|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mary de Guise is known as the ___________________
2. Robin Stewart decides that he is going to return to __________________.
3. Who is Michel Herrison?
4. What are the men doing when the courtiers arrive in Neuve?
5. Who is Abernaci?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lymond (Thady) feel fortunate to be granted a stay in France by the King?
2. What information is provided at the beginning of the book to help the reader understand the characters and setting?
3. What life-threatening secret is Lymond forced to keep as he performs and entertains at court one night?
4. What is the significance of the riddle at the beginning of the chapter referring to bees living in the trees of royalty?
5. Who is Jenny Fleming? How is her daughter more like the mother in this relationship?
6. How does the steeplechase end?
7. What ulterior motives does Oonagh have when she agrees to beginning a relationship with O'LiamRoe?
8. What does Lymond explain to Abernaci about the excitement during the parade?
9. What is the role of Mary de Guise, and why does she require the services of Crawford of Lymond?
10. What role does Oonagh play in trying to get O'LiamRoe sent back to Ireland?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dorothy Dunnett's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lymond and Thady. What are their roles within the story? What must Lymond be expert in in order to carry out the personality game in the book? What purpose do both Lymond and Thady serve? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine de' Medici. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)