|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Jerusalem's plan called?
2. What does the restaurant owner say he wants added to the charges against Mack?
3. Where is the statue of General Anna?
4. How long does it take for the truck tires to be repaired so that the trucks return to the streets?
5. What does General Anna say should be a condition of the peace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Flower Formula and what does Professor Cumberly say could be done with that formula?
2. What does Maxie Hammerman say when the Police Commissioner asks why Maxie is called the Pushcart King?
3. What are some of the complaints posed by the letters to the editor?
4. What is Frank the Flower's confession after the raid on Maxie's and why does the Police Commissioner want to believe it?
5. Who is Alice Myles and what is Maxie Hammerman's reaction to her?
6. Why does Maxie Hammerman say he won't give the shorthand notes on the meeting of The Three to the newspaper?
7. How does Maxie explain his consistent winnings at the poker table?
8. Why does Miriam Portlette take notes of the meeting of The Three?
9. How does Maxie Hammerman explain away the notations he'd made on the map about the names of pushcart vendors and the numbers?
10. What does Maxie Hammerman tell the pushcart vendors they must do now, and what is the significance of that order to Mr. Jerusalem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a series of events after the truckers privately declare war on the pushcarts and prior to the pushcart vendors becoming aware of the situation. Describe these events. Could there have been something done at this point to stop the war?
Essay Topic 2
There's a theory that if fewer trucks were on the street, the remaining trucks could make their deliveries in less time. Is this a viable answer to the congestion problem? Support your answer with examples other than traffic.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Wenda Gambling? What is her role in the story? What might have been different if she hadn't been part of the story?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)