|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(b) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(c) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
2. What does an upside-down e represent?
(a) An uncommon vowel in English.
(b) It is a symbol of the uselessnesss of alphabets.
(c) A vowel of indefinite sound.
(d) It is similar to a question mark.
3. What does Higgins give Liza in Act 2 when she begins to cry?
(a) A shilling for the taxi.
(b) A meal.
(c) A whack on the bum with a broomstick.
(d) A handkerchief to wipe her nose with.
4. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(b) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(c) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
(d) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
5. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
(b) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(c) He is an ill-natured man.
(d) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
2. What does Higgins ask Mrs. Pearce to do with Liza's clothing?
3. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
4. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
5. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)