|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain tell Precious in response to Precious saying Abdul is everything?
2. What is Precious' son's full name?
3. In Chapter 4, what support group does Rita want Precious to attend?
4. What happens when Precious tells the social worker that Little Mongo does not live with her?
5. What makes Precious feel better while having to deal with HIV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Precious learn about Ms. Rain and how does it help correct a previous misconception she had?
2. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
3. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
4. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
5. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
6. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
7. What is Precious worried about concerning Abdul's first birthday and school?
8. What existential argument does Precious grapple with at the end of Chapter 4?
9. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
10. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious ends her life story in the students' book differently than most of the other girls. How does she end her story and what is the significance of her ending? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Would Precious have undergone the positive changes in her life had she not met her classmates and Ms. Rain? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)