|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Douglas believes that primitive cultures experience less of which of the following?
2. Which item does Douglas require for success?
3. Which of the following does Douglas describe primitive cultures as using?
4. Which of the following is not involved in categorizing?
5. How can ideas of contagion be understood, according to Douglas' beliefs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the role of compatibility for the Israelites.
2. What is the anti-ritual prejudice that Douglas describes?
3. What is isolation's role in health concerns?
4. Describe economic reality in relation to primitive and modern cultures, according to Douglas.
5. How does Douglas describe the primitive world view?
6. What is involved in the categorization that Douglas describes?
7. How is schematizing disrupted, according to Douglas?
8. How does Douglas describe fortune as it is related to cosmic alliances in different cultures?
9. Describe purification as it relates to Sumerian civilization.
10. What do rituals embrace as described in the reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess rituals in primitive culture. How would Douglas answer these questions and why: Are rituals rooted in magic? Why do you think this is so? Are anti-ritual views accurate?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between social and cosmic pollution in Purity and Danger? How do both relate to primitive and modern cultures in the reading? How do these pollutions relate to your life?
Essay Topic 3
What are the consequences that Douglas associates with not having a specific government administration? How do social and moral situations involve contradictions? What do shifting loyalties have to do with political structure? What does allegiance have to do with marriage in a political structure?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)