|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a form of transportation Roxana used when running away?
2. Why does Tom promise to protect Roxana when she runs away?
3. Who was spotted leaving the house the night of the murder?
4. What did Judge Driscoll do early the morning after Tom's humiliation at the meeting?
5. What has Wilson never been able to read much in his palm reading hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom tell Judge Driscoll he did not challenge Luigi to a duel?
2. Why does Roxana want Tom to go to St. Louis?
3. How does Tom hide his appearance while robbing from his neighbors?
4. What does Tom do to make himself feel better after learning the truth about his birth?
5. What does Roxana make Tom promise to do before he goes to St. Louis after the duel?
6. What did Roxana threaten to do if Tom tried to send her back to the farm?
7. What does Luigi plan to do in response to what Judge Driscoll said on election day, and why doesn't he?
8. What happens when Tom rides to St. Louis to pay part of his gambling debt?
9. What does Tom say to embarrass David Wilson in front of the twins?
10. What happened when Tom tried to steal money from his uncle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aunt Patsy was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
How do the relationship between the farmers and the slaves affect the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how do these affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)