|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(b) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(c) They are shocked by her bad language.
(d) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1850s.
(b) Around 1910.
(c) Around 1890.
(d) In the 1870s.
3. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her Cockney accent.
(b) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
(c) Her exceptional beauty.
(d) Her cleverness.
4. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(b) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(c) A picture of her deceased mother.
(d) A birdcage.
5. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(c) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Higgins guess about people?
2. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
4. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
5. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)