Short Essay Questions
The 60 short essay questions listed in this section require a one to two sentence answer. They ask students to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the text. Students must describe what they've read, rather than just recall it.
Short Essay Question - Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics
1. Why does the English language need to be reformed, according to Shaw?
2. What makes some English people despise others? What can we infer would solve this problem?
3. Who are Alexander Melville Bell, Alexander J. Ellis, Tito Pagliardini, and Henry Sweet, and why are they heroes to Shaw?
4. Describe Henry Sweet.
5. What are three methods of phonetic shorthand that Shaw mentions in Pygmalion, and what are they used for?
6. Why are shorthand methods inadequate...
This section contains 1,071 words|
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)