|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(c) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
2. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(c) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(d) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
3. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(b) A picture of her deceased mother.
(c) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(d) A birdcage.
4. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
(a) She heard the women call him by that name.
(b) They are secretly lovers.
(c) She has seen him somewhere before.
(d) She doesn't; she calls all young men "Freddy" or "Charlie."
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1850s.
(b) Around 1910.
(c) Around 1890.
(d) In the 1870s.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
2. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
3. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
4. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
5. How does Higgins make his money?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)