|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This is the first visit to France in _________________ for Mary de Guise.
2. Mary de Guise had been the bride of King James V of which country?
3. For what does the Queen Mother thank Lymond?
4. What city is crowded waiting for the arrival of the King?
5. O'LiamRoe learns that the French court is planning to make a fool out of O'LiamRoe by ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What act must the Queen Mother put on during her visit to France?
2. What does this chapter reveal about what is going on behind the scenes of the story?
3. Explain what happens when a cheetah attacks during the court's hunt.
4. How does the steeplechase end?
5. Who are the two notable characters mixing with the Irish passengers on board the La Sauvee which is bound for Dieppe, France?
6. What information is provided at the beginning of the book to help the reader understand the characters and setting?
7. What information does Tom Erskine let slip about the Queen Mother?
8. Why does Lymond (Thady) feel fortunate to be granted a stay in France by the King?
9. What role does Thady take on at the French court as it moves from one destination to another?
10. Explain how Lymond (Thandy) wins over the King to be allowed to stay in France for a longer period of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Catherine de' Medici. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Dorothy Dunnett's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of pride. Identify at least two instances about pride in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)