|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(b) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(c) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
(d) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
2. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To win love.
(b) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(c) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(d) To become teachers.
3. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(b) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(c) It cannot be done in real life.
(d) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
4. What does Sweet send Shaw?
5. At which university does Sweet teach?
(a) The Imperial Institute in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
2. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
3. Who is Henry Sweet?
4. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
5. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)