|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Ask the right questions.
(b) Give birth.
(c) Pray properly.
(d) Love her new child.
2. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
(a) She is wealthy.
(b) She is feminine.
(c) She is plain.
(d) She is beautiful.
3. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(b) Exposes her violent nature.
(c) Indicates danger to the children.
(d) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
4. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(b) She is ambivalent.
(c) Perhaps, with conditions.
(d) Absolutely not.
5. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
(a) She will despise her solitude.
(b) She will be free to live in Harlem.
(c) She can give up mothering.
(d) She can travel more.
6. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Re-commit to the church.
(c) Leave Pastor Green.
(d) Flee to Naxos.
7. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
(b) She packs up to leave.
(c) She prays for redemption.
(d) She rejects Green's advances.
8. Helga chooses to remain
(a) In Alabama with her beloved husband.
(b) In her unhappy situation.
(c) Bedridden for as long as she can.
(d) A servant of God.
9. This chapter finds Brian Redfield
(a) Making home visits.
(c) Busy at home.
(d) Extremely joyous.
10. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
(a) Old ties of friendship.
(b) Love and longing.
(c) Anger and humiliation.
(d) Shame and sadness.
11. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Preoccupied with her children.
(b) Her usual charming self.
(c) Unusually chatty.
(d) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
12. Why does Irene feel it unsafe for Clare to come back?
(a) She could be assaulted.
(b) She could be mistaken for someone else.
(c) Her husband and child could find out.
(d) Her picture could end up in the papers.
13. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
(a) It implies Clare thinks Irene would be indiscreet.
(b) It implies that Clare is being sarcastic.
(c) It shows Clare's devious nature.
(d) She is hiding her real address.
14. Clare is very
(a) Generous and gregarious.
(b) Threatening and belligerent.
(c) Self-focused and manipulative.
(d) Maternal and kind.
15. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Has no impact.
(b) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(c) Is extremely disturbing to him.
(d) Makes her nervous and frightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
2. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
3. Brian demands that Irene
4. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
5. When Brian tries to talk to his sons about racism, Irene
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)