|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
2. What can Higgins guess about people?
(a) Where they are from.
(b) Their secret desires and dreams.
(c) Their age.
(d) What their job is.
3. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
(b) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(c) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(d) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
4. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
(b) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(c) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(d) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
5. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
(a) To win love.
(b) To become teachers.
(c) To play the Queen of Spain onstage.
(d) To meet monarchs such as the Queen of Spain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
2. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
3. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
4. What does Sweet think of the Pitman system?
5. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)