|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
(b) Liza has no underwear.
(c) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
(d) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
2. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(b) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(c) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(d) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
3. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(c) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(d) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
4. What happened to Liza's parents?
(a) Her father is gone and her stepfather beats her.
(b) She has no parents; they are dead.
(c) She has no mother, and her father and stepmother kicked her out.
(d) They are too poor to take care of her, so she lives on her own.
5. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) The editor of a monthly review.
(b) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
(c) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
(d) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
6. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(b) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(c) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(d) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
7. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(b) She lives in a slum.
(c) She is really a prostitute.
(d) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
8. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) In front of a church.
(b) In a park.
(c) At a theater.
(d) At a train station.
9. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
(a) The English are poor spellers.
(b) The English do not bother to learn other European languages.
(c) The English can't speak their own language properly.
(d) The English are snobs who look down on people who can't speak English.
10. What does Higgins say about women?
(a) He thinks men are superior to women and should tell them what to do.
(b) He's happier without them and is a confirmed bachelor.
(c) He thinks all women are silly creatures, like animals.
(d) He has a hard time controlling himself around beautiful women.
11. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(b) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(c) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(d) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
12. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) A taxicab.
(b) Tickets to the theater.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Flowers for his mother.
13. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(b) A picture of her deceased mother.
(c) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(d) A birdcage.
14. At which university does Sweet teach?
(b) The Imperial Institute in London.
15. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(b) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(c) He is an ill-natured man.
(d) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
2. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
3. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
4. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
5. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)