|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which university does Sweet teach?
(d) The Imperial Institute in London.
2. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
(a) Hiding from the police.
(b) Waiting for a taxicab.
(c) Taking notes.
(d) Spying on Liza.
3. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her cleverness.
(b) Her exceptional beauty.
(c) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
(d) Her Cockney accent.
4. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(b) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
5. On what basis do some English people despise others?
(a) Their level of education.
(b) Whether they are foreign or native-born citizens.
(c) Their socioeconomic class.
(d) Their accents or dialects of English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
2. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
3. What does Sweet send Shaw?
4. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
5. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)