|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza has no underwear.
(b) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
(c) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
(d) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
2. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her Cockney accent.
(b) Her exceptional beauty.
(c) Her cleverness.
(d) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
3. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A picture of her deceased mother.
(b) A birdcage.
(c) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(d) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
4. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
(a) Filthy tramp.
(b) Idle-headed fool.
(c) Draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
(d) Foul-mouthed imp.
5. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
(a) A bath.
(b) Her father, if he finds out where she is.
(c) The electric lights.
(d) The draft from the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
2. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
3. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
4. On what basis do some English people despise others?
5. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Higgins boast that he can do for the Flower Girl?
2. What are three methods of phonetic shorthand that Shaw mentions in Pygmalion, and what are they used for?
3. Why does the Flower Girl become upset at the note-taker? What is she most likely afraid of?
4. What should all great art be, according to Shaw? Do you agree? What does Shaw hope his play will teach?
5. What does Higgins do for the Flower Girl? What prompts him to do so? What does this act suggest about Higgins?
6. What would, in Shaw's opinion, be a prodigious advancement in the English language? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
7. Why are shorthand methods inadequate for ordinary use?
8. What does Freddy do at the beginning of Act 1 that shows poor manners?
9. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
10. What does Higgins think of the Flower Girl's accent? What humorous hyperbole does he use in speaking to her?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)