|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga grows tired and ill from
(a) Continuous child bearing.
(b) Bad food.
(c) The dirt and squalor.
(d) Gossip and loneliness.
2. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
(a) Does not tell him Clare is black.
(b) Discloses all she knows about Clare.
(c) Complains about Brian.
(d) Is embarrassed about bringing Clare.
3. What has Irene heard about Clare since they were young?
(a) She has been a housewife.
(b) She is a high fashion model in New York.
(c) She has been seen with rich white men.
(d) She has found a career as a dancer.
4. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
5. When Clare mentions she would do anything to get what she wants, it
(a) Was meant to alert Brian of her intentions.
(b) Should have been a clue for Irene.
(c) Indicates danger to the children.
(d) Exposes her violent nature.
6. Helga finds some satisfaction in
(a) Being a preacher's wife.
(b) Living in poverty.
(c) Living in the south.
(d) Changing the women in the congregation.
7. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
(a) She wants to punish Brian.
(b) She is being suggestive.
(c) She hopes it will spark some life in his eyes.
(d) She is trying to divert Brian's attention.
8. How does Irene conclude that Brian and Clare are having an affair?
(a) Hugh Wentworth tells her.
(b) Brian invited Clare to tea.
(c) Clare tells her.
(d) Her children tell her.
9. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
(b) Her usual charming self.
(c) Preoccupied with her children.
(d) Unusually chatty.
10. At the tea, Clare is
(b) Lively and gregarious.
(c) Not herself.
11. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
(a) They pay Clare for housekeeping.
(b) They find Clare to be a good dancer.
(c) They are paying a good price for Clare's company.
(d) They find Clare to be a hard worker.
12. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
(a) Because he is attracted to black women.
(b) Because he is self-righteous.
(c) Because he is a voyeur.
(d) Because he wants to see black people.
13. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(b) Is extremely disturbing to him.
(c) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(d) Has no impact.
14. What feelings come up for Irene when remembering her visit with Clare in Chicago
(a) Love and longing.
(b) Anger and humiliation.
(c) Old ties of friendship.
(d) Shame and sadness.
15. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Love her new child.
(b) Give birth.
(c) Ask the right questions.
(d) Pray properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clare falls from the window, Irene cries with
2. Helga chooses to remain
3. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
4. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
5. When it comes to Clare's motives, Irene is
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)