|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fires a flaming arrow at a boat near Queen Mary's boat?
2. The English Ambassage Extraordinary demands that the Queen of Scots marry the ________________.
3. Why do the arrows not pierce Lymond's skin?
4. What element was used to poison Lymond?
5. At court it is decided that Queen Mary would marry the ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at court when it is believed that Lymond is dead?
2. What is the purpose of the arrival in France of the English Ambassage Extraordinary?
3. What does Lymond learn about who is conspiring against him and Queen Mary and why it is necessary for Lymond to die?
4. How does O'LiamRoe unwittingly stumble upon information related to the plot to kill Queen Mary?
5. What are the circumstances of Brice's death and why does Lymond insist that Robin be returned to France unharmed?
6. What is the result of Robin's attacking Lymond while the court members are enjoying an evening out of doors?
7. Whose name does Oonagh give O'LiamRoe as the other henchman involved in the murder plot?
8. What is Robin's sentence for his part in the plot to murder Queen Mary? Why will the sentence not be carried out?
9. How is the statement regarding a dog not being fed or being fed by a trespasser relevant for this chapter?
10. Who is the man the author refers to in the riddle about fasting? Why should this man have maintained his plan to starve himself to death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the author end the book on a note of hope for Queen Mary and the Queen Mother or the continuance of their struggle to come to terms with the nature and origins of royal roles? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lymond and Thady. What are their roles within the story? What must Lymond be expert in in order to carry out the personality game in the book? What purpose do both Lymond and Thady serve? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Ambition takes on an almost human persona in this book. What is this literary technique called? What was the source of some of the characters' ambitions? What did they covet? Why were they consumed with attaining their goals? Cite examples that support your answers.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)