|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
(a) She doesn't; she calls all young men "Freddy" or "Charlie."
(b) They are secretly lovers.
(c) She heard the women call him by that name.
(d) She has seen him somewhere before.
2. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
(a) The consonants.
(b) The consonants and some vowels.
(c) The vowels and some consonants.
(d) The vowels.
3. How do the bystanders treat Liza when she becomes upset?
(a) They are sympathetic to her and defend her.
(b) They tell her to get lost because she is a worthless flower girl.
(c) They are shocked by her bad language.
(d) They completely ignore her as if she is invisible.
4. What are the Pitman and Gregg systems?
(a) Phonetic alphabets.
(b) Early dictaphones.
(c) Popular systems of shorthand.
(d) Successful business organizations.
5. Which comment does Shaw make about the realism in his play?
(a) Realism is not to be found in the theater.
(b) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is obviously not possible in real life.
(c) A transformation like the one made by the heroine is very possible in real life.
(d) Realism is the only style that can be respected in the theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
2. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
3. What is one of Shaw's purposes in writing this play?
4. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
5. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)