|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Asked Irene to leave.
(b) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
(c) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
(d) Claimed he had Negro blood.
2. Helga grows tired and ill from
(a) The dirt and squalor.
(b) Continuous child bearing.
(c) Gossip and loneliness.
(d) Bad food.
3. Brian states that sex is a joke because
(a) His marriage is clearly unhappy.
(b) He wants his son to think sex is funny.
(c) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(d) He likes off color jokes.
4. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
(b) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(c) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
(d) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
5. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
(b) See her daughter in Switzerland.
(c) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
(d) Get back into white society.
6. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
(a) Clare's vulnerability.
(b) Clare's gregarious nature.
(c) Clare's having way.
(d) Clare's standoffishness.
7. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
(a) It implies that Clare is being sarcastic.
(b) She is hiding her real address.
(c) It implies Clare thinks Irene would be indiscreet.
(d) It shows Clare's devious nature.
8. Brian demands that Irene not
(a) Talk of sex at the table.
(b) Divert him from complaining about his job.
(c) Molly-coddle their son.
(d) Talk to him so much.
9. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
10. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
(b) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
(c) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(d) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
11. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
(a) Because she knows she is leaving.
(b) For reasons we do not yet know.
(c) Because she is so happy to be there.
(d) Because she plans to hurt the children.
12. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Really does not want to see her.
(b) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(c) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(d) Desperately wants to see her.
13. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
14. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A cougar.
(b) A lion.
(c) A cat.
(d) A fox.
15. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Has no impact.
(b) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(c) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(d) Is extremely disturbing to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irene has a bad moment during the social event wherein she
2. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
3. Brian demands that Irene
4. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
5. In this section, Clare is now
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)