|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(b) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(c) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(d) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
2. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(b) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(c) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(d) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
3. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
(b) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(c) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(d) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
4. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
(a) How to read the works of Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) How to behave like a perfect lady.
(c) How to hold a cup of tea.
(d) How to say her alphabet properly.
5. When Liza comes to see Higgins in Act 2, what does she ask him to do?
(a) Return the money he took the night before.
(b) Help her open a flower shop.
(c) Give her speech lessons.
(d) Make her into a duchess.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
2. How is Henry Higgins described?
3. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
4. What does Higgins notice about Liza's father, Doolittle?
5. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)