|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following do days signify to Douglas?
2. According to Douglas, rituals help to focus through what?
3. According to Durkheim, the rules of separation are features of what?
4. In African tribes, what is personality said to be influenced by?
5. What does Genesis provide in relation to animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Frazer's beliefs?
2. How does the Old Testament relate to purity, in Douglas' opinion?
3. Describe the role of compatibility for the Israelites.
4. What is isolation's role in health concerns?
5. What were Robertson's beliefs?
6. How does Douglas describe the ways in which purity can be achieved?
7. What does Douglas describe as being the factors that rituals require?
8. What was Smith's perception of magic?
9. What conclusions did Malinowski come to when he studied primitive cultures?
10. What is the anti-ritual prejudice that Douglas describes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess rituals in primitive culture. How would Douglas answer these questions and why: Are rituals rooted in magic? Why do you think this is so? Are anti-ritual views accurate?
Essay Topic 2
How do views of death differ from culture to culture? What about from primitive to modern cultures? How is death controlled by some cultures that Douglas describes? How does this differ from the religious view of sex?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze hygiene and how it compares to rituals as described in the reading. What is the significance of ritual in hygiene? Can you be hygienic without ritual? Why or why not?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)