|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) Early morning, just before dawn.
(b) A cold, wintry evening.
(c) A hot and sweltering day.
(d) A dark and rainy night.
2. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A picture of her deceased mother.
(b) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(c) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(d) A birdcage.
3. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(b) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(c) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(d) They are shocked by her bad language.
4. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
(a) A professor at Oxford who, like Higgins, had a fiery temper.
(b) A portrait painter who, like Higgins, loved phonetics.
(c) A phonetician who, like Higgins, greatly admired Milton.
(d) An expert in shorthand who, like Higgins, lived in England.
5. What does an upside-down e represent?
(a) It is a symbol of the uselessnesss of alphabets.
(b) It is similar to a question mark.
(c) A vowel of indefinite sound.
(d) An uncommon vowel in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
2. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
3. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
4. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
5. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)