|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
(b) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(c) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
(d) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
2. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
(a) Clare's standoffishness.
(b) Clare's vulnerability.
(c) Clare's gregarious nature.
(d) Clare's having way.
3. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(b) Really does not want to see her.
(c) Desperately wants to see her.
(d) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
4. Brian demands that Irene not
(a) Talk to him so much.
(b) Talk of sex at the table.
(c) Divert him from complaining about his job.
(d) Molly-coddle their son.
5. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
(a) She is wealthy.
(b) She is plain.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is feminine.
6. What happened to Clare's father?
(a) He was imprisoned.
(b) He died in a car accident.
(c) He left Clare when she was small.
(d) He died from injuries in a fight.
7. This chapter finds Brian Redfield
(a) Extremely joyous.
(c) Making home visits.
(d) Busy at home.
8. Helga chooses to remain
(a) In her unhappy situation.
(b) A servant of God.
(c) Bedridden for as long as she can.
(d) In Alabama with her beloved husband.
9. Helga's most recent infant
(a) Passed away after one week.
(b) Was nursed by Clementine.
(c) Is cared for by Pastor Green.
(d) Looks just like Helga.
10. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
11. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Her usual charming self.
(b) Preoccupied with her children.
(c) Unusually chatty.
(d) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
12. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
(a) She can travel more.
(b) She will despise her solitude.
(c) She can give up mothering.
(d) She will be free to live in Harlem.
13. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Offend Clare.
(b) Lose Felise as a friend.
(c) Walk in the snow.
(d) Lose Brian.
14. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Ask the right questions.
(b) Pray properly.
(c) Love her new child.
(d) Give birth.
15. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian would rather be living in
2. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
3. Brian demands that Irene
4. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
5. Where would Brian prefer to live?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)