|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sweet send Shaw?
2. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(b) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(c) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(d) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
3. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) The editor of a monthly review.
(b) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
(c) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
(d) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
4. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
(b) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
(c) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(d) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
5. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(b) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(c) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(d) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
2. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
4. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
5. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)