|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the author say has passed since the pushcart war?
2. How many hands of poker does Eddie say Maxie played to win the $60,000?
3. How long does it take for the truck tires to be repaired so that the trucks return to the streets?
4. What are Eddie and Maxie drinking after the card game?
5. How many pushcarts gather on Bleecker Street the day after the pushcart war officially ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do the pushcart vendors play in the battle at Beecker Street?
2. Why does Maxie Hammerman say he won't give the shorthand notes on the meeting of The Three to the newspaper?
3. Describe the meeting between the truck drivers and the pushcart vendors led by Harry Hot Dog and Mr. Jerusalem.
4. List the main points of the Mayor's address regarding the peace march.
5. What does Maxie Hammerman tell the pushcart vendors they must do now, and what is the significance of that order to Mr. Jerusalem?
6. How does Maxie explain his consistent winnings at the poker table?
7. What is the Flower Formula and what does Professor Cumberly say could be done with that formula?
8. What are some of the complaints posed by the letters to the editor?
9. What does General Anna say to Maxie Hammerman when she sees the repairs done to her pushcart, and what is Maxie's reaction?
10. What is the annual festival named for the Battle at Beecker Street and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Buddy Wisser? What is his role in the pushcart war? Was his role vital to the outcome of the war? What might have happened if Wisser hadn't been in the right place at the right time?
Essay Topic 2
There's a theory that if fewer trucks were on the street, the remaining trucks could make their deliveries in less time. Is this a viable answer to the congestion problem? Support your answer with examples other than traffic.
Essay Topic 3
Who is Wenda Gambling? What is her role in the story? What might have been different if she hadn't been part of the story?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)