|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was written on the note found in the dead woman's pouch?
2. Who scales the garden wall?
3. What is the title of Chapter 4?
4. Where does Inigo presume they are taking him?
5. What does the narator say is the only thing the Spanish have left in their pockets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does de Quvedo tell Alatriste about the new job he has for him?
2. Describe the woman who has been killed at the beginning of this section?
3. How does Alatriste manage to avoid the challenge with the young men?
4. How have the priests convinced the nuns at the convent to sleep with them?
5. What does the Chief Constable find on the dead woman's body?
6. What does Saldana think the evidence at the scene of the crime says about the murderer?
7. Describe the conversation between Inigo and Angelica in this section?
8. What is Vincente's opinion on Sor Josefa?
9. How does Alatriste force the two boys to back down in this section?
10. How has Malatesta's attitude towards Inigo changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's reception in three different countries, including the country the book was written. How do the countries' opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Spanish Inquisition? Why is the Inquisition so infamous? How does the author represent the Inquisition in the novel and does his representation compare to other representations in popular culture?
Essay Topic 3
Examine bullfighting. How important is bullfighting to Spanish culture? Why does the author start the novel in the midst of the bullfighting festival?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)