|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brian demands that Irene
(a) Stop telling dirty jokes.
(b) Write back to Clare.
(c) Not molly-coddle their son.
(d) Stop talking to him.
2. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A cat.
(b) A lion.
(c) A cougar.
(d) A fox.
3. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
(a) It shows Clare's devious nature.
(b) It implies that Clare is being sarcastic.
(c) She is hiding her real address.
(d) It implies Clare thinks Irene would be indiscreet.
4. For more than a week, Helga remains in a state of
(b) Blissful motherhood.
5. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Ask the right questions.
(b) Give birth.
(c) Love her new child.
(d) Pray properly.
6. At the tea, Clare is
(b) Not herself.
(d) Lively and gregarious.
7. Irene Redfield does not
(a) Try to pass as a white person.
(b) Does not tell her sons they are black.
(c) Discuss her skin color.
(d) Reveal to anyone that she is black.
8. Clare married her husband because
(a) She wanted a banker.
(b) She loves him.
(c) He has money.
(d) She wanted children.
9. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
(a) Forced her to learn to cook.
(b) Tortured her with religion.
(c) Used her father against her.
(d) Made her care for them in their old age.
10. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Lose Felise as a friend.
(b) Lose Brian.
(c) Offend Clare.
(d) Walk in the snow.
11. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Really does not want to see her.
(b) Desperately wants to see her.
(c) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(d) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
12. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
(a) The black southerners and their simplicity.
(b) Hard work.
(c) Naxos and its efforts.
(d) New York and its excitement.
13. Brian's comments about sex being a joke indicate that
(a) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(b) He sees the humor in the jokes.
(c) He and Irene don't have much of a sex life.
(d) He is happy with his marriage.
14. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
(b) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
(c) Claimed he had Negro blood.
(d) Asked Irene to leave.
15. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
(b) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(c) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
(d) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
2. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
3. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
4. Why does Irene feel it unsafe for Clare to come back?
5. Brian states that sex is a joke because
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)