|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(b) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(c) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
(d) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
2. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
(b) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(d) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
3. What do Pickering and Higgins say makes Liza a "genius"?
(a) She can charm anyone she meets instantly.
(b) She knows exactly what to say in any social situation.
(c) She can remember all of Higgins's appointments and finds his slippers when he loses them.
(d) She has a perfect ear and can imitate any sound she hears.
4. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
(a) The English can't speak their own language properly.
(b) The English are poor spellers.
(c) The English are snobs who look down on people who can't speak English.
(d) The English do not bother to learn other European languages.
5. Why is Pickering afraid at the party?
(a) Liza makes a mistake when she says a shocking word.
(b) Liza is playing the part too well.
(c) Neppomuck is on the verge of discovering the truth about Liza.
(d) The ambassador's wife asks too many questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Higgins call Liza in Act 4 when she bursts out in a rage at him?
2. Who is in Higgins's laboratory with Higgins at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Liza want to do after her bath?
4. What shocking thing does Liza tell her listeners at the social visit with the Eynsford Hills in Act 3?
5. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)