|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
(b) A London patriarch.
(c) The inventor of the telephone.
(d) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
2. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
(a) She thinks he's spying on her for the police.
(b) He won't give her any money.
(c) He makes fun of her accent in front of everyone.
(d) He knocks over her basket of flowers.
3. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The consonants and some vowels.
(b) The vowels and some consonants.
(c) The vowels.
(d) The consonants.
4. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
(a) Taking notes.
(b) Hiding from the police.
(c) Waiting for a taxicab.
(d) Spying on Liza.
5. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her Cockney accent.
(b) Her exceptional beauty.
(c) Her cleverness.
(d) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what basis do some English people despise others?
2. How does Higgins make his money?
3. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
4. What can Higgins guess about people?
5. What does Sweet send Shaw?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)