|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
(a) A typewriter.
(b) Current Shorthand.
2. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
(b) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(c) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
(d) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
3. Who is Henry Sweet?
(a) A high official who popularized the subject of phonetics.
(b) A phonetics expert whom Shaw admired.
(c) The editor of a monthly review.
(d) A sweet-tempered professor of language and literature.
4. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(b) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(c) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(d) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
5. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
(a) Sweet has no interest in promoting his ideas to the public.
(b) Sweet dies before he can see the play.
(c) Sweet looks down on the theater as unacademic.
(d) Sweet only writes libelous articles against his fellow academics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
2. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
3. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
4. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
5. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)