|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(b) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(c) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(d) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
2. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(b) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(c) They are shocked by her bad language.
(d) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
3. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(b) Spoken Sanscrit.
(c) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(d) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
4. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
(b) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
(c) A small, shabby room in an alley.
(d) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) She has bad teeth.
(b) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
(c) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(d) She is very clean and neat.
6. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
(a) He won't give her any money.
(b) He knocks over her basket of flowers.
(c) She thinks he's spying on her for the police.
(d) He makes fun of her accent in front of everyone.
7. What does Higgins say when he finds that Liza is not married?
(a) Men will soon be dying for her.
(b) He will marry her himself.
(c) She will marry a duke.
(d) Nobody would want to marry the likes of her.
8. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(b) A birdcage.
(c) A picture of her deceased mother.
(d) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
9. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(b) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(c) To win love.
(d) To become teachers.
10. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her Cockney accent.
(b) Her cleverness.
(c) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
(d) Her exceptional beauty.
11. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
(a) American and British slang.
(b) Sociology, or the study of human social behavior.
(c) The psychology of poverty.
(d) Dialects spoken in India.
12. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
13. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
(b) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(c) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(d) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
14. What happened to Liza's parents?
(a) She has no mother, and her father and stepmother kicked her out.
(b) They are too poor to take care of her, so she lives on her own.
(c) She has no parents; they are dead.
(d) Her father is gone and her stepfather beats her.
15. What is NOT one of Henry Higgins's faults?
(a) He is willing to be malicious and cruel in order to get ahead.
(b) He is careless about other people's feelings.
(c) He sometimes has tantrums when things go wrong.
(d) He can be a bully.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
2. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
3. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
4. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
5. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)