|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(b) They are shocked by her bad language.
(c) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
(d) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
2. What does Sweet send Shaw?
3. What city is the setting of Shaw's play?
(c) New York.
4. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
(b) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(c) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
(d) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
5. What type of person does Shaw indicate is the hero of Pygmalion?
(a) A professor of English literatures specializing in Shakespeare and Milton.
(b) An energetic enthusiast who supports language reform.
(c) A multilinguist and expert in Latinate languages.
(d) A low-class person who cannot speak the language properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
2. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
3. Who is Robert Bridges and what does he have in common with Higgins?
4. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
5. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)