Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) One hundred pounds.
(c) Ten pounds.
(d) Fifty pounds.
2. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(b) It cannot be done in real life.
(c) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(d) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(b) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(c) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(d) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
4. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
(a) Foul-mouthed imp.
(b) Filthy tramp.
(c) Idle-headed fool.
(d) Draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
5. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
(a) The police seize it, saying she has no license to sell flowers.
(b) It is knocked to the ground by Freddy.
(c) Someone steals it.
(d) It is knocked to the ground by Higgins.
6. How does Liza feel about the bedroom she'll be staying in?
(a) She thinks it's too good and clean for the likes of her.
(b) She says it makes her feel like a duchess.
(c) She's amazed by its luxurious furnishings.
(d) She's not used to sleeping in a bed and it seems very strange to her.
7. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(b) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(c) They are shocked by her bad language.
(d) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
8. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) A playwright.
(b) An expert in Italian dialects.
(c) A phonetics expert.
(d) An opera singer.
9. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
(a) A meal.
(b) A shilling for the taxi.
(c) A handkerchief to wipe her nose with.
(d) A whack on the bum with a broomstick.
10. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A picture of her deceased mother.
(b) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(c) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(d) A birdcage.
11. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
(a) A chocolate.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A purse full of coins.
(d) New clothes.
12. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
(b) Burn it at once.
(c) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(d) Throw it away.
13. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(b) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(c) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(d) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
14. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Spoken Sanscrit.
(b) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
(c) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(d) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
15. What is the Flower Girl selling?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
2. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
3. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
4. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
5. What happened to Liza's parents?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)