|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza has no underwear.
(b) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
(c) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
(d) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
2. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(b) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(c) It cannot be done in real life.
(d) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
3. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1870s.
(b) In the 1850s.
(c) Around 1910.
(d) Around 1890.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(c) Current Shorthand.
(d) A typewriter.
5. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
(a) She thinks he's spying on her for the police.
(b) He won't give her any money.
(c) He makes fun of her accent in front of everyone.
(d) He knocks over her basket of flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry Sweet?
2. What is Higgins the author of?
3. How old is the Flower Girl?
4. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
5. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Higgins think of the Flower Girl's accent? What humorous hyperbole does he use in speaking to her?
2. What would, in Shaw's opinion, be a prodigious advancement in the English language? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
3. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
4. Who are some of the most important people in England, according to Shaw? Why do you think this is so, again, according to Shaw?
5. Who is the note-taker, and what is he actually doing?
6. What should all great art be, according to Shaw? Do you agree? What does Shaw hope his play will teach?
7. What does Higgins boast that he can do for the Flower Girl?
8. Describe Higgins.
9. Why does the Flower Girl become upset at the note-taker? What is she most likely afraid of?
10. Describe Henry Sweet.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)