|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(b) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(c) To win love.
(d) To become teachers.
2. What does Higgins notice about Liza's father, Doolittle?
(a) He seems cruel and conniving.
(b) Despite his poverty, he seems like an honest fellow.
(c) He has the same horrible accent as Liza.
(d) He has a natural talent with language.
3. What does Liza do when she looks into the mirror?
(a) Bursts into tears.
(b) Breaks into a self-satisfied smile.
(c) Screams in rage.
(d) Sticks her tongue out at herself.
4. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(b) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(c) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(d) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
5. What does Higgins eat while he talks of Liza's future?
(b) An apple.
(d) A pear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
2. Which best describes the first scene?
3. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
4. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
5. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)