|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Liza's father, Doolittle, upset with Higgins?
(a) He thinks Higgins has taken advantage of Liza.
(b) He thinks Higgins has kicked Liza out.
(c) Higgins has made him a respectable gentleman.
(d) Higgins has made him lose all his money.
2. To whom does Liza plan to go for advice the day after she leaves Higgins?
(a) Mrs. Higgins.
(b) Her father.
(d) Mrs. Pearce.
3. Who comes looking for Higgins at the beginning of Act 5?
(a) The police, to ask him questions.
(b) Liza's father, Doolittle.
(c) Liza, demanding an apology.
(d) Freddy, to ask Liza's hand in marriage.
4. What does Liza ask Higgins about her clothes?
(a) She asks him if he plans to burn them as he did with her old clothes.
(b) She asks whether they will be any good for her now.
(c) She wants to know if they belong to her or Pickering.
(d) She asks bitterly whether he finds them beautiful on a poor flower girl.
5. What upsets Higgins now that Liza is gone?
(a) He doesn't have anyone to find his slippers.
(b) He misses the sound of her voice.
(c) He needs her to cook his breakfast.
(d) He doesn't know what appointments he has.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the last part of Act 3, Higgins and Pickering take Liza for her final test. Where does this "test" take place?
2. How is Mrs. Higgins portrayed?
3. What do Pickering and Higgins say makes Liza a "genius"?
4. What is striking about Neppomuck's appearance?
5. Who says, "The secret is not having good manners or bad manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Higgins think Liza should do with her future? Does he really give it any thought?
2. Does Higgins really not care about Liza? How can you tell? What comments and reactions on Higgins's part show that he is growing fond of Eliza?
3. Why is Liza so upset in Act 4? What does she want to know?
4. What does Higgins mean when he says that people are really "savages"?
5. What does Pickering think about the evening? How do his feelings differ from Higgins's? How does he succeed in hurting Liza as well?
6. Why is Doolittle unhappy with his new status? What is ironic about this?
7. Why is Pickering just as important to Liza's transformation as Higgins, if not more so? What is he able to teach her that Higgins could not?
8. How does Liza succeed in hurting Higgins in Act 4?
9. What does Liza ultimately think of the party and of her success at the end of Act 3?
10. What does Liza say about marriage in Act 4? What does her statement reveal about her morals?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)