|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(b) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
(c) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
(d) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(b) She is very clean and neat.
(c) She has bad teeth.
(d) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
3. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
(a) Help her open a flower shop.
(b) Give her speech lessons.
(c) Make her into a duchess.
(d) Return the money he took the night before.
4. What does an upside-down e represent?
(a) It is a symbol of the uselessnesss of alphabets.
(b) An uncommon vowel in English.
(c) A vowel of indefinite sound.
(d) It is similar to a question mark.
5. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
(a) The psychology of poverty.
(b) Sociology, or the study of human social behavior.
(c) American and British slang.
(d) Dialects spoken in India.
6. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
7. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six months.
8. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
9. How does Higgins make his money?
(a) He teaches people to speak with a proper accent.
(b) He writes plays.
(c) He is a professor at Oxford.
(d) He is an inventor.
10. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) Someone to love.
(b) A taxicab.
(c) Flowers for his mother.
(d) Tickets to the theater.
11. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(b) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(c) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(d) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
12. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A picture of her deceased mother.
(b) A birdcage.
(c) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(d) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
13. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(b) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(c) They are shocked by her bad language.
(d) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
14. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
(b) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(c) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
(d) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
15. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
(b) Get him a teaching position.
(c) Involve him in the theater.
(d) Help him get an article published.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
2. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
3. On what basis do some English people despise others?
4. What is Higgins the author of?
5. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)