|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
2. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
3. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
5. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are shorthand methods inadequate for ordinary use?
2. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
3. What does the Flower Girl do at the end of Act 1 that shows she has a sense of pride and dignity about her?
4. What does Higgins do for the Flower Girl? What prompts him to do so? What does this act suggest about Higgins?
5. Describe Henry Sweet.
6. Who are some of the most important people in England, according to Shaw? Why do you think this is so, again, according to Shaw?
7. What does Freddy do at the beginning of Act 1 that shows poor manners?
8. What does Higgins think of the Flower Girl's accent? What humorous hyperbole does he use in speaking to her?
9. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
10. What does Higgins's housekeeper, Mrs. Pearce, think about the plan? Who seems to have a more sensible view of the situation, Higgins or Mrs. Pearce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the ending of Pygmalion.
Part 1) Considering the ending of the play, what do you think Shaw's attitude is toward the traditional "happy ending" of most romances?
Part 2) Why, according to Shaw, does his play not end the way most people might expect?
Part 3) Would the play be more satisfying if Liza had married Higgins instead of Freddy? Why, or why not?
Part 4) (optional) If you have seen it, you may consider the slightly different, more "Hollywood" ending in the movie version of the play, My Fair Lady. Compare the ending of the play with the ending of the movie. Which do you prefer, and why?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the theme of language in Pygmalion. At the end of the play, Alfred Doolittle says that he expects now he's going to have to learn to speak middle-class English instead of the "proper English" he normally uses. What is ironic about his statement? Is there really one "proper" way to speak English, in your opinion? What do you think Shaw's opinion is? If everyone speaks Doolittle's low-class English, would it be just as well as if everyone speaks like duchesses?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay examining the attitudes toward love and marriage in the play.
Part 1) How does Shaw satirize, or make fun of, conventional attitudes toward love and marriage, for instance, through Higgins and Doolittle?
Part 2) What, according to Shaw in his Epilogue, is the balance of power men and women seek in marriage? What is an ideal marriage like?
Part 3) Why do some men never marry?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)