|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Precious not completed that each girl in the class is required to do?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Precious wonder about Carl when she thinks about her first baby?
3. What does Precious want to have checked out?
4. What does Precious do after Ms. Weiss leaves the office to get her a Coke?
5. What does Ms. Rain advise Precious to do about Ms. Weiss and their counseling sessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
2. When Mary comes to visit Precious at the Harlem halfway house, what does Precious understand about her?
3. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
4. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
5. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
6. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
7. What existential argument does Precious grapple with at the end of Chapter 4?
8. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
9. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
10. What is happening to Precious at the opening of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has had two babies by the time she is sixteen years old. What is the difference between the two experiences? How does she treats them or thinks about them? Are there any differences? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has a difficult time understanding love and sex together. They are separate to her due to the abuse she has endured. Explain this in a well-crafted essay, using examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Before attending the Alternative School, Precious has a lot of bias toward white people and homosexual people. Using examples from the book, explain how the Alternative School helped Precious overcome these prejudices.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)