|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
(b) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(c) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(d) Spoken Sanscrit.
2. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
(a) Waiting for a taxicab.
(b) Taking notes.
(c) Hiding from the police.
(d) Spying on Liza.
3. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
(b) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
(c) A London patriarch.
(d) The inventor of the telephone.
4. What does Sweet send Shaw?
5. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(b) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(c) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
(d) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
2. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
3. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
4. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
5. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)