|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga chooses to remain
(a) Bedridden for as long as she can.
(b) In her unhappy situation.
(c) A servant of God.
(d) In Alabama with her beloved husband.
2. In this section, Clare is now
(a) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(b) Sneaking about with Brian.
(c) A godparent to the children.
(d) Back with her husband.
3. Brian demands that Irene not
(a) Talk to him so much.
(b) Molly-coddle their son.
(c) Divert him from complaining about his job.
(d) Talk of sex at the table.
4. Where would Brian prefer to live?
(a) South Africa.
(c) South America.
(d) Southern Europe.
5. The teacup Irene destroys is
(b) A porcelain antique.
(c) An heirloom from Brian's family.
(d) A cheap reproduction.
6. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
(a) She is trying to divert Brian's attention.
(b) She wants to punish Brian.
(c) She hopes it will spark some life in his eyes.
(d) She is being suggestive.
7. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Orderly and managed.
(b) Wild and carefree.
(c) Spontaneous and fun.
(d) Peaceful and serene.
8. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
(d) Blissful motherhood.
9. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
(b) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(c) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
(d) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
10. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
(a) Shame and sadness.
(b) Anger and humiliation.
(c) Love and longing.
(d) Old ties of friendship.
11. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
(a) Clare's standoffishness.
(b) Clare's having way.
(c) Clare's vulnerability.
(d) Clare's gregarious nature.
12. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
(a) Her energy.
(b) Her affection.
(c) Her anger.
(d) Her selflessness.
13. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
(a) She is not sure why it happened.
(b) She is embarrassed.
(c) It might serve as a warning to him.
(d) She thinks it is meaningless.
14. Irene allowing Clare into the private rooms of the house symbolizes
(a) Irene's wish that Clare will love her sons.
(b) Irene's desire to show Clare her wealth.
(c) Irene's invitation to invade her family.
(d) Irene allowing herself to be vulnerable.
15. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
(b) She packs up to leave.
(c) She prays for redemption.
(d) She rejects Green's advances.
Short Answer Questions
1. At all costs, Irene does not want to
2. Helga's most recent infant
3. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
4. Irene Redfield does not
5. Helga finds some satisfaction in
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)