|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Lichenstein at Precious' house when time returns to the present in Chapter 1?
2. What does the secretary at the Alternative School need from Precious to see if she is eligible for the program?
3. What does Mrs. Lichenstein suggest she and Precious do?
4. Why does Precious claim the students listen to her?
5. What does Jo Ann claim she wants that she mispronounces?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
2. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
3. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
4. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
5. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
6. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
7. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
8. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
9. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
10. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
Essay Topic 1
Before attending the Alternative School, Precious has a lot of bias toward white people and homosexual people. Using examples from the book, explain how the Alternative School helped Precious overcome these prejudices.
Essay Topic 2
Push ends with the students' book and their life stories. Choose one of the characters from Precious' class and compare her life story to Precious. Are they similar or different? How? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Precious shifts back and forth between the past and present. How does this and the way in which these time shifts are written reflect on Precious' character? What do these time shifts signify about Precious and the life she leads? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)