|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Douglas states that which group of people regard external forms as empty?
2. According to Douglas, who had contempt for primitive society through preconceived judgments?
3. In Douglas' view, what does a lack of blessing create?
4. Which group of people have practices to prevent and cure malaria?
5. Which of the following is an example of Douglas' social control?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Malinowski study?
2. Who does Douglas claim found opposition between sacred and profane?
3. Who separated magic from morals and religion?
4. According to the reading's example, what act can be purified through sacrifice?
5. Which of the following does not contribute to social control as described by Douglas?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Douglas describe the primitive world view?
2. In Douglas' book, what is the difference between holiness and blessing?
3. Describe economic reality in relation to primitive and modern cultures, according to Douglas.
4. Why is sequentiality vital to the rituals that Douglas describes?
5. What do rituals embrace as described in the reading?
6. What is the role of men-centered religions on a culture as described by Douglas?
7. How does Douglas believe that one can one maintain holiness?
8. Describe medical materialism as it is described in Purity and Danger.
9. What is the anti-ritual prejudice that Douglas describes?
10. What conclusions did Malinowski come to when he studied primitive cultures?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)