|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the weapon Alatriste draws when he sees the men coming towards him?
2. Altriste's hideout had a secret exit to __________.
3. What does Malatesta go to pick up when Alatriste enters?
4. Who first spots Alatriste in the crowd?
5. What does Inigo do while sitting in the Tavern of the Turk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alatriste almost kill Alquezar?
2. Why is the San Gine a good place for Quevedo and Alaviste to meet?
3. What condition is Elvira in in this section?
4. How did the auto-da-fe make sure it stayed a religious ceremony?
5. How does Elvira lessen the pain of burning at the stake?
6. How does Angelica save her uncle's life?
7. What does Olivares say will happen to Inigo in the coming weeks?
8. Why does Inigo feign sleep when Alatriste arrives home?
9. How does Elvira incriminate Inigo in this section?
10. Why does Olvares say there is nothing he can do to help Inigo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Inigo's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end. What did Inigo hope to achieve at the beginning of the book? What events change Inigo's ideas about life? How has Inigo's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Inquisition deal with people who break the rules? How do you think the Inquisition justified their harsh treatment of dissenters? How did its presence affect Spanish society during the 17th century?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)