|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Precious' father begin raping her?
2. Where is Rhonda from?
3. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein?
4. How many years has it been since Mary last left the house?
5. Why does Mr. Wicher like Precious?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
2. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
3. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
4. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
5. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
6. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
7. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
8. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
9. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
10. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
Essay Topic 3
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)