|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They are shocked by her bad language.
(b) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(c) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(d) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
2. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(c) New York.
3. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1850s.
(b) Around 1910.
(c) In the 1870s.
(d) Around 1890.
4. Of what does Mrs. Pearce warn Higgins?
(a) She warns him that Liza's father may come for her.
(b) She warns him to be polite and not swear around Liza.
(c) She warns him not to take sexual advantage of Liza.
(d) She warns him that Liza may be dishonest and should be watched carefully.
5. What does Higgins say when he finds that Liza is not married?
(a) Men will soon be dying for her.
(b) He will marry her himself.
(c) She will marry a duke.
(d) Nobody would want to marry the likes of her.
6. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her cleverness.
(b) Her exceptional beauty.
(c) Her Cockney accent.
(d) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
7. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) At a train station.
(b) At a theater.
(c) In front of a church.
(d) In a park.
8. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
(a) A chocolate.
(b) A purse full of coins.
(c) New clothes.
(d) A diamond ring.
9. What makes Liza happy at the end of the evening?
(a) Higgins promises to give her lessons.
(b) She sold all her flowers.
(c) Higgins gives her a pocketful of change.
(d) Freddy is falling in love with her.
10. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(b) He is an ill-natured man.
(c) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(d) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
11. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
(a) Go out and show off her new clothes.
(b) Start her lessons immediately.
(c) Have a serious talk with her father.
(d) Change back into her old clothes since she feels uncomfortable this way.
12. How does Liza feel about the bedroom she'll be staying in?
(a) She's not used to sleeping in a bed and it seems very strange to her.
(b) She thinks it's too good and clean for the likes of her.
(c) She says it makes her feel like a duchess.
(d) She's amazed by its luxurious furnishings.
13. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
(a) She is wearing a black sailor hat.
(b) Her hair needs to be brushed.
(c) She is very clean and neat.
(d) She has bad teeth.
14. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(b) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
(c) It is written in a cryptic code.
(d) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
15. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The consonants.
(b) The vowels and some consonants.
(c) The vowels.
(d) The consonants and some vowels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
2. To what does Higgins compare Liza?
3. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
4. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
5. At which university does Sweet teach?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)