|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the girls' handwriting difficult to read?
(a) They write abrasive language
(b) They write phonetically
(c) They do not know how to use pens
(d) They write about their harsh backgrounds
2. How does Precious know she weighs more than two hundred pounds?
(a) Her mother always comments on her weight
(b) She has been eating a lot due to the pregnancy
(c) Her home scale only goes to two hundred
(d) The doctor told her earlier
3. Why is Mrs. Lichenstein at Precious' house when time returns to the present in Chapter 1?
(a) She wants to press charges against Precious
(b) She wants to discuss Precious' education
(c) She wants Precious to return her books
(d) She wants Precious' parents arrested
4. What is revealed about Precious' first baby when she flashes back to the memory of having her?
(a) That the baby has Down syndrome
(b) That Precious' father was not the real father
(c) Nothing. The baby is fine
(d) That the baby has a terminal illness
5. What does Precious wonder about after her mother takes her back home?
(a) What she will name her baby
(b) If her mother will make her get rid of the baby
(c) If she acted irrationally toward Mrs. Lichenstein
(d) When she had her first baby
6. What does the secretary at the Alternative School need from Precious to see if she is eligible for the program?
(a) Her social security card
(b) Her previous school records
(c) An admission fee
(d) Her mother's budget
7. What do the girls learn as a group at the Alternative School?
(a) Addition and subtraction
(b) The Pledge of Allegiance
(c) The alphabet
(d) How to write their names
8. Who loans Precious money for lunch, causing her to cry?
(c) Ms. Rain
9. What does Precious refuse to do at the hospital after Mrs. Butter questions her?
(a) Go back to school
(b) Tell the police what happened
(c) Give up her baby
(d) Return home
10. Who does Mrs. Lichenstein want Precious to visit at the Higher Education Alternative/Each One Teach One?
(a) Ms. Applebee
(b) Ms. McKnight
(c) A young girl with a similar background
(d) A trauma specialist
11. What is the welfare office doing that Mary is upset about?
(a) Alerting the IRS about Mary
(b) Revoking Mary's welfare
(c) Telling her to get a job
(d) Removing Precious from the check
12. What class does Precious sign up for after taking the Alternative School's test?
(a) The G.E.D. class
(b) The easiest class
(c) The pre-G.E.D. class
(d) The special education class
13. Why does Precious attack Mrs. Lichenstein?
(a) Mrs. Lichenstein suggests giving the baby away
(b) Precious does not trust Mrs. Lichenstein
(c) Precious thinks Mrs. Lichenstein is racist
(d) Mrs. Lichenstein suspends her
14. How many years has it been since Mary last left the house?
15. What does Jo Ann have that belongs to Precious?
(a) Her wallet
(b) Her fries
(c) Her house keys
(d) Her notebook
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Butter tell Precious her baby is?
2. Who does Precious consider a "God" after she is taken to the hospital and has her baby?
3. What grade is Precious in at the beginning of the story?
4. Who is considered the class clown in Ms. Rain's class?
5. Who does Precious' first baby, Little Mongo, live with?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)