|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal image comes to Irene's mind when considering Clare?
(a) A cat.
(b) A cougar.
(c) A lion.
(d) A fox.
2. When it comes to Clare's motives, Irene is
3. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Preoccupied with her children.
(b) Unusually chatty.
(c) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
(d) Her usual charming self.
4. In this section, Clare is now
(a) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(b) A godparent to the children.
(c) Back with her husband.
(d) Sneaking about with Brian.
5. Brian demands that Irene
(a) Write back to Clare.
(b) Stop talking to him.
(c) Not molly-coddle their son.
(d) Stop telling dirty jokes.
6. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
(a) It implies that Clare is being sarcastic.
(b) It shows Clare's devious nature.
(c) She is hiding her real address.
(d) It implies Clare thinks Irene would be indiscreet.
7. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Brian invited Clare to tea.
(b) Clare tells her.
(c) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
(d) Her children tell her.
8. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She rejects Green's advances.
(b) She packs up to leave.
(c) She prays for redemption.
(d) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
9. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
(a) She is wealthy.
(b) She is feminine.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is plain.
10. Helga makes the decision while she is still bedridden to
(a) Re-commit to the church.
(b) Leave Pastor Green.
(c) Flee to Naxos.
(d) Commit suicide.
11. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
(a) Clare's standoffishness.
(b) Clare's gregarious nature.
(c) Clare's having way.
(d) Clare's vulnerability.
12. Irene privately considers what it would be like if
(a) Brian and Clare eloped.
(b) Clare re-entered Harlem as a black woman.
(c) Clare took her sons.
(d) Clare should die.
13. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
(a) Used her father against her.
(b) Tortured her with religion.
(c) Made her care for them in their old age.
(d) Forced her to learn to cook.
14. When Brian tries to talk to his sons about racism, Irene
(a) Contradicts him.
(b) Speaks for him.
(c) Encourages him.
(d) Admonishes him.
15. Helga grows tired and ill from
(a) Bad food.
(b) Gossip and loneliness.
(c) The dirt and squalor.
(d) Continuous child bearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
2. What happened to Clare's father?
3. At all costs, Irene does not want to
4. Green's bad habits are outweighed by his
5. Irene's response to Clare's letter is that she
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)