|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people does the book suggest utilized the holy practice of sanctuary?
2. What is the name of the cruelest priest?
3. What of the following words does Olivares write down?
4. Who does Saldana say has powerful backers?
5. What kind of hat is Elvira made to wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alatriste almost kill Alquezar?
2. How did Quevedo get the release of Inigo authorized?
3. What does Inigo feel about Elvira in this section?
4. How does Angelica save her uncle's life?
5. Why does Alatrste think he is safe in the gambling house?
6. What is Malatesta's condition when Alatriste visits him in this section?
7. Why does Olvares say there is nothing he can do to help Inigo?
8. How did the auto-da-fe make sure it stayed a religious ceremony?
9. According to Quevedo, what does he know about the ambush?
10. How does Elvira incriminate Inigo in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why is the Inquisition so infamous? How does the author represent the Inquisition in the novel and does his representation compare to other representations in popular culture?
Essay Topic 2
Examine bullfighting. How important is bullfighting to Spanish culture? Why does the author start the novel in the midst of the bullfighting festival?
Essay Topic 3
In what way was Spain in decline during the time book's setting? How does the author express this decline? What effect does the country's decline have on the characters?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)