|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Inigo kill the rat in his cell?
2. What is the title of Chapter 9?
3. The two men pursue Alatriste to __________.
4. How does Alatriste kill the first man?
5. What is the title of Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inigo do as he waits in his prison cell?
2. How does Elvira lessen the pain of burning at the stake?
3. Why does Alatrste think he is safe in the gambling house?
4. What does Jose Pellicer say in his weekly bulletin?
5. How does Alatriste manage to escape Alquezar?
6. Describe the duel between Malatesta and Altriste in this section?
7. Why does Inigo feign sleep when Alatriste arrives home?
8. What does Sladana tells Alatriste in this section?
9. How does Alatriste persuade Oliveres to help him in this section?
10. In what way could the fight between Alquezar and Alatriste be seen as ridiculous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the book suggest about how Spanish society dealt with Jewish people in the 17th century? Why does the theme of anti-semitism still have a powerful impact in 2006?
Essay Topic 2
How does the novel suggest that non-Catholic people were dealt with in the 17th century? What is Perez-Reverte's stance on religion and, particularly, the Catholic religion? How does he express his beliefs in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)