|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her cleverness.
(b) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
(c) Her exceptional beauty.
(d) Her Cockney accent.
2. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
(a) A chocolate.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A purse full of coins.
(d) New clothes.
3. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
(b) A London patriarch.
(c) The inventor of the telephone.
(d) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
4. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
(a) Idle-headed fool.
(b) Filthy tramp.
(c) Draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
(d) Foul-mouthed imp.
5. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
(a) A shilling for the taxi.
(b) A meal.
(c) A handkerchief to wipe her nose with.
(d) A whack on the bum with a broomstick.
6. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
(a) Dialects spoken in India.
(b) American and British slang.
(c) The psychology of poverty.
(d) Sociology, or the study of human social behavior.
7. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(b) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(c) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(d) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
8. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
(b) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(c) Burn it at once.
(d) Throw it away.
9. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(b) A typewriter.
(d) Current Shorthand.
10. At which university does Sweet teach?
(b) The Imperial Institute in London.
11. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
(a) Have a serious talk with her father.
(b) Start her lessons immediately.
(c) Go out and show off her new clothes.
(d) Change back into her old clothes since she feels uncomfortable this way.
12. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(b) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(c) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
(d) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
13. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(b) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(c) He is an ill-natured man.
(d) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
14. What does Higgins say when he finds that Liza is not married?
(a) Nobody would want to marry the likes of her.
(b) He will marry her himself.
(c) Men will soon be dying for her.
(d) She will marry a duke.
15. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
(b) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
(c) A small, shabby room in an alley.
(d) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what basis do some English people despise others?
2. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
3. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
4. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)