|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 5, Doolittle reveals that he is miserable because certain people are hounding him. Who are these people, and why are they after Doolitttle?
(a) Creditors, asking him to pay his debts.
(b) The police, who think he is guilty of stealing the money.
(c) Women, who want to marry him.
(d) His relatives, asking for money.
2. Which best describes Liza's mood when the group first returns home from the party?
(b) Tired and brooding.
(c) Quietly triumphant.
3. What question does Liza have for Higgins after the party is over and they are back at Higgins's home?
(a) Will I ever be a real lady?
(b) Don't you think I'm beautiful?
(c) Who will ever marry someone like me?
(d) What's to become of me?
4. What does Mrs. Higgins think when her son shows up for a social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) She wants him to leave because he offends all her friends.
(b) She is delighted to see him and she always begs him to socialize more.
(c) She is delighted and she brags to all her friends about him.
(d) She wants to introduce him to some young ladies eligible for marriage.
5. What is the difference between a lady and a flower girl?
(a) Her moral values.
(b) How she speaks.
(c) How she's treated.
(d) How she behaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Liza think about the party?
2. What new skill does Liza have?
3. What upsets Higgins now that Liza is gone?
4. What is the main reason Higgins brings Liza to the social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
5. At the beginning of Act 5, Doolittle's life has changed. What must he now do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Doolittle in Act 5? Explain how Higgins is responsible.
2. What does Pickering think about the evening? How do his feelings differ from Higgins's? How does he succeed in hurting Liza as well?
3. What type of job does Liza propose to do in the final act? Why might she be better at this job than Higgins?
4. How does Higgins behave during the social visit? Explain. What does this "gentleman's" ungentlemanly behavior suggest about class differences?
5. How does Liza succeed in hurting Higgins in Act 4?
6. How does Freddy feel about Liza and what does he want from her? How is he different from Higgins?
7. Describe Neppomuck. Who is he, and what does Higgins think of him?
8. What does Higgins think Liza should do with her future? Does he really give it any thought?
9. What does Mrs. Higgins say when she learns the two men have phoned the police at the beginning of Act 5? What does Mrs. Higgins realize about Liza that the two men do not?
10. Why doesn't Higgins want Liza to fetch his slippers for him and perform other like tasks?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)