|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
(b) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(c) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
(d) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
2. Brian states that sex is a joke because
(a) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(b) He likes off color jokes.
(c) His marriage is clearly unhappy.
(d) He wants his son to think sex is funny.
3. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Is extremely disturbing to him.
(b) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(c) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(d) Has no impact.
4. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
(a) Anger and humiliation.
(b) Old ties of friendship.
(c) Love and longing.
(d) Shame and sadness.
5. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
(a) Forced her to learn to cook.
(b) Made her care for them in their old age.
(c) Tortured her with religion.
(d) Used her father against her.
6. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
7. The time spent without Clare in the picture
(a) Does not clear up Irene's suspicions.
(b) Is a great comfort to Irene.
(c) Solidifies her certainty of their affair.
(d) Brings Brian's affection back to Irene.
8. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
(a) She is plain.
(b) She is beautiful.
(c) She is feminine.
(d) She is wealthy.
9. Clare married her husband because
(a) She loves him.
(b) He has money.
(c) She wanted children.
(d) She wanted a banker.
10. In this section, Clare is now
(a) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(b) Sneaking about with Brian.
(c) A godparent to the children.
(d) Back with her husband.
11. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Leave Pastor Green.
(c) Flee to Naxos.
(d) Re-commit to the church.
12. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
(a) Appreciate the worth of Pastor Green.
(b) Look black enough.
(c) Respect God.
(d) Understand goodness.
13. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) See her daughter in Switzerland.
(b) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
(c) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
(d) Get back into white society.
14. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Spontaneous and fun.
(b) Orderly and managed.
(c) Peaceful and serene.
(d) Wild and carefree.
15. Helga finds some satisfaction in
(a) Being a preacher's wife.
(b) Living in poverty.
(c) Changing the women in the congregation.
(d) Living in the south.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
2. In her illness, Helga is unable to
3. Helga has developed a new appreciation for
4. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
5. Irene has a bad moment during the social event wherein she
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)