|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has it been since Mary last left the house?
2. How old is Precious when the book begins?
3. Why does Mr. Wicher like Precious?
4. What does Carl, Precious' father, do after learning of Little Mongo?
5. What is revealed about Precious' first baby when she flashes back to the memory of having her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
2. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
3. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
4. Why does Precious not want her mother to know about her second pregnancy?
5. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
6. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
7. Why is Precious so excited that she has read the book "A Day at the Beach"?
8. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
9. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
10. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Precious has a difficult time understanding love and sex together. They are separate to her due to the abuse she has endured. Explain this in a well-crafted essay, using examples from the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Precious eventually scores higher on her TABE scores that she had previously been failing. How and what does this improvement foreshadow the future? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)