|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Alexander Melville Bell?
(a) The inventor of the telephone.
(b) A London patriarch.
(c) A playwright who was a rival of Shaw's.
(d) A phonetics expert who invented a phonetic spelling called Visible Speech.
2. What is a problem with the English language, according to Shaw?
(a) It is difficult for foreigners to learn well.
(b) It doesn't have a beautiful sound when spoken.
(c) It is not spelled the way it should be pronounced.
(d) It is a vulgar language when compared to Latinate languages such as French.
3. To Shaw, what is the main advantage of Henry Sweet's "Current Shorthand"?
(a) It can be used on postcards, where there is limited space to write.
(b) It can be used as a kind of secret code or cryptogram.
(c) Everyone is familiar with it, as it is widely taught in secretarial schools.
(d) It can express every sound in the language perfectly.
4. What is the main reason Higgins brings Liza to the social visit at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) To give her practice in polite conversation.
(b) To allow his mother to meet her.
(c) To announce their upcoming engagement.
(d) To see if people really believe that she is a duchess.
5. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 3?
(a) Mrs. Eynsford Hill's parlor.
(b) Buckingham Palace.
(c) The Embassy.
(d) Mrs. Higgins's drawing room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Liza's father's profession?
2. What bet does Higgins make with Pickering?
3. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
4. What skill does Neppomuck have?
5. Which of the following first interests Higgins about Liza?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)