|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) A taxicab.
(b) Tickets to the theater.
(c) Someone to love.
(d) Flowers for his mother.
2. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Burn it at once.
(b) Throw it away.
(c) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(d) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
3. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
(b) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
(c) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
(d) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
4. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
(a) A whack on the bum with a broomstick.
(b) A shilling for the taxi.
(c) A handkerchief to wipe her nose with.
(d) A meal.
5. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) In front of a church.
(b) At a theater.
(c) At a train station.
(d) In a park.
6. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
(a) Ten pounds.
(b) Five pounds.
(c) Fifty pounds.
(d) One hundred pounds.
7. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(b) To win love.
(c) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(d) To become teachers.
8. What is Liza's father's profession?
(a) Taxicab driver.
(d) Trash collector.
9. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
(b) A London patriarch.
(c) The inventor of the telephone.
(d) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
10. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(b) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
(c) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
(d) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
11. To what does Higgins compare Liza?
(a) A flower in the mud.
(b) A diamond in the rough.
(c) A squashed cabbage-leaf.
(d) The Queen of Sheba.
12. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
(a) Idle-headed fool.
(b) Draggle-tailed guttersnipe.
(c) Foul-mouthed imp.
(d) Filthy tramp.
13. How does Higgins make his money?
(a) He writes plays.
(b) He is an inventor.
(c) He is a professor at Oxford.
(d) He teaches people to speak with a proper accent.
14. What does Higgins say about women?
(a) He thinks all women are silly creatures, like animals.
(b) He has a hard time controlling himself around beautiful women.
(c) He thinks men are superior to women and should tell them what to do.
(d) He's happier without them and is a confirmed bachelor.
15. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(b) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(c) A birdcage.
(d) A picture of her deceased mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
2. What does Higgins tempt Liza with just as she is about to leave?
3. On what basis do some English people despise others?
4. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
5. What does Higgins notice about Liza's father, Doolittle?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)