|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious tell Mrs. Butter once she finds her at the hospital?
2. Who does Precious write a touching poem about?
3. What does Ms. Rain ask Precious when Precious refers to her incest class as "insect"?
4. What does Precious' file say is the only thing she is not doing well with in school?
5. What does Precious begin thinking about as she gets older?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
2. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
3. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
4. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
5. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
6. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
7. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
8. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
9. When Mary visits Precious at the halfway house, what does she reveal to Precious?
10. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
Essay Topic 2
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)