|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Neppomuck think must be Liza's true background?
2. To whom does Liza plan to go for advice the day after she leaves Higgins?
3. Where do Freddy and Liza go at the end of Act 4?
4. Who comes looking for Higgins at the beginning of Act 5?
5. Whom do Higgins and Pickering call on the phone when they find Liza missing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Higgins think Liza should do with her future? Does he really give it any thought?
2. During the social visit with Mrs. Higgins and the Eynsford Hills, what does Liza say that is shocking?
3. Describe Mrs. Higgins and her relationship with her son.
4. What does Higgins conclude about the evening and about their joint project at the beginning of Act 4? What does he say that hurts Liza's feelings?
5. Why doesn't Higgins want Liza to fetch his slippers for him and perform other like tasks?
6. What does Liza ultimately think of the party and of her success at the end of Act 3?
7. What do Neppomuck and the ambassador's wife conclude about Liza? What does it suggest about class differences and about high society that Liza is so easily able to fool everyone at the party?
8. How does Liza finally come into her own as a woman at the end of Act 5?
9. What does Mrs. Higgins say when she learns the two men have phoned the police at the beginning of Act 5? What does Mrs. Higgins realize about Liza that the two men do not?
10. What does Higgins mean when he says that people are really "savages"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the ending of Pygmalion.
Part 1) Considering the ending of the play, what do you think Shaw's attitude is toward the traditional "happy ending" of most romances?
Part 2) Why, according to Shaw, does his play not end the way most people might expect?
Part 3) Would the play be more satisfying if Liza had married Higgins instead of Freddy? Why, or why not?
Part 4) (optional) If you have seen it, you may consider the slightly different, more "Hollywood" ending in the movie version of the play, My Fair Lady. Compare the ending of the play with the ending of the movie. Which do you prefer, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the theme of language in Pygmalion. At the end of the play, Alfred Doolittle says that he expects now he's going to have to learn to speak middle-class English instead of the "proper English" he normally uses. What is ironic about his statement? Is there really one "proper" way to speak English, in your opinion? What do you think Shaw's opinion is? If everyone speaks Doolittle's low-class English, would it be just as well as if everyone speaks like duchesses?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you examine the negative consequences of having money and social status in Pygmalion. Liza's father, Alfred Doolittle, is poor but does not wish to have money. Why? When he comes into money, why does he blame Higgins for delivering him into the hands of middle-class morality? Does he make a good point? What are some of the drawbacks to having money? What are the restrictions of being in a particular social class?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)