|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
(b) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(c) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
(d) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
2. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Burn it at once.
(b) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
(c) Throw it away.
(d) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
3. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(b) New York.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) A typewriter.
(d) Current Shorthand.
5. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
(b) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
(c) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
(d) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
6. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
(b) Mrs. Pearce.
(c) Nobody; Higgins is alone.
(d) Liza Doolittle.
7. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(b) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(c) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
8. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
(a) How to read the works of Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) How to behave like a perfect lady.
(c) How to hold a cup of tea.
(d) How to say her alphabet properly.
9. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(b) A birdcage.
(c) A picture of her deceased mother.
(d) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
10. How old is the Flower Girl?
(a) She has just turned twenty-one.
(b) She is about eighteen or twenty.
(c) She is only fourteen or fifteen.
(d) She is "sweet sixteen."
11. What happened to Liza's parents?
(a) She has no parents; they are dead.
(b) She has no mother, and her father and stepmother kicked her out.
(c) Her father is gone and her stepfather beats her.
(d) They are too poor to take care of her, so she lives on her own.
12. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
(a) She heard the women call him by that name.
(b) She doesn't; she calls all young men "Freddy" or "Charlie."
(c) She has seen him somewhere before.
(d) They are secretly lovers.
13. What does Higgins say when he finds that Liza is not married?
(a) She will marry a duke.
(b) He will marry her himself.
(c) Nobody would want to marry the likes of her.
(d) Men will soon be dying for her.
14. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She is really a prostitute.
(b) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(c) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(d) She lives in a slum.
15. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He is an ill-natured man.
(b) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(c) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(d) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins notice about Liza's father, Doolittle?
2. On what basis do some English people despise others?
3. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
4. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
5. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)