|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Douglas, the absence of what pertains to the lack of system?
2. Which of the following is not involved in categorizing?
3. In modern societies, how does Douglas believe that wealth distributed?
(b) Role specializations.
(c) Social pollution.
(d) Market considerations.
4. What does Douglas believe has inspired the distinction between primitive and non-primitive cultures?
5. What does Douglas believe has been assumed to be based on false beliefs in magic?
(a) Comparative religion.
6. Douglas believes that primitive cultures experience less of which of the following?
(b) Social control.
7. Which of the following do Douglas' assumptions not allow for?
8. Which type of myths incorporated undifferentiated conditions that provided a unified view of the world, stated by Douglas?
9. Douglas believes that primitive cultures are wrongly assumed to be which of the following?
10. According to Douglas, rituals help to focus through what?
11. Douglas believes that if you maintain holiness, what will you be safe from?
12. Who criticized Frazer for being complacent?
13. To study purity and pollution, what does Douglas believe one must understand?
(a) Jewish concepts.
(b) Religious concepts.
(c) Hygiene concepts.
(d) Reproductive health.
14. Douglas states that which of the following has been excused by dreams?
(a) Eating something polluted.
(b) Food indigestion.
(c) Drug indigestion.
(d) Being unpure.
15. Which of the following does not interfere with separation in Douglas' beliefs?
(a) Eating an earth animal.
(b) Fighting in a polluted state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Dinka people do to perform a sacrifice in the reading?
2. Which of the following is an example of Douglas' social control?
3. According to Durkheim, the rules of separation are features of what?
4. Who does Douglas claim found opposition between sacred and profane?
5. Which act does Douglas claim led to the recovery of an entire village?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)