|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) The inventor of the telephone.
(b) A London patriarch.
(c) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
(d) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
2. Who is Tito Pagliardini?
(a) An expert in Italian dialects.
(b) An opera singer.
(c) A playwright.
(d) A phonetics expert.
3. According to Shaw, what can people do to get rid of their low-class accents?
(a) They should imitate people who speak proper English.
(b) They must be trained by a phonetics expert.
(c) People should not try to get rid of their low-class accents; they should be proud of the way they speak.
(d) It cannot be done in real life.
4. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(c) New York.
5. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
(b) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
(c) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(d) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
2. Which of the following describes Liza's home?
3. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
4. What does the Gentleman (Pickering) study?
5. To what does Higgins compare Liza?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)