|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the tea, Clare is
(a) Not herself.
(c) Lively and gregarious.
2. The teacup Irene destroys is
(a) A porcelain antique.
(b) An heirloom from Brian's family.
(c) A cheap reproduction.
3. John Bellew enters Felise's apartment in a state of
4. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
(b) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
(c) Claimed he had Negro blood.
(d) Asked Irene to leave.
5. What happened to Clare's father?
(a) He left Clare when she was small.
(b) He died in a car accident.
(c) He was imprisoned.
(d) He died from injuries in a fight.
6. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
(a) Her affection.
(b) Her selflessness.
(c) Her energy.
(d) Her anger.
7. Helga finds some satisfaction in
(a) Being a preacher's wife.
(b) Living in the south.
(c) Living in poverty.
(d) Changing the women in the congregation.
8. Brian would rather be living in
(a) Southern Europe.
(b) South Africa.
(c) The Netherlands.
(d) South America.
9. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
(a) Hard work.
(b) New York and its excitement.
(c) Naxos and its efforts.
(d) The black southerners and their simplicity.
10. Brian demands that Irene
(a) Stop talking to him.
(b) Not molly-coddle their son.
(c) Write back to Clare.
(d) Stop telling dirty jokes.
11. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(a) Perhaps, with conditions.
(b) Absolutely not.
(c) She is ambivalent.
12. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Wild and carefree.
(b) Peaceful and serene.
(c) Spontaneous and fun.
(d) Orderly and managed.
13. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
(a) Blissful motherhood.
14. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
(a) Appreciate the worth of Pastor Green.
(b) Understand goodness.
(c) Look black enough.
(d) Respect God.
15. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
(b) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
(c) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(d) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
2. Clare married her husband because
3. At all costs, Irene does not want to
4. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
5. Helga's most recent infant
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)