|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious promise her unborn baby as she speaks to it?
2. What is the only thing Precious likes about being pregnant?
3. When Precious starts thinking about kindergarten and first grade, what does she remember?
4. What is the welfare office doing that Mary is upset about?
5. What does Precious' mother do to Precious three months after Little Mongo is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
2. What upsets Precious when she goes to register for the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One school?
3. Why does Precious have a hard time understanding that she had a baby?
4. What is the irony of Jo Ann wanting to work in the record label industry?
5. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
6. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
7. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
8. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
9. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
10. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
Essay Topic 1
Precious has encounters with two people whom she tries to seek out later when terrible things happen to her. Who are these people and why are they so significant to Precious' life, although playing minor roles in the novel? Why do these characters impact Precious?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title, "Push"? Using specific examples from the text, create a clear thesis that explains the novel's title and how it applies to the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)