|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Douglas claim miracle and magic are expected to bring?
2. According to Durkheim, the rules of separation are features of what?
(a) The faith.
(b) The pollution.
(c) The purity.
(d) The sacred.
3. According to Chapter 1, what do contemporary practices divide?
(a) Pure and Disgusting.
(b) Knowledgeable and ignorant.
(c) Dirty and clean.
(d) Safe and unsafe.
4. What is medical materialism based on?
(a) Philosophical beliefs.
(b) Practical health routines.
(c) Sumerian beliefs.
(d) Sanitary conditions.
5. What does Douglas' social life depend on?
(c) Symbolic expressions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which type of myths incorporated undifferentiated conditions that provided a unified view of the world, stated by Douglas?
2. Who separated magic from morals and religion?
3. According to Douglas, what rules are humans meant to adhere to?
4. In modern societies, how does Douglas believe that wealth distributed?
5. What did Durkheim view ritual as symbolic of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Douglas' book, what is the difference between holiness and blessing?
2. How does the Old Testament relate to purity, in Douglas' opinion?
3. What is involved in the categorization that Douglas describes?
4. What is the role of men-centered religions on a culture as described by Douglas?
5. Describe the role of compatibility for the Israelites.
6. How has anthropology shown the distinction between primitive and modern cultures?
7. Which cultures does Douglas describe as avoiding pollution and why?
8. What is the anti-ritual prejudice that Douglas describes?
9. What do rituals embrace as described in the reading?
10. Why is sequentiality vital to the rituals that Douglas describes?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)