|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga decides to ask her maternal uncle for help because
(a) Her father's relatives hate her.
(b) She knows he will take her in.
(c) Her father's wealth has disappeared.
(d) Her mother would have wanted it.
2. Helga shows up at the mission
(a) Wet and disoriented.
(b) Wishing to find friends.
(c) Looking for a way to die.
(d) Ready to receive God.
3. It is possible that Helga Crane is
(a) Desperate to be married.
(b) In love with Dr. Anderson.
(c) Too irritable to have a relationship.
(d) Ready to settle down with anyone.
4. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was fair-skinned.
(b) She was not very smart.
(c) Her attitude was superior.
(d) She was not good looking.
5. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
(a) Is oppressed.
(b) Is extinguished.
(c) Is fulfilled.
(d) Is more in perspective.
6. What dominates Helga's mind when rich men court her in New York?
(a) Robert Anderson.
(b) Her wish to stay with Anne.
(c) Her simple life in Chicago.
(d) Her career goals.
7. Helga is tired of black people
(a) Being walked on by whites.
(b) Wanting to be white.
(c) Denigrating white people.
(d) Sticking together.
8. Olsen refers to Helga's refusal of him as
(a) Totally expected.
(b) A tragedy.
(c) Comic relief.
(d) A waste of time.
9. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Knows no one in Chicago.
(b) Tries too hard.
(c) Has no references.
(d) Is too persistent.
10. The Danish word for "black" that Helga hears in town is
11. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
(a) Anger toward Axel Olsen.
(b) Hatred for the Negro performers.
(c) Ashamed of her self.
(d) Anger at Anne for her race.
12. The husband of Mrs. Hayes-Rore died
(b) At his own hand.
(c) After a long illness.
(d) In peace.
13. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
(a) She plans to abscond with Anne's fortune.
(b) She has taken money from Hayes-Rore.
(c) She knows she is taking advantage of Anne.
(d) Anne thinks Helga's mother just recently died.
14. Anne secretly knows that Dr. Anderson might
(a) Cheat on her throughout their marriage.
(b) Have a split personality.
(c) Lose his job and become dependent.
(d) Lose his willpower when it comes to Helga.
15. Helga's false pride masks her
(a) Insecurity and pain.
(c) Lack of taste.
(d) Cruel nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Helga sees Audrey Denny with Dr. Anderson, she feels
2. Dr. Anderson has assumed that Helga's good qualities are due to
3. With his strange overtures toward her, Axel Olsen shows
4. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
5. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)