|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Mrs. Butter and the other nurses send Precious after she comes back to the hospital?
2. What happens when Precious tells the social worker that Little Mongo does not live with her?
3. What does Precious believe becoming a home attendant will prevent her from doing?
4. What does Precious tell Mrs. Butter once she finds her at the hospital?
5. What does Precious keep secret in November?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
2. What is Precious worried about concerning Abdul's first birthday and school?
3. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
4. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
5. What does Precious learn about Ms. Rain and how does it help correct a previous misconception she had?
6. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
7. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
8. Who does Precious think about calling while she is at the armory and why?
9. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
10. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Precious come to understand that her mother is mentally unstable? What changes occur within Precious' life to help her come to this understanding? What separates Precious from her mother to help her come to this understanding? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
Essay Topic 3
Precious ends her life story in the students' book differently than most of the other girls. How does she end her story and what is the significance of her ending? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)