|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ms. Portlette not stay until the end of the meeting?
2. What does Papa Paretz give each of the truck drivers who agree to their terms?
3. What is used as trophies for anyone who hits the target in the middle of the dart board?
4. What do people throw at the trucks on Beecker Street?
5. What does the Police Commissioner advise the Mayor to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Police Commissioner say is wrong with following the demands of the truckers?
2. What are some of the complaints posed by the letters to the editor?
3. What does Maxie Hammerman tell the pushcart vendors they must do now, and what is the significance of that order to Mr. Jerusalem?
4. What is the reaction of the pushcart vendors after Maxie is arrested?
5. List the main points of the Mayor's address regarding the peace march.
6. How does Maxie explain his consistent winnings at the poker table?
7. Why does Miriam Portlette take notes of the meeting of The Three?
8. Describe the meeting between the truck drivers and the pushcart vendors led by Harry Hot Dog and Mr. Jerusalem.
9. List two ways the movie of the pushcart war differed from the actual events.
10. How does Maxie Hammerman explain away the notations he'd made on the map about the names of pushcart vendors and the numbers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Festival of Cantaloupes? How does it begin? How is it connected to the pushcart war? Why do you think the festival is still celebrated today?
Essay Topic 2
Some people, including Big Moe, come to believe there are more people involved in the flats than just Frank the Flower. Describe why those people believe Frank wasn't working alone and why some people want to believe it was only Frank. Compare the group of people who would believe in a conspiracy theory to those who don't. What are the basic differences between the two groups?
Essay Topic 3
List five pushcart vendors. Tell about the lives of each, including whatever details are available in the story. Do these seem like happy people? What makes you think so?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)