|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious want to have checked out?
2. In September 1988, what award does Precious receive from the city?
3. What is one of the things that Precious brings to the class as her personal touch?
4. When Ms. Rain tells the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious fantasize about?
5. Why does Precious not trust her counselor, Ms. Weiss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Precious learn about Ms. Rain and how does it help correct a previous misconception she had?
2. How does Precious feel about her second child, Abdul?
3. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
4. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
5. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
6. Who does Precious think about calling while she is at the armory and why?
7. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
8. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
9. What is Precious worried about concerning Abdul's first birthday and school?
10. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious learns her ABC's in a way that most people would not imagine a young girl learning. Using examples from the book, explain how this instance develops Precious' character for the reader and helps the reader to understand Precious' life.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)