|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lymond do when Robin makes a comment about Lymond's family and Margaret Erskines?
2. Brice is surprised that the ________________ turned him in.
3. What element was used to poison Lymond?
4. Who confesses to the plot to kill Queen Mary?
5. What does Lymond do to set the Hotel Moutier on fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose name does Oonagh give O'LiamRoe as the other henchman involved in the murder plot?
2. Who is the man the author refers to in the riddle about fasting? Why should this man have maintained his plan to starve himself to death?
3. What is the purpose of the arrival in France of the English Ambassage Extraordinary?
4. Why is the riddle about dissolving verbal contracts relevant for Robin?
5. How does O'LiamRoe enjoy the English court and what is the one aspect of the French court that is still of interest to him?
6. What is the result of Robin's attacking Lymond while the court members are enjoying an evening out of doors?
7. What are the circumstances of Brice's death and why does Lymond insist that Robin be returned to France unharmed?
8. Why is it important for O'LiamRoe to go to Oonagh to attain her compliance with talking about the murder plot?
9. Name some direct and indirect examples that support the riddle regarding a woman who gives herself up to a man because of what he has to offer her.
10. Who does Lymond tell Richard is the would-be assassin? How does Lymond know this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of O'LiamRoe. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Lymond (Thady). What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Dorothy Dunnett is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,351 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)