|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
(b) It is very difficult to learn.
(c) It is not legible.
(d) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
2. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(b) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(d) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
3. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(b) He is an ill-natured man.
(c) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
(d) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
4. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) A phonetics expert.
(b) An expert in Italian dialects.
(c) An opera singer.
(d) A playwright.
5. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To win love.
(b) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(c) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(d) To become teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what basis do some English people despise others?
2. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
3. At which university does Sweet teach?
4. What does an upside-down e represent?
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)