|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
(b) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
(c) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(d) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1870s.
(b) Around 1910.
(c) Around 1890.
(d) In the 1850s.
3. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
(b) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(c) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(d) It cannot be done in real life.
4. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
(a) Taking notes.
(b) Waiting for a taxicab.
(c) Spying on Liza.
(d) Hiding from the police.
5. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
(a) Filthy tramp.
(b) Idle-headed fool.
(c) Draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
(d) Foul-mouthed imp.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an upside-down e represent?
2. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
3. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
4. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
5. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Liza finally come into her own as a woman at the end of Act 5?
2. What does Higgins mean when he says that people are really "savages"?
3. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
4. How does Freddy feel about Liza and what does he want from her? How is he different from Higgins?
5. What type of job does Liza propose to do in the final act? Why might she be better at this job than Higgins?
6. Should readers and theatergoers imagine the life of Freddy and Liza with a fairytale ending? Why, or why not?
7. Why is Liza so upset in Act 4? What does she want to know?
8. Describe Liza's relationship with Higgins after her marriage.
9. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
10. What happens to Doolittle in Act 5? Explain how Higgins is responsible.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)