|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sweet send Shaw?
2. On what basis do some English people despise others?
(a) Their socioeconomic class.
(b) Their level of education.
(c) Their accents or dialects of English.
(d) Whether they are foreign or native-born citizens.
3. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
(b) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(c) It cannot be done in real life.
(d) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
4. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is not legible.
(b) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
(c) It is very difficult to learn.
(d) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
Short Answer Questions
1. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
2. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
3. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
4. What does an upside-down e represent?
5. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)