|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Quicksand - Chapters Twelve, Thirteen and Fourteen.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In her aunt' home, Helga's innate desire for things
(a) Is oppressed.
(b) Is more in perspective.
(c) Is fulfilled.
(d) Is extinguished.
2. Helga's attempt to overcome her loneliness in Harlem has resulted in
(a) Dullness and aversion.
(b) A more secure outlook.
(c) Anxiety and tension.
(d) A stronger sense of her self.
3. Helga has trouble finding work because she
(a) Tries too hard.
(b) Has no references.
(c) Knows no one in Chicago.
(d) Is too persistent.
4. The reason for Mrs. Hayes-Rore's reaction to Helga's story is that
(a) She is appalled and disgusted.
(b) She becomes quite bored with Helga's drama.
(c) People do not talk about intermingling race.
(d) The story strikes a familiar note.
5. Besides her uncle, what connection does Helga have in Chicago?
(a) She worked in the factories there.
(b) She was born there.
(c) She remembers going there as a child.
(d) Her grandmother is there.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her discomfort about not fitting in, Helga realizes
2. When she is dressed for tea, Helga's uncle decides that she
3. Why does her uncle's wife reject Helga?
4. Helga is tired of black people
5. Helga feels like a criminal when she meets Anne because
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)