|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Preface to Pygmalion. A Professor of Phonetics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which university does Sweet teach?
(b) The Imperial Institute in London.
2. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
3. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(b) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(c) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(d) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
4. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The vowels and some consonants.
(b) The consonants and some vowels.
(c) The consonants.
(d) The vowels.
5. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
(b) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(c) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(d) He despises it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
2. Who is Henry Sweet?
3. What does Sweet send Shaw?
4. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
5. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)