|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She is really a prostitute.
(b) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(c) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(d) She lives in a slum.
2. What is the Flower Girl selling?
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(b) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(c) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(d) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
4. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her Cockney accent.
(b) Her cleverness.
(c) Her exceptional beauty.
(d) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
5. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(b) Throw it away.
(c) Burn it at once.
(d) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
2. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
3. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
4. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
5. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Flower Girl.
2. What bet does Pickering make with Higgins? Why does Higgins accept?
3. What does Higgins's housekeeper, Mrs. Pearce, think about the plan? Who seems to have a more sensible view of the situation, Higgins or Mrs. Pearce?
4. How are Clara and her mother different?
5. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
6. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
7. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
8. Describe Higgins.
9. What should all great art be, according to Shaw? Do you agree? What does Shaw hope his play will teach?
10. What would, in Shaw's opinion, be a prodigious advancement in the English language? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)