|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1850s.
(b) Around 1910.
(c) Around 1890.
(d) In the 1870s.
2. Why does the policeman stop Freddy and Liza?
(a) He recognizes Liza as a flower girl.
(b) He thinks Liza has stolen the jewels.
(c) They are kissing in the street.
(d) Liza has dropped her handkerchief.
3. What is Mrs. Higgins concerned about after meeting Liza at the social visit in Act 3?
(a) What will happen to Liza when the experiment is over.
(b) How many people Liza will offend with her shocking talk.
(c) Whether Liza will be able to pass as a lady.
(d) Whether her son will fall in love with Liza.
4. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(b) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(c) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(d) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
5. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
(b) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(c) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(d) It cannot be done in real life.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
2. What is the main reason Higgins brings Liza to the social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
3. What is Higgins the author of?
4. What insulting term does Higgins use to describe Liza in Act 2?
5. What does the ambassador's wife think of Liza?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)