|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After fighting with her mother, why does Precious take Abdul and go to the Emergency Room?
2. Who does Precious write a touching poem about?
3. What does Mary attempt to do to Precious when Precious returns from the hospital?
4. What does Precious wake up to discover one evening at the temporary shelter?
5. How does Precious tell Ms. Rain that she needs an HIV test?
Short Essay Questions
1. What existential argument does Precious grapple with at the end of Chapter 4?
2. How does Precious feel about her counselor, Ms. Weiss, and how does their first session go?
3. How does Precious feel about her second child, Abdul?
4. What is the meaning behind Precious' second child's name, Abdul Jamal Louis Jones?
5. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
6. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
7. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
8. What is Precious worried about concerning Abdul's first birthday and school?
9. What happens to Precious when she returns home from the hospital after having Abdul?
10. Who does Precious think about calling while she is at the armory and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Precious going to the incest survivors support group help her? In what ways does it alter her views and add to the changes taking place in her life? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Precious come to understand that her mother is mentally unstable? What changes occur within Precious' life to help her come to this understanding? What separates Precious from her mother to help her come to this understanding? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)