|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Precious' mother do when she finds out about Precious' first pregnancy?
2. When did Precious' mother notice that Precious was pregnant with her first baby?
3. What results from the encounters that begin happening to Precious in second grade?
4. What city did Jermaine leave to get out of trouble?
5. What is Precious nervous about when she enters the classroom on her first day at the Alternative School?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
2. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
3. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
4. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
5. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
6. What does Precious need to do in order to register for the Alternative school?
7. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
8. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
9. Why does Precious have a hard time understanding that she had a baby?
10. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious has an obsession with ugliness. How does Precious equate ugliness with black people and being black? Where does she see ugliness? How do these views affect her views on white people? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Would Precious have undergone the positive changes in her life had she not met her classmates and Ms. Rain? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Is the ending of Push negative or positive? What kind of message is Sapphire trying to send to the reader? Support your answer with specific examples from the text.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)