|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
(b) To jump in the river.
(c) Buckingham Palace.
(d) To see Higgins.
2. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
(b) It is not legible.
(c) It is very difficult to learn.
(d) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
(b) Help him get an article published.
(c) Involve him in the theater.
(d) Get him a teaching position.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) Current Shorthand.
(c) A typewriter.
5. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
(a) Flowers for his mother.
(b) Someone to love.
(c) A taxicab.
(d) Tickets to the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
2. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
3. Which best describes the first scene?
4. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
5. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)