|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mrs. Higgins portrayed?
2. What does Higgins throw into the fire?
3. What does Mrs. Higgins say Pickering and Higgins have done wrong?
4. Which of the following does Higgins call Liza in Act 4 when she bursts out in a rage at him?
5. Who is delighted with Liza's "small talk" during the social visit with the Eynsford Hills in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freddy feel about Liza and what does he want from her? How is he different from Higgins?
2. What does Higgins conclude about the evening and about their joint project at the beginning of Act 4? What does he say that hurts Liza's feelings?
3. Describe Neppomuck. Who is he, and what does Higgins think of him?
4. What does Higgins think Liza should do with her future? Does he really give it any thought?
5. What does Liza say about marriage in Act 4? What does her statement reveal about her morals?
6. Why doesn't Higgins want Liza to fetch his slippers for him and perform other like tasks?
7. Why is Liza so upset in Act 4? What does she want to know?
8. Why is Pickering just as important to Liza's transformation as Higgins, if not more so? What is he able to teach her that Higgins could not?
9. What type of job does Liza propose to do in the final act? Why might she be better at this job than Higgins?
10. What does Pickering think about the evening? How do his feelings differ from Higgins's? How does he succeed in hurting Liza as well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism in the play.
Part 1) One of Liza's treasured possessions is a birdcage. Consider what a birdcage symbolizes in Liza's life. For instance, what imprisons Liza, and when does she ultimately become free? Examine in particular her conversations with Higgins in Acts 4 and 5.
Part 2) Higgins has a dish of chocolates on the piano. In Act 4, Liza puts her ring into the dish. Why does she do this? What do the chocolates and the ring symbolize for Liza?
Essay Topic 2
Critics of Shaw often comment that the servants in his plays have better sense than their masters. Write an essay in which you examine the role of Mrs. Pearce in the play, looking in particular at the way she argues with Higgins in Act 2 over what should be done with Liza. Does Mrs. Pearce have better sense than Higgins? Explain, using examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining the plot of Pygmalion. Tell what the central conflict of the play is and describe how it is developed throughout the plot. In your essay, describe and analyze all of the following plot elements:
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)