|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Higgins's profession?
2. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
(b) It is written in a cryptic code.
(c) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
(d) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
3. Why doesn't Sweet's shorthand become popular?
(a) It is not legible.
(b) It is not a complete and exact phonetic script.
(c) It is very difficult to learn.
(d) He does not have the business organization he needs to popularize it.
4. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
(a) He is dressed in a uniform.
(b) He is an elderly, military type.
(c) He is snobbish and rude.
(d) He is young and dashing.
5. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) A dark and rainy night.
(b) Early morning, just before dawn.
(c) A cold, wintry evening.
(d) A hot and sweltering day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Shaw's attempt to help Sweet fail?
2. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
3. What does Shaw try to do for Sweet?
4. What does the Flower Girl call the Gentleman?
5. Which character in Pygmalion is based in part on Henry Sweet?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)