|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Helga distressed at the end of this chapter?
(a) She is jealous, confused and afraid.
(b) She wants to continue to live with Anne.
(c) She misses her aunt and uncle.
(d) She is angry to be black.
2. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
(a) Robert Anderson.
(b) Her career goals.
(c) Her simple life in Chicago.
(d) Her wish to stay with Anne.
3. Helga now feels alienated from
(a) Harlem and New York.
(c) The Negro race.
(d) Her aunt.
4. Helga considers that perhaps her feelings for Dr. Anderson mean that
(a) She resents him.
(b) She wishes he would leave New York.
(c) She is in love with him.
(d) She longs for Naxos.
5. Olsen thinks Helga's surprise at his proposal is
6. Helga's step-siblings were
(a) Danish children.
(b) White children.
(c) Black children.
(d) Mulatto children.
7. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Is too persistent.
(b) Has no references.
(c) Knows no one in Chicago.
(d) Tries too hard.
8. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
(a) Is fulfilled.
(b) Is more in perspective.
(c) Is extinguished.
(d) Is oppressed.
9. The remade green velvet dress
(a) Was heavy and obtrusive.
(b) Exposed more of Helga's body.
(c) Was made blousy and full.
(d) Covered Helga from head to toe.
10. Helga considers the clothing of the staff to be
(a) Poor quality.
11. As Helga watches the dancers, she sees
(a) Gradations of color in the Negro race.
(b) The beauty of her race.
(c) The absurdity of her situation.
(d) A blurr of color and light.
12. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
(a) Must have earrings.
(b) Needs higher heels.
(c) Needs a better hairdo.
(d) Needs more makeup.
13. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Make him jealous.
(b) Get him matched up with Anne.
(c) Arrange never to see him again.
(d) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
14. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) An insurance firm.
(b) A factory.
(c) A retail store.
(d) A law firm.
15. The sermon heard earlier affects Helga because
(a) It was about the persecution of blacks.
(b) She feels it was rude and inappropriate.
(c) It pressed ideas onto the students about God.
(d) It was not spontaneous.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
2. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
3. Helga has found peace and contentment in
4. About to be sick in the crowd of worshippers, Helga got
5. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)