|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Mrs. Pearce?
(a) Liza has no underwear.
(b) Liza never wears pajamas; she sleeps in her underwear.
(c) Liza's clothing is torn and dirty.
(d) Liza has only one change of clothing to her name.
2. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) Flowers for his mother.
(b) A taxicab.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Tickets to the theater.
3. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
(a) Have a serious talk with her father.
(b) Change back into her old clothes since she feels uncomfortable this way.
(c) Start her lessons immediately.
(d) Go out and show off her new clothes.
4. What is the Flower Girl selling?
5. What does Higgins notice about Liza's father, Doolittle?
(a) He has the same horrible accent as Liza.
(b) He seems cruel and conniving.
(c) Despite his poverty, he seems like an honest fellow.
(d) He has a natural talent with language.
6. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
7. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(c) A typewriter.
(d) Current Shorthand.
8. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
9. On what basis do some English people despise others?
(a) Their accents or dialects of English.
(b) Whether they are foreign or native-born citizens.
(c) Their socioeconomic class.
(d) Their level of education.
10. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
(a) Five pounds.
(b) Ten pounds.
(c) One hundred pounds.
(d) Fifty pounds.
11. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
(b) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
(c) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
(d) A small, shabby room in an alley.
12. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
(a) He is an elderly, military type.
(b) He is snobbish and rude.
(c) He is dressed in a uniform.
(d) He is young and dashing.
13. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
(a) She thinks the bathtub is for washing clothes.
(b) She uses the toothbrush to brush her hair.
(c) She thinks the toilet is for washing hands.
(d) She burns herself with the hot water in the bath.
14. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her exceptional beauty.
(b) Her Cockney accent.
(c) Her cleverness.
(d) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
15. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(b) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(c) They are shocked by her bad language.
(d) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sweet send Shaw?
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
3. How old is the Flower Girl?
4. What does an upside-down e represent?
5. How is Henry Higgins described?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)