|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl, Precious' father, do after learning of Little Mongo?
2. What is Precious' mother worried about when she hears Mrs. Lichenstein at the door?
3. Why is Mrs. Lichenstein at Precious' house when time returns to the present in Chapter 1?
4. What is revealed about Precious' first baby when she flashes back to the memory of having her?
5. When did Precious' mother notice that Precious was pregnant with her first baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
2. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
3. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
4. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
5. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
6. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
7. What does Precious say about Farrakhan?
8. What is the irony of Jo Ann wanting to work in the record label industry?
9. Where does Jo Ann find Precious' notebook and school supplies that she gives back to her in class?
10. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Precious calling herself Precious? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
Essay Topic 3
Education is the solution to all of Precious' problems. Validate or invalidate this statement in your thesis. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)