|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(c) Spoken Sanscrit.
(d) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
2. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Get him a teaching position.
(b) Involve him in the theater.
(c) Help him get an article published.
(d) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
3. At which university does Sweet teach?
(d) The Imperial Institute in London.
4. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Successful business organizations.
(b) Popular systems of shorthand.
(c) Early dictaphones.
(d) Phonetic alphabets.
5. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
(b) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
(c) Liza has no underwear.
(d) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
6. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(b) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(c) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(d) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
7. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
(b) A London patriarch.
(c) The inventor of the telephone.
(d) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
8. What makes Liza happy at the end of the evening?
(a) She sold all her flowers.
(b) Higgins gives her a pocketful of change.
(c) Freddy is falling in love with her.
(d) Higgins promises to give her lessons.
9. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
10. What does Higgins say about women?
(a) He thinks all women are silly creatures, like animals.
(b) He thinks men are superior to women and should tell them what to do.
(c) He's happier without them and is a confirmed bachelor.
(d) He has a hard time controlling himself around beautiful women.
11. What can Higgins guess about people?
(a) Their age.
(b) What their job is.
(c) Their secret desires and dreams.
(d) Where they are from.
12. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(b) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(c) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(d) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
13. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(b) They are shocked by her bad language.
(c) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(d) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
14. How is Henry Higgins described?
(a) He is young and handsome, but sloppy in his dress.
(b) He is about forty years old, strong and energetic.
(c) He is thin and feeble, but has a strong scientific mind.
(d) He is elderly and distinguished, with the appearance of a scholar.
15. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1870s.
(b) Around 1890.
(c) In the 1850s.
(d) Around 1910.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
2. Who is Henry Sweet?
3. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
4. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
5. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)