|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
(b) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
(c) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
(d) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
2. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Phonetic alphabets.
(b) Successful business organizations.
(c) Early dictaphones.
(d) Popular systems of shorthand.
3. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The consonants.
(b) The vowels and some consonants.
(c) The consonants and some vowels.
(d) The vowels.
4. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
(a) That Liza will marry the Duke and become a Duchess.
(b) That he can teach Liza to speak perfect English in three weeks.
(c) That he can pass Liza off as a lady at the ambassador's garden party.
(d) That he can seduce Liza and make her fall in love with him in three months.
5. What does an upside-down e represent?
(a) A vowel of indefinite sound.
(b) An uncommon vowel in English.
(c) It is a symbol of the uselessnesss of alphabets.
(d) It is similar to a question mark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sweet send Shaw?
2. What is Liza's father's profession?
3. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
4. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Of what does Mrs. Pearce warn Higgins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Higgins's housekeeper, Mrs. Pearce, think about the plan? Who seems to have a more sensible view of the situation, Higgins or Mrs. Pearce?
2. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
3. What does Freddy do at the beginning of Act 1 that shows poor manners?
4. What makes some English people despise others? What can we infer would solve this problem?
5. What does the Flower Girl do at the end of Act 1 that shows she has a sense of pride and dignity about her?
6. Why does the Flower Girl become upset at the note-taker? What is she most likely afraid of?
7. How does Higgins feel about women?
8. What does Higgins boast that he can do for the Flower Girl?
9. Who is the note-taker, and what is he actually doing?
10. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)