|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does the author compare to the pace the chief constable sets about his task?
2. What is the penalty for breaking into a convent?
3. What weapon does Inigo take from Luis de la Cruz?
4. What was written on the note found in the dead woman's pouch?
5. What would Captain Alatriste do when he had too much to drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Inigo let down Alatriste in this section?
2. What problems does the Inquisition already have with the de la Cruzes?
3. How does Inigo eavesdrop on the conversation that takes place in this section?
4. How does Inigo know Alatriste has escaped?
5. What does Vicente say about Coroado?
6. How does Alatriste's situation mirror that of Spain's?
7. What does de Quvedo tell Alatriste about the new job he has for him?
8. Describe the woman who has been killed at the beginning of this section?
9. Why is Alatriste thinking of returning to the Netherlands?
10. How does Alatriste manage to avoid the challenge with the young men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss the following elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are Don Quevedo's reasons for helping Vicente? Can Don Quevedo's anti-semitism in his poems be excused in any way? If so, how?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Arturo Perez-Reverte's previous book and contrast it with the Purity of Blood in terms of the following: style, structure, and themes.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)