|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
2. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
(a) Sociology, or the study of human social behavior.
(b) Dialects spoken in India.
(c) American and British slang.
(d) The psychology of poverty.
3. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Nobody; Higgins is alone.
(b) Liza Doolittle.
(d) Mrs. Pearce.
4. What does Higgins notice about Liza's father, Doolittle?
(a) He has a natural talent with language.
(b) He has the same horrible accent as Liza.
(c) Despite his poverty, he seems like an honest fellow.
(d) He seems cruel and conniving.
5. How does Higgins make his money?
(a) He is a professor at Oxford.
(b) He teaches people to speak with a proper accent.
(c) He writes plays.
(d) He is an inventor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
2. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
4. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are shorthand methods inadequate for ordinary use?
2. What makes some English people despise others? What can we infer would solve this problem?
3. What does Liza likely mean when she says "I'm a good girl, I am"? Why does she say this?
4. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
5. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
6. What does Higgins's housekeeper, Mrs. Pearce, think about the plan? Who seems to have a more sensible view of the situation, Higgins or Mrs. Pearce?
7. What bet does Pickering make with Higgins? Why does Higgins accept?
8. Describe the Flower Girl.
9. How are Clara and her mother different?
10. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)