|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(c) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
2. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
3. To what does Higgins compare Liza?
(a) A flower in the mud.
(b) The Queen of Sheba.
(c) A diamond in the rough.
(d) A squashed cabbage-leaf.
4. At which university does Sweet teach?
(b) The Imperial Institute in London.
5. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
(b) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(c) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
(d) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
2. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
3. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
4. Who is Henry Sweet?
5. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)