|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Higgins say he will do if Liza doesn't come back?
(a) He doesn't care one way or the other.
(b) He will miss her.
(c) He will kill himself.
(d) He will forget her.
2. Where do Freddy and Liza go at the end of Act 4?
(a) To see Mrs. Higgins.
(b) To Covent Garden, where they see Liza's father.
(c) To the chapel to get married.
(d) They ride around the city all night.
3. Which of the following does Higgins call Liza in Act 4 when she bursts out in a rage at him?
(b) Screaming banshee.
(c) Presumptuous insect.
(d) Ungrateful vermin.
4. What do Pickering and Higgins say makes Liza a "genius"?
(a) She can remember all of Higgins's appointments and finds his slippers when he loses them.
(b) She has a perfect ear and can imitate any sound she hears.
(c) She can charm anyone she meets instantly.
(d) She knows exactly what to say in any social situation.
5. What is the main reason Higgins brings Liza to the social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) To allow his mother to meet her.
(b) To see if people really believe that she is a duchess.
(c) To announce their upcoming engagement.
(d) To give her practice in polite conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two subjects has Higgins told Liza she must stick to in polite conversation?
2. What does Higgins say about the experiment with Liza?
3. What does Liza think about the party?
4. What upsets Higgins now that Liza is gone?
5. What skill does Neppomuck have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Higgins want Liza to fetch his slippers for him and perform other like tasks?
2. Why is Liza so upset in Act 4? What does she want to know?
3. What does Pickering think about the evening? How do his feelings differ from Higgins's? How does he succeed in hurting Liza as well?
4. How does Liza finally come into her own as a woman at the end of Act 5?
5. What type of job does Liza propose to do in the final act? Why might she be better at this job than Higgins?
6. Describe Mrs. Higgins and her relationship with her son.
7. What does Higgins mean when he says that "my manners are exactly the same as Pickering's"? In what sense is he right? In what sense is he wrong?
8. Why is Pickering just as important to Liza's transformation as Higgins, if not more so? What is he able to teach her that Higgins could not?
9. During the social visit with Mrs. Higgins and the Eynsford Hills, what does Liza say that is shocking?
10. What does Higgins mean when he says that people are really "savages"?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)