|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
(b) Poor quality.
2. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
(a) A wish for more money.
(b) A repugnance of Negroes.
(c) A hatred of Harlem.
3. James Vayle is clearly
(a) A frightened man.
(b) A negotiator.
(c) A loser in Harlem.
(d) Still in love with Helga.
4. Why does her uncle's wife reject Helga?
(a) She is simply cruel and evil.
(b) She thinks Helga dresses too loudly.
(c) She does not believe Helga.
(d) She feels Helga is not a valid member of the family.
5. Anne's feelings about racism cause her to
(a) Keep to herself.
(b) Hate white people.
(c) Reject blacks.
(d) Stay out of Harlem.
6. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She wants her to disappear.
(b) She is determined.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is ashamed.
7. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(a) Too sensitive.
8. Anne does not know that Helga
(a) Is angry about the Audrey Denny comments.
(b) Is planning to leave for Denmark.
(c) Is hoping Anne will like Dr. Anderson.
(d) Dislikes her.
9. It is possible that Helga Crane is
(a) Too irritable to have a relationship.
(b) In love with Dr. Anderson.
(c) Desperate to be married.
(d) Ready to settle down with anyone.
10. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
(a) She misses her aunt and uncle.
(b) She is jealous, confused and afraid.
(c) She wants to continue to live with Anne.
(d) She is angry to be black.
11. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
12. For her departure from Denmark, Helga now blames
(c) Axel Olsen.
(d) Herr Poul.
13. When she finds Anne gone upon her return from the tea, Helga
(a) Is worried.
(b) Is indifferent.
(c) Is disappointed.
(d) Is upset.
14. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
(a) Will be like Uncle Peter.
(b) Will be attractive.
(c) Will not accept her.
(d) Will be black.
15. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not good looking.
(b) She was fair-skinned.
(c) Her attitude was superior.
(d) She was not very smart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga gets a job in New York at
2. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
3. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
4. Knowing she is without support, Helga's desperation turns to
5. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)