|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga considers Negro society to be
(a) Simple and straightforward.
(b) Much easier to live with than white.
(c) Beneath her social status.
(d) As complex as white.
2. The staging of Helga by her aunt and uncle make Helga feel like
(a) A pet dog.
(b) A peacock.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A dinosaur.
3. Helga Crane loves
(a) Classical music.
(b) Being black and educated.
(c) Beauty and beautiful things.
4. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
(a) Has dishonorable intentions.
(b) Has assimilated into the school's culture.
(c) Is a rebel and a loner.
(d) Is a well-known gossip.
5. The conversations at the tea Helga attends
(a) Excite her.
(b) Bore and exasperate her.
(c) Make her irritable.
(d) Make her want to serve her race.
6. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
(a) Her skin is fair.
(b) Her hair is blonde.
(c) She is a black activist.
(d) She is an aggressive woman.
7. Prior to Olsen's proposal, Helga had planned to
(a) Begin a new relationship with Herr Dahl.
(b) Steal Dr. Anderson from Anne.
(c) Date within her own race.
(d) Turn her attention to another man.
8. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
9. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
(a) An activist for the Negro cause.
(b) A struggling actress.
(c) An administrator for Chicago schools.
(d) An entertainer.
10. Helga has found peace and contentment in
(b) Her spirituality.
(c) Anne's house.
(d) Her job.
11. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Clean a large, beautiful home.
(b) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(c) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(d) Teach small children.
12. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
(a) Is more in perspective.
(b) Is oppressed.
(c) Is extinguished.
(d) Is fulfilled.
13. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) A law firm.
(b) An insurance firm.
(c) A factory.
(d) A retail store.
14. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
(b) Poor quality.
15. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(c) Too sensitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
2. Helga finally finds work as
3. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
4. Helga is disturbed by her euphoric feelings from the music, telling herself
5. Helga takes the time to
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)