|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 5, Doolittle reveals that he is miserable because certain people are hounding him. Who are these people, and why are they after Doolitttle?
2. For whom or what does Pickering say the evening has been a real triumph?
3. Who is delighted with Liza's "small talk" during the social visit with the Eynsford Hills in Act 3?
4. Why does the policeman stop Freddy and Liza?
5. What two subjects has Higgins told Liza she must stick to in polite conversation?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about feminism in Pygmalion. In the Epilogue to his play, Shaw quotes Nietzsche in saying, "When you go to women, take your whip with you." Does Shaw agree or disagree with this statement? Is he a sexist or a feminist, in your opinion? Explain, using evidence from the play. Consider in your essay his characterization of Liza, Clara, Mrs. Higgins, and Mrs. Pearce.
Essay Topic 2
In the Preface to Pygmalion, Shaw says that all great art should be didactic; that is, it should teach something. What does Shaw hope his play will teach people--both about language and about how reforming it might help society? Do you think the play is successful at communicating the intended message? Write an essay about this topic, using quotations from the Preface as well as from the rest of the play.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the character of Clara and her transformation in the play.
Part 1) How does Clara change in the course of the play, and why?
Part 2) How does Shaw satirize various foibles of society through Clara (for instance, snobbery and fads among young people)?
Part 3) How are we meant to view Clara? Is she a sympathetic figure, a ridiculous figure, or some mixture of both?
This section contains 2,081 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)