|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tom choose the time he does to commit crimes?
2. How does Tom decide to handle his humiliation at the meeting?
3. Who gave Roxana some money after she escaped?
4. What does Judge Driscoll call the twins in his speech on Election Day?
5. Where does Tom meet with Roxana after she was sold?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roxana do to help her son pay his debts?
2. How does Wilson respond to the idea that Tom gives about why his plan hasn't worked to catch the thief?
3. What does Judge Driscoll do on Election Day?
4. What happens when Tom rides to St. Louis to pay part of his gambling debt?
5. Why does Tom tell Wilson he thinks his plan has not worked to catch the thief?
6. Why are the twins accused of murdering Judge Driscoll?
7. What did Roxana threaten to do if Tom tried to send her back to the farm?
8. What happens when Wilson reads Luigi's palm?
9. What is Wilson's plan to catch the thief?
10. How did Roxana escape from the farmer she was sold to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What does "down river" symbolize to the characters in this book, and how does this affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)