|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
(a) Take another position on the faculty.
(b) Stay on in Naxos and date him.
(c) Marry James Vayle and have children.
(d) Stay on and try to fix the problems at the school.
2. The dress Helga chooses to wear to Anne's homecoming party represents
(a) Her need to be recognized as different.
(b) Her status as a socialite.
(c) Her impending flight.
(d) Her preference for the black race.
3. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not very smart.
(b) She was not good looking.
(c) She was fair-skinned.
(d) Her attitude was superior.
4. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be attractive.
(b) Will not accept her.
(c) Will be like Uncle Peter.
(d) Will be black.
5. Axel Olsen tells Helga that she has
(a) The determination of a white woman.
(b) The grace of an African.
(c) The stubbornness of a mule.
(d) The soul of a prostitute.
6. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(c) Too sensitive.
7. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Clean a large, beautiful home.
(b) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(c) Teach small children.
(d) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
8. Helga's step-siblings were
(a) Danish children.
(b) Black children.
(c) White children.
(d) Mulatto children.
9. Helga's aunt Katrina wants Helga to
(a) Mind her manners.
(b) Wear brightly colored clothing.
(c) Dress in a subdued manner.
(d) Wear less makeup.
10. Helga finally finds work as
(a) A librarian.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A personal assistant.
(d) A housekeeper.
11. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
12. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
(a) Extremely depressed.
(b) Wanting to return to Naxos.
(c) Free to pursue others.
13. Why does her uncle's wife reject Helga?
(a) She does not believe Helga.
(b) She feels Helga is not a valid member of the family.
(c) She thinks Helga dresses too loudly.
(d) She is simply cruel and evil.
14. Helga Crane loves
(a) Being black and educated.
(c) Classical music.
(d) Beauty and beautiful things.
15. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
(a) A more secure outlook.
(b) A stronger sense of her self.
(c) Dullness and aversion.
(d) Anxiety and tension.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
2. Helga tells her story to Mrs. Hayes-Rore who
3. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
4. Her decision to marry Pleasant Green is Helga's way of
5. Helga is angry at herself because
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)