|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Judge Driscoll do to repair the family name after hearing about Tom's humiliation at the meeting?
2. Who does Tom go to hoping for a sympathetic ear about his humiliation at the meeting?
3. What happens at the end of the meeting?
4. Which of the following was NOT a form of transportation Roxana used when running away?
5. Why did Luigi kill a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Wilson respond to the idea that Tom gives about why his plan hasn't worked to catch the thief?
2. What did Roxana threaten to do if Tom tried to send her back to the farm?
3. Why are the twins accused of murdering Judge Driscoll?
4. Why does Tom tell Judge Driscoll he did not challenge Luigi to a duel?
5. Why does Tom tell Wilson he thinks his plan has not worked to catch the thief?
6. Why does Roxana want Tom to go to St. Louis?
7. What happened when Tom tried to steal money from his uncle?
8. What does Roxana make Tom promise to do before he goes to St. Louis after the duel?
9. What does Luigi plan to do in response to what Judge Driscoll said on election day, and why doesn't he?
10. When does Tom steal from his neighbors' houses and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This plot takes place during the slavery era. How did this time shape the main characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Who were the main suspects for the murder, and what made them such prime suspects?
Essay Topic 3
Luigi and Angelo are two characters who are very similar in their natures, but are markedly different in other ways. Use some examples from the text to compare and contrast these two dynamic characters.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)