|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
(a) Anxiety and tension.
(b) Dullness and aversion.
(c) A stronger sense of her self.
(d) A more secure outlook.
2. What effect did Uncle Peter's check have on Helga?
(a) She remembers that she likes being white.
(b) She begins to miss her mother.
(c) She feels guilty or causing Peter such trouble.
(d) She realizes she has felt yoked to her race.
3. Helga found her job with the help of
(a) Mrs. Haye-Rore.
(b) A teacher in downtown Chicago.
(c) A small personnel agency.
(d) The local YWCA.
4. Helga is sure that James Vayle's family
(a) Is warm and inviting.
(b) Wishes she would marry him.
(c) Disapproves of her.
(d) Is spiteful and petty.
5. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
(a) Make her irritable.
(b) Bore and exasperate her.
(c) Excite her.
(d) Make her want to serve her race.
6. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Clean a large, beautiful home.
(b) Teach small children.
(c) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(d) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
7. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not very smart.
(b) She was not good looking.
(c) Her attitude was superior.
(d) She was fair-skinned.
8. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Needs higher heels.
(b) Needs more makeup.
(c) Must have earrings.
(d) Needs a better hairdo.
9. The portrait Olsen has painted of Helga is
(a) Exact and lifelike.
(b) A mocking likeness.
(c) Exotic and wild.
(d) Demure and soft.
10. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
(a) Anne thinks Helga's mother just recently died.
(b) She has taken money from Hayes-Rore.
(c) She plans to abscond with Anne's fortune.
(d) She knows she is taking advantage of Anne.
11. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
12. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She wants her to disappear.
(b) She is determined.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is ashamed.
13. The painter, Herr Olsen, finds Helga's looks to be
(a) Amazing and marvelous.
(b) Somewhat sleazy.
(c) Unusual and fearsome.
(d) Odd and almost frightening.
14. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
(a) She is ashamed of herself for resigning.
(b) She feels she told half-truths.
(c) She wanted to stay.
(d) She feels she confided too much to him.
15. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
(a) Mild interest.
(b) Cynicism and disgust.
(c) Energized enthusiasm.
(d) Irritable disrespect.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is possible that Helga Crane is
2. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
3. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
4. Her deepest regret over the incident with Anderson is
5. Helga has trouble finding work because she
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)