|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Her decision to marry Pleasant Green is Helga's way of
(a) Avenging Dr. Anderson's cruelty.
(b) Hurting James Vayle.
(c) Avoiding a return to Denmark.
(d) Having both God and man.
2. Helga thinks she has now
(a) Lost her mind.
(b) Avoided suicide.
(c) Hit the bottom.
(d) Found her saving grace.
3. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
(a) That her mother was white.
(b) Her teaching background.
(c) That her mother has died.
(d) The relationship between the two.
4. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
(a) A waste of time.
(b) A tragedy.
(c) Comic relief.
(d) Totally expected.
5. Helga remembers being in Denmark where people
(a) Wanted her to join their clubs.
(b) Admired her color and hair.
(c) Ignored her skin color.
(d) Wanted to see her dance.
6. Helga's aunt resembles
(a) Audrey Denny.
(b) Uncle Peter.
(c) Helga's father.
(d) Helga's mother.
7. Helga considers that perhaps her feelings for Dr. Anderson mean that
(a) She resents him.
(b) She wishes he would leave New York.
(c) She is in love with him.
(d) She longs for Naxos.
8. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
(b) A wish for more money.
(c) A repugnance of Negroes.
(d) A hatred of Harlem.
9. When she realizes what Axel Olsen is implying, Helga feels
10. When Dr. Anderson makes an assumption about her background, Helga
(a) Accepts the compliment and smiles.
(b) Responds angrily with the truth about her parents.
(c) Is glad no one knows about her lack of family.
(d) Hopes he will find her repulsive.
11. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Needs more makeup.
(b) Must have earrings.
(c) Needs higher heels.
(d) Needs a better hairdo.
12. The Danish word for "black" that Helga hears in town is
13. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
(a) Disrespect for Helga and her race.
(b) His true intentions of marrying Fru Dahl.
(c) His noble personality.
(d) His artistic finesse.
14. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) She was born there.
(b) She remembers going there as a child.
(c) She worked in the factories there.
(d) Her grandmother is there.
15. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
(a) Free to pursue others.
(b) Extremely depressed.
(c) Wanting to return to Naxos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga considers Negro society to be
2. Anne Grey symbolizes
3. Helga shows up at the mission
4. When it comes to Dr. Anderson, Helga has now developed a vague sense of
5. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)