|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(b) To become teachers.
(c) To win love.
(d) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
2. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
(b) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
(c) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
(d) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
3. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(b) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(c) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(d) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
4. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) A hot and sweltering day.
(b) A dark and rainy night.
(c) A cold, wintry evening.
(d) Early morning, just before dawn.
5. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The vowels and some consonants.
(b) The vowels.
(c) The consonants.
(d) The consonants and some vowels.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
2. To what does Higgins compare Liza?
3. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
4. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
5. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)