|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Liza's father's profession?
(a) Trash collector.
(c) Taxicab driver.
2. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
(b) It is written in a cryptic code.
(c) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
(d) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
3. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(b) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
4. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) An expert in Italian dialects.
(b) An opera singer.
(c) A playwright.
(d) A phonetics expert.
5. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
(b) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
(c) A small, shabby room in an alley.
(d) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
6. What can Higgins guess about people?
(a) What their job is.
(b) Where they are from.
(c) Their secret desires and dreams.
(d) Their age.
7. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) At a theater.
(b) In front of a church.
(c) In a park.
(d) At a train station.
8. What makes Liza happy at the end of the evening?
(a) Higgins gives her a pocketful of change.
(b) She sold all her flowers.
(c) Freddy is falling in love with her.
(d) Higgins promises to give her lessons.
9. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Burn it at once.
(b) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(c) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
(d) Throw it away.
10. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Six months.
11. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
12. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
(a) Dialects spoken in India.
(b) Sociology, or the study of human social behavior.
(c) The psychology of poverty.
(d) American and British slang.
13. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(b) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(c) It cannot be done in real life.
(d) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
14. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Help him get an article published.
(b) Get him a teaching position.
(c) Involve him in the theater.
(d) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
15. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
(b) The editor of a monthly review.
(c) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
(d) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
2. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
3. What does an upside-down e represent?
4. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)