|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following describes the Gentleman (later identified as Pickering)?
(a) He is an elderly, military type.
(b) He is snobbish and rude.
(c) He is young and dashing.
(d) He is dressed in a uniform.
2. Why doesHenry Sweet not become more prominent?
(a) He scorns everyone who did not agree with him about the importance of phonetics.
(b) He is an ill-natured man.
(c) He angera many people by publishing a libelous article.
(d) Nobody agrees with him that phonetics are important.
3. How does the Flower Girl know Freddy's name?
(a) She heard the women call him by that name.
(b) They are secretly lovers.
(c) She doesn't; she calls all young men "Freddy" or "Charlie."
(d) She has seen him somewhere before.
4. Which best describes the first scene?
(a) A dark and rainy night.
(b) Early morning, just before dawn.
(c) A hot and sweltering day.
(d) A cold, wintry evening.
5. Which of the following does Shaw identify as a problem among his fellow English?
(a) The English can't speak their own language properly.
(b) The English are poor spellers.
(c) The English do not bother to learn other European languages.
(d) The English are snobs who look down on people who can't speak English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Higgins say he can do for the Flower Girl (Liza)?
2. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
3. Which elements of the English alphabet have no agreed speech value?
4. Where is Act 1 of the play set?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe the Flower Girl's appearance?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)