|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(b) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(c) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
(d) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
2. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) A playwright.
(b) An expert in Italian dialects.
(c) An opera singer.
(d) A phonetics expert.
3. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(b) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(c) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(d) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
4. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) The editor of a monthly review.
(b) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
(c) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
(d) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
5. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is very difficult to learn.
(b) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
(c) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
(d) It is not legible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
2. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
4. At which university does Sweet teach?
5. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)