|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When comparing culture, what does Douglas believe should be analyzed through the nature of historical process?
2. Douglas states that which of the following has been excused by dreams?
3. Symbolic rituals involving religious purity have been concerned with ideas of what?
4. How can ideas of contagion be understood, according to Douglas' beliefs?
5. What does holiness imply, according to Douglas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Douglas describe as being the factors that rituals require?
2. Which cultures does Douglas describe as avoiding pollution and why?
3. What is the anti-ritual prejudice that Douglas describes?
4. What do rituals embrace as described in the reading?
5. What conclusions did Malinowski come to when he studied primitive cultures?
6. What is the role of men-centered religions on a culture as described by Douglas?
7. Why is sequentiality vital to the rituals that Douglas describes?
8. What are the differences between primitive cultures and modern cultures in regard to the rules Douglas states?
9. Describe purification as it relates to Sumerian civilization.
10. How has anthropology shown the distinction between primitive and modern cultures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the contradiction in rejecting and accepting death? Is this something that takes place in modern culture? Give one example of such an event.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Douglas' social structures. What is the significance of a formal power structure? What happens with a system lacks a power structure? Are there any benefits to these systems? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when order is absent from the cultures that Douglas describes? What factors create disorder? Do you think Douglas is accurate here?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)