|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once again, Helga realizes that
(a) Harlem is the height of racism.
(b) Negroes are superior to whites.
(c) Harlem is superior to Denmark.
(d) Negroes are her own people.
2. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) A factory.
(b) A law firm.
(c) An insurance firm.
(d) A retail store.
3. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
(a) Mild interest.
(b) Irritable disrespect.
(c) Energized enthusiasm.
(d) Cynicism and disgust.
4. Anne Grey symbolizes
(a) The snobbery of New York city.
(b) What Helga wishes to be.
(c) Helga's worst stereotype.
(d) The depths to which Helga has sunk.
5. Helga now feels alienated from
(a) Her aunt.
(c) The Negro race.
(d) Harlem and New York.
6. Helga's hidden feeling about her lack of family is
7. The Fishers arrive at the boat in order to
(a) Help with Helga's bags.
(b) Greet Helga in Dutch.
(c) Translate for Helga's new uncle.
(d) Satisfy their curiosity.
8. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
(a) Poor quality.
9. Knowing she is without support, Helga's desperation turns to
(a) Anger toward all white people.
(b) Plotting and scheming for greater status.
(c) Revolutionary thoughts.
(d) Determination to make it on her own.
10. Helga shows up at the mission
(a) Looking for a way to die.
(b) Ready to receive God.
(c) Wishing to find friends.
(d) Wet and disoriented.
11. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Needs a better hairdo.
(b) Must have earrings.
(c) Needs higher heels.
(d) Needs more makeup.
12. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She is determined.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is ashamed.
(d) She wants her to disappear.
13. Helga remembers being in Denmark where people
(a) Wanted to see her dance.
(b) Wanted her to join their clubs.
(c) Admired her color and hair.
(d) Ignored her skin color.
14. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
15. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(b) Glad that he has rejected her.
(c) Realize that she does not like him.
(d) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
Short Answer Questions
1. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
2. One of the duties of her new job is to
3. Helga considers Negro society to be
4. The husband of Mrs. Hayes-Rore died
5. Helga's step-siblings were
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)