|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(b) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(c) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(d) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
2. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
(a) That he can teach Liza to speak perfect English in three weeks.
(b) That Liza will marry the Duke and become a Duchess.
(c) That he can seduce Liza and make her fall in love with him in three months.
(d) That he can pass Liza off as a lady at the ambassador's garden party.
3. What happened to Liza's parents?
(a) She has no mother, and her father and stepmother kicked her out.
(b) They are too poor to take care of her, so she lives on her own.
(c) Her father is gone and her stepfather beats her.
(d) She has no parents; they are dead.
4. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
(b) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
(c) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
(d) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
5. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) A taxicab.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) Flowers for his mother.
(d) Tickets to the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an upside-down e represent?
2. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Higgins say about women?
4. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
5. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)