|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shocking fact does Liza reveal about her father while talking with the Eynsford Hills in Act 3?
(a) He was never married to her mother.
(b) He may have murdered her aunt, but she deserved it.
(c) He used to beat Liza, but she says she deserved it.
(d) He has a chronic drinking problem, but it doesn't bother Liza at all.
2. Which best describes Liza's mood when the group first returns home from the party?
(b) Quietly triumphant.
(d) Tired and brooding.
3. Who comes looking for Higgins at the beginning of Act 5?
(a) Liza, demanding an apology.
(b) Liza's father, Doolittle.
(c) Freddy, to ask Liza's hand in marriage.
(d) The police, to ask him questions.
4. What is striking about Neppomuck's appearance?
(a) He has very dark, swarthy skin.
(b) He has a very hairy face.
(c) He is extremely large and burly.
(d) He is exceptionally handsome.
5. What do Pickering and Higgins say makes Liza a "genius"?
(a) She can remember all of Higgins's appointments and finds his slippers when he loses them.
(b) She knows exactly what to say in any social situation.
(c) She has a perfect ear and can imitate any sound she hears.
(d) She can charm anyone she meets instantly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liza do when she looks into the mirror?
2. Where is Liza at the beginning of Act 5?
3. What new skill does Liza have?
4. What does Higgins eat while he talks of Liza's future?
5. What does Neppomuck think must be Liza's true background?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Doolittle in Act 5? Explain how Higgins is responsible.
2. What does Higgins mean when he says that "my manners are exactly the same as Pickering's"? In what sense is he right? In what sense is he wrong?
3. How do Freddy and Clara feel about Liza after meeting her, and why do they probably feel this way?
4. What type of job does Liza propose to do in the final act? Why might she be better at this job than Higgins?
5. How does Higgins behave during the social visit? Explain. What does this "gentleman's" ungentlemanly behavior suggest about class differences?
6. Why is Pickering just as important to Liza's transformation as Higgins, if not more so? What is he able to teach her that Higgins could not?
7. What does Higgins conclude about the evening and about their joint project at the beginning of Act 4? What does he say that hurts Liza's feelings?
8. During the social visit with Mrs. Higgins and the Eynsford Hills, what does Liza say that is shocking?
9. How does Freddy feel about Liza and what does he want from her? How is he different from Higgins?
10. What does Higgins think Liza should do with her future? Does he really give it any thought?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)