|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Successful business organizations.
(b) Popular systems of shorthand.
(c) Phonetic alphabets.
(d) Early dictaphones.
2. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
(a) Dedicate the play Pygmalion to him.
(b) Help him get an article published.
(c) Involve him in the theater.
(d) Get him a teaching position.
3. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
(a) He won't give her any money.
(b) He knocks over her basket of flowers.
(c) He makes fun of her accent in front of everyone.
(d) She thinks he's spying on her for the police.
4. How does Higgins make his money?
(a) He writes plays.
(b) He is a professor at Oxford.
(c) He is an inventor.
(d) He teaches people to speak with a proper accent.
5. What happens to the Flower Girl's basket?
(a) It is knocked to the ground by Higgins.
(b) The police seize it, saying she has no license to sell flowers.
(c) It is knocked to the ground by Freddy.
(d) Someone steals it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
2. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
3. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
4. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)