|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
(a) She doesn't; she calls all young men "Freddy" or "Charlie."
(b) She heard the women call him by that name.
(c) She has seen him somewhere before.
(d) They are secretly lovers.
2. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
(a) At a train station.
(b) At a theater.
(c) In front of a church.
(d) In a park.
3. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
(a) A small, shabby room in an alley.
(b) She sleeps in a suburban kitchen with a fireplace.
(c) She is homeless and sleeps in an alley.
(d) A dirty shack she shares with her whole family.
4. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Phonetic alphabets.
(b) Successful business organizations.
(c) Popular systems of shorthand.
(d) Early dictaphones.
5. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is very difficult to learn.
(b) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
(c) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
(d) It is not legible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
2. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
3. What does Sweet send Shaw?
4. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)