|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) She has bad teeth.
(b) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(c) She is very clean and neat.
(d) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
2. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
3. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(b) She lives in a slum.
(c) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(d) She is really a prostitute.
4. What is the Flower Girl selling?
5. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(b) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(c) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(d) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
2. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
3. On what basis do some English people despise others?
4. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
5. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Higgins do for the Flower Girl? What prompts him to do so? What does this act suggest about Higgins?
2. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
3. How are Clara and her mother different?
4. What should all great art be, according to Shaw? Do you agree? What does Shaw hope his play will teach?
5. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
6. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
7. What does Freddy do at the beginning of Act 1 that shows poor manners?
8. Describe Higgins.
9. What does Higgins boast that he can do for the Flower Girl?
10. Why does Liza's father come to see Higgins?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)