|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
2. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(b) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(c) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(d) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
3. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He despises it.
(b) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(c) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(d) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
4. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
(b) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(c) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(d) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
5. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
(a) The English can't speak their own language properly.
(b) The English are snobs who look down on people who can't speak English.
(c) The English do not bother to learn other European languages.
(d) The English are poor spellers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Henry Sweet?
2. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
3. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
4. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
5. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)