|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
(c) Spoken Sanscrit.
(d) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
2. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(b) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(c) A birdcage.
(d) A picture of her deceased mother.
3. On what basis do some English people despise others?
(a) Their accents or dialects of English.
(b) Whether they are foreign or native-born citizens.
(c) Their socioeconomic class.
(d) Their level of education.
4. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
(a) The police seize it, saying she has no license to sell flowers.
(b) It is knocked to the ground by Higgins.
(c) It is knocked to the ground by Freddy.
(d) Someone steals it.
5. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
(b) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(c) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(d) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Higgins make his money?
2. At which university does Sweet teach?
3. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
4. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
5. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)