|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(b) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(c) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(d) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
2. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(c) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
(d) Spoken Sanscrit.
3. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
(b) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(c) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
(d) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
4. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(d) New York.
5. How does Liza feel about the bedroom she'll be staying in?
(a) She's not used to sleeping in a bed and it seems very strange to her.
(b) She's amazed by its luxurious furnishings.
(c) She thinks it's too good and clean for the likes of her.
(d) She says it makes her feel like a duchess.
6. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
(a) Her father, if he finds out where she is.
(b) The draft from the window.
(c) A bath.
(d) The electric lights.
7. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
(b) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
(c) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
(d) A small, shabby room in an alley.
8. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
(b) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
(c) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
(d) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
9. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
(a) Foul-mouthed imp.
(b) Draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
(c) Filthy tramp.
(d) Idle-headed fool.
10. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) She is very clean and neat.
(b) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
(c) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(d) She has bad teeth.
11. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
12. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
(b) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(c) It cannot be done in real life.
(d) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
13. What is the Flower Girl selling?
14. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
(a) Make her into a duchess.
(b) Return the money he took the night before.
(c) Give her speech lessons.
(d) Help her open a flower shop.
15. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
(a) He can give her a proper education.
(b) He can make her a Duchess.
(c) He can teach her to speak properly.
(d) He can make her rich.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
2. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
3. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
4. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
5. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)