|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The furnishings in Anne Grey's home
(a) Have been bought from museums.
(b) Appeal to Helga's sense of aesthetics.
(c) Are too modern for her home.
(d) Are old and dusty.
2. Helga Crane loves
(b) Beauty and beautiful things.
(c) Being black and educated.
(d) Classical music.
3. The dress Helga chooses to wear to Anne's homecoming party represents
(a) Her status as a socialite.
(b) Her preference for the black race.
(c) Her need to be recognized as different.
(d) Her impending flight.
4. What disturbs Helga about her conversation with Dr. Anderson?
(a) She wanted to stay.
(b) She feels she confided too much to him.
(c) She feels she told half-truths.
(d) She is ashamed of herself for resigning.
5. In her lovely room at Naxos, Helga is
(a) Fulfilled in her job.
(b) Passionate about children.
(c) Angry and wants to leave.
(d) Perfectly content and relaxed.
6. What emotion does Dr. Anderson's presence stir up in Helga?
(a) Her superiority.
(b) Her grief.
(c) Her depression.
(d) Her anger.
7. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is determined.
(c) She wants her to disappear.
(d) She is ashamed.
8. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
(a) Hatred for the Negro performers.
(b) Anger toward Axel Olsen.
(c) Anger at Anne for her race.
(d) Ashamed of her self.
9. In a letter, Anne asks Helga to
(a) Forget her past in Harlem.
(b) Not be mad at her.
(c) Attend her wedding to Dr. Anderson.
(d) Forget about Dr. Anderson.
10. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
(a) She knows she is taking advantage of Anne.
(b) She plans to abscond with Anne's fortune.
(c) Anne thinks Helga's mother just recently died.
(d) She has taken money from Hayes-Rore.
11. Helga wants to leave Naxos because
(a) She dislikes her students.
(b) She hates James Vayle.
(c) The staff is dependent upon her.
(d) She does not fit in.
12. Helga's false pride masks her
(a) Cruel nature.
(b) Lack of taste.
(d) Insecurity and pain.
13. The rejection Helga held earlier for America has turned to
(a) A repugnance of Negroes.
(b) A hatred of Harlem.
(d) A wish for more money.
14. Helga thinks she has now
(a) Hit the bottom.
(b) Lost her mind.
(c) Avoided suicide.
(d) Found her saving grace.
15. One of the duties of her new job is to
(a) Travel with Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
(b) Clean a large, beautiful home.
(c) Teach small children.
(d) Read to Mrs. Hayes-Rore.
Short Answer Questions
1. It occurs to Helga that perhaps her new uncle
2. Helga wishes that the school would not
3. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
4. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
5. Katrina would like Helga to
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)