|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(b) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(c) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(d) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
2. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(b) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(c) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(d) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
3. At which university does Sweet teach?
(a) The Imperial Institute in London.
4. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(b) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(d) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
5. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) A playwright.
(b) An opera singer.
(c) A phonetics expert.
(d) An expert in Italian dialects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
3. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
4. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
5. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)