|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Freddy and Liza go at the end of Act 4?
(a) To see Mrs. Higgins.
(b) To the chapel to get married.
(c) They ride around the city all night.
(d) To Covent Garden, where they see Liza's father.
2. What does Liza say she never did when she was a flower girl?
(a) Sell herself for money.
(b) Obey a man.
(c) Put herself on display like a bird in a cage.
(d) Cry for love.
3. What does Higgins think is a disgusting sight?
(a) A woman fetching a man's slippers like a slave.
(b) A woman "s'yollin voylets" (selling violets) in the gutter.
(c) An ungrateful, snobbish woman.
(d) A woman shouting for independence.
4. What does Higgins think of Neppomuck?
(a) He is boring.
(b) He is a fool.
(c) He is a perfect companion for Liza.
(d) He is very clever, perhaps too clever.
5. Whom do Higgins and Pickering call on the phone when they find Liza missing?
(a) Liza's father.
(b) The police.
(c) Mrs. Eynsford Hill.
(d) Mrs. Higgins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Pickering afraid at the party?
2. What does Liza want from Higgins at the end of the play?
3. What does Liza say when she sees her father looking so different in Act 5?
4. What does Liza plan to do for money?
5. What compliment does Higgins pay Liza during their discussion after the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Higgins and her relationship with her son.
2. How does Freddy feel about Liza and what does he want from her? How is he different from Higgins?
3. What does Higgins mean when he says that people are really "savages"?
4. What does Higgins conclude about the evening and about their joint project at the beginning of Act 4? What does he say that hurts Liza's feelings?
5. What does Mrs. Higgins say when she learns the two men have phoned the police at the beginning of Act 5? What does Mrs. Higgins realize about Liza that the two men do not?
6. How does Higgins behave during the social visit? Explain. What does this "gentleman's" ungentlemanly behavior suggest about class differences?
7. What type of job does Liza propose to do in the final act? Why might she be better at this job than Higgins?
8. What does Liza say about marriage in Act 4? What does her statement reveal about her morals?
9. Why is Liza so upset in Act 4? What does she want to know?
10. Does Higgins really not care about Liza? How can you tell? What comments and reactions on Higgins's part show that he is growing fond of Eliza?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)