|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Higgins guess about people?
(a) Their secret desires and dreams.
(b) What their job is.
(c) Where they are from.
(d) Their age.
2. What does an upside-down e represent?
(a) It is a symbol of the uselessnesss of alphabets.
(b) A vowel of indefinite sound.
(c) An uncommon vowel in English.
(d) It is similar to a question mark.
3. What is Higgins the author of?
(a) Famous books about Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) Higgins's Universal Alphabet.
(c) The play that everyone has seen that evening.
(d) Spoken Sanscrit.
4. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
(a) The English can't speak their own language properly.
(b) The English do not bother to learn other European languages.
(c) The English are poor spellers.
(d) The English are snobs who look down on people who can't speak English.
5. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
(a) She doesn't; she calls all young men "Freddy" or "Charlie."
(b) She heard the women call him by that name.
(c) She has seen him somewhere before.
(d) They are secretly lovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should happen with the spelling of the English language, according to Shaw?
2. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
3. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
4. Who is Henry Sweet?
5. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)