|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Leave Pastor Green.
(b) Re-commit to the church.
(c) Flee to Naxos.
(d) Commit suicide.
2. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
(a) It might serve as a warning to him.
(b) She thinks it is meaningless.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is not sure why it happened.
3. Clare married her husband because
(a) She loves him.
(b) He has money.
(c) She wanted a banker.
(d) She wanted children.
4. Irene allowing Clare into the private rooms of the house symbolizes
(a) Irene's invitation to invade her family.
(b) Irene's wish that Clare will love her sons.
(c) Irene allowing herself to be vulnerable.
(d) Irene's desire to show Clare her wealth.
5. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A lion.
(b) A fox.
(c) A cat.
(d) A cougar.
6. Brian states that sex is a joke because
(a) He wants his son to think sex is funny.
(b) He likes off color jokes.
(c) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(d) His marriage is clearly unhappy.
7. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(a) Perhaps, with conditions.
(b) Absolutely not.
(d) She is ambivalent.
8. Why does Irene bring up Junior being exposed to sexually tinged jokes?
(a) To cause a spark in him.
(b) To divert his attention from his unhappiness.
(c) To be suggestive about the subject.
(d) To see if it will make him interested in her.
9. Clare cries at the end of Chapter 4
(a) Because she is so happy to be there.
(b) For reasons we do not yet know.
(c) Because she plans to hurt the children.
(d) Because she knows she is leaving.
10. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
(b) Get back into white society.
(c) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
(d) See her daughter in Switzerland.
11. Why does Irene feel it unsafe for Clare to come back?
(a) Her husband and child could find out.
(b) She could be mistaken for someone else.
(c) Her picture could end up in the papers.
(d) She could be assaulted.
12. Brian would rather be living in
(a) Southern Europe.
(b) The Netherlands.
(c) South America.
(d) South Africa.
13. In this section, Clare is now
(a) A godparent to the children.
(b) Sneaking about with Brian.
(c) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(d) Back with her husband.
14. When it comes to Clare's motives, Irene is
15. Helga chooses to remain
(a) Bedridden for as long as she can.
(b) A servant of God.
(c) In Alabama with her beloved husband.
(d) In her unhappy situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
2. Helga finds some satisfaction in
3. Helga's most recent infant
4. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
5. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)