|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does the author compare to the pace the chief constable sets about his task?
(a) A bull.
(b) An ox.
(c) A sheep.
(d) A tortoise.
2. What does the narrator say has quickened the constable and Diego's thirst?
(a) The pretty women.
(b) Bull running.
(c) Verbal sparring.
(d) The hot sun.
3. What is Quevedo staring vacantly at through the window?
4. What does Vincente de la Cruz stand before the narrator holding?
(a) A spear.
(b) A dagger.
(c) A sword.
(d) A pistol.
5. Where had the chief constable served as a soldier?
6. What does Inigo tell Angelica he would give to save her?
(a) His sword.
(b) His money.
(c) His life.
(d) His teeth.
7. Who, other than Alatriste, examines the church's exterior wall?
(a) De la Cruz'z youngest son.
(b) De Olivares.
(c) De la Cruz's eldest son.
8. What does Inigo feign when he is asked to name names?
(a) Memory loss.
(b) Love and tenderness.
(c) Confusion and distress.
9. Who drags Inigo from the carriage?
10. Whom does Inigo claim he happened upon as he was walking the streets?
(a) A broken crucifix.
(b) A crying nun.
(c) A crying child.
(d) A wounded man.
11. What important position does Angelica's uncle hold?
(a) Royal secretary.
(b) Royal advisor.
(c) Royal butler.
(d) Royal footman.
12. In what war does Inigo say his father fought and died?
(a) The Boer war
(b) The queen's war.
(c) The Crimean war.
(d) The king's war.
13. Who was following the de la Cruzes?
(a) Members of the convent.
(b) The military.
(c) The Inquisition.
(d) The FBI.
14. What question is Inigo replying to when he is shouted over by the screams of a tortured woman?
(a) How many brothers and sisters do you have?
(b) Where did you last see Alatriste?
(c) How old are you?
(d) Where do you live?
15. Captain Cuesta is deaf to _____________.
(b) A woman's charms.
(c) Foreign languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator hear fine ladies and gentlemen saying as they step out of the plaza?
2. What do the Domincans say is wrong with the de la Cruz family?
3. What country does the narrator say despises Spain?
4. What do the swarm of black clad men cry in the name of?
5. What does the narator say is the only thing the Spanish have left in their pockets?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)