|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Malinowski, where do rituals derive from?
2. When comparing culture, what does Douglas believe should be analyzed through the nature of historical process?
(a) Alignment and purity.
(b) Rationale and logic.
(c) Unity and variety.
(d) Pollution and society.
3. Which of the following transmits disease and has a toxic influence, according to Douglas?
4. According to Douglas, rituals help to focus through what?
5. What does Douglas believe has inspired the distinction between primitive and non-primitive cultures?
6. According to Douglas, morality is wrongly assumed to protect who?
7. In modern societies, how does Douglas believe that wealth distributed?
(a) Market considerations.
(b) Role specializations.
(d) Social pollution.
8. What is medical materialism based on?
(a) Philosophical beliefs.
(b) Sanitary conditions.
(c) Sumerian beliefs.
(d) Practical health routines.
9. What does Douglas claim miracle and magic are expected to bring?
10. What does holiness imply, according to Douglas?
11. What are the only types of ideas that Douglas believes should be adopted?
12. Whose beliefs did Durkheim adopt when it came to definitions of primitive religion?
13. Which of the following does Douglas believe rituals can alter by restating?
14. Which of the following is not involved in the patterns Douglas suggests?
(a) Identifying pure and impure.
(c) Fitting within certain parameters.
(d) Stable worlds.
15. Which type of myths incorporated undifferentiated conditions that provided a unified view of the world, stated by Douglas?
Short Answer Questions
1. To study purity and pollution, what does Douglas believe one must understand?
2. Which of the following does Douglas describe primitive cultures as using?
3. Which of the following would not be appropriate for an earth animal, according to the classification?
4. According to Chapter 1, what do contemporary practices divide?
5. Which of the following relationships is unclear to Douglas?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)