|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious want to have checked out?
2. What does Ms. Rain tell Precious in response to Precious saying Abdul is everything?
3. What is Precious unsure about in terms of her future relationships?
4. In September 1988, what award does Precious receive from the city?
5. When does Precious have her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of things happen to Precious and Abdul when Mrs. Butter sends them to stay at the armory?
2. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
3. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
4. What is happening to Precious at the opening of Chapter 4?
5. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
6. What is Precious worried about concerning Abdul's first birthday and school?
7. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
8. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
9. How does Precious feel about her second child, Abdul?
10. When Mary comes to visit Precious at the Harlem halfway house, what does Precious understand about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title, "Push"? Using specific examples from the text, create a clear thesis that explains the novel's title and how it applies to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Precious learns her ABC's in a way that most people would not imagine a young girl learning. Using examples from the book, explain how this instance develops Precious' character for the reader and helps the reader to understand Precious' life.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)