|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) The inventor of the telephone.
(b) A London patriarch.
(c) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
(d) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
2. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Early dictaphones.
(b) Popular systems of shorthand.
(c) Successful business organizations.
(d) Phonetic alphabets.
3. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
(b) It is very difficult to learn.
(c) It is not legible.
(d) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
4. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(b) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(d) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
5. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
(b) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(c) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(d) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
2. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
4. Who is Henry Sweet?
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)