|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The painter, Herr Olsen, finds Helga's looks to be
(a) Amazing and marvelous.
(b) Unusual and fearsome.
(c) Odd and almost frightening.
(d) Somewhat sleazy.
2. Anne Grey symbolizes
(a) What Helga wishes to be.
(b) The snobbery of New York city.
(c) The depths to which Helga has sunk.
(d) Helga's worst stereotype.
3. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Arrange never to see him again.
(b) Get him matched up with Anne.
(c) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
(d) Make him jealous.
4. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
(a) That her mother has died.
(b) That her mother was white.
(c) The relationship between the two.
(d) Her teaching background.
5. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
(a) She is a heavy drinker.
(b) She dances with anyone who asks.
(c) She dresses loudly.
(d) She socializes with whites and blacks.
6. Helga considers Negro society to be
(a) As complex as white.
(b) Simple and straightforward.
(c) Beneath her social status.
(d) Much easier to live with than white.
7. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
(a) A struggling actress.
(b) An entertainer.
(c) An administrator for Chicago schools.
(d) An activist for the Negro cause.
8. The sermon heard earlier affects Helga because
(a) It was about the persecution of blacks.
(b) It was not spontaneous.
(c) She feels it was rude and inappropriate.
(d) It pressed ideas onto the students about God.
9. Margaret Creighton is
(a) A lost soul.
(b) Afraid Helga might be ill.
(c) Concerned for Helga's career.
(d) Worried about losing her job.
10. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
(a) Has dishonorable intentions.
(b) Has assimilated into the school's culture.
(c) Is a well-known gossip.
(d) Is a rebel and a loner.
11. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Glad that he has rejected her.
(b) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(c) Realize that she does not like him.
(d) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
12. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(b) Clean a large, beautiful home.
(c) Teach small children.
(d) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
13. Helga thinks she has now
(a) Hit the bottom.
(b) Lost her mind.
(c) Avoided suicide.
(d) Found her saving grace.
14. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Not be mad at her.
(b) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
(c) Forget her past in Harlem.
(d) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
15. The staging of Helga by her aunt and uncle make Helga feel like
(a) A dinosaur.
(b) A peacock.
(c) A monkey.
(d) A pet dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga finally finds work as
2. The Fishers arrive at the boat in order to
3. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
4. Where does Helga encounter Robert Anderson again?
5. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)