|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Quicksand - Chapters Ten and Eleven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Knows no one in Chicago.
(b) Is too persistent.
(c) Has no references.
(d) Tries too hard.
2. Helga's attitude toward Negro "uplift" has turned to
(a) Energized enthusiasm.
(b) Mild interest.
(c) Cynicism and disgust.
(d) Irritable disrespect.
3. What emotion does Dr. Anderson's presence stir up in Helga?
(a) Her anger.
(b) Her depression.
(c) Her superiority.
(d) Her grief.
4. What effect did Uncle Peter's check have on Helga?
(a) She realizes she has felt yoked to her race.
(b) She remembers that she likes being white.
(c) She begins to miss her mother.
(d) She feels guilty or causing Peter such trouble.
5. Mrs. Hayes-Rore warns Helga not to mention
(a) The relationship between the two.
(b) Her teaching background.
(c) That her mother has died.
(d) That her mother was white.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reason for Mrs. Hayes-Rore's reaction to Helga's story is that
2. James Vayle, to whom Helga is engaged,
3. Helga is tired of black people
4. Helga tells her story to Mrs. Hayes-Rore who
5. Helga now feels alienated from
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)