|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
(a) That he can teach Liza to speak perfect English in three weeks.
(b) That he can pass Liza off as a lady at the ambassador's garden party.
(c) That he can seduce Liza and make her fall in love with him in three months.
(d) That Liza will marry the Duke and become a Duchess.
2. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He despises it.
(b) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(c) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(d) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
3. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
(b) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
(c) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(d) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
(b) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(c) She has bad teeth.
(d) She is very clean and neat.
5. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
(b) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
(c) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
(d) Liza has no underwear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
2. What is Liza's father's profession?
3. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
4. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
5. What happened to Liza's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Shaw, is it important that people be trained scientifically to lose their accents, rather than simply learning by imitation?
2. What makes some English people despise others? What can we infer would solve this problem?
3. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
4. Why does Liza become upset when Mrs. Pearce takes her up for a bath? What does this incident show about Liza?
5. Who is the note-taker, and what is he actually doing?
6. Describe Higgins.
7. What bet does Pickering make with Higgins? Why does Higgins accept?
8. What does Higgins boast that he can do for the Flower Girl?
9. What does the Flower Girl do at the end of Act 1 that shows she has a sense of pride and dignity about her?
10. Describe Higgins's laboratory. What does it reveal about his character?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)