|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mistake does Liza make in the bathroom?
(a) She thinks the bathtub is for washing clothes.
(b) She uses the toothbrush to brush her hair.
(c) She thinks the toilet is for washing hands.
(d) She burns herself with the hot water in the bath.
2. For how long will Liza stay with Higgins as his pupil?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Six weeks.
3. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(b) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(c) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(d) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) A typewriter.
(c) Current Shorthand.
5. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They are shocked by her bad language.
(b) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(c) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(d) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
2. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
3. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
4. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
5. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)