|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Higgins concerned about after meeting Liza at the social visit in Act 3?
(a) Whether her son will fall in love with Liza.
(b) Whether Liza will be able to pass as a lady.
(c) How many people Liza will offend with her shocking talk.
(d) What will happen to Liza when the experiment is over.
2. Which best describes Liza's mood when the group first returns home from the party?
(a) Tired and brooding.
(c) Quietly triumphant.
3. Why is Freddy waiting outside Higgins's house when Liza leaves Higgins?
(a) He wants to congratulate her on her success.
(b) He watches her window every night.
(c) To ask her to marry him.
(d) He is hoping she will run away with him.
4. What shocking thing does Liza tell her listeners at the social visit with the Eynsford Hills in Act 3?
(a) She is in love with Freddy.
(b) She believes her aunt was murdered over a hat.
(c) Her aunt caught diphtheria and died a horrible death.
(d) She is in love with Colonel Pickering.
5. Where do Freddy and Liza go at the end of Act 4?
(a) They ride around the city all night.
(b) To the chapel to get married.
(c) To Covent Garden, where they see Liza's father.
(d) To see Mrs. Higgins.
6. Why does the policeman stop Freddy and Liza?
(a) He recognizes Liza as a flower girl.
(b) Liza has dropped her handkerchief.
(c) He thinks Liza has stolen the jewels.
(d) They are kissing in the street.
7. What do Pickering and Higgins say makes Liza a "genius"?
(a) She can charm anyone she meets instantly.
(b) She has a perfect ear and can imitate any sound she hears.
(c) She can remember all of Higgins's appointments and finds his slippers when he loses them.
(d) She knows exactly what to say in any social situation.
8. What is the main reason Higgins brings Liza to the social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) To allow his mother to meet her.
(b) To announce their upcoming engagement.
(c) To give her practice in polite conversation.
(d) To see if people really believe that she is a duchess.
9. While talking with the Eynsford Hills at the social visit in Act 3, what does Higgins say all people really are?
(c) Equals under the sight of God.
10. What shocking fact does Liza reveal about her father while talking with the Eynsford Hills in Act 3?
(a) He used to beat Liza, but she says she deserved it.
(b) He was never married to her mother.
(c) He has a chronic drinking problem, but it doesn't bother Liza at all.
(d) He may have murdered her aunt, but she deserved it.
11. At the beginning of Act 5, Doolittle's life has changed. What must he now do?
(a) Go at once to America to work for Ezra Wannafeller.
(b) Work hard as a laborer to support Liza.
(c) Give lectures about morality.
(d) Teach phonetics at a new school for the poor.
12. To whom does Liza plan to go for advice the day after she leaves Higgins?
(a) Mrs. Higgins.
(b) Her father.
(c) Mrs. Pearce.
13. Why is Liza's father, Doolittle, upset with Higgins?
(a) He thinks Higgins has taken advantage of Liza.
(b) He thinks Higgins has kicked Liza out.
(c) Higgins has made him a respectable gentleman.
(d) Higgins has made him lose all his money.
14. What is striking about Neppomuck's appearance?
(a) He has a very hairy face.
(b) He is extremely large and burly.
(c) He has very dark, swarthy skin.
(d) He is exceptionally handsome.
15. What does Higgins throw into the fire?
(a) His phonetics books.
(b) Liza's treasured hat.
(c) His slippers.
(d) The ring he bought Liza.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins eat while he talks of Liza's future?
2. What does Higgins think of Liza at the end of Act 5?
3. What do Higgins and Pickering fear might happen at the end of Act 3 to spoil their bet?
4. What does Pickering want Liza to do at the end of Act 5?
5. For whom or what does Pickering say the evening has been a real triumph?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)