|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second grade class of Public School 42 say they'll miss if the pushcarts aren't allowed to operate?
2. What does Maxie Hammerman buy for General Anna on the day of the Peace March?
3. Who is driving the truck that encounters the division on Greene Street?
4. What does Maxie say is the purpose of the map of New York City that was found in his shop?
5. What does the Police Commissioner advise the Mayor to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Maxie explain his consistent winnings at the poker table?
2. What is the Flower Formula and what does Professor Cumberly say could be done with that formula?
3. What does General Anna say to Maxie Hammerman when she sees the repairs done to her pushcart, and what is Maxie's reaction?
4. Why does Maxie Hammerman say he won't give the shorthand notes on the meeting of The Three to the newspaper?
5. List at least four of the conditions of the peace treaty.
6. What is the plan presented by Mr. Jerusalem?
7. What are some of the complaints posed by the letters to the editor?
8. List the main points of the Mayor's address regarding the peace march.
9. What happens to Morris the Florist during the march?
10. What is Maxie's plan to deal with The Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Joey Kafflis? What is the document Joey produces that provides an inside look into the pushcart war? Describe what Joey writes in this document.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Miriam Portlette and how does she become involved in the situation? What is the document she produces? What are the contents of that document.?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the Pushcart King? What is his role in the lives of the vendors? There's another person interested in his work as the story draws to a close. Who is that person and what does the Pushcart King think about it?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)