|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Irene want Clare in her life again?
(a) Absolutely not.
(b) Perhaps, with conditions.
(d) She is ambivalent.
2. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
(a) Her anger.
(b) Her selflessness.
(c) Her affection.
(d) Her energy.
3. In her illness, Helga is unable to
(a) Love her new child.
(b) Pray properly.
(c) Give birth.
(d) Ask the right questions.
4. When Brian tries to talk to his sons about racism, Irene
(a) Admonishes him.
(b) Contradicts him.
(c) Speaks for him.
(d) Encourages him.
5. In this section, Clare is now
(a) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(b) Sneaking about with Brian.
(c) A godparent to the children.
(d) Back with her husband.
6. At all costs, Irene does not want to
(a) Lose Brian.
(b) Walk in the snow.
(c) Lose Felise as a friend.
(d) Offend Clare.
7. Brian demands that Irene not
(a) Talk to him so much.
(b) Talk of sex at the table.
(c) Molly-coddle their son.
(d) Divert him from complaining about his job.
8. What is the trait of Clare's that gossipers have mentioned to Irene?
(a) Clare's gregarious nature.
(b) Clare's having way.
(c) Clare's standoffishness.
(d) Clare's vulnerability.
9. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
(a) Because he is a voyeur.
(b) Because he is self-righteous.
(c) Because he is attracted to black women.
(d) Because he wants to see black people.
10. Why does Irene bring up Junior being exposed to sexually tinged jokes?
(a) To be suggestive about the subject.
(b) To see if it will make him interested in her.
(c) To cause a spark in him.
(d) To divert his attention from his unhappiness.
11. Irene is determined to keep her life
(a) Spontaneous and fun.
(b) Peaceful and serene.
(c) Orderly and managed.
(d) Wild and carefree.
12. At the Redfields' private dinner table, Clare is
13. Why does Irene feel it unsafe for Clare to come back?
(a) She could be assaulted.
(b) Her picture could end up in the papers.
(c) Her husband and child could find out.
(d) She could be mistaken for someone else.
14. Why does Irene bring up Junior's exposure to sexually tainted jokes?
(a) She wants to punish Brian.
(b) She is being suggestive.
(c) She hopes it will spark some life in his eyes.
(d) She is trying to divert Brian's attention.
15. Brian states that sex is a joke because
(a) He thinks sex is hilarious.
(b) He wants his son to think sex is funny.
(c) His marriage is clearly unhappy.
(d) He likes off color jokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga finds some satisfaction in
2. Clare is very
3. John Bellew enters Felise's apartment in a state of
4. Where would Brian prefer to live?
5. Brian's comments about sex being a joke indicate that
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)