Quicksand, Chapter One
• Helga Crane, a teacher, decides to leave her job at Naxos, a southern school for Negro children.
• Helga decides to ask her uncle, her mother's brother, for money so that she can leave this area.
• Helga decides to break her engagement to James Vayle, who is also employed at Naxos.
• Helga is disturbed by the school's teaching methods.
• Helga lives lavishly, surrounded by beautiful things and wearing colorful clothing.
• Helga has no family ties, and feels as though she does not fit in at Naxos.
Quicksand, Chapters Two and Three
• Helga makes up her mind firmly to leave Naxos, despite a colleague's concern about her career.
• We learn that Helga does not like the backbiting pettiness of her colleagues.
• Helga is ashamed of her lack of family ties or status.
• Helga gets a twenty minute meeting with Dr. Anderson, the school principal, to explain her...
This section contains 2,045 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)