|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
(b) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
(c) A small, shabby room in an alley.
(d) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
2. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(b) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(c) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(d) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
3. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(b) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(d) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
4. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(b) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
5. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
(a) The English are snobs who look down on people who can't speak English.
(b) The English are poor spellers.
(c) The English do not bother to learn other European languages.
(d) The English can't speak their own language properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins eat while he talks of Liza's future?
2. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
3. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
4. Who is Neppomuck?
5. What is Liza afraid will kill her?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)