|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) Around 1890.
(b) In the 1850s.
(c) In the 1870s.
(d) Around 1910.
2. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
(b) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
(c) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
(d) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
3. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
(a) Waiting for a taxicab.
(b) Taking notes.
(c) Spying on Liza.
(d) Hiding from the police.
4. What does Sweet send Shaw?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) She has bad teeth.
(b) She is very clean and neat.
(c) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(d) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
6. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
(a) She thinks the bathtub is for washing clothes.
(b) She burns herself with the hot water in the bath.
(c) She thinks the toilet is for washing hands.
(d) She uses the toothbrush to brush her hair.
7. What is NOT one of Henry Higgins's faults?
(a) He is willing to be malicious and cruel in order to get ahead.
(b) He can be a bully.
(c) He is careless about other people's feelings.
(d) He sometimes has tantrums when things go wrong.
8. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
(a) New clothes.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A chocolate.
(d) A purse full of coins.
9. What happened to Liza's parents?
(a) Her father is gone and her stepfather beats her.
(b) She has no parents; they are dead.
(c) They are too poor to take care of her, so she lives on her own.
(d) She has no mother, and her father and stepmother kicked her out.
10. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
(a) He can make her rich.
(b) He can make her a Duchess.
(c) He can teach her to speak properly.
(d) He can give her a proper education.
11. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(b) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(c) To win love.
(d) To become teachers.
12. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(b) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(c) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(d) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
13. How is Henry Higgins described?
(a) He is elderly and distinguished, with the appearance of a scholar.
(b) He is young and handsome, but sloppy in his dress.
(c) He is thin and feeble, but has a strong scientific mind.
(d) He is about forty years old, strong and energetic.
14. What does Higgins say when he finds that Liza is not married?
(a) Men will soon be dying for her.
(b) He will marry her himself.
(c) She will marry a duke.
(d) Nobody would want to marry the likes of her.
15. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
(a) Give her speech lessons.
(b) Make her into a duchess.
(c) Help her open a flower shop.
(d) Return the money he took the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
2. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
3. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
4. What is Higgins the author of?
5. What is the Flower Girl selling?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)