|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
(b) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(c) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
(d) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
2. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She is really a prostitute.
(b) She lives in a slum.
(c) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(d) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
3. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(c) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(d) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
4. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(b) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(c) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
(d) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
5. What does an upside-down e represent?
(a) It is similar to a question mark.
(b) An uncommon vowel in English.
(c) A vowel of indefinite sound.
(d) It is a symbol of the uselessnesss of alphabets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
2. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
3. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
4. How does Higgins make his money?
5. What is Higgins the author of?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)