|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(b) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(c) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(d) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
2. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Get him a teaching position.
(b) Help him get an article published.
(c) Involve him in the theater.
(d) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
3. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
(a) Change back into her old clothes since she feels uncomfortable this way.
(b) Have a serious talk with her father.
(c) Go out and show off her new clothes.
(d) Start her lessons immediately.
4. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(c) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
5. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
(b) The editor of a monthly review.
(c) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
(d) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Henry Higgins described?
2. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
3. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
4. Which best describes the first scene?
5. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)