|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After fighting with her mother, why does Precious take Abdul and go to the Emergency Room?
2. When Ms. Rain tells the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious fantasize about?
3. What does Ms. Rain think about Precious that bewilders Precious?
4. What does Precious' file suggest she should look into pursuing?
5. What does Mary accuse Precious of doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
2. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
3. What existential argument does Precious grapple with at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
5. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
6. What happens at the end of Chapter 3 between Ms. Rain and Precious?
7. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
8. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
9. Who does Precious think about calling while she is at the armory and why?
10. What kind of things happen to Precious and Abdul when Mrs. Butter sends them to stay at the armory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Education is the solution to all of Precious' problems. Validate or invalidate this statement in your thesis. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)