|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the welfare office doing that Mary is upset about?
2. When time jumps back to when Precious is sixteen in Chapter 1, what is she doing?
3. Where does Mrs. Butter tell Precious her baby is?
4. What city did Jermaine leave to get out of trouble?
5. What is Precious doing when she returns back to present time from the memory of Little Mongo in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Precious have a hard time understanding that she had a baby?
2. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
3. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
4. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
5. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
6. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
7. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
8. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
9. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
10. Why did Precious stop talking in kindergarten?
Essay Topic 1
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious learns her ABC's in a way that most people would not imagine a young girl learning. Using examples from the book, explain how this instance develops Precious' character for the reader and helps the reader to understand Precious' life.
Essay Topic 3
Precious has had two babies by the time she is sixteen years old. What is the difference between the two experiences? How does she treats them or thinks about them? Are there any differences? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)