|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Exposes her violent nature.
(b) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(c) Indicates danger to the children.
(d) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
2. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(b) Has no impact.
(c) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(d) Is extremely disturbing to him.
3. Brian would rather be living in
(a) The Netherlands.
(b) South Africa.
(c) Southern Europe.
(d) South America.
4. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Leave Pastor Green.
(b) Commit suicide.
(c) Re-commit to the church.
(d) Flee to Naxos.
5. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Wild and carefree.
(b) Peaceful and serene.
(c) Orderly and managed.
(d) Spontaneous and fun.
6. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
(a) His increased satisfaction with his job.
(b) His newfound happiness in his marriage.
(c) His sense of guilt.
(d) His continued longing to be in South America.
7. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
(b) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(c) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
(d) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
8. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(a) Absolutely not.
(b) She is ambivalent.
(d) Perhaps, with conditions.
9. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Her children tell her.
(b) Clare tells her.
(c) Brian invited Clare to tea.
(d) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
10. When it comes to Clare's motives, Irene is
11. Why does Irene bring up Junior being exposed to sexually tinged jokes?
(a) To be suggestive about the subject.
(b) To cause a spark in him.
(c) To divert his attention from his unhappiness.
(d) To see if it will make him interested in her.
12. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
(a) Her affection.
(b) Her energy.
(c) Her selflessness.
(d) Her anger.
13. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Love her new child.
(b) Ask the right questions.
(c) Give birth.
(d) Pray properly.
14. Helga's most recent infant
(a) Is cared for by Pastor Green.
(b) Passed away after one week.
(c) Looks just like Helga.
(d) Was nursed by Clementine.
15. Where would Brian prefer to live?
(a) South America.
(c) South Africa.
(d) Southern Europe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Clare's father?
2. Irene Redfield does not
3. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
4. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
5. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)