|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Eddie and Maxie drinking after the card game?
2. What do the truck drivers threaten to do if the Mayor doesn't meet their demands?
3. What does Maxie say you must have in order to fight a war?
4. What prompts the many letters to the editor about the pushcarts?
5. Where is Ms. Portlett taking shorthand classes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Alice Myles and what is Maxie Hammerman's reaction to her?
2. What role do the pushcart vendors play in the battle at Beecker Street?
3. What does the Police Commissioner say is wrong with following the demands of the truckers?
4. How does Maxie explain his consistent winnings at the poker table?
5. List at least four of the conditions of the peace treaty.
6. What are some of the complaints posed by the letters to the editor?
7. What does General Anna say to Maxie Hammerman when she sees the repairs done to her pushcart, and what is Maxie's reaction?
8. List the main points of the Mayor's address regarding the peace march.
9. What is the attitude of Mayor Emmet P. Cudd to the many letters to the editor being printed in the newspapers?
10. How does Maxie Hammerman explain away the notations he'd made on the map about the names of pushcart vendors and the numbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List five pushcart vendors. Tell about the lives of each, including whatever details are available in the story. Do these seem like happy people? What makes you think so?
Essay Topic 2
What prompts the war and what keeps it going? Did either side have options other than the actions they took? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Relate the story of Frank the Flower's interview with the Police Commissioner. Compare that with the Commissioner's interview with Maxie Hammerman. How do the two men manage to twist things to put themselves in a good light?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)