|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(b) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
(c) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
(d) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
2. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her cleverness.
(b) Her exceptional beauty.
(c) Her Cockney accent.
(d) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
3. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
(a) Someone steals it.
(b) It is knocked to the ground by Higgins.
(c) It is knocked to the ground by Freddy.
(d) The police seize it, saying she has no license to sell flowers.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(b) She is very clean and neat.
(c) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
(d) She has bad teeth.
5. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(b) She is really a prostitute.
(c) She lives in a slum.
(d) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
2. What is Liza's father's profession?
3. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
4. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
5. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry Sweet.
2. What would, in Shaw's opinion, be a prodigious advancement in the English language? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
3. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
4. Who are some of the most important people in England, according to Shaw? Why do you think this is so, again, according to Shaw?
5. What are three methods of phonetic shorthand that Shaw mentions in Pygmalion, and what are they used for?
6. Describe Higgins.
7. What does the Flower Girl do at the end of Act 1 that shows she has a sense of pride and dignity about her?
8. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
9. What does Higgins think of the Flower Girl's accent? What humorous hyperbole does he use in speaking to her?
10. What does Higgins do for the Flower Girl? What prompts him to do so? What does this act suggest about Higgins?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)