• Claireece Precious Jones is sixteen at the book's opening and should be a junior in high school, but is a ninth grader.
• Precious was held back in the second grade for not being able to read and left school when she was twelve to have a baby.
• Precious' baby has Down's Syndrome and the baby was fathered by Precious' father Carl, who has been raping Precious since she was in the second grade.
• Precious begins her story on September 24, 1987 while she is on her way to Mr. Wicher's math class.
• Precious likes her teacher, but yells at him because he asks her to open her book to page 122 when she cannot read.
• Precious sits in the back of the class without talking and yells at other students who are out of line.
• The students respect Precious because she is over two hundred pounds and they are scared...
This section contains 2,200 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)