|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sermon heard earlier affects Helga because
(a) It was about the persecution of blacks.
(b) It pressed ideas onto the students about God.
(c) It was not spontaneous.
(d) She feels it was rude and inappropriate.
2. Helga feels that at Naxos she is
(b) A real success.
(c) Well thought of.
3. Helga found her job with the help of
(a) Mrs. Haye-Rore.
(b) The local YWCA.
(c) A teacher in downtown Chicago.
(d) A small personnel agency.
4. The reason for Mrs. Hayes-Rore's reaction to Helga's story is that
(a) She becomes quite bored with Helga's drama.
(b) People do not talk about intermingling race.
(c) The story strikes a familiar note.
(d) She is appalled and disgusted.
5. Helga takes the time to
(a) Prepare the house for Anne's arrival home.
(b) Order the maid to change Anne's bed.
(c) Scrub the floors and windows.
(d) Write a note to Anne about her departure.
6. Helga wants to leave Naxos because
(a) She does not fit in.
(b) She hates James Vayle.
(c) The staff is dependent upon her.
(d) She dislikes her students.
7. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
(a) An activist for the Negro cause.
(b) A struggling actress.
(c) An entertainer.
(d) An administrator for Chicago schools.
8. Helga tells Olsen that some day
(a) He will learn to love all black people.
(b) His racism will catch up with him.
(c) In the future, they will marry.
(d) The differences in their races would come between them.
9. Helga tells her story to Mrs. Hayes-Rore who
(a) Admonishes her for sharing.
(b) Feels only sympathy for her.
(c) Reacts with anger toward her.
(d) Seems to withdraw from her.
10. When Dr. Anderson makes an assumption about her background, Helga
(a) Responds angrily with the truth about her parents.
(b) Hopes he will find her repulsive.
(c) Accepts the compliment and smiles.
(d) Is glad no one knows about her lack of family.
11. James Vayle is clearly
(a) A negotiator.
(b) A frightened man.
(c) A loser in Harlem.
(d) Still in love with Helga.
12. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
(b) A hatred of Harlem.
(c) A repugnance of Negroes.
(d) A wish for more money.
13. Her decision to marry Pleasant Green is Helga's way of
(a) Avoiding a return to Denmark.
(b) Having both God and man.
(c) Hurting James Vayle.
(d) Avenging Dr. Anderson's cruelty.
14. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
(a) Anger at Anne for her race.
(b) Anger toward Axel Olsen.
(c) Ashamed of her self.
(d) Hatred for the Negro performers.
15. What Helga respects in Audrey is
(a) Her beautiful apricot colored dress.
(b) Her ability to look beyond racial barriers.
(c) Her intrigue with Dr. Anderson.
(d) Her incredible talent for dancing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
2. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
3. What the Dahls have wanted all along was
4. Helga has found peace and contentment in
5. Helga thinks she has now
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)