|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain point out in Precious' journal entry that she reads aloud to the class?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Precious wonder about Carl when she thinks about her first baby?
3. What does Precious ask Mary about Carl after Mary attends a counseling session with her?
4. What does Ms. Weiss ask Precious when she returns with the Coke?
5. Who does Mary tell Precious has died of AIDS?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
2. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
3. What happens at the end of Chapter 3 between Ms. Rain and Precious?
4. Who does Precious think about calling while she is at the armory and why?
5. What kind of things happen to Precious and Abdul when Mrs. Butter sends them to stay at the armory?
6. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
7. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
8. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
9. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
10. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Precious shifts back and forth between the past and present. How does this and the way in which these time shifts are written reflect on Precious' character? What do these time shifts signify about Precious and the life she leads? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)