|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
(b) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(c) It is written in a cryptic code.
(d) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
2. At which university does Sweet teach?
(b) The Imperial Institute in London.
3. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) Early morning, just before dawn.
(b) A dark and rainy night.
(c) A hot and sweltering day.
(d) A cold, wintry evening.
4. What happened to Liza's parents?
(a) She has no mother, and her father and stepmother kicked her out.
(b) They are too poor to take care of her, so she lives on her own.
(c) Her father is gone and her stepfather beats her.
(d) She has no parents; they are dead.
5. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
(a) That he can pass Liza off as a lady at the ambassador's garden party.
(b) That Liza will marry the Duke and become a Duchess.
(c) That he can seduce Liza and make her fall in love with him in three months.
(d) That he can teach Liza to speak perfect English in three weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Liza's father's profession?
2. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
3. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
5. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
2. Describe Henry Sweet.
3. How are Clara and her mother different?
4. What does Higgins think of the Flower Girl's accent? What humorous hyperbole does he use in speaking to her?
5. What bet does Pickering make with Higgins? Why does Higgins accept?
6. Describe Higgins.
7. Why does Liza's father come to see Higgins?
8. What are three methods of phonetic shorthand that Shaw mentions in Pygmalion, and what are they used for?
9. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
10. What does Higgins's housekeeper, Mrs. Pearce, think about the plan? Who seems to have a more sensible view of the situation, Higgins or Mrs. Pearce?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)