|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
(a) In New York.
(b) To Harlem.
(c) In Chicago.
(d) In Brazil.
2. The time spent without Clare in the picture
(a) Solidifies her certainty of their affair.
(b) Is a great comfort to Irene.
(c) Does not clear up Irene's suspicions.
(d) Brings Brian's affection back to Irene.
3. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Desperately wants to see her.
(b) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(c) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(d) Really does not want to see her.
4. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Leave Pastor Green.
(b) Flee to Naxos.
(c) Re-commit to the church.
(d) Commit suicide.
5. Helga chooses to remain
(a) In her unhappy situation.
(b) In Alabama with her beloved husband.
(c) Bedridden for as long as she can.
(d) A servant of God.
6. When it comes to Clare's motives, Irene is
7. Clare married her husband because
(a) She loves him.
(b) He has money.
(c) She wanted children.
(d) She wanted a banker.
8. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
(a) Old ties of friendship.
(b) Anger and humiliation.
(c) Love and longing.
(d) Shame and sadness.
9. This chapter finds Brian Redfield
(a) Busy at home.
(b) Making home visits.
(c) Extremely joyous.
10. What happened to Clare's father?
(a) He died in a car accident.
(b) He died from injuries in a fight.
(c) He left Clare when she was small.
(d) He was imprisoned.
11. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
(a) She is being suggestive.
(b) She is trying to divert Brian's attention.
(c) She wants to punish Brian.
(d) She hopes it will spark some life in his eyes.
12. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(a) She is ambivalent.
(b) Absolutely not.
(d) Perhaps, with conditions.
13. Irene has a bad moment during the social event wherein she
(a) Pushes Clare across the room.
(b) Deliberately breaks a tea cup.
(c) Screams at Brian.
(d) Throws a champagne bottle.
14. Irene Redfield does not
(a) Does not tell her sons they are black.
(b) Try to pass as a white person.
(c) Discuss her skin color.
(d) Reveal to anyone that she is black.
15. Brian demands that Irene
(a) Stop talking to him.
(b) Stop telling dirty jokes.
(c) Write back to Clare.
(d) Not molly-coddle their son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Irene is determined to keep her life
2. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
3. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
4. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
5. Brian demands that Irene not
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)