|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The remade green velvet dress
(a) Was heavy and obtrusive.
(b) Was made blousy and full.
(c) Covered Helga from head to toe.
(d) Exposed more of Helga's body.
2. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
(a) She socializes with whites and blacks.
(b) She dances with anyone who asks.
(c) She dresses loudly.
(d) She is a heavy drinker.
3. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(d) Too sensitive.
4. Peter's wife told Helga her presence was not
5. What would Helga like to accomplish with Dr. Crane?
(a) Make him jealous.
(b) Arrange never to see him again.
(c) Get him matched up with Anne.
(d) Set him straight regarding their talk in Naxos.
6. Anne secretly knows that Dr. Anderson might
(a) Lose his job and become dependent.
(b) Lose his willpower when it comes to Helga.
(c) Have a split personality.
(d) Cheat on her throughout their marriage.
7. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Forget her past in Harlem.
(b) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
(c) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
(d) Not be mad at her.
8. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
(a) Stay on in Naxos and date him.
(b) Take another position on the faculty.
(c) Marry James Vayle and have children.
(d) Stay on and try to fix the problems at the school.
9. Helga is angry at herself because
(a) Her teaching has been ineffective.
(b) Her students think she is too young.
(c) She is too beautiful to be a teacher.
(d) Her colleagues like their jobs.
10. Helga wishes that the school would not
(a) Seek government funding.
(b) Try to be something it is not.
(c) Advertise itself as a school for blacks.
(d) Suppress the true nature of its students.
11. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
(a) Is more in perspective.
(b) Is extinguished.
(c) Is fulfilled.
(d) Is oppressed.
12. When she finds Anne gone upon her return from the tea, Helga
(a) Is upset.
(b) Is worried.
(c) Is indifferent.
(d) Is disappointed.
13. Anne Grey symbolizes
(a) Helga's worst stereotype.
(b) What Helga wishes to be.
(c) The depths to which Helga has sunk.
(d) The snobbery of New York city.
14. What the Dahls have wanted all along was
(a) For Helga to marry.
(b) An artist in the family.
(c) A better understanding of Helga.
(d) For Helga to leave.
15. Knowing she is without support, Helga's desperation turns to
(a) Anger toward all white people.
(b) Plotting and scheming for greater status.
(c) Revolutionary thoughts.
(d) Determination to make it on her own.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is possible that Helga Crane is
2. For her departure from Denmark, Helga now blames
3. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
4. Anne's feelings about racism cause her to
5. Her deepest regret over the incident with Anderson is
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)