|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
(b) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(d) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) Around 1910.
(b) In the 1870s.
(c) In the 1850s.
(d) Around 1890.
3. To what does Higgins compare Liza?
(a) A flower in the mud.
(b) A squashed cabbage-leaf.
(c) The Queen of Sheba.
(d) A diamond in the rough.
4. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The consonants.
(b) The vowels and some consonants.
(c) The vowels.
(d) The consonants and some vowels.
5. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) A chocolate.
(c) New clothes.
(d) A purse full of coins.
6. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(b) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
7. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) In front of a church.
(b) At a theater.
(c) In a park.
(d) At a train station.
8. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
(a) The draft from the window.
(b) The electric lights.
(c) A bath.
(d) Her father, if he finds out where she is.
9. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six months.
10. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) A dark and rainy night.
(b) Early morning, just before dawn.
(c) A cold, wintry evening.
(d) A hot and sweltering day.
11. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is not legible.
(b) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
(c) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
(d) It is very difficult to learn.
12. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Liza Doolittle.
(b) Mrs. Pearce.
(c) Nobody; Higgins is alone.
13. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
(a) Sweet dies before he can see the play.
(b) Sweet only writes libelous articles against his fellow academics.
(c) Sweet looks down on the theater as unacademic.
(d) Sweet has no interest in promoting his ideas to the public.
14. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) An opera singer.
(b) A phonetics expert.
(c) A playwright.
(d) An expert in Italian dialects.
15. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
(a) Spend it all immediately on a drinking spree.
(b) Keep it for Liza.
(c) Buy something for his wife.
(d) Save it and use it wisely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
2. How does Higgins make his money?
3. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
4. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
5. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)