|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(b) A typewriter.
(c) Current Shorthand.
2. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
(a) She thinks the bathtub is for washing clothes.
(b) She uses the toothbrush to brush her hair.
(c) She burns herself with the hot water in the bath.
(d) She thinks the toilet is for washing hands.
3. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) Around 1890.
(b) In the 1870s.
(c) Around 1910.
(d) In the 1850s.
4. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
(a) Sweet looks down on the theater as unacademic.
(b) Sweet only writes libelous articles against his fellow academics.
(c) Sweet dies before he can see the play.
(d) Sweet has no interest in promoting his ideas to the public.
5. At the end of Act 2, Higgins is shown teaching Liza a lesson. What specifically does Higgins teach Liza?
(a) How to read the works of Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) How to say her alphabet properly.
(c) How to behave like a perfect lady.
(d) How to hold a cup of tea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
2. Which best describes the first scene?
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
4. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
5. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)