|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lymond plans on using his time at dinner with the King to ______________________.
2. Who is Master Thady Boy Ballagh?
3. Who is the daughter of Mary de Guise?
4. Mary de Guise is known as the ___________________
5. What does the King offer to Thady as a gesture of thanks for diverting the elephants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the steeplechase end?
2. What information does Tom Erskine let slip about the Queen Mother?
3. What act must the Queen Mother put on during her visit to France?
4. What is the role of Mary de Guise, and why does she require the services of Crawford of Lymond?
5. What role does Thady take on at the French court as it moves from one destination to another?
6. What is learned about O'LiamRoe's attraction to Oonagh?
7. What are the Queen Mother's plans for her and Queen Mary's future? How do many people at court feel about the plans?
8. What disappoints the Queen Mother about Lymond and what alter ego does Lymond reveal?
9. What information is provided at the beginning of the book to help the reader understand the characters and setting?
10. Why does Lymond determine that he must be the bait for whomever is trying to poison Queen Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply QUEENS' PLAY? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each one.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jenny Fleming. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Jenny's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Mary de Guise was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Mary de Guise's life through this book, what were her biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did she manage through them? How did her coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of her life? Explain.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)