|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Quicksand - Chapters Six and Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the bottom of Helga's angst may be the fact that
(a) She has a better place in society.
(b) Her family was wealthy at one time.
(c) She comes from questionable circumstances.
(d) She has abandoned her family.
2. Why might Helga have felt alienated in the "Negro" school as a child?
(a) She was fair-skinned.
(b) She was not good looking.
(c) Her attitude was superior.
(d) She was not very smart.
3. Helga is angry at herself because
(a) Her students think she is too young.
(b) She is too beautiful to be a teacher.
(c) Her colleagues like their jobs.
(d) Her teaching has been ineffective.
4. Helga is sure that James Vayle's family
(a) Is spiteful and petty.
(b) Wishes she would marry him.
(c) Is warm and inviting.
(d) Disapproves of her.
5. Helga feels she does not fit in with this community because
(a) Her hair is blonde.
(b) She is a black activist.
(c) Her skin is fair.
(d) She is an aggressive woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Helga considers Negro society to be
2. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
3. Helga decides to ask her maternal uncle for help because
4. Dr. Anderson would hope that Helga would, instead, prefer to
5. Dr. Anderson has assumed that Helga's good qualities are due to
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)