|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Precious reading in class?
2. Who does Mary tell Precious has died of AIDS?
3. What did Precious grow up thinking about herself?
4. What does Ms. Rain tell Precious in response to Precious saying Abdul is everything?
5. What does Precious do after Ms. Weiss leaves the office to get her a Coke?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is happening to Precious at the opening of Chapter 4?
2. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
3. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
4. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
5. When Mary comes to visit Precious at the Harlem halfway house, what does Precious understand about her?
6. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
7. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
8. When Mary visits Precious at the halfway house, what does she reveal to Precious?
9. What existential argument does Precious grapple with at the end of Chapter 4?
10. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Before attending the Alternative School, Precious has a lot of bias toward white people and homosexual people. Using examples from the book, explain how the Alternative School helped Precious overcome these prejudices.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)