|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(b) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(c) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
(d) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1850s.
(b) In the 1870s.
(c) Around 1890.
(d) Around 1910.
3. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
(b) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(c) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(d) He is an ill-natured man.
4. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He despises it.
(b) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(c) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(d) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
2. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
3. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
4. Who is Henry Sweet?
5. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)