|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(b) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
(c) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(d) He is an ill-natured man.
2. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
(b) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
(c) The editor of a monthly review.
(d) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
3. How is Henry Higgins described?
(a) He is thin and feeble, but has a strong scientific mind.
(b) He is elderly and distinguished, with the appearance of a scholar.
(c) He is young and handsome, but sloppy in his dress.
(d) He is about forty years old, strong and energetic.
4. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Spoken Sanscrit.
(b) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
(c) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(d) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
5. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(b) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(c) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(d) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
2. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
3. What does Doolittle promise to do with the money?
4. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
5. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)