|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has it been since Mary last left the house?
2. What is Precious doing when she returns back to present time from the memory of Little Mongo in Chapter 1?
3. When time jumps back to when Precious is sixteen in Chapter 1, what is she doing?
4. When did Precious' father begin raping her?
5. Who takes a pass on answering Ms. Rain's questions about herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
2. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
3. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
4. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
5. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
6. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
7. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
8. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
9. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
10. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is the solution to all of Precious' problems. Validate or invalidate this statement in your thesis. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Would Precious have undergone the positive changes in her life had she not met her classmates and Ms. Rain? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)