|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
(a) Her ability to survive on the tough urban streets.
(b) Her cleverness.
(c) Her Cockney accent.
(d) Her exceptional beauty.
2. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
(a) Buckingham Palace.
(c) To see Higgins.
(d) To jump in the river.
3. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
(a) He can give her a proper education.
(b) He can make her a Duchess.
(c) He can teach her to speak properly.
(d) He can make her rich.
4. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
(a) The psychology of poverty.
(b) Sociology, or the study of human social behavior.
(c) American and British slang.
(d) Dialects spoken in India.
5. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(b) He is an ill-natured man.
(c) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(d) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
2. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
3. What is the Flower Girl selling?
4. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
5. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)