|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Higgins say about women?
(a) He has a hard time controlling himself around beautiful women.
(b) He thinks all women are silly creatures, like animals.
(c) He's happier without them and is a confirmed bachelor.
(d) He thinks men are superior to women and should tell them what to do.
2. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
(a) That he can teach Liza to speak perfect English in three weeks.
(b) That he can pass Liza off as a lady at the ambassador's garden party.
(c) That he can seduce Liza and make her fall in love with him in three months.
(d) That Liza will marry the Duke and become a Duchess.
3. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
(b) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
(c) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
(d) Liza has no underwear.
4. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
(a) Ten pounds.
(b) One hundred pounds.
(c) Fifty pounds.
(d) Five pounds.
5. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
(a) The electric lights.
(b) The draft from the window.
(c) A bath.
(d) Her father, if he finds out where she is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
2. How does Higgins make his money?
3. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
4. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
5. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes some English people despise others? What can we infer would solve this problem?
2. Why does the Flower Girl become upset at the note-taker? What is she most likely afraid of?
3. Why does Liza's father come to see Higgins?
4. Who is the Gentleman in the first act, and what do he and the note-taker have in common?
5. Describe Higgins.
6. What does Higgins boast that he can do for the Flower Girl?
7. Why are shorthand methods inadequate for ordinary use?
8. What bet does Pickering make with Higgins? Why does Higgins accept?
9. What would, in Shaw's opinion, be a prodigious advancement in the English language? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
10. What should all great art be, according to Shaw? Do you agree? What does Shaw hope his play will teach?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)