|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Higgins, what is Freddy?
2. What does Liza think about the party?
3. What does the ambassador's wife think of Liza?
4. In Act 5, Doolittle reveals that he is miserable because certain people are hounding him. Who are these people, and why are they after Doolitttle?
5. What question does Liza have for Higgins after the party is over and they are back at Higgins's home?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Freddy and Higgins.
Part 1) How are Freddy and Higgins similar and different? Consider all of the following:
--their social class and wealth
--their skills and abilities
--their attitudes toward Liza
Part 2) Why is Higgins not a suitable husband for Liza, while Freddy is? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In the Preface to Pygmalion, Shaw says that all great art should be didactic; that is, it should teach something. What does Shaw hope his play will teach people--both about language and about how reforming it might help society? Do you think the play is successful at communicating the intended message? Write an essay about this topic, using quotations from the Preface as well as from the rest of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Clara and her transformation in the play.
Part 1) How does Clara change in the course of the play, and why?
Part 2) How does Shaw satirize various foibles of society through Clara (for instance, snobbery and fads among young people)?
Part 3) How are we meant to view Clara? Is she a sympathetic figure, a ridiculous figure, or some mixture of both?
This section contains 2,118 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)