|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
(a) Fifty pounds.
(b) One hundred pounds.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) Ten pounds.
2. What is Liza's father's profession?
(b) Trash collector.
(d) Taxicab driver.
3. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
(a) He knocks over her basket of flowers.
(b) He makes fun of her accent in front of everyone.
(c) She thinks he's spying on her for the police.
(d) He won't give her any money.
4. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She lives in a slum.
(b) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(c) She is really a prostitute.
(d) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
5. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(b) It is written in a cryptic code.
(c) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
(d) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
6. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(b) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(c) A picture of her deceased mother.
(d) A birdcage.
7. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
(a) Sweet dies before he can see the play.
(b) Sweet looks down on the theater as unacademic.
(c) Sweet has no interest in promoting his ideas to the public.
(d) Sweet only writes libelous articles against his fellow academics.
8. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
(a) Draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
(b) Filthy tramp.
(c) Idle-headed fool.
(d) Foul-mouthed imp.
9. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(b) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(c) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(d) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
10. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Early dictaphones.
(b) Phonetic alphabets.
(c) Successful business organizations.
(d) Popular systems of shorthand.
11. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) A hot and sweltering day.
(b) A dark and rainy night.
(c) A cold, wintry evening.
(d) Early morning, just before dawn.
12. How is Henry Higgins described?
(a) He is thin and feeble, but has a strong scientific mind.
(b) He is young and handsome, but sloppy in his dress.
(c) He is elderly and distinguished, with the appearance of a scholar.
(d) He is about forty years old, strong and energetic.
13. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
(a) Save it and use it wisely.
(b) Spend it all immediately on a drinking spree.
(c) Keep it for Liza.
(d) Buy something for his wife.
14. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(b) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(c) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(d) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
15. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(b) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(c) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
(d) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Flower Girl selling?
2. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
3. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
4. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
5. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)