|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(b) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(c) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(d) They are shocked by her bad language.
2. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(b) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
(c) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(d) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
3. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) An opera singer.
(b) A phonetics expert.
(c) An expert in Italian dialects.
(d) A playwright.
4. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(b) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(c) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
(d) It cannot be done in real life.
5. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
(b) Help him get an article published.
(c) Get him a teaching position.
(d) Involve him in the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
2. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
3. At which university does Sweet teach?
4. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)