|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga considers Negro society to be
(a) Beneath her social status.
(b) Simple and straightforward.
(c) As complex as white.
(d) Much easier to live with than white.
2. What the Dahls have wanted all along was
(a) For Helga to marry.
(b) A better understanding of Helga.
(c) For Helga to leave.
(d) An artist in the family.
3. Helga resents the authority structure's tendency to be
4. Why does her uncle's wife reject Helga?
(a) She is simply cruel and evil.
(b) She thinks Helga dresses too loudly.
(c) She feels Helga is not a valid member of the family.
(d) She does not believe Helga.
5. Helga's step-siblings were
(a) Black children.
(b) White children.
(c) Danish children.
(d) Mulatto children.
6. Helga feels the school's intention is to
(a) Preserve the Negro culture.
(b) Turn black children into white children.
(c) Teach the children arts and crafts.
(d) Pave the way for college students.
7. Dr. Anderson has assumed that Helga's good qualities are due to
(a) Her fine education.
(b) Her sense of morality.
(c) Her good breeding.
(d) The facade she wears.
8. Audrey Denny is the subject of gossip because
(a) She is a heavy drinker.
(b) She dresses loudly.
(c) She socializes with whites and blacks.
(d) She dances with anyone who asks.
9. As Helga watches the dancers, she sees
(a) Gradations of color in the Negro race.
(b) The beauty of her race.
(c) A blurr of color and light.
(d) The absurdity of her situation.
10. Helga is sure that James Vayle's family
(a) Is warm and inviting.
(b) Wishes she would marry him.
(c) Disapproves of her.
(d) Is spiteful and petty.
11. Helga leaves Denmark with the expectation of
(a) Staying in Harlem forever.
(b) Returning after the wedding.
(c) Bringing Anne back with her.
(d) Marrying Dr. Anderson.
12. In Chicago, Helga finds a place to stay
(a) At the local YWCA.
(b) With an old friend.
(c) At the local golf club.
(d) With a roommate in an apartment.
13. Helga shows up at the mission
(a) Wishing to find friends.
(b) Ready to receive God.
(c) Wet and disoriented.
(d) Looking for a way to die.
14. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
(a) She has taken money from Hayes-Rore.
(b) She plans to abscond with Anne's fortune.
(c) Anne thinks Helga's mother just recently died.
(d) She knows she is taking advantage of Anne.
15. When Dr. Anderson makes an assumption about her background, Helga
(a) Is glad no one knows about her lack of family.
(b) Hopes he will find her repulsive.
(c) Accepts the compliment and smiles.
(d) Responds angrily with the truth about her parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to Olsen's proposal, Helga had planned to
2. At the vaudeville house, Helga feels
3. Helga finally finds work as
4. Helga thinks she has now
5. The portrait Olsen has painted of Helga is
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)