|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(a) New York.
2. What is Liza's father's profession?
(a) Trash collector.
(d) Taxicab driver.
3. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) A cold, wintry evening.
(b) A hot and sweltering day.
(c) A dark and rainy night.
(d) Early morning, just before dawn.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) A typewriter.
(d) Current Shorthand.
5. What makes Liza happy at the end of the evening?
(a) Higgins promises to give her lessons.
(b) Freddy is falling in love with her.
(c) Higgins gives her a pocketful of change.
(d) She sold all her flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
2. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
3. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
4. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
5. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Higgins.
2. Describe the Flower Girl.
3. What does Higgins think of the Flower Girl's accent? What humorous hyperbole does he use in speaking to her?
4. What does Higgins boast that he can do for the Flower Girl?
5. Who are some of the most important people in England, according to Shaw? Why do you think this is so, again, according to Shaw?
6. How are Clara and her mother different?
7. Who is the note-taker, and what is he actually doing?
8. Why does Liza's father come to see Higgins?
9. What should all great art be, according to Shaw? Do you agree? What does Shaw hope his play will teach?
10. What does Liza likely mean when she says "I'm a good girl, I am"? Why does she say this?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)