|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain tell Precious, following her startling discovery about herself and Abdul?
2. What does Precious write about in a poem?
3. Where do Mrs. Butter and the other nurses send Precious after she comes back to the hospital?
4. What does Precious think about in regards to Carl Kenwood Jones after receiving some startling news?
5. What does Ms. Rain tell Precious she can do with her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
2. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
3. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
4. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
5. What is happening to Precious at the opening of Chapter 4?
6. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
7. When Mary comes to visit Precious at the Harlem halfway house, what does Precious understand about her?
8. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
9. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
10. When Mary visits Precious at the halfway house, what does she reveal to Precious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has a difficult time understanding love and sex together. They are separate to her due to the abuse she has endured. Explain this in a well-crafted essay, using examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Precious shifts back and forth between the past and present. How does this and the way in which these time shifts are written reflect on Precious' character? What do these time shifts signify about Precious and the life she leads? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)