|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
(b) The inventor of the telephone.
(c) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
(d) A London patriarch.
2. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(b) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(c) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(d) He despises it.
3. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(c) New York.
4. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) In front of a church.
(b) In a park.
(c) At a train station.
(d) At a theater.
5. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(b) He is an ill-natured man.
(c) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(d) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does an upside-down e represent?
2. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
3. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
4. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
5. What happened to Liza's parents?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)