|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Irene knows that she and Brian and their children belong
(a) In Brazil.
(b) In Chicago.
(c) To Harlem.
(d) In New York.
2. What is a personality trait of Clare's that stands out in Irene's mind?
(a) Her energy.
(b) Her selflessness.
(c) Her anger.
(d) Her affection.
3. What did Clare's aunts do to her?
(a) Tortured her with religion.
(b) Used her father against her.
(c) Made her care for them in their old age.
(d) Forced her to learn to cook.
4. Green's bad habits are outweighed by his
(a) Devotion to her.
(b) Long sermons.
(c) Good looks.
(d) Goodness and holiness.
5. Irene's encounter with John Bellew
(a) Makes her nervous and frightened.
(b) Has no impact.
(c) Gives Irene a sense of foreboding.
(d) Is extremely disturbing to him.
6. In this section, Clare is now
(a) A godparent to the children.
(b) Staying in Irene's extra room.
(c) Back with her husband.
(d) Sneaking about with Brian.
7. Why is Irene offended by Clare's use of a PO Box for a return address?
(a) She is hiding her real address.
(b) It implies Clare thinks Irene would be indiscreet.
(c) It implies that Clare is being sarcastic.
(d) It shows Clare's devious nature.
8. Brian demands that Irene not
(a) Talk to him so much.
(b) Divert him from complaining about his job.
(c) Talk of sex at the table.
(d) Molly-coddle their son.
9. At the tea, Irene is
(a) Unusually chatty.
(b) Her usual charming self.
(c) Clearly tired of Hugh Wentworth.
(d) Preoccupied with her children.
10. What does Clare's stationery say about her?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is feminine.
(c) She is wealthy.
(d) She is plain.
11. Clementine Richards thinks Helga does not
(a) Appreciate the worth of Pastor Green.
(b) Understand goodness.
(c) Respect God.
(d) Look black enough.
12. Why does Irene think Hugh Wentworth wants to come to Negro events?
(a) Because he wants to see black people.
(b) Because he is a voyeur.
(c) Because he is attracted to black women.
(d) Because he is self-righteous.
13. In Chicago, Clare's husband
(a) Claimed he had Negro blood.
(b) Spoke of his unconditional love for people.
(c) Denegrated and insulted the black race.
(d) Asked Irene to leave.
14. Soon after Helga is well enough to be out of bed
(a) She rejects Green's advances.
(b) She packs up to leave.
(c) She begins to give birth to her fifth child.
(d) She prays for redemption.
15. Irene attributes Brian's complete withdrawal to
(a) His continued longing to be in South America.
(b) His newfound happiness in his marriage.
(c) His sense of guilt.
(d) His increased satisfaction with his job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Brian would rather be living in
2. What is the implication that surrounds Clare's rich white male companions?
3. Brian demands that Irene
4. Whrn speaking with Hugh Wentworth at the dance, Irene
5. Irene does not tell Brian about bumping into Bellew because
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)