|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga tells Olsen that some day
(a) The differences in their races would come between them.
(b) In the future, they will marry.
(c) His racism will catch up with him.
(d) He will learn to love all black people.
2. When it comes to Dr. Anderson, Helga has now developed a vague sense of
3. How did Helga's mother lift herself out of her bad situation?
(a) She moved to Denmark.
(b) She proclaimed her Danish heritage.
(c) She stopped having children.
(d) She married a white man.
4. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
(a) She is a black activist.
(b) She is an aggressive woman.
(c) Her skin is fair.
(d) Her hair is blonde.
5. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
(a) Irritable disrespect.
(b) Energized enthusiasm.
(c) Mild interest.
(d) Cynicism and disgust.
6. The Danish word for "black" that Helga hears in town is
7. The painter, Herr Olsen, finds Helga's looks to be
(a) Unusual and fearsome.
(b) Amazing and marvelous.
(c) Odd and almost frightening.
(d) Somewhat sleazy.
8. The Fishers arrive at the boat in order to
(a) Help with Helga's bags.
(b) Greet Helga in Dutch.
(c) Satisfy their curiosity.
(d) Translate for Helga's new uncle.
9. Helga feels the school's intention is to
(a) Turn black children into white children.
(b) Pave the way for college students.
(c) Preserve the Negro culture.
(d) Teach the children arts and crafts.
10. In the sophisticated crowd, James Vayle seems
(a) Young and innocent.
(b) Highly principled.
(c) Silly and under-dressed.
(d) Like a country boy.
11. Helga feels that at Naxos she is
(a) A real success.
(c) Well thought of.
12. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Arrange never to see him again.
(b) Get him matched up with Anne.
(c) Make him jealous.
(d) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
13. Helga found her job with the help of
(a) Mrs. Haye-Rore.
(b) A small personnel agency.
(c) The local YWCA.
(d) A teacher in downtown Chicago.
14. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
(a) She misses her aunt and uncle.
(b) She is angry to be black.
(c) She wants to continue to live with Anne.
(d) She is jealous, confused and afraid.
15. In Chicago, Helga finds a place to stay
(a) At the local golf club.
(b) At the local YWCA.
(c) With an old friend.
(d) With a roommate in an apartment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
2. The remade green velvet dress
3. Helga is tired of black people
4. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
5. Helga thinks she has now
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)