|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(b) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(c) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(d) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
2. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(c) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(d) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
3. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
(a) A shilling for the taxi.
(b) A handkerchief to wipe her nose with.
(c) A whack on the bum with a broomstick.
(d) A meal.
4. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(b) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(c) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(d) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
5. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) Nobody; Higgins is alone.
(b) Mrs. Pearce.
(c) Liza Doolittle.
6. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
(b) The inventor of the telephone.
(c) A London patriarch.
(d) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
7. How does Higgins make his money?
(a) He teaches people to speak with a proper accent.
(b) He is a professor at Oxford.
(c) He is an inventor.
(d) He writes plays.
8. What is the Flower Girl selling?
9. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) A typewriter.
(d) Current Shorthand.
10. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(d) New York.
11. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) Tickets to the theater.
(b) A taxicab.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Flowers for his mother.
12. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(b) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
(c) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(d) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
13. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Throw it away.
(b) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(c) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
(d) Burn it at once.
14. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Get him a teaching position.
(b) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
(c) Help him get an article published.
(d) Involve him in the theater.
15. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(b) She is really a prostitute.
(c) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(d) She lives in a slum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
2. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
3. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
4. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
5. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)