|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious write about in a poem?
2. In September 1988, what award does Precious receive from the city?
3. What does Precious understand about AIDS?
4. What does Mary attempt to do to Precious when Precious returns from the hospital?
5. What does Precious not want Ms. Rain to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
2. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
3. What kind of things happen to Precious and Abdul when Mrs. Butter sends them to stay at the armory?
4. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
5. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
6. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
7. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
8. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
9. When Mary comes to visit Precious at the Harlem halfway house, what does Precious understand about her?
10. What existential argument does Precious grapple with at the end of Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Precious shifts back and forth between the past and present. How does this and the way in which these time shifts are written reflect on Precious' character? What do these time shifts signify about Precious and the life she leads? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Push ends with the students' book and their life stories. Choose one of the characters from Precious' class and compare her life story to Precious. Are they similar or different? How? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)