|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
(a) Look black enough.
(b) Appreciate the worth of Pastor Green.
(c) Respect God.
(d) Understand goodness.
2. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A lion.
(b) A fox.
(c) A cougar.
(d) A cat.
3. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(b) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
(c) Exposes her violent nature.
(d) Indicates danger to the children.
4. Brian states that sex is a joke because
(a) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(b) His marriage is clearly unhappy.
(c) He likes off color jokes.
(d) He wants his son to think sex is funny.
5. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
6. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Preoccupied with her children.
(b) Her usual charming self.
(c) Unusually chatty.
(d) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
7. This chapter finds Brian Redfield
(a) Busy at home.
(c) Making home visits.
(d) Extremely joyous.
8. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
(a) Forced her to learn to cook.
(b) Tortured her with religion.
(c) Used her father against her.
(d) Made her care for them in their old age.
9. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
(a) She has found a career as a dancer.
(b) She has been seen with rich white men.
(c) She is a high fashion model in New York.
(d) She has been a housewife.
10. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
(b) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
(c) See her daughter in Switzerland.
(d) Get back into white society.
11. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Desperately wants to see her.
(b) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(c) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(d) Really does not want to see her.
12. Why does Irene bring up Junior being exposed to sexually tinged jokes?
(a) To be suggestive about the subject.
(b) To cause a spark in him.
(c) To see if it will make him interested in her.
(d) To divert his attention from his unhappiness.
13. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
(b) Clare tells her.
(c) Brian invited Clare to tea.
(d) Her children tell her.
14. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Offend Clare.
(b) Lose Brian.
(c) Walk in the snow.
(d) Lose Felise as a friend.
15. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
Short Answer Questions
1. Clare married her husband because
2. Irene privately considers what it would be like if
3. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
4. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
5. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)