|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Liza say she never did when she was a flower girl?
(a) Cry for love.
(b) Put herself on display like a bird in a cage.
(c) Sell herself for money.
(d) Obey a man.
2. What compliment does Higgins pay Liza during their discussion after the party?
(a) She's really rather clever--for a woman.
(b) She's not bad-looking.
(c) She's a great cook.
(d) She is a real lady now.
3. How is Mrs. Higgins portrayed?
(a) Adoring of her son, her only child.
(b) Elegant and sensible.
(c) Very controlling of her son.
(d) Silly and snobbish.
4. At the beginning of Act 5, Doolittle's life has changed. What must he now do?
(a) Teach phonetics at a new school for the poor.
(b) Go at once to America to work for Ezra Wannafeller.
(c) Give lectures about morality.
(d) Work hard as a laborer to support Liza.
5. Why does the policeman stop Freddy and Liza?
(a) He recognizes Liza as a flower girl.
(b) They are kissing in the street.
(c) He thinks Liza has stolen the jewels.
(d) Liza has dropped her handkerchief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Liza at the beginning of Act 5?
2. Where do Freddy and Liza go at the end of Act 4?
3. In the last part of Act 3, Higgins and Pickering take Liza for her final test. Where does this "test" take place?
4. For whom or what does Pickering say the evening has been a real triumph?
5. What does Freddy tell the officer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liza succeed in hurting Higgins in Act 4?
2. How does Liza finally come into her own as a woman at the end of Act 5?
3. Why is Pickering just as important to Liza's transformation as Higgins, if not more so? What is he able to teach her that Higgins could not?
4. Describe Neppomuck. Who is he, and what does Higgins think of him?
5. What does Liza ultimately think of the party and of her success at the end of Act 3?
6. During the social visit with Mrs. Higgins and the Eynsford Hills, what does Liza say that is shocking?
7. What does Higgins conclude about the evening and about their joint project at the beginning of Act 4? What does he say that hurts Liza's feelings?
8. Why is Liza so upset in Act 4? What does she want to know?
9. How does Freddy feel about Liza and what does he want from her? How is he different from Higgins?
10. Why is Doolittle unhappy with his new status? What is ironic about this?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)