|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious write about in a poem?
2. What does Precious' grandmother say when she visits Precious at the hospital?
3. What year is it when Chapter 4 opens?
4. What does Precious begin thinking about as she gets older?
5. What does Ms. Rain point out in Precious' journal entry that she reads aloud to the class?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Precious attends the incest survivors meeting with Rita, what is she surprised to find out?
2. When Mary goes to a counseling session with Precious, what is her version about the abuse that took place?
3. What does Precious say is her problem when trying to write her life story for the class?
4. When Mary visits Precious at the halfway house, what does she reveal to Precious?
5. What does Precious' file say about Precious and what is she afraid her file could do to her?
6. What is Precious worried about concerning Abdul's first birthday and school?
7. What is the plant that Precious brings into the classroom symbolic of?
8. Where does Precious go after she leaves her home with Abdul and who does she look for?
9. What does Precious come to realize about her classmates and Ms. Rain after she learns she has HIV?
10. When Precious begins writing poetry, what is her poetry about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has a difficult time understanding love and sex together. They are separate to her due to the abuse she has endured. Explain this in a well-crafted essay, using examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Would Precious have undergone the positive changes in her life had she not met her classmates and Ms. Rain? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)