|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alatriste have a duel with in this section?
2. What is the title of Chapter 10?
3. Who first spots Alatriste in the crowd?
4. Why does Alatriste decide not to kill Malatesta?
5. Who leads the Tribunal of Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jose Pellicer say in his weekly bulletin?
2. Why does Alatrste think he is safe in the gambling house?
3. Why is Inigo safe from torture?
4. In what way could the fight between Alquezar and Alatriste be seen as ridiculous?
5. What does Inigo do as he waits in his prison cell?
6. According to don Quevedo, what has happened to their friends involved in the ambush?
7. What is Malatesta's condition when Alatriste visits him in this section?
8. What is Inigo's relationship with Alatriste's weapon of choice?
9. Why does Alatriste decide against killing Malatesta?
10. How does Alatriste persuade Oliveres to help him in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Perez-Reverte's representation of real people in the novel. How does Perez use his fictional characters to express his opinion of the role on Spanish society and the history of the real characters? Choose one of the real life characters in the novel and discuss how Perez represents them and the reasons why he represents them in this way? How does his representation differ from other representations of the same character?
Essay Topic 2
How does the novel suggest that non-Catholic people were dealt with in the 17th century? What is Perez-Reverte's stance on religion and, particularly, the Catholic religion? How does he express his beliefs in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why is the Inquisition so infamous? How does the author represent the Inquisition in the novel and does his representation compare to other representations in popular culture?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)