|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the effects of pollution involve, according to Douglas?
(a) Social offense.
(b) Ritual offense.
(c) Cosmic offense.
(d) Religious offense.
2. Who does Douglas claim found opposition between sacred and profane?
3. What is the separation of animals referred to as in the reading?
(b) Specific order.
(d) Natural order.
4. What does Douglas claim miracle and magic are expected to bring?
5. What does Douglas believe can only be effective if it attracts faith?
6. What does Douglas believe that laws and rules involving food and eating were made to deal with?
(a) Purity and theft.
(b) Disgust and hatred.
(c) Pollution and defilement.
(d) Pollution and symbolism.
7. Which of the following do Douglas' assumptions not allow for?
8. Who separated magic from morals and religion?
(b) Smith and Frazer.
(c) Douglas and Frazer.
(d) Robertson and Durkheim.
9. What does Douglas believe has been assumed to be based on false beliefs in magic?
(d) Comparative religion.
10. Why do cultures avoid pollution, according to Purity and Danger?
(a) It harms children.
(b) It creates danger.
(c) It eliminates harmony.
(d) I creates disorder.
11. Which of the following is not involved in categorizing?
12. What do Greek studies of purity and impurity involve?
(a) Classical dramatists.
(b) Lack of pollution or purity.
(c) Jewish concepts.
13. According to Douglas, what rules are humans meant to adhere to?
14. What does Douglas describe rituals as requiring?
15. Which of the following is not described as being a men-centered religion?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Douglas, morality is wrongly assumed to protect who?
2. Which of the following is the concept of contagion most a part of, according to Douglas?
3. What does the union between God and people involve in Douglas' view?
4. What does order reject, according to Chapter 2?
5. Which type of myths incorporated undifferentiated conditions that provided a unified view of the world, stated by Douglas?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)