|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(b) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
2. What does Sweet send Shaw?
3. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The vowels.
(b) The consonants and some vowels.
(c) The vowels and some consonants.
(d) The consonants.
4. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
(b) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(c) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(d) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
5. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
(b) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(d) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
2. What does an upside-down e represent?
3. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
4. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
5. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)