|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Her deepest regret over the incident with Anderson is
(a) That she made a fool of herself.
(b) That she did not tell Anne.
(c) Her broken relationship with Anne.
(d) She never really liked him.
2. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Needs more makeup.
(b) Needs higher heels.
(c) Needs a better hairdo.
(d) Must have earrings.
3. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) A law firm.
(b) A factory.
(c) A retail store.
(d) An insurance firm.
4. Helga is angry at herself because
(a) She is too beautiful to be a teacher.
(b) Her students think she is too young.
(c) Her colleagues like their jobs.
(d) Her teaching has been ineffective.
5. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was fair-skinned.
(b) She was not good looking.
(c) Her attitude was superior.
(d) She was not very smart.
6. In Chicago, Helga finds a place to stay
(a) With a roommate in an apartment.
(b) At the local YWCA.
(c) At the local golf club.
(d) With an old friend.
7. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
8. Prior to Olsen's proposal, Helga had planned to
(a) Begin a new relationship with Herr Dahl.
(b) Steal Dr. Anderson from Anne.
(c) Turn her attention to another man.
(d) Date within her own race.
9. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Glad that he has rejected her.
(b) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(c) Realize that she does not like him.
(d) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
10. It is possible that Helga Crane is
(a) Desperate to be married.
(b) Ready to settle down with anyone.
(c) In love with Dr. Anderson.
(d) Too irritable to have a relationship.
11. Helga found her job with the help of
(a) The local YWCA.
(b) A teacher in downtown Chicago.
(c) A small personnel agency.
(d) Mrs. Haye-Rore.
12. The husband of Mrs. Hayes-Rore died
(a) At his own hand.
(b) After a long illness.
(d) In peace.
13. When it comes to Dr. Anderson, Helga has now developed a vague sense of
14. Helga now feels alienated from
(a) Her aunt.
(b) Harlem and New York.
(c) The Negro race.
15. Anne does not know that Helga
(a) Dislikes her.
(b) Is planning to leave for Denmark.
(c) Is hoping Anne will like Dr. Anderson.
(d) Is angry about the Audrey Denny comments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Axel Olsen tells Helga that she has
2. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
3. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
4. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
5. What Helga respects in Audrey is
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)