|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious say she no longer cares about now that she is getting an education?
2. What does Precious tell Jermaine she wants to do after stealing her file from Ms. Weiss?
3. After fighting with her mother, why does Precious take Abdul and go to the Emergency Room?
4. What does Mary attempt to do to Precious when Precious returns from the hospital?
5. What does Ms. Rain ask Precious about her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Precious feel about her second child, Abdul?
2. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
3. What existential argument does Precious grapple with at the end of Chapter 4?
4. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
5. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
6. What kind of things happen to Precious and Abdul when Mrs. Butter sends them to stay at the armory?
7. What is happening to Precious at the opening of Chapter 4?
8. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
9. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
10. When Mary comes to visit Precious at the Harlem halfway house, what does Precious understand about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title, "Push"? Using specific examples from the text, create a clear thesis that explains the novel's title and how it applies to the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)