|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Precious almost late for her first day of school at the Alternative School?
2. What does Carl, Precious' father, do after learning of Little Mongo?
3. What does Precious tell the class she is good at?
4. What does Mrs. Lichenstein suggest she and Precious do?
5. Where is Rhonda from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Precious have a hard time understanding that she had a baby?
2. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
3. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
4. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
5. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
6. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
7. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
8. What is the irony of Jo Ann wanting to work in the record label industry?
9. Why are the girls' journals that Ms. Rain has them write in each day so difficult to read?
10. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has had two babies by the time she is sixteen years old. What is the difference between the two experiences? How does she treats them or thinks about them? Are there any differences? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has a difficult time understanding love and sex together. They are separate to her due to the abuse she has endured. Explain this in a well-crafted essay, using examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
How does Precious come to understand that her mother is mentally unstable? What changes occur within Precious' life to help her come to this understanding? What separates Precious from her mother to help her come to this understanding? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)