|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
(b) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(c) It cannot be done in real life.
(d) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
2. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
(b) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
(c) A small, shabby room in an alley.
(d) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
3. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
(a) American and British slang.
(b) Sociology, or the study of human social behavior.
(c) The psychology of poverty.
(d) Dialects spoken in India.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(b) A typewriter.
(c) Current Shorthand.
5. What can Higgins guess about people?
(a) Where they are from.
(b) Their age.
(c) Their secret desires and dreams.
(d) What their job is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
2. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
4. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
5. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)