|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(b) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
(c) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(d) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
2. Which of the following is among Liza's treasured possessions?
(a) A birdcage.
(b) A book of Shakespeare's plays.
(c) A fashionable dress that she has never worn.
(d) A picture of her deceased mother.
3. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(b) It is written in a cryptic code.
(c) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
(d) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
4. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He is an ill-natured man.
(b) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
(c) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
(d) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
5. Based on what you read in the Preface, with which of the following statements do you think Shaw would agree?
(a) All great art must be didactic; that is, it should teach people something.
(b) Great art cannot please everyone; there will always be some wiseacres who cannot appreciate it.
(c) Truly great art should not seek to be commercially successful.
(d) Great art should not seek to teach lessons, but to entertain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
2. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
3. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
4. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
5. What is one example Shaw gives of when people might want to change their accents?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)