|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Margaret Creighton is
(a) Afraid Helga might be ill.
(b) Concerned for Helga's career.
(c) A lost soul.
(d) Worried about losing her job.
2. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Teach small children.
(b) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(c) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(d) Clean a large, beautiful home.
3. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is determined.
(c) She is ashamed.
(d) She wants her to disappear.
4. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
(a) Dullness and aversion.
(b) A stronger sense of her self.
(c) Anxiety and tension.
(d) A more secure outlook.
5. Prior to Olsen's proposal, Helga had planned to
(a) Begin a new relationship with Herr Dahl.
(b) Turn her attention to another man.
(c) Date within her own race.
(d) Steal Dr. Anderson from Anne.
6. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
(a) His noble personality.
(b) Disrespect for Helga and her race.
(c) His true intentions of marrying Fru Dahl.
(d) His artistic finesse.
7. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Needs more makeup.
(b) Needs a better hairdo.
(c) Needs higher heels.
(d) Must have earrings.
8. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Tries too hard.
(b) Is too persistent.
(c) Has no references.
(d) Knows no one in Chicago.
9. Helga remembers her mother being
10. Helga tells her story to Mrs. Hayes-Rore who
(a) Admonishes her for sharing.
(b) Reacts with anger toward her.
(c) Feels only sympathy for her.
(d) Seems to withdraw from her.
11. Helga could never marry
(a) An artist.
(b) A black man.
(c) A white man.
(d) A Dane.
12. Katrina would like Helga to
(a) Make more friends.
(b) Be less flambouyant.
(c) Stay with her forever.
(d) Be attracted to Axel Olsen.
13. For her departure from Denmark, Helga now blames
(a) Axel Olsen.
(d) Herr Poul.
14. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
(a) She knows she is taking advantage of Anne.
(b) She plans to abscond with Anne's fortune.
(c) Anne thinks Helga's mother just recently died.
(d) She has taken money from Hayes-Rore.
15. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
(a) A waste of time.
(b) A tragedy.
(c) Totally expected.
(d) Comic relief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga thinks she has now
2. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
3. Helga projects a sense of
4. Helga's false pride masks her
5. The remade green velvet dress
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)