|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(b) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(c) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(d) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
2. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) Spoken Sanscrit.
(c) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(d) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
3. How does Liza feel about the bedroom she'll be staying in?
(a) She's not used to sleeping in a bed and it seems very strange to her.
(b) She's amazed by its luxurious furnishings.
(c) She thinks it's too good and clean for the likes of her.
(d) She says it makes her feel like a duchess.
4. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
(a) They are secretly lovers.
(b) She has seen him somewhere before.
(c) She heard the women call him by that name.
(d) She doesn't; she calls all young men "Freddy" or "Charlie."
5. What makes Liza happy at the end of the evening?
(a) Higgins gives her a pocketful of change.
(b) Freddy is falling in love with her.
(c) She sold all her flowers.
(d) Higgins promises to give her lessons.
6. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
(a) Save it and use it wisely.
(b) Spend it all immediately on a drinking spree.
(c) Keep it for Liza.
(d) Buy something for his wife.
7. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Successful business organizations.
(b) Early dictaphones.
(c) Phonetic alphabets.
(d) Popular systems of shorthand.
8. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) At a theater.
(b) In a park.
(c) At a train station.
(d) In front of a church.
9. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(c) A typewriter.
(d) Current Shorthand.
10. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(b) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(c) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(d) They are shocked by her bad language.
11. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(b) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
(c) It is written in a cryptic code.
(d) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
12. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
(a) A bath.
(b) The draft from the window.
(c) The electric lights.
(d) Her father, if he finds out where she is.
13. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(c) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(d) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
14. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Burn it at once.
(b) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(c) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
(d) Throw it away.
15. What is the Flower Girl selling?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
2. How much money does Doolittle demand from Higgins in exchange for his daughter?
3. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
4. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
5. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)