|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious leave on the counter of the fast food restaurant?
2. What name does Precious tell Mrs. Butter is the name of her baby?
3. What does Precious wonder about after her mother takes her back home?
4. How many classmates does Precious have in her class with Ms. Rain?
5. When did Precious' father begin raping her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
2. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
3. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
4. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
5. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
6. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
7. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
8. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
9. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
10. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is the solution to all of Precious' problems. Validate or invalidate this statement in your thesis. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
Essay Topic 3
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)