|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga remembers her mother being
2. At the bottom of Helga's angst may be the fact that
(a) She has a better place in society.
(b) She comes from questionable circumstances.
(c) She has abandoned her family.
(d) Her family was wealthy at one time.
3. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
(a) She wanted to stay.
(b) She is ashamed of herself for resigning.
(c) She feels she told half-truths.
(d) She feels she confided too much to him.
4. As Helga watches the dancers, she sees
(a) Gradations of color in the Negro race.
(b) A blurr of color and light.
(c) The beauty of her race.
(d) The absurdity of her situation.
5. Helga is tired of black people
(a) Sticking together.
(b) Denigrating white people.
(c) Being walked on by whites.
(d) Wanting to be white.
6. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
7. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
(a) Totally expected.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) Comic relief.
(d) A tragedy.
8. The remade green velvet dress
(a) Exposed more of Helga's body.
(b) Was made blousy and full.
(c) Covered Helga from head to toe.
(d) Was heavy and obtrusive.
9. Helga wants to leave Naxos because
(a) She does not fit in.
(b) She hates James Vayle.
(c) The staff is dependent upon her.
(d) She dislikes her students.
10. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Must have earrings.
(b) Needs a better hairdo.
(c) Needs more makeup.
(d) Needs higher heels.
11. James Vayle is clearly
(a) A frightened man.
(b) A negotiator.
(c) Still in love with Helga.
(d) A loser in Harlem.
12. Helga finally finds work as
(a) A housekeeper.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A personal assistant.
13. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
(b) Forget her past in Harlem.
(c) Not be mad at her.
(d) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
14. Back in Harlem, Anne has
(a) Rejected Helga completely.
(b) Become overly-protective.
(c) Distanced herself from Helga.
(d) Begun to drink heavily.
15. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
(a) Extremely depressed.
(c) Free to pursue others.
(d) Wanting to return to Naxos.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
2. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
3. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
4. The Danish word for "black" that Helga hears in town is
5. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)