|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious shove into tinfoil before leaving her house?
2. Why is Precious almost late for her first day of school at the Alternative School?
3. What is the only thing Precious likes about being pregnant?
4. Who does Precious claim she feels like?
5. What grade is Precious in at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
2. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
3. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
4. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
5. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
6. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
7. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
8. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
9. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
10. What does Precious say about Farrakhan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has a difficult time understanding love and sex together. They are separate to her due to the abuse she has endured. Explain this in a well-crafted essay, using examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Precious shifts back and forth between the past and present. How does this and the way in which these time shifts are written reflect on Precious' character? What do these time shifts signify about Precious and the life she leads? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Is the ending of Push negative or positive? What kind of message is Sapphire trying to send to the reader? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)