Short Answer Questions
Directions: Answer each question with the appropriate short response.
Short Answer Questions - Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics
1. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
2. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
3. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
4. On what basis do some English people despise others?
5. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
6. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
7. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
8. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
9. Who is Henry Sweet?
10. At which university does Sweet teach?
11. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
This section contains 1,908 words|
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)