|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
(a) Sweet has no interest in promoting his ideas to the public.
(b) Sweet dies before he can see the play.
(c) Sweet looks down on the theater as unacademic.
(d) Sweet only writes libelous articles against his fellow academics.
2. What does Sweet send Shaw?
3. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He despises it.
(b) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(c) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(d) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
4. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(c) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(d) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
5. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(b) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(c) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(d) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
2. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
3. What does an upside-down e represent?
4. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
5. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)