|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain ask Precious about her father?
2. What has Precious not completed that each girl in the class is required to do?
3. What does Mary attempt to do to Precious when Precious returns from the hospital?
4. What does Ms. Weiss ask Precious when she returns with the Coke?
5. What is Precious' son's full name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
2. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
3. What kind of things happen to Precious and Abdul when Mrs. Butter sends them to stay at the armory?
4. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
5. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
6. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
7. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
8. What does Precious learn about Ms. Rain and how does it help correct a previous misconception she had?
9. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
10. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Push ends with the students' book and their life stories. Choose one of the characters from Precious' class and compare her life story to Precious. Are they similar or different? How? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Precious learns her ABC's in a way that most people would not imagine a young girl learning. Using examples from the book, explain how this instance develops Precious' character for the reader and helps the reader to understand Precious' life.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)