|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
2. Brian states that sex is a joke because
(a) His marriage is clearly unhappy.
(b) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(c) He likes off color jokes.
(d) He wants his son to think sex is funny.
3. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(b) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
(c) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
(d) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
4. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Clare tells her.
(b) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
(c) Her children tell her.
(d) Brian invited Clare to tea.
5. At the tea, Clare is
(b) Not herself.
(c) Lively and gregarious.
6. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Leave Pastor Green.
(c) Flee to Naxos.
(d) Re-commit to the church.
7. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
8. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
(a) In Chicago.
(b) To Harlem.
(c) In New York.
(d) In Brazil.
9. Brian would rather be living in
(a) Southern Europe.
(b) South America.
(c) The Netherlands.
(d) South Africa.
10. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She rejects Green's advances.
(b) She packs up to leave.
(c) She prays for redemption.
(d) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
11. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(b) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(c) Has no impact.
(d) Is extremely disturbing to him.
12. Irene allowing Clare into the private rooms of the house symbolizes
(a) Irene's wish that Clare will love her sons.
(b) Irene's desire to show Clare her wealth.
(c) Irene's invitation to invade her family.
(d) Irene allowing herself to be vulnerable.
13. When it comes to Clare's motives, Irene is
14. In this section, Clare is now
(a) A godparent to the children.
(b) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(c) Back with her husband.
(d) Sneaking about with Brian.
15. Irene Redfield does not
(a) Reveal to anyone that she is black.
(b) Does not tell her sons they are black.
(c) Try to pass as a white person.
(d) Discuss her skin color.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian demands that Irene not
2. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
3. Helga finds some satisfaction in
4. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
5. Why does Irene feel it unsafe for Clare to come back?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)