|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Liza meets Freddy in the street at the end of Act 4, where does she say she is going?
2. According to Higgins, what is Freddy?
3. What does Mrs. Higgins think when her son shows up for a social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
4. Where do Freddy and Liza go at the end of Act 4?
5. Who is Neppomuck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pickering just as important to Liza's transformation as Higgins, if not more so? What is he able to teach her that Higgins could not?
2. What does Liza say about marriage in Act 4? What does her statement reveal about her morals?
3. During the social visit with Mrs. Higgins and the Eynsford Hills, what does Liza say that is shocking?
4. How does Liza succeed in hurting Higgins in Act 4?
5. What happens to Doolittle in Act 5? Explain how Higgins is responsible.
6. Does Higgins really not care about Liza? How can you tell? What comments and reactions on Higgins's part show that he is growing fond of Eliza?
7. How does Liza finally come into her own as a woman at the end of Act 5?
8. What does Pickering think about the evening? How do his feelings differ from Higgins's? How does he succeed in hurting Liza as well?
9. How do Freddy and Clara feel about Liza after meeting her, and why do they probably feel this way?
10. What does Mrs. Higgins say when she learns the two men have phoned the police at the beginning of Act 5? What does Mrs. Higgins realize about Liza that the two men do not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay examining the attitudes toward love and marriage in the play.
Part 1) How does Shaw satirize, or make fun of, conventional attitudes toward love and marriage, for instance, through Higgins and Doolittle?
Part 2) What, according to Shaw in his Epilogue, is the balance of power men and women seek in marriage? What is an ideal marriage like?
Part 3) Why do some men never marry?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbolism in the play.
Part 1) One of Liza's treasured possessions is a birdcage. Consider what a birdcage symbolizes in Liza's life. For instance, what imprisons Liza, and when does she ultimately become free? Examine in particular her conversations with Higgins in Acts 4 and 5.
Part 2) Higgins has a dish of chocolates on the piano. In Act 4, Liza puts her ring into the dish. Why does she do this? What do the chocolates and the ring symbolize for Liza?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining the theme of manners in Pygmalion.
Part 1) Evaluate Higgins's statement from Act 5, "The secret is not having good manners or bad manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." What does he mean by this? Do you agree with him?
Part 2) Do you think Shaw agrees with him on the subject of manners? For instance, is there something honest about the rude way Higgins behaves, and something hypocritical about the "polite" manners of other people in the play?
Part 3) Which characters in the play behave the same to everyone, and which characters treat people differently depending on the class they belong to? Explain.
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)