|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The staging of Helga by her aunt and uncle make Helga feel like
(a) A pet dog.
(b) A peacock.
(c) A dinosaur.
(d) A monkey.
2. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be attractive.
(b) Will not accept her.
(c) Will be like Uncle Peter.
(d) Will be black.
3. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
(a) Her hair is blonde.
(b) She is an aggressive woman.
(c) She is a black activist.
(d) Her skin is fair.
4. The sermon heard earlier affects Helga because
(a) It was about the persecution of blacks.
(b) It was not spontaneous.
(c) She feels it was rude and inappropriate.
(d) It pressed ideas onto the students about God.
5. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
(c) The flu.
(d) The idea of of singing.
6. Her deepest regret over the incident with Anderson is
(a) That she did not tell Anne.
(b) That she made a fool of herself.
(c) She never really liked him.
(d) Her broken relationship with Anne.
7. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She wants her to disappear.
(b) She is determined.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is ashamed.
8. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
9. At the bottom of Helga's angst may be the fact that
(a) She has a better place in society.
(b) She has abandoned her family.
(c) Her family was wealthy at one time.
(d) She comes from questionable circumstances.
10. What Helga respects in Audrey is
(a) Her incredible talent for dancing.
(b) Her ability to look beyond racial barriers.
(c) Her beautiful apricot colored dress.
(d) Her intrigue with Dr. Anderson.
11. Helga Crane loves
(a) Beauty and beautiful things.
(b) Being black and educated.
(d) Classical music.
12. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
(a) An activist for the Negro cause.
(b) An entertainer.
(c) An administrator for Chicago schools.
(d) A struggling actress.
13. Helga's false pride masks her
(a) Insecurity and pain.
(c) Cruel nature.
(d) Lack of taste.
14. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
(a) That her mother has died.
(b) The relationship between the two.
(c) Her teaching background.
(d) That her mother was white.
15. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga's aunt resembles
2. When Dr. Anderson makes an assumption about her background, Helga
3. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
4. Helga's step-siblings were
5. What effect did Uncle Peter's check have on Helga?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)