|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
(a) She thinks he's spying on her for the police.
(b) He won't give her any money.
(c) He knocks over her basket of flowers.
(d) He makes fun of her accent in front of everyone.
2. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
(a) One hundred pounds.
(b) Fifty pounds.
(c) Five pounds.
(d) Ten pounds.
3. What is NOT one of Henry Higgins's faults?
(a) He is willing to be malicious and cruel in order to get ahead.
(b) He sometimes has tantrums when things go wrong.
(c) He is careless about other people's feelings.
(d) He can be a bully.
4. What is Liza's father's profession?
(c) Trash collector.
(d) Taxicab driver.
5. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Help him get an article published.
(b) Involve him in the theater.
(c) Get him a teaching position.
(d) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
6. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To become teachers.
(b) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(c) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(d) To win love.
7. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
(a) The English are poor spellers.
(b) The English can't speak their own language properly.
(c) The English do not bother to learn other European languages.
(d) The English are snobs who look down on people who can't speak English.
8. What does an upside-down e represent?
(a) An uncommon vowel in English.
(b) A vowel of indefinite sound.
(c) It is similar to a question mark.
(d) It is a symbol of the uselessnesss of alphabets.
9. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) Tickets to the theater.
(b) A taxicab.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Flowers for his mother.
10. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The vowels and some consonants.
(b) The vowels.
(c) The consonants and some vowels.
(d) The consonants.
11. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
(b) It is not legible.
(c) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
(d) It is very difficult to learn.
12. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
13. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza has no underwear.
(b) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
(c) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
(d) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
14. What does Higgins say about women?
(a) He thinks men are superior to women and should tell them what to do.
(b) He thinks all women are silly creatures, like animals.
(c) He's happier without them and is a confirmed bachelor.
(d) He has a hard time controlling himself around beautiful women.
15. How does Liza feel about the bedroom she'll be staying in?
(a) She's amazed by its luxurious furnishings.
(b) She's not used to sleeping in a bed and it seems very strange to her.
(c) She says it makes her feel like a duchess.
(d) She thinks it's too good and clean for the likes of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
2. What is Higgins the author of?
3. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
4. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
5. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)