|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain advise Precious to do about Ms. Weiss and their counseling sessions?
2. After fighting with her mother, why does Precious take Abdul and go to the Emergency Room?
3. Who does Mary tell Precious has died of AIDS?
4. How does Precious tell Ms. Rain that she needs an HIV test?
5. What does Precious wake up to discover one evening at the temporary shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
2. What does Precious learn about Ms. Rain and how does it help correct a previous misconception she had?
3. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
4. How does Precious feel about her second child, Abdul?
5. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
6. What kind of things happen to Precious and Abdul when Mrs. Butter sends them to stay at the armory?
7. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
8. What happens at the end of Chapter 3 between Ms. Rain and Precious?
9. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
10. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has had two babies by the time she is sixteen years old. What is the difference between the two experiences? How does she treats them or thinks about them? Are there any differences? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)