|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which university does Sweet teach?
(c) The Imperial Institute in London.
2. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
(b) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(c) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
(d) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
3. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(b) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(c) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(d) He despises it.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(b) Current Shorthand.
(d) A typewriter.
5. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
(b) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(c) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(d) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
2. On what basis do some English people despise others?
3. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
4. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
5. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)