|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ms. Rain want the girls to do every day?
2. What does Ms. Rain tell the girls that they can call her?
3. What do the girls learn as a group at the Alternative School?
4. What does the principal tell Precious' teacher in second grade who tries to help her?
5. Where is Rhonda from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jo Ann find Precious' notebook and school supplies that she gives back to her in class?
2. What is the irony of Jo Ann wanting to work in the record label industry?
3. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
4. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
5. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
6. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
7. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
8. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
9. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
10. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious ends her life story in the students' book differently than most of the other girls. How does she end her story and what is the significance of her ending? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How does Precious come to understand that her mother is mentally unstable? What changes occur within Precious' life to help her come to this understanding? What separates Precious from her mother to help her come to this understanding? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Push ends with the students' book and their life stories. Choose one of the characters from Precious' class and compare her life story to Precious. Are they similar or different? How? Use specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)