|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Higgins throw into the fire?
(a) The ring he bought Liza.
(b) His slippers.
(c) His phonetics books.
(d) Liza's treasured hat.
2. What does Mrs. Higgins think when her son shows up for a social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) She is delighted and she brags to all her friends about him.
(b) She wants to introduce him to some young ladies eligible for marriage.
(c) She wants him to leave because he offends all her friends.
(d) She is delighted to see him and she always begs him to socialize more.
3. What does Higgins say Liza might do next?
(a) Get married.
(b) Become a teacher of phonetics.
(c) Go back to her father.
(d) Open a jewelry shop.
4. What do Higgins and Pickering fear might happen at the end of Act 3 to spoil their bet?
(a) Neppomuck might figure out Liza's true background and create a scene.
(b) Liza might tell Neppomuck the truth.
(c) Neppomuck might tell the hosts about Higgins's bet.
(d) Liza might say curse words and create a scene.
5. What does Higgins offer to do for Liza at the end of the play?
(a) Adopt her as his daughter.
(b) Pay for her to go to school.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Get her a flower shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Liza have for Higgins after the party is over and they are back at Higgins's home?
2. What two subjects has Higgins told Liza she must stick to in polite conversation?
3. Who says, "I havnt any small talk. If people would only be frank and say what they really think!"
4. What does Higgins eat while he talks of Liza's future?
5. What shocking fact does Liza reveal about her father while talking with the Eynsford Hills in Act 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freddy feel about Liza and what does he want from her? How is he different from Higgins?
2. What does Pickering think about the evening? How do his feelings differ from Higgins's? How does he succeed in hurting Liza as well?
3. What does Higgins conclude about the evening and about their joint project at the beginning of Act 4? What does he say that hurts Liza's feelings?
4. How do Freddy and Clara feel about Liza after meeting her, and why do they probably feel this way?
5. How does Higgins behave during the social visit? Explain. What does this "gentleman's" ungentlemanly behavior suggest about class differences?
6. What does Liza say about marriage in Act 4? What does her statement reveal about her morals?
7. What does Mrs. Higgins say when she learns the two men have phoned the police at the beginning of Act 5? What does Mrs. Higgins realize about Liza that the two men do not?
8. Why is Pickering just as important to Liza's transformation as Higgins, if not more so? What is he able to teach her that Higgins could not?
9. How does Liza succeed in hurting Higgins in Act 4?
10. What does Liza ultimately think of the party and of her success at the end of Act 3?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)