|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) In front of a church.
(b) At a train station.
(c) At a theater.
(d) In a park.
2. What happened to Liza's parents?
(a) She has no mother, and her father and stepmother kicked her out.
(b) She has no parents; they are dead.
(c) Her father is gone and her stepfather beats her.
(d) They are too poor to take care of her, so she lives on her own.
3. What is NOT one of Henry Higgins's faults?
(a) He sometimes has tantrums when things go wrong.
(b) He can be a bully.
(c) He is willing to be malicious and cruel in order to get ahead.
(d) He is careless about other people's feelings.
4. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(b) A birdcage.
(c) A picture of her deceased mother.
(d) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
5. What does Higgins say about women?
(a) He thinks men are superior to women and should tell them what to do.
(b) He's happier without them and is a confirmed bachelor.
(c) He has a hard time controlling himself around beautiful women.
(d) He thinks all women are silly creatures, like animals.
6. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
(a) How to hold a cup of tea.
(b) How to read the works of Shakespeare and Milton.
(c) How to say her alphabet properly.
(d) How to behave like a perfect lady.
7. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) It is written in a cryptic code.
(b) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(c) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
(d) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
8. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
(a) Buy something for his wife.
(b) Save it and use it wisely.
(c) Keep it for Liza.
(d) Spend it all immediately on a drinking spree.
9. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(b) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(c) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
10. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(b) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(c) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(d) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
11. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Successful business organizations.
(b) Early dictaphones.
(c) Phonetic alphabets.
(d) Popular systems of shorthand.
12. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
(b) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
(c) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
(d) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
13. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She lives in a slum.
(b) She is really a prostitute.
(c) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(d) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
14. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(d) New York.
15. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
(a) That Liza will marry the Duke and become a Duchess.
(b) That he can pass Liza off as a lady at the ambassador's garden party.
(c) That he can teach Liza to speak perfect English in three weeks.
(d) That he can seduce Liza and make her fall in love with him in three months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an upside-down e represent?
2. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
3. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
4. What does Higgins notice about Liza's father, Doolittle?
5. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)