|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Precious tell Mrs. Butter is the name of her baby?
2. Who does Precious consider a "God" after she is taken to the hospital and has her baby?
3. What was Rita before she attended the Alternative School?
4. What is Precious doing when she returns back to present time from the memory of Little Mongo in Chapter 1?
5. Where does Mrs. Butter tell Precious her baby is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
2. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
3. Where does Jo Ann find Precious' notebook and school supplies that she gives back to her in class?
4. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
5. What is the irony of Jo Ann wanting to work in the record label industry?
6. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
7. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
8. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
9. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
10. What does one of Precious' classmates at the Alternative school do for her that makes her want to cry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Education is the solution to all of Precious' problems. Validate or invalidate this statement in your thesis. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)