|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
(a) Help her open a flower shop.
(b) Return the money he took the night before.
(c) Make her into a duchess.
(d) Give her speech lessons.
2. How does Higgins make his money?
(a) He teaches people to speak with a proper accent.
(b) He is an inventor.
(c) He is a professor at Oxford.
(d) He writes plays.
3. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her Cockney accent.
(b) Her cleverness.
(c) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
(d) Her exceptional beauty.
4. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Help him get an article published.
(b) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
(c) Involve him in the theater.
(d) Get him a teaching position.
5. How is Henry Higgins described?
(a) He is thin and feeble, but has a strong scientific mind.
(b) He is young and handsome, but sloppy in his dress.
(c) He is elderly and distinguished, with the appearance of a scholar.
(d) He is about forty years old, strong and energetic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins say when he finds that Liza is not married?
2. What is Higgins the author of?
3. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
4. What does an upside-down e represent?
5. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
2. What makes some English people despise others? What can we infer would solve this problem?
3. Why does the Flower Girl become upset at the note-taker? What is she most likely afraid of?
4. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
5. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
6. Describe the Flower Girl.
7. What does Liza likely mean when she says "I'm a good girl, I am"? Why does she say this?
8. What bet does Pickering make with Higgins? Why does Higgins accept?
9. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
10. Who is the Gentleman in the first act, and what do he and the note-taker have in common?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)