|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Precious claim she feels like?
2. When Precious starts thinking about kindergarten and first grade, what does she remember?
3. How many classmates does Precious have in her class with Ms. Rain?
4. Who does Precious consider a "God" after she is taken to the hospital and has her baby?
5. What is Precious doing when she returns back to present time from the memory of Little Mongo in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
2. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
3. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
4. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
5. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
6. What does Precious say about Farrakhan?
7. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
8. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
9. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
10. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Before attending the Alternative School, Precious has a lot of bias toward white people and homosexual people. Using examples from the book, explain how the Alternative School helped Precious overcome these prejudices.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)