Green.
(c) Passed away after one week.
(d) Looks just like Helga.
2. When Brian tries to talk to his sons about racism, Irene
(a) Admonishes him.
(b) Speaks for him.
(c) Encourages him.
(d) Contradicts him.
3. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
4. Helga grows tired and ill from
(a) Gossip and loneliness.
(b) Continuous child bearing.
(c) Bad food.
(d) The dirt and squalor.
5. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Flee to Naxos.
(c) Leave Pastor Green.
(d) Re-commit to the church.
6. The time spent without Clare in the picture
(a) Solidifies her certainty of their affair.
(b) Does not clear up Irene's suspicions.
(c) Is a great comfort to Irene.
(d) Brings Brian's affection back to Irene.
7. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
(b) Preoccupied with her children.
(c) Her usual charming self.
(d) Unusually chatty.
8. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Really does not want to see her.
(b) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(c) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(d) Desperately wants to see her.
9. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
10. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
(a) Is embarrassed about bringing Clare.
(b) Discloses all she knows about Clare.
(c) Complains about Brian.
(d) Does not tell him Clare is black.
11. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
(a) Forced her to learn to cook.
(b) Tortured her with religion.
(c) Made her care for them in their old age.
(d) Used her father against her.
12. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She packs up to leave.
(b) She prays for redemption.
(c) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
(d) She rejects Green's advances.
13. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
(a) For reasons we do not yet know.
(b) Because she plans to hurt the children.
(c) Because she is so happy to be there.
(d) Because she knows she is leaving.
14. Where would Brian prefer to live?
(a) South Africa.
(b) South America.
(d) Southern Europe.
15. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Indicates danger to the children.
(b) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(c) Exposes her violent nature.
(d) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga finds some satisfaction in
2. Brian would rather be living in
3. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
4. Clare married her husband because
5. Clare is very
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)