|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
(a) Marry James Vayle and have children.
(b) Stay on in Naxos and date him.
(c) Stay on and try to fix the problems at the school.
(d) Take another position on the faculty.
2. Her decision to marry Pleasant Green is Helga's way of
(a) Avenging Dr. Anderson's cruelty.
(b) Having both God and man.
(c) Avoiding a return to Denmark.
(d) Hurting James Vayle.
3. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
(a) Wanting to return to Naxos.
(b) Free to pursue others.
(c) Extremely depressed.
4. Knowing she is without support, Helga's desperation turns to
(a) Plotting and scheming for greater status.
(b) Anger toward all white people.
(c) Determination to make it on her own.
(d) Revolutionary thoughts.
5. Anne Grey symbolizes
(a) The depths to which Helga has sunk.
(b) Helga's worst stereotype.
(c) What Helga wishes to be.
(d) The snobbery of New York city.
6. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(a) Too sensitive.
7. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be attractive.
(b) Will be black.
(c) Will not accept her.
(d) Will be like Uncle Peter.
8. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(b) Glad that he has rejected her.
(c) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
(d) Realize that she does not like him.
9. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not good looking.
(b) Her attitude was superior.
(c) She was fair-skinned.
(d) She was not very smart.
10. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Make him jealous.
(b) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
(c) Arrange never to see him again.
(d) Get him matched up with Anne.
11. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
(a) That her mother was white.
(b) The relationship between the two.
(c) That her mother has died.
(d) Her teaching background.
12. Helga's aunt resembles
(a) Uncle Peter.
(b) Helga's father.
(c) Audrey Denny.
(d) Helga's mother.
13. Anne's feelings about racism cause her to
(a) Reject blacks.
(b) Stay out of Harlem.
(c) Keep to herself.
(d) Hate white people.
14. Helga remembers her mother being
15. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
(a) She does not want to fit in.
(b) She is better than these people.
(c) Her feelings are hurt.
(d) She loves to travel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
2. Helga considers that perhaps her feelings for Dr. Anderson mean that
3. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
4. What the Dahls have wanted all along was
5. Helga Crane loves
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)