|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
(a) Give her speech lessons.
(b) Make her into a duchess.
(c) Return the money he took the night before.
(d) Help her open a flower shop.
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) Around 1910.
(b) Around 1890.
(c) In the 1870s.
(d) In the 1850s.
3. What does Mrs. Higgins think when her son shows up for a social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) She is delighted and she brags to all her friends about him.
(b) She wants to introduce him to some young ladies eligible for marriage.
(c) She wants him to leave because he offends all her friends.
(d) She is delighted to see him and she always begs him to socialize more.
4. What is the main reason Higgins brings Liza to the social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) To allow his mother to meet her.
(b) To see if people really believe that she is a duchess.
(c) To announce their upcoming engagement.
(d) To give her practice in polite conversation.
5. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) A playwright.
(b) An opera singer.
(c) An expert in Italian dialects.
(d) A phonetics expert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
2. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
3. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
4. What does Liza say she doesn't want to be accused of?
5. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)