|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain have the girls do once they are all in attendance?
2. Where does Mrs. Butter tell Precious her baby is?
3. Who does Precious' first baby, Little Mongo, live with?
4. What does Precious nickname the black nurse at the hospital?
5. How many years has it been since Mary last left the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
2. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
3. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
4. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
5. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
6. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
7. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
8. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
9. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
10. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Precious calling herself Precious? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Precious going to the incest survivors support group help her? In what ways does it alter her views and add to the changes taking place in her life? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)