|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The portrait Olsen has painted of Helga is
(a) A mocking likeness.
(b) Demure and soft.
(c) Exotic and wild.
(d) Exact and lifelike.
2. James Vayle is clearly
(a) A negotiator.
(b) A frightened man.
(c) Still in love with Helga.
(d) A loser in Harlem.
3. Helga remembers her mother being
4. Helga Crane loves
(a) Being black and educated.
(c) Classical music.
(d) Beauty and beautiful things.
5. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Clean a large, beautiful home.
(b) Teach small children.
(c) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(d) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
6. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
(a) Stay on in Naxos and date him.
(b) Marry James Vayle and have children.
(c) Take another position on the faculty.
(d) Stay on and try to fix the problems at the school.
7. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Glad that he has rejected her.
(b) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
(c) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(d) Realize that she does not like him.
8. Helga feels the school's intention is to
(a) Pave the way for college students.
(b) Turn black children into white children.
(c) Teach the children arts and crafts.
(d) Preserve the Negro culture.
9. In the sophisticated crowd, James Vayle seems
(a) Like a country boy.
(b) Silly and under-dressed.
(c) Young and innocent.
(d) Highly principled.
10. Helga is tired of black people
(a) Wanting to be white.
(b) Being walked on by whites.
(c) Sticking together.
(d) Denigrating white people.
11. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
(b) The idea of of singing.
(c) The flu.
12. Helga found her job with the help of
(a) Mrs. Haye-Rore.
(b) A teacher in downtown Chicago.
(c) The local YWCA.
(d) A small personnel agency.
13. Helga feels that at Naxos she is
(c) A real success.
(d) Well thought of.
14. How did Helga's mother lift herself out of her bad situation?
(a) She stopped having children.
(b) She proclaimed her Danish heritage.
(c) She moved to Denmark.
(d) She married a white man.
15. Helga projects a sense of
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga has trouble finding work because she
2. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
3. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
4. Helga is disturbed by her euphoric feelings from the music, telling herself
5. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)