|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
(a) She can give up mothering.
(b) She can travel more.
(c) She will despise her solitude.
(d) She will be free to live in Harlem.
2. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Desperately wants to see her.
(b) Hopes Clare will come soon.
(c) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(d) Really does not want to see her.
3. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
(b) Clare tells her.
(c) Her children tell her.
(d) Brian invited Clare to tea.
4. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Walk in the snow.
(b) Offend Clare.
(c) Lose Brian.
(d) Lose Felise as a friend.
5. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
(a) Clare's gregarious nature.
(b) Clare's having way.
(c) Clare's standoffishness.
(d) Clare's vulnerability.
6. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A cougar.
(b) A lion.
(c) A cat.
(d) A fox.
7. Helga marries Pleasant Green and moves to
8. Clare married her husband because
(a) She wanted a banker.
(b) She wanted children.
(c) He has money.
(d) She loves him.
9. Irene Redfield does not
(a) Reveal to anyone that she is black.
(b) Discuss her skin color.
(c) Does not tell her sons they are black.
(d) Try to pass as a white person.
10. At the tea, Clare is
(b) Lively and gregarious.
(d) Not herself.
11. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
(a) In Brazil.
(b) To Harlem.
(c) In Chicago.
(d) In New York.
12. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
(a) She has found a career as a dancer.
(b) She has been a housewife.
(c) She has been seen with rich white men.
(d) She is a high fashion model in New York.
13. As to Clare's motives, Irene is
14. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Exposes her violent nature.
(b) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
(c) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(d) Indicates danger to the children.
15. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
(b) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
(c) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(d) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the tea, Irene is
2. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
3. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
4. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
5. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)