|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This is the first visit to France in _________________ for Mary de Guise.
2. What animal attacks O'LiamRoe's dog?
3. Why is Robin Stewart so angry with John Stewart?
4. What is at the beginning of Part One: The Vulgar Lyre: The Fork is Chosen?
5. What does the King offer to Thady as a gesture of thanks for diverting the elephants?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the two notable characters mixing with the Irish passengers on board the La Sauvee which is bound for Dieppe, France?
2. How does O'LiamRoe enjoy the English court and what is the one aspect of the French court that is still of interest to him?
3. What is the source of much of the conflict in Europe in the mid-1500s?
4. What is the role of Mary de Guise, and why does she require the services of Crawford of Lymond?
5. Why does Lymond determine that he must be the bait for whomever is trying to poison Queen Mary?
6. Name some direct and indirect examples that support the riddle regarding a woman who gives herself up to a man because of what he has to offer her.
7. What role does Thady take on at the French court as it moves from one destination to another?
8. Whose name does Oonagh give O'LiamRoe as the other henchman involved in the murder plot?
9. Why does Lymond have a discussion with Abernaci regarding poisons he has for the elephants?
10. What is learned about O'LiamRoe's attraction to Oonagh?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dorothy Dunnett's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of King Henry II of France. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him throughout his life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Catherine de' Medici. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What motivated her throughout her life?
This section contains 1,698 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)