|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Precious tell Ms. Rain that she needs an HIV test?
2. What does Precious think about in regards to Carl Kenwood Jones after receiving some startling news?
3. Who does Precious consider her family to be now that she has left Mary's house?
4. In September 1988, what award does Precious receive from the city?
5. What does Mary attempt to do to Precious when Precious returns from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
2. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
3. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
4. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
5. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
6. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
7. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
8. Who does Precious think about calling while she is at the armory and why?
9. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
10. What is Precious worried about concerning Abdul's first birthday and school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title, "Push"? Using specific examples from the text, create a clear thesis that explains the novel's title and how it applies to the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Precious calling herself Precious? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)