|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(b) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(c) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(d) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
2. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(b) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(c) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(d) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
3. At which university does Sweet teach?
(d) The Imperial Institute in London.
4. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) A phonetics expert.
(b) A playwright.
(c) An opera singer.
(d) An expert in Italian dialects.
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
2. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
3. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
4. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
5. Who is Henry Sweet?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)