|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Higgins, what is Freddy?
2. What does Liza think about the party?
3. What does the ambassador's wife think of Liza?
4. In Act 5, Doolittle reveals that he is miserable because certain people are hounding him. Who are these people, and why are they after Doolitttle?
5. What question does Liza have for Higgins after the party is over and they are back at Higgins's home?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Freddy and Higgins.
Part 1) How are Freddy and Higgins similar and different? Consider all of the following:
--their social class and wealth
--their skills and abilities
--their attitudes toward Liza
Part 2) Why is Higgins not a suitable husband for Liza, while Freddy is? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the theme of language in Pygmalion. At the end of the play, Alfred Doolittle says that he expects now he's going to have to learn to speak middle-class English instead of the "proper English" he normally uses. What is ironic about his statement? Is there really one "proper" way to speak English, in your opinion? What do you think Shaw's opinion is? If everyone speaks Doolittle's low-class English, would it be just as well as if everyone speaks like duchesses?
Essay Topic 3
Read the myth of Pygmalion and Galatea. How is Higgins like Pygmalion? What other stories, movies, or television shows can you think of that are modeled on this same general plot? Why do you think people are fascinated by the idea of transformation or makeovers?
This section contains 2,118 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)