|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the bottom of Helga's angst may be the fact that
(a) She has abandoned her family.
(b) She has a better place in society.
(c) Her family was wealthy at one time.
(d) She comes from questionable circumstances.
2. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) An insurance firm.
(b) A retail store.
(c) A factory.
(d) A law firm.
3. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
(a) Make her want to serve her race.
(b) Excite her.
(c) Make her irritable.
(d) Bore and exasperate her.
4. Anne does not know that Helga
(a) Dislikes her.
(b) Is planning to leave for Denmark.
(c) Is angry about the Audrey Denny comments.
(d) Is hoping Anne will like Dr. Anderson.
5. Helga projects a sense of
6. The dress Helga chooses to wear to Anne's homecoming party represents
(a) Her need to be recognized as different.
(b) Her preference for the black race.
(c) Her impending flight.
(d) Her status as a socialite.
7. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not very smart.
(b) She was fair-skinned.
(c) She was not good looking.
(d) Her attitude was superior.
8. Helga could never marry
(a) A Dane.
(b) A black man.
(c) A white man.
(d) An artist.
9. Margaret Creighton is
(a) Worried about losing her job.
(b) Concerned for Helga's career.
(c) A lost soul.
(d) Afraid Helga might be ill.
10. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
(a) Her career goals.
(b) Her simple life in Chicago.
(c) Robert Anderson.
(d) Her wish to stay with Anne.
11. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Knows no one in Chicago.
(b) Has no references.
(c) Is too persistent.
(d) Tries too hard.
12. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
13. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be black.
(b) Will be attractive.
(c) Will not accept her.
(d) Will be like Uncle Peter.
14. The furnishings in Anne Grey's home
(a) Appeal to Helga's sense of aesthetics.
(b) Have been bought from museums.
(c) Are old and dusty.
(d) Are too modern for her home.
15. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
(a) Is a well-known gossip.
(b) Has assimilated into the school's culture.
(c) Is a rebel and a loner.
(d) Has dishonorable intentions.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Vayle is clearly
2. The staging of Helga by her aunt and uncle make Helga feel like
3. The painter, Herr Olsen, finds Helga's looks to be
4. What Helga respects in Audrey is
5. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)