|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(a) Absolutely not.
(c) She is ambivalent.
(d) Perhaps, with conditions.
2. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
(b) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
(c) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(d) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
3. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
(a) It implies Clare thinks Irene would be indiscreet.
(b) She is hiding her real address.
(c) It shows Clare's devious nature.
(d) It implies that Clare is being sarcastic.
4. When Brian tries to talk to his sons about racism, Irene
(a) Speaks for him.
(b) Admonishes him.
(c) Contradicts him.
(d) Encourages him.
5. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
(a) Because she knows she is leaving.
(b) For reasons we do not yet know.
(c) Because she plans to hurt the children.
(d) Because she is so happy to be there.
6. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Indicates danger to the children.
(b) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(c) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
(d) Exposes her violent nature.
7. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(b) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(c) Really does not want to see her.
(d) Desperately wants to see her.
8. What happened to Clare's father?
(a) He died from injuries in a fight.
(b) He died in a car accident.
(c) He was imprisoned.
(d) He left Clare when she was small.
9. Clare married her husband because
(a) She loves him.
(b) She wanted a banker.
(c) She wanted children.
(d) He has money.
10. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Flee to Naxos.
(b) Leave Pastor Green.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Re-commit to the church.
11. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Lose Felise as a friend.
(b) Lose Brian.
(c) Offend Clare.
(d) Walk in the snow.
12. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
(b) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(c) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
(d) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
13. The teacup Irene destroys is
(a) A porcelain antique.
(c) An heirloom from Brian's family.
(d) A cheap reproduction.
14. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
15. Brian would rather be living in
(a) The Netherlands.
(b) South Africa.
(c) Southern Europe.
(d) South America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irene is determined to keep her life
2. Where would Brian prefer to live?
3. Helga chooses to remain
4. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
5. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)