|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the strange man (Higgins) doing behind the pillar?
(a) Spying on Liza.
(b) Taking notes.
(c) Waiting for a taxicab.
(d) Hiding from the police.
2. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
(b) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
(c) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(d) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
3. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(b) She is really a prostitute.
(c) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(d) She lives in a slum.
4. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(b) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(c) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(d) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
5. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) A hot and sweltering day.
(b) Early morning, just before dawn.
(c) A cold, wintry evening.
(d) A dark and rainy night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
2. What can Higgins guess about people?
3. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
4. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
5. What does Sweet send Shaw?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)