|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Dinka people do to perform a sacrifice in the reading?
(a) Hanging prisoners.
(b) Killing animals.
(c) Cutting victims.
(d) Performing a medical procedure.
2. What is the separation of animals referred to as in the reading?
(a) Natural order.
(b) Specific order.
3. Douglas states that which group of people regard external forms as empty?
4. What do Greek studies of purity and impurity involve?
(a) Classical dramatists.
(c) Lack of pollution or purity.
(d) Jewish concepts.
5. What does Douglas' social life depend on?
(b) Symbolic expressions.
6. According to the reading's example, what act can be purified through sacrifice?
(a) Having a child out of wedlock.
(c) Poisoning a lover.
7. According to Douglas, morality is wrongly assumed to protect who?
8. What does Douglas state embraces harmony, order, and meaning?
9. Which act does Douglas claim led to the recovery of an entire village?
(a) Appendix removal.
(b) Liver removal.
(c) Emotional attachment.
(d) Tooth removal.
10. For Douglas, what does winning require?
11. What does Genesis provide in relation to animals?
12. How do people with wills and intelligence respond, according to Douglas?
13. What does Douglas say primitive cultures represent more than modern cultures?
(a) Fragmented rules.
(b) Rituals and rites.
(d) Pattern rules.
14. According to Durkheim, the rules of separation are features of what?
(a) The purity.
(b) The sacred.
(c) The faith.
(d) The pollution.
15. Which of the following serves as Douglas' distinction between primitive and modern culture?
(a) Observing taboo.
(b) Cosmic pollution.
(c) Social pollution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Douglas describe as morality's intent to ensure?
2. Douglas believes that if you maintain holiness, what will you be safe from?
3. Who criticized Frazer for being complacent?
4. What does Douglas believe has inspired the distinction between primitive and non-primitive cultures?
5. Where did the classification of animals come from?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)