|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
(a) She is an aggressive woman.
(b) Her skin is fair.
(c) Her hair is blonde.
(d) She is a black activist.
2. Helga's step-siblings were
(a) Danish children.
(b) Black children.
(c) White children.
(d) Mulatto children.
3. Helga feels the school's intention is to
(a) Preserve the Negro culture.
(b) Turn black children into white children.
(c) Teach the children arts and crafts.
(d) Pave the way for college students.
4. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Tries too hard.
(b) Is too persistent.
(c) Has no references.
(d) Knows no one in Chicago.
5. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
(b) Not be mad at her.
(c) Forget her past in Harlem.
(d) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
6. Helga tells Olsen that some day
(a) He will learn to love all black people.
(b) The differences in their races would come between them.
(c) His racism will catch up with him.
(d) In the future, they will marry.
7. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(d) Too sensitive.
8. Olsen thinks Helga's surprise at his proposal is
9. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
(a) Her simple life in Chicago.
(b) Robert Anderson.
(c) Her wish to stay with Anne.
(d) Her career goals.
10. Helga leaves Denmark with the expectation of
(a) Bringing Anne back with her.
(b) Returning after the wedding.
(c) Staying in Harlem forever.
(d) Marrying Dr. Anderson.
11. When she finds Anne gone upon her return from the tea, Helga
(a) Is indifferent.
(b) Is upset.
(c) Is worried.
(d) Is disappointed.
12. Helga takes the time to
(a) Order the maid to change Anne's bed.
(b) Prepare the house for Anne's arrival home.
(c) Write a note to Anne about her departure.
(d) Scrub the floors and windows.
13. Helga decides to ask her maternal uncle for help because
(a) Her mother would have wanted it.
(b) Her father's wealth has disappeared.
(c) Her father's relatives hate her.
(d) She knows he will take her in.
14. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) Her grandmother is there.
(b) She was born there.
(c) She remembers going there as a child.
(d) She worked in the factories there.
15. Helga gets a job in New York at
(a) A retail store.
(b) A law firm.
(c) A factory.
(d) An insurance firm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Her deepest regret over the incident with Anderson is
2. The reason for Mrs. Hayes-Rore's reaction to Helga's story is that
3. Dr. Anderson's rejection of her leaves Helga
4. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
5. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)