|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes a pass on answering Ms. Rain's questions about herself?
2. What does Precious leave on the counter of the fast food restaurant?
3. What does Precious do when she orders chicken and the girl goes to the back for the fries?
4. Who loans Precious money for lunch, causing her to cry?
5. Where does Mrs. Butter tell Precious her baby is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
2. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
3. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
4. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
5. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
6. What does one of Precious' classmates at the Alternative school do for her that makes her want to cry?
7. What is the irony of Jo Ann wanting to work in the record label industry?
8. What does Precious say about Farrakhan?
9. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
10. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is the solution to all of Precious' problems. Validate or invalidate this statement in your thesis. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Precious come to understand that her mother is mentally unstable? What changes occur within Precious' life to help her come to this understanding? What separates Precious from her mother to help her come to this understanding? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)