|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the secretary at the Alternative School need from Precious to see if she is eligible for the program?
2. What name does Precious tell Mrs. Butter is the name of her baby?
3. What book does Ms. Rain help Precious read through?
4. When time jumps back to when Precious is sixteen in Chapter 1, what is she doing?
5. When was Precious born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
2. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
3. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
4. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
5. What does Precious say about Farrakhan?
6. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
7. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
8. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
9. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
10. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Precious going to the incest survivors support group help her? In what ways does it alter her views and add to the changes taking place in her life? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)