|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
(b) It is written in a cryptic code.
(c) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(d) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
2. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
(a) He can teach her to speak properly.
(b) He can give her a proper education.
(c) He can make her rich.
(d) He can make her a Duchess.
3. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
(a) He thinks it is brilliant and uses it as a model.
(b) He never knows of it because he dies before it is invented.
(c) He despises it.
(d) He doesn't like it because it is not phonetic.
4. On what basis do some English people despise others?
(a) Their socioeconomic class.
(b) Whether they are foreign or native-born citizens.
(c) Their accents or dialects of English.
(d) Their level of education.
5. What does Sweet send Shaw?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
2. How does Higgins make his money?
3. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
4. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
5. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)