|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Spoken Sanscrit.
(b) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(c) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
(d) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
2. Of what does Mrs. Pearce warn Higgins?
(a) She warns him to be polite and not swear around Liza.
(b) She warns him that Liza's father may come for her.
(c) She warns him not to take sexual advantage of Liza.
(d) She warns him that Liza may be dishonest and should be watched carefully.
3. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
(b) Her cleverness.
(c) Her Cockney accent.
(d) Her exceptional beauty.
4. What makes Liza happy at the end of the evening?
(a) Freddy is falling in love with her.
(b) Higgins promises to give her lessons.
(c) She sold all her flowers.
(d) Higgins gives her a pocketful of change.
5. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
(a) It is knocked to the ground by Freddy.
(b) Someone steals it.
(c) The police seize it, saying she has no license to sell flowers.
(d) It is knocked to the ground by Higgins.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
2. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
3. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
4. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
5. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
2. What does the Flower Girl do at the end of Act 1 that shows she has a sense of pride and dignity about her?
3. What bet does Pickering make with Higgins? Why does Higgins accept?
4. Who are some of the most important people in England, according to Shaw? Why do you think this is so, again, according to Shaw?
5. What does Liza likely mean when she says "I'm a good girl, I am"? Why does she say this?
6. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
7. What are three methods of phonetic shorthand that Shaw mentions in Pygmalion, and what are they used for?
8. How are Clara and her mother different?
9. What does Higgins do for the Flower Girl? What prompts him to do so? What does this act suggest about Higgins?
10. Who is the note-taker, and what is he actually doing?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)