|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls learn as a group at the Alternative School?
2. What does Precious shove into tinfoil before leaving her house?
3. What subject did Precious once receive an A in?
4. When did Precious' father begin raping her?
5. When time jumps back to when Precious is sixteen in Chapter 1, what is she doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ms. Butter question Precious about when she is at the hospital with Precious?
2. How do the time shifts occur with Precious in Chapter 1?
3. What does Precious say when she speaks for the first time in class at the Alternative school?
4. What is another reason revealed in Chapter 2 for why Precious' education is not up to par with the rest of her classmates?
5. How does Precious surprise herself on her first day of class at the Alternative School?
6. Although Precious likes her math teacher, Mr. Wicher, why does she yell at him on the first day of school?
7. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein at school?
8. Where does Jo Ann find Precious' notebook and school supplies that she gives back to her in class?
9. How did Precious become so overweight at such a young age?
10. What is the irony of Jo Ann wanting to work in the record label industry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Precious describes the halfway house in literal terms: the place where people go when they are halfway between an old and a new life. Explain what Precious means with this statement in terms of her character and life. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Chapter 2, Precious has put up pictures of Harriet Tubman and Farrakhan on her wall and looks out of her window at the town she lives in. Describe this scene and its significance in explaining Precious' fight throughout the novel. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Would Precious have undergone the positive changes in her life had she not met her classmates and Ms. Rain? Why or why not? Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)