|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Precious when the book begins?
2. What is revealed about Precious' first baby when she flashes back to the memory of having her?
3. What is Precious' mother worried about when she hears Mrs. Lichenstein at the door?
4. What does Precious' mother do to Precious three months after Little Mongo is born?
5. What does Precious leave on the counter of the fast food restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
2. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
3. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
5. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
6. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
7. What does one of Precious' classmates at the Alternative school do for her that makes her want to cry?
8. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
9. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
10. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Precious going to the incest survivors support group help her? In what ways does it alter her views and add to the changes taking place in her life? Support your thesis with specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has a difficult time understanding love and sex together. They are separate to her due to the abuse she has endured. Explain this in a well-crafted essay, using examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Precious constantly battles between the reality she lives in and the reality she wishes to live. Does this battle suggest that Precious has the strength in her to leave her situation? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the text.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)