|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(b) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(c) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(d) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
2. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
(a) She uses the toothbrush to brush her hair.
(b) She thinks the toilet is for washing hands.
(c) She burns herself with the hot water in the bath.
(d) She thinks the bathtub is for washing clothes.
3. What is the Flower Girl selling?
4. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three weeks.
5. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
(a) He is young and dashing.
(b) He is dressed in a uniform.
(c) He is snobbish and rude.
(d) He is an elderly, military type.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
2. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
3. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
4. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
5. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three methods of phonetic shorthand that Shaw mentions in Pygmalion, and what are they used for?
2. What should all great art be, according to Shaw? Do you agree? What does Shaw hope his play will teach?
3. How are Clara and her mother different?
4. What makes some English people despise others? What can we infer would solve this problem?
5. What does Freddy do at the beginning of Act 1 that shows poor manners?
6. Why does the Flower Girl become upset at the note-taker? What is she most likely afraid of?
7. How does Higgins feel about women?
8. Why does Liza's father come to see Higgins?
9. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
10. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)