|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(b) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
(c) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(d) He is an ill-natured man.
2. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) A typewriter.
(c) Current Shorthand.
3. How is Henry Higgins described?
(a) He is thin and feeble, but has a strong scientific mind.
(b) He is about forty years old, strong and energetic.
(c) He is elderly and distinguished, with the appearance of a scholar.
(d) He is young and handsome, but sloppy in his dress.
4. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(b) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
(c) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
(d) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
5. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
(a) Throw it away.
(b) Wash it in boiling water to kill the mites.
(c) Sew it so that it doesn't look so raggedy.
(d) Burn it at once.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
2. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
3. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
4. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
5. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)