|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Genesis provide in relation to animals?
2. How can ideas of contagion be understood, according to Douglas' beliefs?
3. Primitive ideas of which item have various symbolic meanings, due to Douglas' claims?
4. According to Frazer, what did the primitive people fail to incorporate in religion?
5. Who criticized Frazer for being complacent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the differences between primitive cultures and modern cultures in regard to the rules Douglas states?
2. What was Smith's perception of magic?
3. How does the Old Testament relate to purity, in Douglas' opinion?
4. What does Douglas describe as being the factors that rituals require?
5. What were Robertson's beliefs?
6. What conclusions did Malinowski come to when he studied primitive cultures?
7. What were Durkheim's beliefs?
8. What do rituals embrace as described in the reading?
9. What does Douglas believe has led to the belief that primitive cultures are inferior?
10. Why is sequentiality vital to the rituals that Douglas describes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Douglas' social structures. What is the significance of a formal power structure? What happens with a system lacks a power structure? Are there any benefits to these systems? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are the consequences that Douglas associates with not having a specific government administration? How do social and moral situations involve contradictions? What do shifting loyalties have to do with political structure? What does allegiance have to do with marriage in a political structure?
Essay Topic 3
According to the reading, how is harmony assured in society both externally and internally? What does collaboration have to do with internal lines? What does sexual collaboration have to do with harmony? Give examples of harmony's role in society in both primitive and modern cultures.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)