|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people does the book suggest utilized the holy practice of sanctuary?
2. With whom do Alatriste and don Quevedo have a secret meeting?
3. Why is Quevedo in a better position than Alatriste?
4. Which two people does Guadalmedina say will be burned at the stake?
5. Who leads the Tribunal of Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Quevedo get the release of Inigo authorized?
2. What does Conde de Guadalmedina say are the intentions of the Inquisiton?
3. According to Quevedo, what does he know about the ambush?
4. Why is Inigo safe from torture?
5. What does Inigo do as he waits in his prison cell?
6. How do the prisoners walk onto the stage?
7. In what way could the fight between Alquezar and Alatriste be seen as ridiculous?
8. What happens just before Inigo is to be sentenced?
9. Describe the conversation between Malatesta and Alatrista in this section?
10. What does Sladana tells Alatriste in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Inigo and Alatriste feel so loyal to each other? What does their loyalty say about the section of Spanish culture they are part of? How will Alatrise's loyalty to Inigo effect Inigo in the future?
Essay Topic 2
What role did the Catholic religion play on Spanish culture in the 17th century? In what way are the characters in the novel controlled by Catholicism? How do characters like Inigo find some kind of freedom depression despite the Catholic church repressing 17th century Spanish culture?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)