|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(b) Has no impact.
(c) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(d) Is extremely disturbing to him.
2. Brian states that sex is a joke because
(a) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(b) He wants his son to think sex is funny.
(c) His marriage is clearly unhappy.
(d) He likes off color jokes.
3. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Ask the right questions.
(b) Love her new child.
(c) Pray properly.
(d) Give birth.
4. Clare's admission that she is lacking in morals
(a) Makes Irene feel sorry for her.
(b) Makes Irene want her away from the children.
(c) Foreshadows her affair with Brian.
(d) Is just Clare being manipulative again.
5. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
(b) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
(c) Claimed he had Negro blood.
(d) Asked Irene to leave.
6. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Peaceful and serene.
(b) Wild and carefree.
(c) Spontaneous and fun.
(d) Orderly and managed.
7. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
(a) Understand goodness.
(b) Respect God.
(c) Look black enough.
(d) Appreciate the worth of Pastor Green.
8. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Her children tell her.
(b) Clare tells her.
(c) Brian invited Clare to tea.
(d) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
9. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
(a) Does not tell him Clare is black.
(b) Complains about Brian.
(c) Is embarrassed about bringing Clare.
(d) Discloses all she knows about Clare.
10. Brian demands that Irene
(a) Not molly-coddle their son.
(b) Stop telling dirty jokes.
(c) Stop talking to him.
(d) Write back to Clare.
11. Helga chooses to remain
(a) Bedridden for as long as she can.
(b) In her unhappy situation.
(c) A servant of God.
(d) In Alabama with her beloved husband.
12. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(b) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
(c) Indicates danger to the children.
(d) Exposes her violent nature.
13. Irene privately considers what it would be like if
(a) Clare re-entered Harlem as a black woman.
(b) Brian and Clare eloped.
(c) Clare should die.
(d) Clare took her sons.
14. Clare now sees that if her marriage breaks,
(a) She can travel more.
(b) She will despise her solitude.
(c) She can give up mothering.
(d) She will be free to live in Harlem.
15. When it comes to Clare's motives, Irene is
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
2. In this section, Clare is now
3. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
4. Helga's most recent infant
5. John Bellew enters Felise's apartment in a state of
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)