|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Precious' son's full name?
2. What does Ms. Rain suggest that Precious do after she has given birth to Abdul?
3. What does Mary attempt to do to Precious when Precious returns from the hospital?
4. What happens when Precious tells the social worker that Little Mongo does not live with her?
5. What does Precious wake up to discover one evening at the temporary shelter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Precious learn about Ms. Rain and how does it help correct a previous misconception she had?
2. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
3. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
4. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
5. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
6. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
7. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
8. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
9. When Mary visits Precious at the halfway house, what does she reveal to Precious?
10. How does Precious feel about her second child, Abdul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Precious going to the incest survivors support group help her? In what ways does it alter her views and add to the changes taking place in her life? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)