|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Knowing she is without support, Helga's desperation turns to
(a) Plotting and scheming for greater status.
(b) Determination to make it on her own.
(c) Anger toward all white people.
(d) Revolutionary thoughts.
2. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
(a) A tragedy.
(b) A waste of time.
(c) Totally expected.
(d) Comic relief.
3. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
(a) Anne thinks Helga's mother just recently died.
(b) She plans to abscond with Anne's fortune.
(c) She knows she is taking advantage of Anne.
(d) She has taken money from Hayes-Rore.
4. Helga remembers her mother being
5. Helga takes the time to
(a) Order the maid to change Anne's bed.
(b) Write a note to Anne about her departure.
(c) Scrub the floors and windows.
(d) Prepare the house for Anne's arrival home.
6. The reason for Mrs. Hayes-Rore's reaction to Helga's story is that
(a) She becomes quite bored with Helga's drama.
(b) She is appalled and disgusted.
(c) The story strikes a familiar note.
(d) People do not talk about intermingling race.
7. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
(c) The flu.
(d) The idea of of singing.
8. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(b) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(c) Teach small children.
(d) Clean a large, beautiful home.
9. Mrs. Hayes-Rore is
(a) A struggling actress.
(b) An administrator for Chicago schools.
(c) An activist for the Negro cause.
(d) An entertainer.
10. Helga Crane loves
(b) Classical music.
(c) Beauty and beautiful things.
(d) Being black and educated.
11. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) Her grandmother is there.
(b) She was born there.
(c) She worked in the factories there.
(d) She remembers going there as a child.
12. How did Helga's mother lift herself out of her bad situation?
(a) She proclaimed her Danish heritage.
(b) She married a white man.
(c) She moved to Denmark.
(d) She stopped having children.
13. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Realize that she does not like him.
(b) Glad that he has rejected her.
(c) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(d) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
14. The portrait Olsen has painted of Helga is
(a) Demure and soft.
(b) Exact and lifelike.
(c) A mocking likeness.
(d) Exotic and wild.
15. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
(a) Mild interest.
(b) Energized enthusiasm.
(c) Cynicism and disgust.
(d) Irritable disrespect.
Short Answer Questions
1. The remade green velvet dress
2. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
3. Helga projects a sense of
4. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
5. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)