|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irene has a bad moment during the social event wherein she
(a) Deliberately breaks a tea cup.
(b) Pushes Clare across the room.
(c) Screams at Brian.
(d) Throws a champagne bottle.
2. Irene privately considers what it would be like if
(a) Clare re-entered Harlem as a black woman.
(b) Clare took her sons.
(c) Clare should die.
(d) Brian and Clare eloped.
3. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
(b) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
(c) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(d) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
4. Helga finds some satisfaction in
(a) Living in poverty.
(b) Being a preacher's wife.
(c) Changing the women in the congregation.
(d) Living in the south.
5. What happened to Clare's father?
(a) He died from injuries in a fight.
(b) He died in a car accident.
(c) He left Clare when she was small.
(d) He was imprisoned.
6. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) It might serve as a warning to him.
(c) She is not sure why it happened.
(d) She thinks it is meaningless.
7. This chapter finds Brian Redfield
(a) Making home visits.
(c) Extremely joyous.
(d) Busy at home.
8. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Flee to Naxos.
(b) Leave Pastor Green.
(c) Re-commit to the church.
(d) Commit suicide.
9. In this section, Clare is now
(a) A godparent to the children.
(b) Sneaking about with Brian.
(c) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(d) Back with her husband.
10. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
11. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
(b) Preoccupied with her children.
(c) Unusually chatty.
(d) Her usual charming self.
12. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
(a) For reasons we do not yet know.
(b) Because she is so happy to be there.
(c) Because she knows she is leaving.
(d) Because she plans to hurt the children.
13. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
(a) Her affection.
(b) Her anger.
(c) Her selflessness.
(d) Her energy.
14. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She prays for redemption.
(b) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
(c) She rejects Green's advances.
(d) She packs up to leave.
15. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
(a) Naxos and its efforts.
(b) New York and its excitement.
(c) Hard work.
(d) The black southerners and their simplicity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian would rather be living in
2. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
3. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
4. Where would Brian prefer to live?
5. Brian's comments about sex being a joke indicate that
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)