|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Precious' mother worried about when she hears Mrs. Lichenstein at the door?
2. Who claims to be in the wrong class and not illiterate?
3. What does Precious' mother do to Precious three months after Little Mongo is born?
4. What does Precious promise her mother she will do about the welfare?
5. How old is Precious when she leaves school to have her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Precious have a hard time understanding that she had a baby?
2. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
3. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
4. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
5. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
6. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
7. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
8. What does one of Precious' classmates at the Alternative school do for her that makes her want to cry?
9. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
10. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does Precious going to the incest survivors support group help her? In what ways does it alter her views and add to the changes taking place in her life? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Precious come to understand that her mother is mentally unstable? What changes occur within Precious' life to help her come to this understanding? What separates Precious from her mother to help her come to this understanding? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)