|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Has no references.
(b) Is too persistent.
(c) Tries too hard.
(d) Knows no one in Chicago.
2. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She is determined.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She wants her to disappear.
(d) She is ashamed.
3. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
4. In her lovely room at Naxos, Helga is
(a) Angry and wants to leave.
(b) Perfectly content and relaxed.
(c) Passionate about children.
(d) Fulfilled in her job.
5. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(b) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(c) Teach small children.
(d) Clean a large, beautiful home.
6. Helga's aunt resembles
(a) Uncle Peter.
(b) Helga's father.
(c) Helga's mother.
(d) Audrey Denny.
7. Helga finally finds work as
(a) A housekeeper.
(b) A librarian.
(c) A personal assistant.
(d) A teacher.
8. Helga is disturbed by her euphoric feelings from the music, telling herself
(a) She is not a jungle animal.
(b) She is of Danish descent.
(c) She does not like to dance.
(d) She is not an African American.
9. When she finds Anne gone upon her return from the tea, Helga
(a) Is upset.
(b) Is disappointed.
(c) Is indifferent.
(d) Is worried.
10. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not good looking.
(b) Her attitude was superior.
(c) She was not very smart.
(d) She was fair-skinned.
11. James Vayle feels it is important
(a) For Helga to be married and settled down.
(b) For negroes at the top of the race to have children.
(c) That poorer negroes continue to have children.
(d) For everyone to have at least one child.
12. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) Her grandmother is there.
(b) She remembers going there as a child.
(c) She was born there.
(d) She worked in the factories there.
13. Axel Olsen tells Helga that she has
(a) The grace of an African.
(b) The stubbornness of a mule.
(c) The soul of a prostitute.
(d) The determination of a white woman.
14. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Make him jealous.
(b) Get him matched up with Anne.
(c) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
(d) Arrange never to see him again.
15. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(d) Too sensitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga is angry at herself because
2. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
3. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
4. Helga considers that perhaps her feelings for Dr. Anderson mean that
5. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)