|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
(b) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(c) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
(d) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
2. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
(b) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
(c) The editor of a monthly review.
(d) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
3. At which university does Sweet teach?
(d) The Imperial Institute in London.
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) Current Shorthand.
(b) A typewriter.
5. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
(b) Help him get an article published.
(c) Get him a teaching position.
(d) Involve him in the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
2. What does an upside-down e represent?
3. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
4. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
5. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)