|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
(a) A meal.
(b) A shilling for the taxi.
(c) A handkerchief to wipe her nose with.
(d) A whack on the bum with a broomstick.
2. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
(a) Sweet only writes libelous articles against his fellow academics.
(b) Sweet has no interest in promoting his ideas to the public.
(c) Sweet looks down on the theater as unacademic.
(d) Sweet dies before he can see the play.
3. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(b) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(c) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
(d) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
4. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Six weeks.
5. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(c) To see Higgins.
(d) To jump in the river.
6. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(b) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(c) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(d) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
7. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
(a) Have a serious talk with her father.
(b) Change back into her old clothes since she feels uncomfortable this way.
(c) Go out and show off her new clothes.
(d) Start her lessons immediately.
8. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
(a) She thinks the toilet is for washing hands.
(b) She thinks the bathtub is for washing clothes.
(c) She uses the toothbrush to brush her hair.
(d) She burns herself with the hot water in the bath.
9. What does Sweet send Shaw?
10. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
11. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
(b) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(c) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(d) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
12. What makes Liza happy at the end of the evening?
(a) Higgins gives her a pocketful of change.
(b) She sold all her flowers.
(c) Freddy is falling in love with her.
(d) Higgins promises to give her lessons.
13. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
(b) She is very clean and neat.
(c) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(d) She has bad teeth.
14. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
(b) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(c) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(d) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
15. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
(a) Her father, if he finds out where she is.
(b) The draft from the window.
(c) The electric lights.
(d) A bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
2. How is Henry Higgins described?
3. How old is the Flower Girl?
4. To what does Higgins compare Liza?
5. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)