|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to happen to Precious in second grade?
2. What grade is Precious supposed to be in?
3. How does Precious think Farrakhan would explain why her father raped her?
4. Who does Mrs. Lichenstein want Precious to visit at the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One?
5. Where is Rhonda from?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Precious returns from her first day of school, what is Mary worrying about happening?
2. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
3. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
4. Why is Precious a ninth grader and not the junior in high school that she should be?
5. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
6. What does Ms. Rain ask the students to do that horrifies Precious?
7. What prevents Precious from being able to care about and succeed in her education?
8. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
9. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
10. Who does Precious try to find after she has her first baby?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious ends her life story in the students' book differently than most of the other girls. How does she end her story and what is the significance of her ending? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Precious shifts back and forth between the past and present. How does this and the way in which these time shifts are written reflect on Precious' character? What do these time shifts signify about Precious and the life she leads? Cite specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)