|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the constable more interested in than the murder?
2. What has Elvira been accused of inciting among her fellow nuns?
3. How are offenses settled at the de la Vega gate?
4. Where does Inigo presume they are taking him?
5. What does Sor Josefa have a reputation at court for being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What efforts has Vicente made to get his daughter back from Coroado?
2. How does Inigo earn the soldier's respect in this section?
3. How does Alatriste's situation mirror that of Spain's?
4. How do the men prepare for the rescue of Eliva?
5. What does the Chief Constable find on the dead woman's body?
6. How does Inigo respond to questioning regarding his family name?
7. What is Vincente's opinion on Sor Josefa?
8. What does de Quvedo tell Alatriste about the new job he has for him?
9. What does Vicente say about Coroado?
10. What does this section suggest about the words on the woman's note?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine bullfighting. How important is bullfighting to Spanish culture? Why does the author start the novel in the midst of the bullfighting festival?
Essay Topic 2
In what way was Spain in decline during the time book's setting? How does the author express this decline? What effect does the country's decline have on the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)