|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Precious reading in class?
2. What does Ms. Rain ask Precious when Precious refers to her incest class as "insect"?
3. What is the only thing Precious can think about while in the hospital in Chapter 3?
4. What does Ms. Rain tell Precious, following her startling discovery about herself and Abdul?
5. In Chapter 4, what does Precious wonder about Carl when she thinks about her first baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
2. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
3. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
4. When Ms. Rain asks the girls to write fantasies about their lives, what does Precious imagine her life being like?
5. When Mary visits Precious at the halfway house, what does she reveal to Precious?
6. What does Ms. Rain suggest to Precious whenPrecious writes to her from the hospital?
7. What is happening to Precious at the opening of Chapter 4?
8. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
9. What are the journal entries about that Precious does not want Ms. Rain to see?
10. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the ending of Push negative or positive? What kind of message is Sapphire trying to send to the reader? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)