|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious do when she orders chicken and the girl goes to the back for the fries?
2. What is Precious' mother worried about when she hears Mrs. Lichenstein at the door?
3. What grade is Precious supposed to be in?
4. What name does Precious tell Mrs. Butter is the name of her baby?
5. What is Precious doing when she returns back to present time from the memory of Little Mongo in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
2. Why does Precious have a hard time understanding that she had a baby?
3. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
4. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
5. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
6. What does one of Precious' classmates at the Alternative school do for her that makes her want to cry?
7. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
8. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
9. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
10. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Precious come to understand that her mother is mentally unstable? What changes occur within Precious' life to help her come to this understanding? What separates Precious from her mother to help her come to this understanding? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious learns her ABC's in a way that most people would not imagine a young girl learning. Using examples from the book, explain how this instance develops Precious' character for the reader and helps the reader to understand Precious' life.
Essay Topic 3
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)