|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
(b) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(c) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(d) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
2. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(b) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(c) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(d) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
3. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(c) A typewriter.
(d) Current Shorthand.
4. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(b) To win love.
(c) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
(d) To become teachers.
5. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(b) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(c) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(d) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
2. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
4. What does an upside-down e represent?
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)