|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
2. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) An expert in Italian dialects.
(b) An opera singer.
(c) A phonetics expert.
(d) A playwright.
3. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(b) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(c) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
(d) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
4. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(b) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(c) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(d) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
5. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The vowels and some consonants.
(b) The consonants.
(c) The consonants and some vowels.
(d) The vowels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
3. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
4. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
5. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)