|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be made as phonetic as Spanish.
(b) Standardized spelling should disregarded as unnecessary; people should simply sound out words and apply the approximate phonetic spelling.
(c) It should be simplified to get rid of silent letters.
(d) It should be emphasized more in school so that everyone can learn to spell correctly.
2. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) An expert in Italian dialects.
(b) A phonetics expert.
(c) A playwright.
(d) An opera singer.
3. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(b) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(c) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(d) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
4. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The vowels and some consonants.
(b) The vowels.
(c) The consonants and some vowels.
(d) The consonants.
5. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(b) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
2. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
3. On what basis do some English people despise others?
4. What does Sweet send Shaw?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)