|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
(a) It is extremely successful on stage, and he hopes to make a movie of it.
(b) It is extremely successful in America, but not in Europe.
(c) It is extremely successful in Europe, and he hopes to make it so in America.
(d) It is extremely successful on stage and screen all over North America and Europe.
2. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(b) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(c) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(d) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Help him get an article published.
(b) Involve him in the theater.
(c) Get him a teaching position.
(d) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
4. What does Sweet send Shaw?
5. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(b) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
(c) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(d) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
2. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
3. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
4. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)