|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Irene feel it unsafe for Clare to come back?
(a) She could be mistaken for someone else.
(b) Her picture could end up in the papers.
(c) Her husband and child could find out.
(d) She could be assaulted.
2. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) She is not sure why it happened.
(c) It might serve as a warning to him.
(d) She thinks it is meaningless.
3. In this section, Clare is now
(a) A godparent to the children.
(b) Sneaking about with Brian.
(c) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(d) Back with her husband.
4. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A fox.
(b) A cougar.
(c) A lion.
(d) A cat.
5. Helga's most recent infant
(a) Was nursed by Clementine.
(b) Looks just like Helga.
(c) Passed away after one week.
(d) Is cared for by Pastor Green.
6. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Orderly and managed.
(b) Peaceful and serene.
(c) Spontaneous and fun.
(d) Wild and carefree.
7. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
(a) She is a high fashion model in New York.
(b) She has found a career as a dancer.
(c) She has been seen with rich white men.
(d) She has been a housewife.
8. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
(a) Because he wants to see black people.
(b) Because he is self-righteous.
(c) Because he is a voyeur.
(d) Because he is attracted to black women.
9. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
(a) Really does not want to see her.
(b) Desperately wants to see her.
(c) Wants to rekindle their friendship.
(d) Hopes Clare will come soon.
10. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is wealthy.
(c) She is plain.
(d) She is feminine.
11. Clare is upset that she will have to leave New York to
(a) Rejoin her husband in Switzerland.
(b) Retrieve her daughter from Switzerland.
(c) Get back into white society.
(d) See her daughter in Switzerland.
12. Brian demands that Irene
(a) Stop telling dirty jokes.
(b) Write back to Clare.
(c) Stop talking to him.
(d) Not molly-coddle their son.
13. The teacup Irene destroys is
(b) An heirloom from Brian's family.
(c) A cheap reproduction.
(d) A porcelain antique.
14. Why does Irene bring up Junior being exposed to sexually tinged jokes?
(a) To be suggestive about the subject.
(b) To see if it will make him interested in her.
(c) To cause a spark in him.
(d) To divert his attention from his unhappiness.
15. When Brian tries to talk to his sons about racism, Irene
(a) Encourages him.
(b) Contradicts him.
(c) Speaks for him.
(d) Admonishes him.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Bellew enters Felise's apartment in a state of
2. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
3. Helga chooses to remain
4. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
5. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)