|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which university does Sweet teach?
(b) The Imperial Institute in London.
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1850s.
(b) In the 1870s.
(c) Around 1910.
(d) Around 1890.
3. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
4. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The consonants.
(b) The vowels.
(c) The consonants and some vowels.
(d) The vowels and some consonants.
5. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
(a) He won't give her any money.
(b) He makes fun of her accent in front of everyone.
(c) He knocks over her basket of flowers.
(d) She thinks he's spying on her for the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
2. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
4. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
5. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)