|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert Anderson's kiss makes Helga
(a) Consider marrying James Vayle.
(b) Realize that she does not like him.
(c) Glad that he has rejected her.
(d) Forget that he would not jeopardize his self-esteem.
2. The remade green velvet dress
(a) Was made blousy and full.
(b) Exposed more of Helga's body.
(c) Covered Helga from head to toe.
(d) Was heavy and obtrusive.
3. Helga is sure that James Vayle's family
(a) Is warm and inviting.
(b) Wishes she would marry him.
(c) Disapproves of her.
(d) Is spiteful and petty.
4. Helga now feels alienated from
(a) Her aunt.
(c) Harlem and New York.
(d) The Negro race.
5. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was not very smart.
(b) She was fair-skinned.
(c) She was not good looking.
(d) Her attitude was superior.
6. Helga shows up at the mission
(a) Looking for a way to die.
(b) Wishing to find friends.
(c) Ready to receive God.
(d) Wet and disoriented.
7. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
(a) Anger at Anne for her race.
(b) Anger toward Axel Olsen.
(c) Ashamed of her self.
(d) Hatred for the Negro performers.
8. Helga considers Negro society to be
(a) As complex as white.
(b) Simple and straightforward.
(c) Beneath her social status.
(d) Much easier to live with than white.
9. How does Helga feel about the encounter with Uncle Peter's wife?
(a) She wants her to disappear.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is determined.
(d) She is ashamed.
10. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Is too persistent.
(b) Knows no one in Chicago.
(c) Has no references.
(d) Tries too hard.
11. The sermon heard earlier affects Helga because
(a) She feels it was rude and inappropriate.
(b) It was about the persecution of blacks.
(c) It was not spontaneous.
(d) It pressed ideas onto the students about God.
12. When it comes to Dr. Anderson, Helga has now developed a vague sense of
13. Helga is tired of black people
(a) Sticking together.
(b) Being walked on by whites.
(c) Denigrating white people.
(d) Wanting to be white.
14. Helga has found peace and contentment in
(a) Her job.
(c) Her spirituality.
(d) Anne's house.
15. Dr. Anderson thinks that Helga's reaction to injustice is
(c) Too sensitive.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Helga's mother lift herself out of her bad situation?
2. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
3. The Danish word for "black" that Helga hears in town is
4. Helga feels that at Naxos she is
5. Helga's step-siblings were
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)