|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
(b) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
(c) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(d) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
2. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
(a) She doesn't have any money and cannot pay for the taxi.
(b) She's never ridden in a taxi before and has no idea how much it costs.
(c) She is really a prostitute.
(d) She lives in a slum.
3. How old is the Flower Girl?
(a) She has just turned twenty-one.
(b) She is "sweet sixteen."
(c) She is about eighteen or twenty.
(d) She is only fourteen or fifteen.
4. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
(a) To make people aware of the social inequalities in England.
(b) To entertain people and make them forget their worries for another day.
(c) To let people know of the existence of phoneticians and how important they are.
(d) To encourage people to value all types of accents in English.
5. On what basis do some English people despise others?
(a) Their level of education.
(b) Their accents or dialects of English.
(c) Their socioeconomic class.
(d) Whether they are foreign or native-born citizens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
2. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
4. What does an upside-down e represent?
5. Where does Liza tell Freddy she is going at the end of Act 1?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)